The board's server will undergo upgrade maintenance tonight, Nov 5, 2014, beginning approximately around 10 PM ET. Prepare for some possible down time during this process.
FAQ    Search

Board index » Word on the Street » Other Bands




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1647 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 67, 68, 69, 70, 71, 72, 73 ... 83  Next
Author Message
 Post subject: Re: Bruce Springsteen
PostPosted: Wed April 01, 2020 3:37 pm 
Offline
User avatar
NEVER STOP JAMMING!
 Profile

Joined: Wed January 02, 2013 3:36 pm
Posts: 24940
Location: Mizzou
Magic is the high water mark of his late career output.


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Bruce Springsteen
PostPosted: Thu April 02, 2020 12:27 am 
Offline
User avatar
Future Drummer
 Profile

Joined: Wed January 02, 2013 4:07 pm
Posts: 3301
Nah, western stars


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Bruce Springsteen
PostPosted: Thu April 02, 2020 12:36 am 
Offline
User avatar
Future Drummer
 Profile

Joined: Tue January 01, 2013 3:07 pm
Posts: 2028
Monkey_Driven wrote:
Magic is the high water mark of his late career output.

i got bugs wrote:
Nah, western stars

You could throw The Rising in here too, the ebb and flow of his forty-seven year career is fairly remarkable.

_________________
absinthe makes the heart grow fonder...


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Bruce Springsteen
PostPosted: Thu April 02, 2020 1:02 am 
Offline
User avatar
The Master
 Profile

Joined: Sun May 25, 2014 9:32 pm
Posts: 45317
Location: Garbage Dump
All three are good records, but Western Stars is more consistent than Magic or The Rising. The Rising has the highest highs, though.

_________________
dimejinky99 wrote:
Take that post and push it off a bridge.


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Bruce Springsteen
PostPosted: Thu April 02, 2020 1:06 am 
Offline
User avatar
Fake NYC Setlist Relayer
 Profile

Joined: Tue January 01, 2013 6:06 pm
Posts: 7419
LoathedVermin72 wrote:
I declare Lucky Town and High Hopes to be the most underrated Springsteen albums. I have a soft spot for Human Touch too but half of it sucks.


Have you listened to the Tracks box set? Almost all of the 4th disc is songs from the Human Touch/Lucky Town sessions, many of them great. Some of his best vocals on record, in my opinion.


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Bruce Springsteen
PostPosted: Thu April 02, 2020 1:09 am 
Offline
User avatar
The Master
 Profile

Joined: Tue January 01, 2013 3:48 pm
Posts: 44824
Location: Mountains
If i should fall behind, wait for me.


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Bruce Springsteen
PostPosted: Thu April 02, 2020 1:10 am 
Offline
User avatar
The Master
 Profile

Joined: Sun May 25, 2014 9:32 pm
Posts: 45317
Location: Garbage Dump
Don’t tell me what to do

_________________
dimejinky99 wrote:
Take that post and push it off a bridge.


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Bruce Springsteen
PostPosted: Thu April 02, 2020 4:59 pm 
Offline
Future Drummer
 Profile

Joined: Thu January 03, 2013 7:55 pm
Posts: 3039
Ms Harmless wrote:
Stardog Champion wrote:
rick malone wrote:
Ms Harmless wrote:
where should one start if they were intrigued to hear more Bruce? the last I heard was a bit of the famous 80s stuff (I'm not afraid of the cheese, I was a Bryan Adams fan), and "Streets of Philadelphia" is 100% my aesthetic

I've been inspired to try again with his sound by its influence on Gigaton, notably "Seven O'Clock"

The song "Secret Garden"

But real Bruce is his first few albums IMO. Try Blinded By The Light, Incident at 57th Street, Rosalita, Born To Run, Tenth Avenure Freeze Out.


And then if you want something newer from him, I'd say go with the Magic album.


OK awesome, thanks!


