The board's server will undergo upgrade maintenance tonight, Nov 5, 2014, beginning approximately around 10 PM ET. Prepare for some possible down time during this process.
FAQ    Search

Board index » Word on the Street » Other Bands

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 148 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 8  Next
 Post subject: 70's Rock
PostPosted: Fri January 11, 2013 3:10 pm 
Misplaced My Sponge

Post your love ITT for 70's rock.

I know some like LZ have their own thread, but it's cool, you can talk about them here.

I've you've been on a James Gang kick, feel like makin' love[ talking about Bad Company, or listening to 70's rock via Pandora / Spotify, talk about it here.

Me...

I've been into Queen lately. If you don't have it, do yourself a favor and listen to 'Sheer Heart Attack'. Holy shit! These guys were good.

During the summer, I find myself gravitating towards 70's rock too. Anything from Golden Earring, to T. Rex, Thin Lizzy, to Big Star. The latter is not a well known band, but very influential. The song most will recognize is the theme to 'That 70's Show'. The theme is a cover, but Big Star originally did the song. REM cites them as a big influence, so some of y'all who like REM should check them out.

------

Edit: This is the place to post videos and share music that you're into from the decade of the 1970's. Any genre is welcome, and it's also a thread to discuss bands / artist where you don't think a dedicated thread is needed.

Last edited by darth_vedder on Fri February 16, 2018 3:08 pm, edited 5 times in total.

Post subject: Re: 70's Rock
PostPosted: Fri January 11, 2013 3:18 pm 
The Master

I never travel far without a little....

PostPosted: Fri January 11, 2013 3:19 pm 
NEVER STOP JAMMING!

It'd be better to just discuss overlooked albums of the 70's. Some bands....Zep, Floyd, etc....have had their entire 70's catalog examined to death.

Man, Phil was cool. There's something about the distortion on the vocals in this track that really grips me.

Blue Oyster Cult will always have a place in my heart, and especially Secret Treaties. I'd probably love any album that opens with a song sung by an evil villain who gleefully threatens to steal satellites, fuck your wife and daughter (on a dirt road, no less...just to rub it in is what I'm thinking), engage in psychological torture, and then leg it with the ransom money. But somehow, dropping lines like "Yes I know the secrets of the circuitry mind / It's a flaming wonder telepath" and then kicking out an 'I'm totally serious right now' synthesizer solo the way they do in this song seems like all I could ever ask of any band.

Somehow, I have failed to really engage Iggy Pop's career the way I should. A lot of his albums are like little towns I drove through and thought "Look at this fucking place. I should come back here and explore some time." The Idiot is the exception to that.

So....Throbbing Gristle. Did that really happen? Discuss.

Last edited by McParadigm on Fri January 11, 2013 4:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Fri January 11, 2013 3:24 pm 
Misplaced My Sponge

Yeah, if you must talk Floyd or LZ, cool, but they have been talked about a lot...For this thread, hoping to get those other 70's bands that don't get talked about as much. BOC, James Gang, Thin Lizzy, are all welcome here.

Here is a Queen Song from Sheer Heart Attack. Check out the 1:45 to the 2:25 mark.

PostPosted: Fri January 11, 2013 3:30 pm 
Misplaced My Sponge

Strat wrote:

:thumbsup:

PostPosted: Fri January 11, 2013 3:36 pm 
Misplaced My Sponge

darth_vedder wrote:
Strat wrote:

:thumbsup:

First time I have heard this. It's great. Thanks, strat.

