The board's server will undergo upgrade maintenance tonight, Nov 5, 2014, beginning approximately around 10 PM ET. Prepare for some possible down time during this process.
FAQ    Search

Board index » Word on the Street » Other Bands

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 148 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
 Post subject: Re: 70's Rock
PostPosted: Wed January 18, 2017 5:09 pm 
Misplaced My Sponge

LoathedVermin72 wrote:
Haha, oddly prog rock is exactly what I DON'T really want, despite my interest in Yes. I'm mildly familiar with Roxy Music and Rush, but it's been a while. Very familiar with Bowie and Reed already.

What I really want is some more classic soft rock with a dose of weirdness or complexity, like Fleetwood Mac or Steely Dan.

I definitely will check out Genesis, though. That seems like a good call. And I've never heard any Television, so I'll try them too.

I don't know them outside of "Highlights: The very best of" but of those songs, I really like:

Survival
Roundabout
Long Distance Runner
Starship Trooper

The other songs are ok I suppose. Non offensive, pretty good classic rock (I've Seen All Good People, Going For The One, Owner Of A Lonely Heart, etc...) If I ever get a full album, I'll start with their early stuff.

PostPosted: Wed January 18, 2017 5:13 pm 
NYUCK NYUCK NYUCK

Not technically "rock" I guess but Sly & the Family Stone's There's a Riot Going On is helping me through a dull morning

Post subject: Re: 70's Music
PostPosted: Wed January 18, 2017 5:30 pm 
Misplaced My Sponge

I should change the title to 70's music. If it was made in the 70's, it's welcome here.

PostPosted: Wed January 18, 2017 5:31 pm 
Looks Like a Cat

darth_vedder wrote:
I should change the title to 70's music. If it was made in the 70's, it's welcome here.

What should plat do until then?

(That's a fantastic record, btw.)

PostPosted: Wed January 18, 2017 5:33 pm 
Misplaced My Sponge

washing machine wrote:
darth_vedder wrote:

What should plat do until then?

PostPosted: Wed January 18, 2017 5:44 pm 
Looks Like a Cat

While this thread remains about rock, I'll throw on an underrated Alice Cooper gem later covered by Billy Corgan and his very own Smashing Pumpkins. It just missed the 70's by a hair, so feel free to ignore if I'm breaking any rules.

PostPosted: Wed January 18, 2017 6:10 pm 
Rank This Poster

darth_vedder wrote:
LoathedVermin72 wrote:
Haha, oddly prog rock is exactly what I DON'T really want, despite my interest in Yes. I'm mildly familiar with Roxy Music and Rush, but it's been a while. Very familiar with Bowie and Reed already.

What I really want is some more classic soft rock with a dose of weirdness or complexity, like Fleetwood Mac or Steely Dan.

I definitely will check out Genesis, though. That seems like a good call. And I've never heard any Television, so I'll try them too.

I don't know them outside of "Highlights: The very best of" but of those songs, I really like:

Survival
Roundabout
Long Distance Runner
Starship Trooper

The other songs are ok I suppose. Non offensive, pretty good classic rock (I've Seen All Good People, Going For The One, Owner Of A Lonely Heart, etc...) If I ever get a full album, I'll start with their early stuff.

Frágile is one of my favorite albums of the 70's

PostPosted: Wed January 18, 2017 6:49 pm 
AnalLog

Nice to see some love for Lewis on here (though he's technically '80s, but who's counting?). I got into him in 2014 when L'Amour and Romantic Times were being discovered, and I got a kick out of the oddball sincerity of his music. They didn't enter heavy rotation like I thought they might, and I never got around to checking out the other stuff that got unearthed, but I enjoy putting those albums on once in a while.

PostPosted: Wed January 18, 2017 7:00 pm 
NYUCK NYUCK NYUCK

darth_vedder wrote:

Well, there is also the "n roll" part

PostPosted: Fri February 16, 2018 3:07 pm 
Misplaced My Sponge

Been listening to some J. Geils Band lately. I didn't know much about them other than a few songs. I've only listened to two proper albums up to this point, and both are pretty damn good. The albums are 'The Morning After' and 'Bloodshot'. I think I prefer Bloodshot so far, but still need to listen to both more.

PostPosted: Sat February 17, 2018 3:40 am 
Misplaced My Sponge

read...that alice cooper song has been on my playlist for the past 15-20 years. its a solid tune

for my money i dont think things get much better than 70s era aerosmith. uncle salty, walk the line, three mile smile, kings and queens, walkin in the sand, adams apple, sick as a dog. just so many great tunes

PostPosted: Sat February 17, 2018 2:55 pm 
Rank This Poster

I've really been digging elo lately

Somebody give me a list of good deep tracks to dl, I only really have the greatest hits

PostPosted: Sun February 18, 2018 6:28 pm 
Future Drummer

i got bugs wrote:

Somebody give me a list of good deep tracks to dl, I only really have the greatest hits

At least 3 of their albums are masterpieces...