While you are there, listen to Born to Run cover to cover. It’s one of those albums you can get lost in, become those characters, and come out of it with a different understanding of who and what Bruce Springsteen and is music can be. But for me, that exercise must be done with no interruptions and no side distractions. It’s the biggest statement, amongst many, that Bruce ever made.


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Bruce Springsteen
PostPosted: Thu April 02, 2020 6:52 pm 
Offline
AnalLog
 Profile

Joined: Tue January 14, 2020 5:06 pm
Posts: 1198
Location: northwest midwest
Strat wrote:
If i should fall behind, wait for me.


that was my wife's and my wedding song. got the lyrics framed on the wall.


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Bruce Springsteen
PostPosted: Thu April 02, 2020 8:25 pm 
Offline
User avatar
Future Drummer
 Profile

Joined: Tue January 01, 2013 3:07 pm
Posts: 2028
Kevin Davis wrote:
LoathedVermin72 wrote:
I declare Lucky Town and High Hopes to be the most underrated Springsteen albums. I have a soft spot for Human Touch too but half of it sucks.


Have you listened to the Tracks box set? Almost all of the 4th disc is songs from the Human Touch/Lucky Town sessions, many of them great. Some of his best vocals on record, in my opinion.

Damn you KD... listened to Tracks after reading this and then tossed on some bootlegs. As much as I enjoy the albums I adore a ton of non-album material and tend to go on jaunts of solely those releases. I tend to do the same for the Stones, and oasis for that matter, thankfully there is a wealth of material to select from.

_________________
absinthe makes the heart grow fonder...


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Bruce Springsteen
PostPosted: Fri April 03, 2020 10:40 pm 
Offline
User avatar
likes rhythmic things that butt up against each other
 Profile

Joined: Sun January 06, 2013 4:25 am
Posts: 748
Monkey_Driven wrote:
Magic is the high water mark of his late career output.


I'm completely with you on this. The Rising and Western Stars are both good for sure...but IMO neither compares to Magic which I think is far and away his best post-Tunnel of Love work.


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Bruce Springsteen
PostPosted: Sat April 04, 2020 2:06 am 
Offline
Rank This Poster
 Profile

Joined: Sun January 26, 2020 12:10 pm
Posts: 3625
Location: Warwickshire, UK
so the first album I've gone into is "Born to Run"

I'm listening now

and it immediately occurs to me how much of an influence this obviously was to Counting Crows, particularly on "Hard Candy", and I've never made that connection before


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Bruce Springsteen
PostPosted: Sat April 04, 2020 1:49 pm 
Offline
Future Drummer
 Profile

Joined: Thu January 03, 2013 7:55 pm
Posts: 3039
Ms Harmless wrote:
so the first album I've gone into is "Born to Run"

I'm listening now

and it immediately occurs to me how much of an influence this obviously was to Counting Crows, particularly on "Hard Candy", and I've never made that connection before

I love that album. Has grown to top 10 all time from any artist. It’s such a great self contained masterpiece. Amazing that he nearly shelved it at the last minute and had to be convinced to release it.


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Bruce Springsteen
PostPosted: Sat April 04, 2020 1:53 pm 
Offline
Future Drummer
 Profile

Joined: Thu January 03, 2013 7:55 pm
Posts: 3039
As a side double post, spending a morning with Bruce on the turntable. Playing Greetings from Asbury Park. This album is nearly great. His flaw, fixed IMO, in The Wild... is his embracing of his band’s sound instead of using them as useful background. Nonetheless, Blinded By the Light, Growin’ Up, Lost in the Flood, For You, Spirit in the Night, and It’s Hard to Be a Saint in the City are all among personal favorites. That would be 6 of the 9 songs on this album.


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Bruce Springsteen
PostPosted: Sat April 04, 2020 1:56 pm 
Offline
User avatar
Stone's Bitch
 Profile

Joined: Tue January 01, 2013 6:47 pm
Posts: 8912
Location: unnamed mental hospital
Thurman Murman wrote:
Monkey_Driven wrote:
Magic is the high water mark of his late career output.