PostPosted: Fri January 11, 2013 3:38 pm 
Misplaced My Sponge

Here is the original version of the song used in the 70's show:

PostPosted: Fri January 11, 2013 4:44 pm 
Future Drummer

McParadigm wrote:

Blue Oyster Cult will always have a place in my heart, and especially Secret Treaties. I'd probably love any album that opens with a song sung by an evil villain who gleefully threatens to steal satellites, fuck your wife and daughter (on a dirt road, no less...just to rub it in is what I'm thinking), engage in psychological torture, and then leg it with the ransom money. But somehow, dropping lines like "Yes I know the secrets of the circuitry mind / It's a flaming wonder telepath" and then kicking out an 'I'm totally serious right now' synthesizer solo the way they do in this song seems like all I could ever ask of any band.
I bought the complete Blue Oyster Cult recently and Secret Treaties is their standout album. In fact the first three are all great. So many good songs; 7 Screaming Diz-Busters, ME 262, Harvester of Eyes, Cities on Flames, Dominance & Submission, Career of Evil, Workshop of the Telescopes, Astronomy, Subhuman, Hot Rails to Hell.

They get a little inconsistent as they got further into their career but every album up until Fire of Unknown Origin has at least three really strong songs.

Last edited by surfndestroy on Fri January 11, 2013 5:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Fri January 11, 2013 5:17 pm 
NEVER STOP JAMMING!

I definitely think that the first three records and Fire are all great, and I'd agree that the other 70's records all have their epic moments. I embarrassed myself among a bunch of bikers a few years back by going to see the Cult on the Fourth of July, getting waaaaay too wasted, and constantly requesting She's As Beautiful As a Foot.

PostPosted: Fri January 11, 2013 10:59 pm 
likes rhythmic things that butt up against each other

I had a Financial Management professor with earplugs in at all times and he said it's because he was "front row at one too many Blue Oyster Cult shows". He had a pony tail, sandals with socks, and used to be a radio show host.

And he likes Southern Rock but Molly Hatcher is his favorite band of that genre.

PostPosted: Fri January 11, 2013 11:12 pm 
Future Drummer

Have you guys ever heard the unreleased Blue Oytser Cult album from 1970? It's a bit more psychedelic than hard rock, but it's got some great songs, incredible guitar work & the kind of awesome lyrics that folks would come to expect from BOC. I highly reccommend it.

http://www.discogs.com/Stalk-Forrest-Group-St-Cecilia-The-Elektra-Recordings/release/1911620

PostPosted: Fri January 11, 2013 11:14 pm 
NYUCK NYUCK NYUCK

One of my all-time favorite songs.

PostPosted: Sat January 12, 2013 12:00 am 
likes rhythmic things that butt up against each other

theplatypus wrote:
One of my all-time favorite songs.

That's a good one. I've got the Jam's Greatest Hits or something like that...it's pretty impressive, but haven't delved deeper.

PostPosted: Sat January 12, 2013 12:38 am 
Polluted

McParadigm wrote:

Holy shit. How the fuck did you know about this?

PostPosted: Sat January 12, 2013 12:40 am 
NYUCK NYUCK NYUCK

Self wrote:
McParadigm wrote:

I saw a documentary about Genesis P-Orridge, and how her and her girlfriend Lady Jaye went through several plastic surgeries to make their bodies look like each other's. It was horrifying and beautiful.

PostPosted: Sat January 12, 2013 12:41 am 
Polluted

Could've posted just about any song off Marquee Moon, so I went with the first one.

PostPosted: Sat January 12, 2013 12:43 am 
Polluted

theplatypus wrote:
Self wrote:
McParadigm wrote:

I saw a documentary about Genesis P-Orridge, and how her and her girlfriend Lady Jaye went through several plastic surgeries to make their bodies look like each other's. It was horrifying and beautiful.

Googling now.

PostPosted: Sat January 12, 2013 12:48 am 
NYUCK NYUCK NYUCK

"The Ballad of Genesis and Lady Jaye". I was lucky enough to meet and become friends with the director, Marie Losier, this sweet little french lady. It's such a strange love story.

PostPosted: Sat January 12, 2013 12:52 am 
"Supersonic sucks."

It's been far too long since I've played some Blue Öyster Cult.

Time to rectify.

PostPosted: Sat January 12, 2013 12:55 am 
NYUCK NYUCK NYUCK

The 70s were a great time for youth anthems.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 148 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 8  Next

Board index » Word on the Street » Other Bands