The board's server will undergo upgrade maintenance tonight, Nov 5, 2014, beginning approximately around 10 PM ET. Prepare for some possible down time during this process.
FAQ    Search

Board index » Word on the Street » Other Bands

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1892 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 80, 81, 82, 83, 84, 85, 86 ... 95  Next
 Post subject: Re: Bruce Springsteen
PostPosted: Tue January 05, 2021 4:46 pm 
Future Drummer

Strat wrote:
oasisfan35 wrote:
Wrecking Ball wasn't a full E Street record, I believe there were some random contributions though. I really came around to that record with the tour that followed with fine E Street renditions. High Hopes was an E Street effort that I don't believe I will ever come around to.

High Hopes was a hodgepodge of previous recordings i believe. I dont think High hopes counts.

Older compositions but new recordings.
Good interview though I still listen to the Blood Brothers and American Beauty EPs more often.

Ron Aniello wrote:
Many people were surprised the album was going to focus on older songs. Did that surprise you too?
No. For any other artist alive, that’s how they make records. It’s, “Oh, I got a song. It’s great.” Then it just ends up on the record. With any other artist, this would be completely acceptable. And we’re not saying it’s unacceptable to some fans. It’s just if you read fan sites you see people saying, “Oh, it’s older songs.”

But you have to understand it has its own story, in my opinion. This is the story of what he’s not willing to put on albums because they don’t fit. They just didn’t fit the particular story he was telling for each album. The first time I heard “Hunter of Invisible Game” I thought, “My God, this is one of your greats.” He went, “Yeah, it just never quite fit.” That’s the story of the record. So I’m not sure how fans are going to react, but it’s a great Bruce record. It’s a great rock & roll record. The fact they’re older songs doesn’t detract from the brilliance of the record.

PostPosted: Tue January 05, 2021 5:14 pm 
known prankster

LFY is a bit of a hodgepodge.

Half of the songs were written in 2018/2019. The other half were either from the 70s or were recorded in the 90s/00s.

There's no way a song like Burnin Train or One Minute You're Here or Rainmaker are modern day Bruce vocals.

PostPosted: Tue January 05, 2021 7:46 pm 
AnalLog

lecherouslittlestump wrote:

Half of the songs were written in 2018/2019. The other half were either from the 70s or were recorded in the 90s/00s.

There's no way a song like Burnin Train or One Minute You're Here or Rainmaker are modern day Bruce vocals.

Its my understanding the entire album was recorded live...obviously 3 of the songs were written in the 70s and i think Rainmaker may have originated during the Magic era, but i believe the end results on the album were all live recordings from late 2019.

PostPosted: Tue January 05, 2021 7:51 pm 
The Master

Thurman Murman wrote:

Its my understanding the entire album was recorded live...obviously 3 of the songs were written in the 70s and i think Rainmaker may have originated during the Magic era, but i believe the end results on the album were all live recordings from late 2019.

yea and its pretty evident watching the film of it

PostPosted: Wed January 06, 2021 2:11 pm 
known prankster

Thurman Murman wrote:

I think the band is more or less live. I think the vocals are probably a mix of Bruce's current ones and ones pulled from older recordings - similar to how he approached The Promise and the Ties That Bind.

The website Brucebase has some more info: http://brucebase.wikidot.com/stats:lett ... o-sessions

I don't have a problem with it, I'm just one of those annoying dweebs who is interested in this kind of shit.

PostPosted: Wed January 06, 2021 4:42 pm 
AnalLog

Thurman Murman wrote:

I think the band is more or less live. I think the vocals are probably a mix of Bruce's current ones and ones pulled from older recordings - similar to how he approached The Promise and the Ties That Bind.

The website Brucebase has some more info: http://brucebase.wikidot.com/stats:lett ... o-sessions

I don't have a problem with it, I'm just one of those annoying dweebs who is interested in this kind of shit.

Wow great link...thanks for that! I love Burnin' Train and there was always "something" about it that reminded me of early 90s Springsteen...but had no idea it dates back to 1993.

PostPosted: Fri January 08, 2021 2:30 pm 
Future Drummer

Indeed, thanks much for that link. One album that I never really gravitate toward is The River but I've always cherry picked tracks and outtakes to listen to from that era. It will be cool to read a bit more about the studio sessions with the below giving a different perspective of the album for myself...

The Boss wrote:
The River was a record that was sort of a gateway to a lot of my future writing. It's a record we made after Darkness on the Edge of Town, it was a record made during a recession, hard times in the States. Its title song is a song I wrote for my brother-in-law and sister. My brother-in-law was in the construction industry and lost his job and they had to struggle very hard back in the late 70s, like so many people are doing today. It was a record where I first started to tackle men and women and families and marriage. There were certain songs on it that led to complete records later on, "The River" sort of led to the writing on Nebraska, "Stolen Car" led to the writing on Tunnel of Love. It was a record where, originally it was a single record, I handed it with just one record and I took it back because I didn't feel it was big enough and I wanted to capture the themes that I'd been writing about on Darkness, I wanted to keep those characters with me and at the same time added the music that made our live shows so much fun and enjoyable for our audience. So in the end, we're gonna take you down to The River tonight.

PostPosted: Sat March 20, 2021 2:15 am 
The Master

Unpopular music opinon:

Magic rules

Also, if i could go back in time i would go back to the 2008 tour to see Bruce and the e street band.

