The board's server will undergo upgrade maintenance tonight, Nov 5, 2014, beginning approximately around 10 PM ET. Prepare for some possible down time during this process.
FAQ    Search

Board index » Word on the Street » Other Bands

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1892 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 83, 84, 85, 86, 87, 88, 89 ... 95  Next
 Post subject: Re: Bruce Springsteen
PostPosted: Fri February 18, 2022 1:31 pm 
Future Drummer

lecherouslittlestump wrote:
I lose interest by Disc 4. The quality suffers. It was supposed to be 6-8 discs originally IIRC.

I enjoy Back in Your Arms quite a bit but anything I get from that era of Bruce is extremely compelling to me.

I'd really like for the full studio version of American Skin (41 Shots) to be included on the next vault collection, should it ever come to fruition.

PostPosted: Fri February 18, 2022 2:37 pm 
Fake NYC Setlist Relayer

I am most of the way through now. 64/69 songs. I would say there are a few songs in the last part that aren’t great, Trouble in Paradise is awful and Happy is not so hot. It picks back up with Part Man Part Monkey and Goin’ Cali. I do think overall that this disc, while not his best work, is leaps and bounds better than Human Touch which is where a lot of this came from.

PostPosted: Fri February 18, 2022 3:45 pm 
tl;dr

liebzz wrote:
I am most of the way through now. 64/69 songs. I would say there are a few songs in the last part that aren’t great, Trouble in Paradise is awful and Happy is not so hot. It picks back up with Part Man Part Monkey and Goin’ Cali. I do think overall that this disc, while not his best work, is leaps and bounds better than Human Touch which is where a lot of this came from.

Cringey lyrics on a lot of those songs, but man some of them are catchy! I prefer CD4 of Tracks to both Human Touch and Lucky Town -- definitely enough to say there could have been one solid, B+ level Bruce album out of all of that stuff. And "Brothers Under the Bridge" is my favorite song from the Joad sessions. Great box set.

PostPosted: Wed February 23, 2022 8:40 pm 
Fake NYC Setlist Relayer

Inspired by Tracks, and in doing so trying to Will Springsteen to announce dates I can attend, I made an epic (for me) playlist. As with anything I do with bands that exist in the favorites of my preferences, I had a hard time holding back or whittling down - though I did do a substantial amount of that - I at least limited myself to what’s on Spotify (sorry Neil), and to ensure I tackled as much as possible, put it in 5 Parts (by decade) - the 70s and 80s get 25 tracks each, while the rest 20 each. Not in chronological order outside of that except where logic dictated. I’ll tackle each in separate posts - an over-indulgent side journey if there ever was one:

Part 1 - Bruce in the 70s

Thunder Road (live) - Hammersmith Odeon ‘75
Growin’ Up - Greetings From Asbury Park
Thundercrack - Tracks
Kitty’s Back - The Wild, The Innocent & the E Street Shuffle
Adam Raised A Cain - Darkness on the Edge of Town
Prove It All Night - Darkness on the Edge of Town
Backstreets - Born to Run
Badlands - Darkness on the Edge of Town
Because the Night - The Promise
Racing in the Street ‘78 - The Promise
The Promise - Tracks
The Promised Land - Darkness on the Edge of Town
Candy’s Room - Darkness on the Edge of Town
She’s the One - Born to Run
Ain’t Good Enough For You - The Promise
The Fever - Tracks
The E Street Shuffle - The Wild, the Innocent & the E Street Shuffle
Spirit in the Night - Greetings From Asbury Park
Incident on 57th Street - The Wild, the Innocent & the E Street Shuffle
4th of July, Asbury Park (Sandy) - The Wild, the Innocent & the E Street Shuffle
Lost in the Flood - Greetings From Asbury Park
Rosalita (Come Out Tonight) - The Wild, the Innocent & the E Street Shuffle
Born to Run - Born to Run
Jungleland - The Legendary No Nukes Concert
Quarter to Three - The Legendary No Nukes Concert

