The board's server will undergo upgrade maintenance tonight, Nov 5, 2014, beginning approximately around 10 PM ET. Prepare for some possible down time during this process.
FAQ    Search

Board index » Word on the Street » Other Bands

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1890 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34 ... 95  Next
 Post subject: Re: Bruce Springsteen
PostPosted: Mon August 21, 2017 1:49 pm 
The Master

Thurman Murman wrote:
Monkey_Driven wrote:
lecherouslittlestump wrote:
so are we in agreement that the boss has sucked since 2007? still a great live performer but between the reissues and the broadway show and the greatest hits tour...bruce used to be the guy you pointed to as an example of an older performer who was still releasing relevant quality work. not so much now.

he really needs to release a killer album. wrecking ball was decent, but his last great one was Magic.

I think sucked is a very strong word for his last ten years.

Agreed. Nothing he's put out in the last 10 years matches Magic, but i'd hardly say he sucks.

And he still puts on a great live show considering his age and band lineup changes.

PostPosted: Fri October 13, 2017 1:55 pm 
Thread Killer

Anyone (looking at Joey here) gonna see Springsteen on Broadway?

PostPosted: Fri October 13, 2017 8:35 pm 
Legacy of Love
 WWW  Profile

dpupenya wrote:

I've thought about it. But that thing sold out in like a second. And the secondary market prices are gonna be out of control. If I'm lucky enough to stumble into a ticket somehow, I'll go. But I don't think I can spend that kind of money. We'll see. It's not totally off the table.

PostPosted: Fri October 13, 2017 8:43 pm 
10Club Complaint Department

durdencommatyler wrote:
dpupenya wrote:

I've thought about it. But that thing sold out in like a second. And the secondary market prices are gonna be out of control. If I'm lucky enough to stumble into a ticket somehow, I'll go. But I don't think I can spend that kind of money. We'll see. It's not totally off the table.

There are lotteries for each show I believe. About $75.

PostPosted: Fri October 13, 2017 8:57 pm 
Legacy of Love
 WWW  Profile

LetMeSleep wrote:
durdencommatyler wrote:
dpupenya wrote:

There are lotteries for each show I believe. About $75.

I literally just saw that. Definitely gonna check that out. I may also call the box office and see what house seats (if there are any) cost. Might be worth it if they're not too crazy.

PostPosted: Fri October 13, 2017 9:44 pm 
The Master

I just want him to release that solo album he's been sitting on for a few years.

PostPosted: Sun October 15, 2017 9:04 pm 
known prankster

Monkey_Driven wrote:
I just want him to release that solo album he's been sitting on for a few years.

I can't imagine that record is any good considering he decided to release High Hopes - an album of outtakes and covers - over an album of original material.

He recently admitted that he hadn't written any songs since Wrecking Ball, so we're going back to like 2011.

PostPosted: Mon October 16, 2017 12:48 am 
The Master

Monkey_Driven wrote:

I can't imagine that record is any good considering he decided to release High Hopes - an album of outtakes and covers - over an album of original material.

He recently admitted that he hadn't written any songs since Wrecking Ball, so we're going back to like 2011.

You're probably right. I kind of think he released High Hopes because he wanted to tour with the band though.

PostPosted: Mon October 16, 2017 1:39 am 
Stone's Bitch

Monkey_Driven wrote:
Monkey_Driven wrote:

You're probably right. I kind of think he released High Hopes because he wanted to tour with the band though.

Yeah that seems the most likely reason. The solo record sounds super intriguing but I'll admit I'm suspicious about something that's been on the shelf that long.

PostPosted: Mon October 16, 2017 1:44 am 
tl;dr

Bruce has made a career of leaving great music on the shelf (it took him 20 years to put out a version of "The Promise"). I don't think the fact that the album hasn't been released says anything about its potential quality; sometimes certain things just don't fit in with an artist's vision for a particular moment in time, and when the moment passes they've moved onto other things. This seems especially true for artists like Bruce who follow a variety of muses. I'm sure it will come out eventually.

PostPosted: Mon October 16, 2017 1:51 am 
Stone's Bitch

Kevin Davis wrote:
Bruce has made a career of leaving great music on the shelf (it took him 20 years to put out a version of "The Promise"). I don't think the fact that the album hasn't been released says anything about its potential quality; sometimes certain things just don't fit in with an artist's vision for a particular moment in time, and when the moment passes they've moved onto other things. This seems especially true for artists like Bruce who follow a variety of muses. I'm sure it will come out eventually.

While I agree with this, especially in relation to how Bruce has done his career, if something is hot-to-trot fucking great, you can't wait to release the thing.

PostPosted: Mon October 16, 2017 1:56 am 
tl;dr

I mean, I doubt it ends up being on the shortlist of his best albums, but I don't have difficulty imagining it being better than "High Hopes" or "Wrecking Ball."

PostPosted: Mon October 16, 2017 2:29 am 
Stone's Bitch

Kevin Davis wrote:
I mean, I doubt it ends up being on the shortlist of his best albums, but I don't have difficulty imagining it being better than "High Hopes" or "Wrecking Ball."

If it's not better than High Hopes he should pack it in.

PostPosted: Mon October 16, 2017 2:55 am 
The Master

evenslow wrote:
Kevin Davis wrote:

I'm a pretty big Bruce fan and I've blocked that release from my brain.

PostPosted: Mon October 16, 2017 2:59 am 
Stone's Bitch

Monkey_Driven wrote:
evenslow wrote:
Kevin Davis wrote:

I'm a pretty big Bruce fan and I've blocked that release from my brain.

Your brain thanks you.

PostPosted: Mon October 16, 2017 3:13 am 
tl;dr

There are a couple good songs on there -- I like "The Wall" and "Hunter of Invisible Game." Most of it is dreadful, though.

PostPosted: Mon October 16, 2017 3:20 am 
10Club Complaint Department

Remember that some to half of The Rising was written up to 8 years before it was released. He likes to shape and package his releases. High Hopes was an exception.

PostPosted: Mon October 16, 2017 12:21 pm 
Stone's Bitch

LetMeSleep wrote:
Remember that some to half of The Rising was written up to 8 years before it was released. He likes to shape and package his releases. High Hopes was an exception.

Just when I had lost all hope LMS sweeps in and rights the ship with his rabbinical sense of calm.

PostPosted: Mon October 16, 2017 2:26 pm 
The Master

evenslow wrote:
LetMeSleep wrote:

Just when I had lost all hope LMS sweeps in and rights the ship with his rabbinical sense of calm.

He really saved the day, didn't he?

PostPosted: Mon October 16, 2017 3:05 pm 
Stone's Bitch

Monkey_Driven wrote:
evenslow wrote:
LetMeSleep wrote:

He really saved the day, didn't he?

Impressive considering he normally only comes out at night.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1890 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34 ... 95  Next

Board index » Word on the Street » Other Bands