2008 or 1984. Those are the tours I'd want to see. I hate that i missed bruce in +/- 2008 but i feel like that would have been right in my wheelhouse.

1984 for obvious reasons but 2008 i feel like i would have gotten them with a full catalogue but with a maturity that really speaks to me.

I dont know.

PostPosted: Sat March 20, 2021 3:05 am 
Posting (live)

The December 2007 show I saw was the best of his that I’ve seen.

Magic or Darkness are my fav two albums of his.

PostPosted: Sat March 20, 2021 3:11 am 
The Master

I love connecting to an artists "later years" catalog. Magic was that for me when it comes to bruce.

Yada yada yada.

Just within the last month ive recalibrated my relationship with "Living in the Future"

"A letter come blowing in on an ill wind
Something 'bout me and you never seeing one another again
Yeah, well I knew it'd come, still I was struck deaf and dumb
Like when we kissed, that taste of blood on your tongue"

getting very personal on RM lately but I can't help it. My girlfriend of almost 5 years broke up with me via text last month so the first two lines there.....completely fucking changed the meaning of the song for me.

And i fucking love it.

God i love music.

PostPosted: Sat March 20, 2021 3:22 pm 
Fake NYC Setlist Relayer

Strat wrote:
I love connecting to an artists "later years" catalog. Magic was that for me when it comes to bruce.

Yada yada yada.

Just within the last month ive recalibrated my relationship with "Living in the Future"

"A letter come blowing in on an ill wind
Something 'bout me and you never seeing one another again
Yeah, well I knew it'd come, still I was struck deaf and dumb
Like when we kissed, that taste of blood on your tongue"

getting very personal on RM lately but I can't help it. My girlfriend of almost 5 years broke up with me via text last month so the first two lines there.....completely fucking changed the meaning of the song for me.

And i fucking love it.

God i love music.

Bruce can get you through some hard times.

From above, Magic is an awesome album, I would see Bruce in ‘75, ‘77, or ‘78 - those shows are nothing short of life changing rock n roll church during Armageddon.

I can’t really say for sure which was my favorite Springsteen show I have seen but probably Nassau in ‘09. Seeing Born in the USA cover to cover was fun at Giants Stadium but uneven for a show. Seeing the River cover to cover at MSG was pretty amazing but also uneven. There was another show after that I caught at MSG I really loved but I don’t know that it had the same magic.

PostPosted: Sun March 21, 2021 1:55 am 
tl;dr

That really sucks, Strat -- sorry to hear it.

Never sorry to hear Magic, though -- one of the twin pillars of the latter-day Springsteen canon, along with Western Stars. (I like the Seeger album a lot too.)

PostPosted: Sun March 21, 2021 2:10 am 
Fake NYC Setlist Relayer

Kevin Davis wrote:
That really sucks, Strat -- sorry to hear it.

Never sorry to hear Magic, though -- one of the twin pillars of the latter-day Springsteen canon, along with Western Stars. (I like the Seeger album a lot too.)

Exactly

PostPosted: Sun March 21, 2021 7:04 pm 
known prankster

Strat wrote:
Unpopular music opinon:

Magic rules

I'd rank it up there with anything from the 70s and 80s. It's a latter career masterpiece along with Western Stars. But it needs a remaster (remix? I dunno).

Only an artist like Bruce could release a career best like Magic and a career worst like Working On A Dream in the space of just over a year.

PostPosted: Mon March 22, 2021 11:59 pm 
AnalLog

Strat wrote:
Unpopular music opinon:

Magic rules

Also, if i could go back in time i would go back to the 2008 tour to see Bruce and the e street band.

Is this an unpopular opinion? I've got Magic up their with his best.

PostPosted: Tue March 23, 2021 12:43 am 
The Master

Thurman Murman wrote:
Strat wrote:
Unpopular music opinon:

Magic rules

I mean, im sure its not popular to crave a 2008 bruce show over 70's early 80's bruce.

But here i am....

PostPosted: Tue March 23, 2021 1:47 am 
AnalLog

Strat wrote:
Thurman Murman wrote:
Strat wrote:
Unpopular music opinon:

Magic rules

I mean, im sure its not popular to crave a 2008 bruce show over 70's early 80's bruce.

But here i am....

Fair! The one and only time i've seen him with the E-Street band was late 2007...phenomenal show!

PostPosted: Tue March 23, 2021 3:36 am 
Future Drummer

Strat wrote:
Unpopular music opinon:

Magic rules

I'd rank it up there with anything from the 70s and 80s. It's a latter career masterpiece along with Western Stars. But it needs a remaster (remix? I dunno).

Only an artist like Bruce could release a career best like Magic and a career worst like Working On A Dream in the space of just over a year.

What does latter career masterpiece mean? Does that mean it doesn’t take away from Bruce’s legacy, then sure it’s a latter career masterpiece. But it’s not a masterpiece in it’s own right.

Magic is a good album but it’s not a masterpiece. I love the songs but like everyone else I find there’s something off and for me, a little grating about it sonically. It is hard on my ears to listen to the album in full.

PostPosted: Tue March 23, 2021 4:44 am 
The Master

Strat wrote:
Unpopular music opinon:

Magic rules

PostPosted: Fri June 11, 2021 2:11 am 
The Master

I should not spend $500-$1,400/ticket for springsteen on broadway right? Or should i? I should spend that money on multiple e street shows instead? right? guys?

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1892 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 80, 81, 82, 83, 84, 85, 86 ... 95  Next

Board index » Word on the Street » Other Bands