This is the longest of the playlists at 2 hours and 21 mins, but if you don’t like Springsteen after this, you will never like it.

https://open.spotify.com/playlist/6bZl5 ... HFCLW99kQw

PostPosted: Wed February 23, 2022 9:10 pm 
Fake NYC Setlist Relayer

Part 2 - Bruce in the 80s

In this one, I took a little creative license (if it was meant for The River but recorded before it got placed here - in part because the prior playlist was so stacked). Admittedly, a little light on Nebraska but not for lack of love so much as the center songs in this playlist is one bleak song after another and you can only hold that vibe for so long. Same with Tunnel of Love in that those songs are sneakily a bummer in spots even though they are great. I want to say this showcases Bruce as not just the pop artist the casual fan sees of his 80s output while simultaneously celebrating that part of his work.

Meet Me in the City - The Ties That Bind Outtakes
Out in the Street - The River
Sherry Darling - The Legendary No Nukes Concert
Ramrod - The River
Hungry Heart - The River
Glory Days - Born in the USA
My Love Will Not Let You Down - Tracks
Restless Nights - Tracks
Frankie - Tracks
Independence Day - The River
My Father’s House - Nebraska
The River - The River
Point Blank - The River
Drive All Night - The River
Atlantic City - Nebraska
Johnny 99 - Nebraska
Open All Night - Nebraska
One Step Up - Tunnel of Love
Brilliant Disguise - Tunnel of Love
Working on the Highway - Born in the USA
Bobby Jean - Born in the USA
Cover Me - Born in the USA
Born in the USA - Born in the USA
Dancing in the Dark - Born in the USA
My Hometown - Born in the USA

https://open.spotify.com/playlist/6DiRB ... a5D_AFQCOg

PostPosted: Wed February 23, 2022 9:21 pm 
Fake NYC Setlist Relayer

Part 3 - Bruce in the 90s

This one was damn hard after the joy of the first two. The whole conception of this both hinges on making a playlist from this decade and the whole thing nearly fell apart on this. I just find this to be his dead zone, his Backspacer/Lightning Bolt era where the stuff was good enough but not nearly on the level of the 70s and 80s. Here we also get more succinct with 20 songs, though I honestly replaced a lot of it on the fly and a few songs I almost put on there didn’t belong anyway.

Red headed Woman - “Plugged”
Seven Angels - Tracks
Leavin’ Train - Tracks
Human Touch - Human Touch
Trouble River - 18 Tracks
When the Lights Go Out - Tracks
Sad Eyes - Tracks
Lucky Town - Lucky Town
Youngstown - The Ghost of Tom Joad
The Ghost of Tom Joad - The Ghost of Tom Joad
Streets of Philadelphia - Philadelphia Soundtrack
Give It a Name - Tracks
High Hopes - Blood Brothers EP
Part Man, Part Monkey - Tracks
Goin’ Cali - Tracks
The Big Muddy - Lucky Town
Secret Garden - Greatest Hits
Souls of the Departed - Lucky Town
Murder Incorporated (live) - Blood Brothers EP
Blood Brothers - Blood Brothers EP

https://open.spotify.com/playlist/7GvpU ... Ce7wTLk_9g

PostPosted: Wed February 23, 2022 9:26 pm 
tl;dr

Man, "Ain't Good Enough For You" is just a good old time, isn't it?

PostPosted: Wed February 23, 2022 9:31 pm 
Fake NYC Setlist Relayer

Part 4 - Bruce in the 00s

Another I struggled with, though not for a lack of material. The question turned on the massively different vibe between the reformation of the E Street Band and two massive albums from that (The Rising and Magic) juxtaposed against Devils & Dust and We Shall Overcome, a very different but no less great other vibe. The former won out, and ending the 90s playlist with the E Street highlights should segue right into its full rebirth in the 00s. And frankly I had to start this where it all began again - controversy!

