The board's server will undergo upgrade maintenance tonight, Nov 5, 2014, beginning approximately around 10 PM ET. Prepare for some possible down time during this process.
FAQ    Search

Board index » Word on the Street » Other Bands

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1151 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9 ... 58  Next
 Post subject: Re: Alice in Chains
PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2013 2:46 am 
The worst

Birds in Hell wrote:

"Jar of Fliezzzzzzzzzz"

oh spenno...

I Am No Guide - Pearl Jam Song by Song - Coming this July!
He/Him/His

PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2013 3:13 am 
10Club Complaint Department

stip wrote:
Birds in Hell wrote:

"Jar of Fliezzzzzzzzzz"

oh spenno...

;)

What can I say, I love the AIC sludge (factory.)

PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2013 2:11 pm 
AnalLog

Gods' Die wrote:
Fuck You Jobu wrote:
Whitey McTeeth wrote:
VinylGuy wrote:
Listening to SAP right now.

Brother is a beautiful song.

I love Got me Wrong...I especially love the version from their Unplugged.

I wish I could like it more, but the screw up in the final chorus annoys me every time where Jerry and Layne sing a different word - somebody messes up.

I love the separation of their voices in Uplugged's Got Me Wrong...I make that same mistake all the time that they made, so I let it slide. He without sin...and all that stuff.

:P Sin? They made a mistake. It's cool, just brings the show down a notch

PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2013 6:30 pm 
AnalLog

TDPDIH: Why so generic?

PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2013 7:06 pm 
jeeeesus relax already

KurtLeon wrote:

where is it?

PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2013 7:24 pm 
AnalLog

VinylGuy wrote:
KurtLeon wrote:

where is it?

It haven't leaked yet (as far as I know), but listening to the previews on Itunes... Yeah, they are pretty much all the same song.

PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2013 7:25 pm 
jeeeesus relax already

KurtLeon wrote:
VinylGuy wrote:
KurtLeon wrote:

where is it?

It haven't leaked yet (as far as I know), but listening to the previews on Itunes... Yeah, they are pretty much all the same song.

yeah i listen to some of those...dont trust them at all.

PostPosted: Fri May 24, 2013 3:21 am 
Banned from the Pit
 WWW  Profile

I'm sitting here listening to The Devil Put Dinosaurs Here. Yeah, this is still really good grungy metal rock stuff.

PostPosted: Fri May 24, 2013 11:53 am 
Broken Tamborine

i grabbed it last night but i haven't had a chance to listen. I have a 6 hour drive after work today i'm sure i'll form an opinion soon

PostPosted: Fri May 24, 2013 3:50 pm 
Mind Your Tanners

http://seattle.craigslist.org/see/wri/3822599877.html

PostPosted: Tue May 28, 2013 1:59 pm 
AnalLog

I was listening to it yesterday...
Very generic, but not as bad as I thought.
Still, worst AIC album by far.

PostPosted: Tue May 28, 2013 3:02 pm 
jeeeesus relax already

KurtLeon wrote:
I was listening to it yesterday...
Very generic, but not as bad as I thought.
Still, worst AIC album by far.

i have it, listened to some of the songs...not impressed at all, but its not bad either. Still, this might be their weakest album like you say.
Jerry´s vocals sound like in DT and the songs seem to run for too long, a problem he had with that record too.

They need to change their producer for the next album.

PostPosted: Thu May 30, 2013 3:04 am 
jeeeesus relax already

After a few listens, its a grower...they need another producer for sure, but still some of this songs are growing.
Stone and Voices are the most stronger ones, the later being another of those acoustic numbers Cantrell knows how to do.
The title track features some of the most classic aic guitars from their career, its almost like a b side from the Facelift era.
But most of the songs run for just too long, they are repetitive and derivate and its almost like a loop, something Cantrell is doing since Degradation Trip...why make a 6 minute song when you can have a really cool 3 minutes one?

And Jerry please, let William sing more.

PostPosted: Thu May 30, 2013 3:19 am 
Broken Tamborine

I'm liking Voices and the title track a bit. For the title track, I think for the same reasons you are referring to, i.e. the guitars. And speaking of guitars, that guitar part about 2/3 through Low Ceiling is vintage Alice! There are some decent parts throughout the album...

For the most part though, I agree with a lot of it going on for too long and not trying enough 'new' directions, etc...

Can you imagine Layne singing on some of these? I can on the title track! :o

PostPosted: Thu May 30, 2013 12:52 pm 
AnalLog
 WWW  Profile

VinylGuy wrote:
Jerry´s vocals sound like in DT and the songs seem to run for too long, a problem he had with that record too.

