The board's server will undergo upgrade maintenance tonight, Nov 5, 2014, beginning approximately around 10 PM ET. Prepare for some possible down time during this process.
FAQ    Search

Board index » Word on the Street » Other Bands

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1151 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27 ... 58  Next
 Post subject: Re: Alice in Chains
PostPosted: Mon September 25, 2017 9:14 pm 
"Supersonic sucks."

LoathedVermin72 wrote:
Meh. JOF has never done much for me.

Me either, I've always been a bit mystified by its reputation as being some kind of high water mark for the band. Facelift and Dirt are so much better.

PostPosted: Mon September 25, 2017 9:27 pm 
10Club Complaint Department

Birds in Hell wrote:
LoathedVermin72 wrote:
Meh. JOF has never done much for me.

Me either, I've always been a bit mystified by its reputation as being some kind of high water mark for the band. Facelift and Dirt are so much better.

Dirt is the other AIC album I like. I could do without any other AIC. But Jar of Flies is spectacular (except the last song, which is trash). Six perfect songs performed and recorded beautifully. It's as good as any grunge era album. And I say that as someone that would rank AIC far below the other bands in the grunge tournament.

PostPosted: Mon September 25, 2017 9:28 pm 
An enigma of a man shaped hole in the wall between reality and the soul of the devil.

It's not so much that I like AiC. I just really really love Jar of Flies. And maybe a few more of their hits.

I don't listen to any of the other albums, except maybe Sap, which is kind of a proto-JoF.

“And truly, if life had no purpose, and I had to choose nonsense, this would be the most desirable nonsense for me as well."

Last edited by BurtReynolds on Mon September 25, 2017 9:32 pm, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: Mon September 25, 2017 9:30 pm 

BurtReynolds wrote:
It's not so much that I like AiC. I just really really love Jar of Flies. And maybe a few more of their hits.

Exactly

PostPosted: Mon September 25, 2017 9:33 pm 
jeeeesus relax already

JOF and Tripod are my favorites from AIC.

PostPosted: Mon September 25, 2017 9:43 pm 
"Supersonic sucks."

Crazy.

If I were to make an Alice in Chains top 20, I don't think a single song from Sap or Jar of Flies would make it.

PostPosted: Mon September 25, 2017 9:47 pm 
Mind Your Tanners

BurtReynolds wrote:

I don't listen to any of the other albums, except maybe Sap, which is kind of a proto-JoF.

PostPosted: Mon September 25, 2017 9:48 pm 
An enigma of a man shaped hole in the wall between reality and the soul of the devil.

Birds in Hell wrote:
Crazy.

If I were to make an Alice in Chains top 20, I don't think a single song from Sap or Jar of Flies would make it.

perhaps it is you who is crazy.

“And truly, if life had no purpose, and I had to choose nonsense, this would be the most desirable nonsense for me as well."

PostPosted: Mon September 25, 2017 9:49 pm 

:lol: JoF would probably have five or six songs in my top seven AIC.

PostPosted: Mon September 25, 2017 9:56 pm 
Mind Your Tanners

I have a playlist of just those EPs because they're so awesome.

PostPosted: Mon September 25, 2017 10:24 pm 

1. Rotten Apple
2. Don't Follow
3. Nutshell
4. No Excuses
5. I Stay Away
6. Whale & Wasp

PostPosted: Tue September 26, 2017 12:46 am 
Rank This Poster

Dirt is their best but I love Sap.

PostPosted: Tue September 26, 2017 2:56 am 
The worst

I like Alice in Chains a lot (well, the Sap-Dirt-JoF-AiC run), but Jar of Flies is just heads and shoulders above everything else.

It's entirely possible that Rotten Apples, Nutshell, Don't Follow, and No Excuses are 4 of my top 6 (with Would and A Little Bitter)

Running TSIS Review

I Am No Guide - Pearl Jam Song by Song - Coming this July!
He/Him/His

PostPosted: Tue September 26, 2017 3:00 am 
"Supersonic sucks."

