The board's server will undergo upgrade maintenance tonight, Nov 5, 2014, beginning approximately around 10 PM ET. Prepare for some possible down time during this process.
FAQ    Search

Board index » Word on the Street » Other Bands

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 594 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 26, 27, 28, 29, 30
 Post subject: Re: The Rolling Fuckin' Stones
PostPosted: Mon March 25, 2024 7:31 pm 
Fake NYC Setlist Relayer

VinylGuy wrote:
Im guessing mine would be something like this, but it will change of course

1.Sticky Fingers
2.Some Girls
3.Voodoo Lounge
4.Let It Bleed
5.Bridges To Babylon
6.Emotional Rescue
7.Black and Blue
8.Aftermath
9.Exile on main street
10.Stripped

Also, this is a fascinating list in its breadth and in its focus on the post Tattoo You world. If Beggars Banquet is an almost clean break from their 60s sound (even though it was still in the 60s), Waiting On a Friend, which closes out Tattoo You, is like a turning of the page from the 70s sounds. Voodoo Lounge and Bridges feels like a different era in my mind but has its own merits to consider.

PostPosted: Mon March 25, 2024 7:33 pm 
Fake NYC Setlist Relayer

liebzz wrote:
VinylGuy wrote:

1.Sticky Fingers
2.Some Girls
3.Voodoo Lounge
4.Let It Bleed
5.Bridges To Babylon
6.Emotional Rescue
7.Black and Blue
8.Aftermath
9.Exile on main street
10.Stripped

Also, this is a fascinating list in its breadth and in its focus on the post Tattoo You world. If Beggars Banquet is an almost clean break from their 60s sound (even though it was still in the 60s), Waiting On a Friend, which closes out Tattoo You, is like a turning of the page from the 70s sounds. Voodoo Lounge and Bridges feels like a different era in my mind but has its own merits to consider.

Oh wait!! And two on your list - Black and Blue, and Emotional Rescue, are possibly the two most underrated Stones albums. Goats Head Soup gets a raw deal in my eyes, but those two are maligned despite having great stuff on them.

PostPosted: Mon March 25, 2024 7:44 pm 
tl;dr

liebzz wrote:
I legit love almost every era of this band.

After a lifetime of being relatively indifferent to the Stones, I am coming around to this.

But, the ‘60’s stuff is my favorite. The big ‘70’s albums (Exile, Some Girls, etc.) would be lower on my list than they would on many others. I like them, a lot, but love the overall feel and flavor of their Decca stuff. I think Between the Buttons is probably my personal favorite.

PostPosted: Mon March 25, 2024 8:32 pm 
jeeeesus relax already

liebzz wrote:
VinylGuy wrote:

1.Sticky Fingers
2.Some Girls
3.Voodoo Lounge
4.Let It Bleed
5.Bridges To Babylon
6.Emotional Rescue
7.Black and Blue
8.Aftermath
9.Exile on main street
10.Stripped

Ive been a fan since i was a kid, Voodoo Lounge being the first one i got after the com Jump Back, with also featured a lot of the highs from the 70s maybe thats why i like that era so much, the overall jamming attitude they had and cool they sounded.

But yeah my love from the 90s is from watching them in the Bridges To Babylon tour ( two times one of them with Bob Dylan as an opener!) wiating for that album to drop, watching the video premier of Anyobody Seen My Baby...all those memories.

PostPosted: Mon March 25, 2024 8:35 pm 
jeeeesus relax already

liebzz wrote:
That’s awesome. Since I was maybe 16 years old, I liked the Stones, and then really in my early thirties I really dug in more into their albums proper and found so much more…and yet, I would make excuses every tour for not seeing them, but it was mostly because l didn’t want to pay an excessive amount of money to go to the show. Now they are 80, and this could be our last chance, and finally I am going. I missed more than I ever should have.

I do enjoy every era for the most part (there are duds but in 60+ years I would expect that), but to me, that 4 run album from ‘68-‘72 is what I would define as the central experience of rock music.

Yey! i wanna see them again too. After 1998 they came here two times i think? but i wasnt really in the mood back then.

PostPosted: Wed April 03, 2024 10:09 pm 
jeeeesus relax already

Spinning Hackney Diamonds on vinyl right now

i just love this one. The energy is so fucking wild. Mick Jagger sounds so good, i hope he has another one left, at least a solo album if the band does not want to go to the studio again.

PostPosted: Thu April 04, 2024 4:41 am 
A Return To Form

Not to beat a dead horse but i just can’t listen to it, i think the songs are ok but it sure doesn’t sound like the stones, thank you mister watt.
Plus no charlie, no stones!

PostPosted: Thu April 04, 2024 4:43 am 
likes rhythmic things that butt up against each other

i don't strictly listen to albums in order of release, but there's so much stones stuff i haven't heard yet, that i don't think ill ever make it to hackney diamonds.

PostPosted: Thu April 04, 2024 10:49 am 
Fake NYC Setlist Relayer

VinylGuy wrote:

i just love this one. The energy is so fucking wild. Mick Jagger sounds so good, i hope he has another one left, at least a solo album if the band does not want to go to the studio again.

Yeah, Havkney Diamonds has amazing energy and is not really what I expected from them but I really enjoy iy.

PostPosted: Thu April 04, 2024 1:44 pm 
jeeeesus relax already

liebzz wrote:
VinylGuy wrote:

Yeah, Havkney Diamonds has amazing energy and is not really what I expected from them but I really enjoy iy.

yeah, and there are very high energy moments in pretty much all the album but also some very cool ones like the final song, rolling stone blues, that sound awesome.

PostPosted: Thu April 04, 2024 2:23 pm 
Fake NYC Setlist Relayer

VinylGuy wrote:
liebzz wrote:
VinylGuy wrote:

yeah, and there are very high energy moments in pretty much all the album but also some very cool ones like the final song, rolling stone blues, that sound awesome.

Yeah that last song was a real “in case this is our last album, let’s come full circle” - Watt convinced Vedder to do really the same thing with On My Way.

PostPosted: Thu April 04, 2024 2:30 pm 
jeeeesus relax already

Its a pretty amazing ending yeah, very badass.

and for Earthling it was super emotional.

PostPosted: Sun April 14, 2024 9:35 pm 
Fake NYC Setlist Relayer

Went back to Hackney Diamonds today for the first time in a few months. I still think this is Tattoo You level good.

PostPosted: Sun April 14, 2024 9:49 pm 
jeeeesus relax already

liebzz wrote:
Went back to Hackney Diamonds today for the first time in a few months. I still think this is Tattoo You level good.

Listened last week on vinyl, and i pretty much danced along the whole album. Its very good yeah, and i can see the TY comparison.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 594 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 26, 27, 28, 29, 30

Board index » Word on the Street » Other Bands