American Skin (41 Shots) - Live in New York
Radio Nowhere - Magic
Further On (Up the Road) - The Rising
Livin’ in the Future - Magic
Lonesome Day - The Rising
Waiting On a Sunny Day - The Rising
Gypsy Biker - Magic
The Fuse - The Rising
Good Eye - Working on a Dream
The Wrestler - Working on a Dream
My Oklahoma Home - Live in Dublin
Pay Me My Money Down - Live in Dublin
When the Saints Go Marching In - Live in Dublin
American Land - Live in Dublin
Mary’s Place - The Rising
Outlaw Pete - Working on a Dream
Magic - Magic
Girls In Their Summer Clothes - Magic
All the Way Home - Devils & Dust
My City of Ruins - The Rising

Two of the songs (Sunny Day and American Land) are there because my wife loves them and this gets no car ride time without them. Further On Up the Road was a debate because there are better songs, but I felt like it just fit in that spot.

https://open.spotify.com/playlist/0BoJQ ... tyo6rEiSnw

PostPosted: Wed February 23, 2022 9:33 pm 
Fake NYC Setlist Relayer

Kevin Davis wrote:
Man, "Ain't Good Enough For You" is just a good old time, isn't it?

I have no shame in saying it is one of my favorite Springsteen songs - the finest example in the alternate universe where Springsteen isn’t a pseudo-serious storytelling voice of a generation, but a pure song and dance man.

PostPosted: Wed February 23, 2022 9:43 pm 
Fake NYC Setlist Relayer

Part 5 - Bruce in the Present

This was a different issue than the other playlists in that since 2010, he just hasn’t released much that wasn’t some level of archived material. It seems in this decade the Boss mostly got right in releasing all those archived shows (bring them to all digital platforms, pretty please!!), but new original material was few and far between - and let’s face it, Western Stars is the creative spark of the decade and gets most of my attention, including here:

One Minute You’re Here - Letter to You
We Take Care of Our Own - Wrecking Ball
Ghosts - Letter to You
Easy Money - Wrecking Ball
Down in the Hole - High Hopes
Death to My Hometown - Wrecking Ball
Hitchhiking - Western Stars
If I Was the Priest - Letter to You
Janey Needs a Shooter - Letter to You
Sleepy Joe’s Cafe - Western Stars
Hello Sunshine - Western Stars
Hunter of Invisible Game - High Hopes
We Are Alive - Wrecking Ball
The Wayfarer - Western Stars
Western Stars - Western Stars
Moonlight Motel - Western Stars
Tuscon Train - Western Stars
There Goes My Miracle - Western Stars
Land of Hopes and Dreams - Live in New York
Dream Baby Dream - High Hopes

Note that all of the Western Stars are the live versions from the film - frankly that whole release (the live versions) could have been this playlist and I would be fully satisfied. The rest is stuff I do love but I hope fits some sort of arc in the playlist.

https://open.spotify.com/playlist/4wlCO ... USkquE-adw

PostPosted: Wed February 23, 2022 11:24 pm 
Future Drummer

liebzz wrote:

In this one, I took a little creative license (if it was meant for The River but recorded before it got placed here - in part because the prior playlist was so stacked). Admittedly, a little light on Nebraska but not for lack of love so much as the center songs in this playlist is one bleak song after another and you can only hold that vibe for so long. Same with Tunnel of Love in that those songs are sneakily a bummer in spots even though they are great. I want to say this showcases Bruce as not just the pop artist the casual fan sees of his 80s output while simultaneously celebrating that part of his work.

One of my absolute favorite things about Tunnel of Love.

PostPosted: Wed February 23, 2022 11:37 pm 
Fake NYC Setlist Relayer

oasisfan35 wrote:
liebzz wrote:

Fair enough, though my preferences for the songs on The River and Nebraska won the day there. Tunnel of Love is just that album I need to give more careful spins and time. Same with Devils & Dust. They are both better than I give them credit for.