I'm completely with you on this. The Rising and Western Stars are both good for sure...but IMO neither compares to Magic which I think is far and away his best post-Tunnel of Love work.

agreed

_________________
Strat wrote:
Alas, we are RM


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Bruce Springsteen
PostPosted: Sat April 04, 2020 2:04 pm 
Offline
Future Drummer
 Profile

Joined: Thu January 03, 2013 7:55 pm
Posts: 3039
evenslow wrote:
Thurman Murman wrote:
Monkey_Driven wrote:
Magic is the high water mark of his late career output.


I'm completely with you on this. The Rising and Western Stars are both good for sure...but IMO neither compares to Magic which I think is far and away his best post-Tunnel of Love work.

agreed


I would say that Magic, The Rising, and Western Stars are all close. The Seeger Sessions, if you count them, are probably tops...but I would say post -Born in the USA since I prefer all of those albums to Tunnel of Love.


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Bruce Springsteen
PostPosted: Sat April 04, 2020 2:12 pm 
Offline
User avatar
Stone's Bitch
 Profile

Joined: Tue January 01, 2013 6:47 pm
Posts: 8912
Location: unnamed mental hospital
liebzz wrote:
evenslow wrote:
Thurman Murman wrote:
Monkey_Driven wrote:
Magic is the high water mark of his late career output.


I'm completely with you on this. The Rising and Western Stars are both good for sure...but IMO neither compares to Magic which I think is far and away his best post-Tunnel of Love work.

agreed


I would say that Magic, The Rising, and Western Stars are all close. The Seeger Sessions, if you count them, are probably tops...but I would say post -Born in the USA since I prefer all of those albums to Tunnel of Love.

my retracked Rising might take the cake. that album was always way too long.

_________________
Strat wrote:
Alas, we are RM


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Bruce Springsteen
PostPosted: Sat April 04, 2020 3:15 pm 
Offline
User avatar
NEVER STOP JAMMING!
 Profile

Joined: Wed January 02, 2013 3:36 pm
Posts: 24940
Location: Mizzou
evenslow wrote:
liebzz wrote:
evenslow wrote:
Thurman Murman wrote:
Monkey_Driven wrote:
Magic is the high water mark of his late career output.


I'm completely with you on this. The Rising and Western Stars are both good for sure...but IMO neither compares to Magic which I think is far and away his best post-Tunnel of Love work.

agreed


I would say that Magic, The Rising, and Western Stars are all close. The Seeger Sessions, if you count them, are probably tops...but I would say post -Born in the USA since I prefer all of those albums to Tunnel of Love.

my retracked Rising might take the cake. that album was always way too long.


What is your retracking?


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Bruce Springsteen
PostPosted: Sat April 04, 2020 4:06 pm 
Offline
Future Drummer
 Profile

Joined: Thu January 03, 2013 7:55 pm
Posts: 3039
The Rising should be retracted- not necessarily because it is too long (it may be) but because it is poorly sequenced. It has the themes all right there but jumbled out of order. For a man who can tell stories at his level it’s surprising. A song like My City of Ruins should have been closer to the front of the album, and it should end on a big closing statement like The Rising. Just my thoughts.


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Bruce Springsteen
PostPosted: Sat April 04, 2020 4:08 pm 
Offline
User avatar
The Master
 Profile

Joined: Sun May 25, 2014 9:32 pm
Posts: 45317
Location: Garbage Dump
The Rising is absurdly bloated. Virtually no albums should ever be over 70 minutes. That's fucking insane.

_________________
dimejinky99 wrote:
Take that post and push it off a bridge.


Top
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1647 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 67, 68, 69, 70, 71, 72, 73 ... 83  Next

Board index » Word on the Street » Other Bands


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 8 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
It is currently Sat February 27, 2021 10:14 pm