Switch to full style
Other than Pearl Jam, who else is there?
Post a reply

Re: Jack White / White Stripes / Dead Weather / Raconteurs /

Mon April 16, 2018 4:19 pm

Gotcha. I don't know Junior Kimbrough or T-Model Ford. I'll have to look into their stuff.

Mon April 16, 2018 4:19 pm

Strat wrote:okay dad welcome to the 21st century

[strat's mom] (joke) [/strat's mom]

Mon April 16, 2018 4:21 pm

Junior Kimbrough is fantastic but i dont think they are comparable? jack White has a huge pop element to his songs.

Mon April 16, 2018 4:22 pm

tragabigzanda wrote:Again, I'll reiterate: Jack White is a talented and passionate musician. I just never found his music to be particularly noteworthy when many others have mined those sounds before.

Totally. I get that. I think the opposite is true for me, that's all. I like a lot of those bands you listed quite a bit. But none of them have moved me as much as Jack White. Even if what he's doing is inspired by sounds/ideas that came before. That isn't really meaningful to me. Jack does what he does to great affect regardless of all of that. And I know you're not arguing otherwise. I guess I'm just saying that Jack's work is more meaningful to me personally. You know, opinions and tastes and all that jazz.

Mon April 16, 2018 4:24 pm

Strat wrote:Junior Kimbrough is fantastic but i dont think they are comparable? jack White has a huge pop element to his songs.

I see Jack as almost like a cocktail of all those other influences I listed. I get why someone might prefer his music to the others; I have the exact same relationship with Wilco, whom I adore, but I can also draw a line from their sound to many other bands. But that doesn't mean I want to listen to Fairport Convention or even Son Volt; I'd prefer to listen to Wilco.

Mon April 16, 2018 4:25 pm

tragabigzanda wrote:
Strat wrote:Junior Kimbrough is fantastic but i dont think they are comparable? jack White has a huge pop element to his songs.

I see Jack as almost like a cocktail of all those other influences I listed. I get why someone might prefer his music to the others; I have the exact same relationship with Wilco, whom I adore, but I can also draw a line from their sound to many other bands. But that doesn't mean I want to listen to Fairport Convention or even Son Volt; I'd prefer to listen to Wilco.

You should really check out Son Volts recent album. Fantastic.

Mon April 16, 2018 4:28 pm

So much of it has to do with voice and phrasing, too. There's just something about the White approaches his work that moves me. His voice (not just singing voice but artistic voice) scratches the right itch, for me.

Mon April 16, 2018 4:32 pm

durdencommatyler wrote:So much of it has to do with voice and phrasing, too. There's just something about the White approaches his work that moves me. His voice (not just singing voice but artistic voice) scratches the right itch, for me.

I hope you get a chance to see Jack White live again. You should absolutely throw the coin out there to make it happen.

Mon April 16, 2018 4:35 pm

Strat wrote:
durdencommatyler wrote:So much of it has to do with voice and phrasing, too. There's just something about the White approaches his work that moves me. His voice (not just singing voice but artistic voice) scratches the right itch, for me.

I hope you get a chance to see Jack White live again. You should absolutely throw the coin out there to make it happen.

Honestly, I think it had way more to do with the venue. I've had other bad experiences with concerts at Radio City. It's just a terrible place for a rock show. I'll try to see him again if he plays a more suitable space.

Mon April 16, 2018 4:42 pm

Also I think Icky Thump is so fantastic.

Mon April 16, 2018 4:44 pm

Strat wrote:Also I think Icky Thump is so fantastic.

Icky Thump is great! I just don't think it holds up to that amazing three album run that came before. Let's be clear, The White Stripes never released a bad album.

Mon April 16, 2018 6:50 pm

Jack is coming through town and (once again) playing the shittiest venue in the entire city. I won't go just bc of the venue, unfortunately. Not for those ticket prices.

Mon April 16, 2018 6:50 pm

He is so erotic

Mon April 16, 2018 7:02 pm

theplatypus wrote:He is so erotic

Go on...

Mon April 16, 2018 10:54 pm

I'm listening to Boarding House Reach again. Yeah, this is baller af.

Mon April 16, 2018 11:43 pm

Watching a live show from this year...i think its brooklyn.

WOW. the new songs are stellar live.

Mon April 16, 2018 11:52 pm

VinylGuy wrote:Watching a live show from this year...i think its brooklyn.

WOW. the new songs are stellar live.

Yeah buddy!

Tue April 17, 2018 4:40 am

Well if I have to pick.. over and over, track 2, and the last 2 tracks are ok

Tue April 17, 2018 2:26 pm

i got bugs wrote:Well if I have to pick.. over and over, track 2, and the last 2 tracks are ok

:lol:

Tue April 17, 2018 7:13 pm

i got bugs wrote:Well if I have to pick.. over and over, track 2, and the last 2 tracks are ok

You don't have to pick. Just discard the album as bad and never return to it.
Post a reply