PostPosted: Wed February 23, 2022 11:46 pm 
Future Drummer

liebzz wrote:
oasisfan35 wrote:
liebzz wrote:

Fair enough, though my preferences for the songs on The River and Nebraska won the day there. Tunnel of Love is just that album I need to give more careful spins and time. Same with Devils & Dust. They are both better than I give them credit for.

Well it is a very daunting task.
Devils & Dust, that tour and the Storytellers release have gotten a lot of my time over the years.

PostPosted: Mon April 04, 2022 12:44 pm 
Future Drummer

Missed this being released Friday:

Quote:
Waldbühne, Berlin, Germany – May 14, 1993
Though Springsteen’s 1992-93 World Tour ran a full calendar year, his first outing sans E Street Band carried the sense of a perpetual work in progress for good reason.

Bruce had not one but two albums’ worth of material to integrate from Human Touch and Lucky Town; a challenging balance to strike between familiar and new material; and a bigger, rootsy-er band attempting to hold its own in the shadow of E Street, but from which he could summon the magical vocal power of a gospel choir. As my friend Aaron would say, a tricky biscuit.

The previous Archive release from this tour, Boston 12/13/92, featured 16 songs from the new companion albums. Five months later in Berlin, the main set shifted significantly, as nine songs from Human Touch and Lucky Town are joined by 14 “classics” (six culled from Born in the U.S.A.), five covers, plus a four-song acoustic appetizer to open the show, a unique design feature of the European gigs.

What the result lacks in narrative cohesion it makes up for in distinct, compelling moments as Bruce—alone, and with his new (save for Roy Bittan) companions—walks an alternate musical path through it all. Berlin 5/14/93 serves as an exemplar of the unique period that was Europe ’93.

As the lone keyboard player on the 1992-93 tour, Bittan does a lot of heavy lifting. A greater-than-usual reliance on synthesizers, primarily via Roy’s Yamaha DX7 (the first widely adopted digital synth), is akin to Max Weinberg’s drum triggers on the back half of the Born in the U.S.A. tour.

Both belong to a specific place and time in the sonic landscape, because they are so prominent in the live mix of their respective eras, they can feel obtrusive by today’s standards. If you find yourself bumping on Roy’s DX7, recalibrate your modern ears—this is the sound of 1992-93.

Berlin opens with something we can all agree on: a wonderful, four-song acoustic set that commences with the Christic Institute arrangements of “Darkness on the Edge of Town” and “Adam Raised a Cain.” How thrilling it must have been to see these solo performances in their striking new renditions, and Bruce was just getting started.

The world premiere of “Satan’s Jeweled Crown” follows, with Bruce joined by the backup singers who emphasize the church-pew side of the “country-gospel song” first popularized by the Louvin Brothers. The stately hymn only appeared in the set six times, five in Europe in 1993, making this a rare and welcome addition to the Live Archive series.

If those three tunes to start weren’t enough, how about the shorts-soiling inclusion of unreleased-at-the-time BIUSA outtake “This Hard Land”? When met with a knowing cheer, Bruce responds, “Yeah, you bought the bootlegs. You shouldn’t have done it.” The song was still two years away from its official release on Greatest Hits In 1995, so for hardcore fans, “This Hard Land” in the show was a holy grail.

As noted above, Springsteen taps his classic catalog further in Berlin than he did in 1992, with some tracks translating off E Street more successfully than others. The choir vocals of the backup singers bring a soulful sweetness to songs like “Hungry Heart” and “Working on the Highway.” The 1992-93 band always nails “Badlands” and does here, too.

A spare take of “The River,” which the audience greets with an enormous cheer, is the vocal highlight. Bruce sings it fresh, poignant, and true above Bittan’s gorgeous piano. The peak comes with the trio of “Downbound Train,” “Because the Night,” and “Brilliant Disguise.” The last of these offers unexpectedly intriguing guitar from Shane Fontayne, while Bruce himself tears off a steamy solo in “Because the Night,” which also gains gravitas from the vocalists.