VinylGuy wrote:
But most of the songs run for just too long, they are repetitive and derivate and its almost like a loop, something Cantrell is doing since Degradation Trip...why make a 6 minute song when you can have a really cool 3 minutes one?

I disagree with all of this. i guess we like completely different aspects of AIC. i love Jerry's solo records, especially Degradation Trip. and i love the fact that William is almost non-existent on this album. i've only listened to it once so far but it's actually exceeded my (admittedly low) expectations. i'm pleasantly surprised by how much i'm digging this.

PostPosted: Thu May 30, 2013 1:54 pm 
10Club Complaint Department

mf wrote:
i've only listened to it once so far but it's actually exceeded my (admittedly low) expectations. i'm pleasantly surprised by how much i'm digging this.

Well, I guess I'll give this at least one listen.

PostPosted: Thu May 30, 2013 2:42 pm 
Fake NYC Setlist Relayer

I'm really digging the track The Devil Put Dinosaurs Here. Other than that, I've only heard Hollow & Stone. Those two were fairly generic, but not bad. I may pick this one up.

PostPosted: Thu May 30, 2013 2:45 pm 
jeeeesus relax already

mf wrote:
VinylGuy wrote:

VinylGuy wrote:

I disagree with all of this. i guess we like completely different aspects of AIC. i love Jerry's solo records, especially Degradation Trip. and i love the fact that William is almost non-existent on this album. i've only listened to it once so far but it's actually exceeded my (admittedly low) expectations. i'm pleasantly surprised by how much i'm digging this.

i love his solo records too, though i prefer Boggy Depot over Degradation Trip. Most of the songs from that album are screaming for editing because they are really heavy and sludge but also repetitive. This is something that he brought to this new incarnation of AIC since their last record, but its very noticeable in the new one.

As for William, i think he is a talented guy and should have a more important vocal appearance, even if Jerry is an ok singer too.

PostPosted: Thu May 30, 2013 3:36 pm 
tl;dr

I saw Jerry on the Degradation Trip tour. Somehow the local rock station got him to do a meet and greet before the show--he seemed bored out of his mind the entire time, until the girl in front of us got to the table. She had her young daughter with her, so Jerry immediately took one of the station ID balloons from the table, sucked all the helium from it, and started singing "We Represent the Lollipop Guild" to her. Who knows if she got the reference, but she thought it was hysterical.

Then I got to the table and asked if he would be willing to let me interview him for my college newspaper (I was a journalism student at the time), and he said, "Not a chance in hell." That's fine, I probably would have told me no too.

The show was the night before Halloween, so when we got to the theater, there was this guy walking around the lobby dressed as some kind of zombie, face painted and the whole works, wandering aimlessly around and harmlessly messing with everybody. He was pushing around in the audience during the opening band's set too. Eventually it comes time for Jerry's set, and the zombie guy gets up onstage and starts singing. I was 18 so that really blew my mind.

Unfortunately it wasn't much of a show. He had some Layne impersonator with him for the AIC material (not sure if it's the same guy they have now), and he really wasn't good. Fun night, though.

PostPosted: Thu May 30, 2013 3:58 pm 
jeeeesus relax already

Kevin Davis wrote:
I saw Jerry on the Degradation Trip tour. Somehow the local rock station got him to do a meet and greet before the show--he seemed bored out of his mind the entire time, until the girl in front of us got to the table. She had her young daughter with her, so Jerry immediately took one of the station ID balloons from the table, sucked all the helium from it, and started singing "We Represent the Lollipop Guild" to her. Who knows if she got the reference, but she thought it was hysterical.

Then I got to the table and asked if he would be willing to let me interview him for my college newspaper (I was a journalism student at the time), and he said, "Not a chance in hell." That's fine, I probably would have told me no too.

The show was the night before Halloween, so when we got to the theater, there was this guy walking around the lobby dressed as some kind of zombie, face painted and the whole works, wandering aimlessly around and harmlessly messing with everybody. He was pushing around in the audience during the opening band's set too. Eventually it comes time for Jerry's set, and the zombie guy gets up onstage and starts singing. I was 18 so that really blew my mind.

Unfortunately it wasn't much of a show. He had some Layne impersonator with him for the AIC material (not sure if it's the same guy they have now), and he really wasn't good. Fun night, though.

Will toured with him on that tour so he might be that guy, yeah. The band he had on DT was incredible, Trujillo and Bordin?
Amazing.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1151 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9 ... 58  Next

Board index » Word on the Street » Other Bands