There are several songs on Facelift I'd rank above anything on Jar of Flies.

PostPosted: Tue September 26, 2017 3:06 am 

stip wrote:
I like Alice in Chains a lot (well, the Sap-Dirt-JoF-AiC run), but Jar of Flies is just heads and shoulders above everything else.

It's entirely possible that Rotten Apples, Nutshell, Don't Follow, and No Excuses are 4 of my top 6 (with Would and A Little Bitter)

:heartbeat: I Stay Away is great too.

PostPosted: Tue September 26, 2017 4:30 am 
tl;dr

Kevin Davis wrote:
"Facelift" definitely starts off strong and then takes a nosedive. It's pretty indisputably their weakest album, a kind of grotesque grunge-glam Frankenstein's monster that never really finds its sweet spot.

"Dirt" is pretty much AIC 101 -- I won't say I love every track, but this record is their essence, imitated by dozens, and probably contains more immediately satisfying songs than any other record they made.

The self-titled album is a dense, complex work that repays attentive listening -- the harmonies in particular, both between Staley and Cantrell and between the vocal melodies and chords, are among the most innovative and unusual I've ever heard, a high watermark for music theory within the grunge niche.

Both EP's are essential, not a bad song on either one.

All that said, I don't necessarily disagree that a good 20 song or so comp would pretty much serve my AIC needs from here on out. Definitely not a hits-only comp, though.

I'm going to walk back my classification of "Sap" as "essential" and reclassify it as "pretty okay" but I'm sticking by this. I could reduce AIC to a single disc compilation with minimal heartburn over what to cut; I don't think I could fill a second disc without crossing over into excess.

PostPosted: Wed September 27, 2017 8:00 pm 

Kevin Davis wrote:
Kevin Davis wrote:
"Facelift" definitely starts off strong and then takes a nosedive. It's pretty indisputably their weakest album, a kind of grotesque grunge-glam Frankenstein's monster that never really finds its sweet spot.

"Dirt" is pretty much AIC 101 -- I won't say I love every track, but this record is their essence, imitated by dozens, and probably contains more immediately satisfying songs than any other record they made.

The self-titled album is a dense, complex work that repays attentive listening -- the harmonies in particular, both between Staley and Cantrell and between the vocal melodies and chords, are among the most innovative and unusual I've ever heard, a high watermark for music theory within the grunge niche.

All that said, I don't necessarily disagree that a good 20 song or so comp would pretty much serve my AIC needs from here on out. Definitely not a hits-only comp, though.

I'm going to walk back my classification of "Sap" as "essential" and reclassify it as "pretty okay" but I'm sticking by this. I could reduce AIC to a single disc compilation with minimal heartburn over what to cut; I don't think I could fill a second disc without crossing over into excess.

I don't think I could even do that much. I love JoF and maybe five more AIC songs. The rest of their stuff does basically nothing for me or I actively dislike it.

PostPosted: Thu September 28, 2017 12:58 am 

For me it's Dirt plus Brother, Got Me Wrong, Rotten Apple, Nutshell and I Stay Away and Over Now.

An extra three or four from ST and that's a wrap.

We Die Young, Man in a box and Sea Of Sorrow too.

PostPosted: Thu September 28, 2017 1:54 am 
Major Dude

Dirt, JoF, most of Sap, most of ST, MITB, WDY, SOS, ALB, WTHHI

PostPosted: Thu September 28, 2017 10:15 am 
The worst

Kevin Davis wrote:
Kevin Davis wrote:

Probably a disc and a half for me, but I agree. They are an essential songs band, but the essentials are great

Running TSIS Review

I Am No Guide - Pearl Jam Song by Song - Coming this July!
He/Him/His

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1151 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27 ... 58  Next

Board index » Word on the Street » Other Bands