But there’s no mistaking the rise in Bruce’s enthusiasm when he moves from songs like “Atlantic City” and “My Hometown” to Human Touch/Lucky Town material like “Man’s Job” and “Leap of Faith.” Vocal inflection and energy signal his commitment, and, to a song, the recent additions have strong outings in Berlin, with fine performances of “Better Days,” “Lucky Town,” “Human Touch,” and the elegiac, underrated encore high point, “My Beautiful Reward.”

The one place where old and new combine to stirring effect is the denouement coupling of “Souls of the Departed” and “Born in the U.S.A.,” framed by several Jimi Hendrix-inspired bars of “The Star-Spangled Banner.” With Roy Bittan triggering news soundbites of troubles, domestic and foreign, these parallel stories of the human toll taken by such conflicts form one seamless, biting statement that lands harder than anything else in the show.

Bruce’s choice of covers also confers deep resonance on the Berlin performance. The aforementioned “Satan’s Jeweled Crown” is a God-fearing, serious tune and sits right at the intersection of the church and the Opry. “Who’ll Stop the Rain” and “Rockin’ All Over the World” are familiar fare, yet always welcome, especially with big gospel voices adding layers of soul. Those voices come up even bigger on Jimmy Cliff’s “Many Rivers to Cross,” presented in straightforward and powerful fashion. It was one of the consistent highlights of these 1993 concerts.

Speaking of resurrections, after four sterling performances on 1988’s Tunnel of Love Express Tour, Springsteen brought “Across the Borderline” back into four 1993 setlists, the last of which was Berlin. The song is most closely associated with Ry Cooder, who wrote it with John Hiatt and Jim Dickson. Like Tom Waits’ “Jersey Girl,” “Across the Borderline” is a leading candidate for the most Springsteen-esque song Bruce has covered but didn’t write. The Berlin version is blessed with the heartfelt vocals of Gia Ciambotti, Carol Dennis, Cleopatra Kennedy, Bobby King, and Angel Rogers, who bring majesty to a predominantly synthesizer- and guitar-led arrangement.

Such 1993 highpoints surely inspired Springsteen to combine the best of both worlds in 2012 as the Wrecking Ball tour brought E Street Band and E Street Choir together. In fact, “Many Rivers to Cross” featured in the last warm-up gig in Austin before the start of the proper Wrecking Ball tour.

Work-in-progress or not, the 1993 European tour, as captured on a May night in Berlin, remains a fascinating exploration of Bruce’s wide, musical aperture, especially when seen as the antecedent for some of what was to come.

Don't have many recordings from this era so looking forward to giving a listen.

PostPosted: Fri April 08, 2022 9:42 pm 
Fake NYC Setlist Relayer

Nugs just announced this 360 sound thing and added about a half dozen Springsteen shows for streaming. Currently listening to The Roxy 10/18/75 and it sounds great.

PostPosted: Fri April 08, 2022 9:49 pm 
The Master

liebzz wrote:
Nugs just announced this 360 sound thing and added about a half dozen Springsteen shows for streaming. Currently listening to The Roxy 10/18/75 and it sounds great.

yea but do you have proper headphones for this?

PostPosted: Fri April 08, 2022 9:59 pm 
Stone's Bitch

when is this fucker going on tour?

PostPosted: Fri April 08, 2022 10:00 pm 
Fake NYC Setlist Relayer

No but it sounds better than what is on Spotify and I pay for the better sound on that too.

PostPosted: Fri April 08, 2022 10:00 pm 
The Master

evenslow wrote:

Seriously, he aint getting any younger. Im worried!

PostPosted: Fri April 08, 2022 10:01 pm 
Fake NYC Setlist Relayer

evenslow wrote:

Who knows. He said this year but already we’re looking at the Fall at best.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1892 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 83, 84, 85, 86, 87, 88, 89 ... 95  Next

Board index » Word on the Street » Other Bands