A New World Record
Out Of The Blue
Time

PostPosted: Tue June 19, 2018 5:50 pm 
I've been POOSSTTIiiEEnngeeaahh

Their 70s stuff is timeless and amazingly they can still pull it off. Keyboard player singing the high harmonies helps.

PostPosted: Tue June 19, 2018 6:01 pm 
NEVER STOP JAMMING!

Brett wrote:
Nice to see some love for Lewis on here (though he's technically '80s, but who's counting?). I got into him in 2014 when L'Amour and Romantic Times were being discovered, and I got a kick out of the oddball sincerity of his music. They didn't enter heavy rotation like I thought they might, and I never got around to checking out the other stuff that got unearthed, but I enjoy putting those albums on once in a while.

i picked those up as well :thumbsup: love those albums. especially L'Amour.

PostPosted: Tue June 19, 2018 6:46 pm 
Future Drummer

i got bugs wrote:

My playlist includes;
10538 Overture
Showdown
Strange Magic
So Fine
Livin' Thing
Do Ya
Telephone Line
Turn to Stone
Mr. Blue Sky
Sweet Talkin Woman'
Fire On High
Waterfall
Evil Woman
Nightrider
Can't get It Out of My Head
Eldorado
Ma-Ma-Ma Belle
Roll Over Beethoveen

PostPosted: Thu April 30, 2020 9:34 pm 
10Club Complaint Department

Giving Aerosmith's discog a run. I had Pump, Greatest Hits and some random Indonesian collection in the 80's. For some reason I never delved further into them, probably as I'd have to purchase the albums.

Aerosmith is alright, hints at what's to come yet it's all there really. Let down a bit by muddy productions.

Keepers: Dream On, One Way Street, Mama Kin, Walking The Dog.

Get Your Wings is a massive jump in quality production and confidence. Whoever produced this got the best from all members and their Zeppelin influences shine white hot.

Keepers: Same Old Song and Dance, Lord of the Thighs, SOS, Train.

Last edited by LetMeSleep on Fri May 01, 2020 11:29 pm, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: Fri May 01, 2020 11:28 pm 

Toys In The Attic is another massive step up. This is the band that I picture Aerosmith to be. Stones and Zep riffage with Faces like swagger. I'll give this another spin once I've done the tour. Walk This Way is a great track although I don't want to hear it that often. Round and Round makes me want to eat pizza and smoke cones, and watch That 70s show.

Keeps: Uncle Salty, Adam's Apple, Sweet Emotion, Round and Round.

Rocks is even leaner and more toned. They're firing here, and it seems that it's all coming with ease. But these tracks have been worked on fastidiously. The playing starts to veer into showmanship here though.

Keeps: Back In The Saddle, Last Child, Combination, Sick As A Dog

Draw The Line sounds like they had been noticing Van Halen on the scene. It's tougher and showier and to me, not as pleasant. Still some great songs but there is a 2 dimensional feel here. It's less a slacker swagger and more conscious flexing.

Keepers: Draw The Line, I Wanna Know Why, Critical Mass, Kings and Queens.

PostPosted: Sat May 02, 2020 8:43 pm 

I'm going to continue my Aerosmith slog here.

Night In The Ruts has a fair amount of energy but very few memorable or interesting riffs. When you need a cover to get a single or to fill out Side A you're in trouble.

Keepers: No Surprize, Chiquita, Mia. Remember is done well and I liked this as a teenager but it's so damn overblown.

Rock In A Hard Place is pretty forgettable really. No original guitarist here and no real swagger or attitude. Bland 80's hard rock with bland guitar tones.

Keepers: Lightning Strike, Rock In A Hard Place (Cheshire Cat)

PostPosted: Sat May 02, 2020 8:53 pm 

Done With Mirrors. Original line up is back but with the same result as RIAHP. Such generic soft metal guitar tones, very few riffs and a reliance on sheer energy and musicianship to get some forgettable shite over the line.

Keeper: Let The Music Do The Talking, She's On Fire

Permanent Vacation. Aerosmith Version 2.0 starts their second ascent. Wow, this albums sounds like 1986/87. Everything has been thrown at this album from energy, production, production choices with guitar tones, drums etc. There are hooks galore but it all sounds cheesy and manufactured (which it is and was). Outside songwriters extraordinaires Desmond Child and Holly Knight (80s Bon Jovi, Kiss, Cher, Michael Bolton) brought in and it worked for the band hand in hand with MTV. Pity is all the material has aged badly and/or sucks badly. I find it hard to single out any keepers that I want to hear again. Also, this album is the template for pretty much all Aerosmith going forward. They may do a lot of things better next time but these are the blueprints (Angel especially).

Reluctant keepers: Heart's Done Time, Dude, Angel.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 148 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Board index » Word on the Street » Other Bands