The board's server will undergo upgrade maintenance tonight, Nov 5, 2014, beginning approximately around 10 PM ET. Prepare for some possible down time during this process.
FAQ    Search

Board index » Word on the Street » Other Bands

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 599 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20 ... 30  Next
 Post subject: Re: Jack White / White Stripes / Dead Weather / Raconteurs /
PostPosted: Thu March 29, 2018 6:13 pm 
jeeeesus relax already

durdencommatyler wrote:
The first three tracks are great. I'm looking forward to the rest of the record.

:heartbeat:

PostPosted: Thu March 29, 2018 8:29 pm 
The Master

I mean, its totally mad, insane, and self indulgent but im not sure how you can fault a guy for putting out something so....wild? Gotta at least respect it even if you dont particularly enjoy it. Like Trans!

PostPosted: Thu March 29, 2018 9:17 pm 
NEVER STOP JAMMING!

Isn't music in general pretty self-indulgent? I dunno, I was thinking about that earlier for some reason

PostPosted: Thu March 29, 2018 9:19 pm 
Legacy of Love
 WWW  Profile

I have oh so many thoughts about this album. I want to do a full write up. But the gist is that is a fucking outstanding album. I can't wrap my head around people saying these are bad songs. I hear so many influences. This is not only the best Jack White solo album (by a country mile) it's probably the best work Jack has done on any record/project since Get Behind Me Satan. I'm in love with this album. I hear Sly Stone. I hear Michael Jackson. I hear Marvin Gaye. I hear The Beastie Boys. This is a musical visionary expanding and playing and finding something new, which is so valuable and unexpected after the firs two solo records, which, as good as they are in their best moments, are exactly expected and by the numbers. I was worried Jack had become bored and formulaic. But this album proves he's still willing to stretch himself and redefine his sound, even as he settles into "icon" status.

What a breath of fresh air this album is. Completely blown away. Even when it fails, it's still interesting. This could well end up being the thing that defines his post- The White Stripes career. Really, it could end up being the album he's remembered for. It reminds me of Bowie in his weird, experimental, "I don't give a fuck" best.

PostPosted: Thu March 29, 2018 9:21 pm 
NEVER STOP JAMMING!

I have to find this and listen to it.

PostPosted: Thu March 29, 2018 9:22 pm 
Legacy of Love
 WWW  Profile

verb_to_trust wrote:
This is an embarrassing release. If it didn't have Jack Whites name on it you guys wouldn't be contorting yourselves into these compliments.

I think the opposite is true, actually. I think if this was a brand new artist, people would be blowing themselves over this. Because Jack White's name is on it, people are angry and dismissive.

PostPosted: Thu March 29, 2018 9:25 pm 
The Master

durdencommatyler wrote:
I have oh so many thoughts about this album. I want to do a full write up. But the gist is that is a fucking outstanding album. I can't wrap my head around people saying these are bad songs. I hear so many influences. This is not only the best Jack White solo album (by a country mile) it's probably the best work Jack has done on any record/project since Get Behind Me Satan. I'm in love with this album. I hear Sly Stone. I hear Michael Jackson. I hear Marvin Gaye. I hear The Beastie Boys. This is a musical visionary expanding and playing and finding something new, which is so valuable and unexpected after the firs two solo records, which, as good as they are in their best moments, are exactly expected and by the numbers. I was worried Jack had become bored and formulaic. But this album proves he's still willing to stretch himself and redefine his sound, even as he settles into "icon" status.

What a breath of fresh air this album is. Completely blown away. Even when it fails, it's still interesting. This could well end up being the thing that defines his post- The White Stripes career. Really, it could end up being the album he's remembered for. It reminds me of Bowie in his weird, experimental, "I don't give a fuck" best.

Im starting to head this way with it as well. Its exciting that he put something out like this. Some shock needs to wear off for me still. And the desire for him to just "grip it and rip it" with simplicity.

PostPosted: Thu March 29, 2018 9:29 pm 
Legacy of Love
 WWW  Profile

Strat wrote:
durdencommatyler wrote:

Im starting to head this way with it as well. Its exciting that he put something out like this. Some shock needs to wear off for me still. And the desire for him to just "grip it and rip it" with simplicity.

The guitar sounds on this are exquisite. He's got that toy-guitar, pawn shop, whine thing going on but there's more depth, too. It's far more complex and interesting than some of his more recent work. I also love all the organ/piano/synth stuff. There's real maturity on this record. It's fucking wonderful. And there's so much to unpack. Each listen brings new insights/thoughts/images. I'm genuinely shocked that people think this is "terrible music." I can't wrap my head around that.

PostPosted: Thu March 29, 2018 9:30 pm 
jeeeesus relax already

durdencommatyler wrote:
verb_to_trust wrote:
This is an embarrassing release. If it didn't have Jack Whites name on it you guys wouldn't be contorting yourselves into these compliments.

I think the opposite is true, actually. I think if this was a brand new artist, people would be blowing themselves over this. Because Jack White's name is on it, people are angry and dismissive.

I agree with this. If this one was released by some new kid everyone would say MAN THIS IS THE NEW THANG!! HE RAP AND ROCKS WOWWWW

but is jack white in his nearly 40s so ¨omg he lost it¨

PostPosted: Thu March 29, 2018 9:30 pm 
The Master

durdencommatyler wrote:
Strat wrote:
durdencommatyler wrote:

The guitar sounds on this are exquisite. He's got that toy-guitar, pawn shop, whine thing going on but there's more depth, too. It's far more complex and interesting than some of his more recent work. I also love all the organ/piano/synth stuff. There's real maturity on this record. It's fucking wonderful. And there's so much to unpack. Each listen brings new insights/thoughts/images. I'm genuinely shocked that people think this is "terrible music." I can't wrap my head around that.

Some people have a weird distaste for Jack White and I also believe that colors some of this hatred.

PostPosted: Thu March 29, 2018 9:31 pm 
The Master

and its fun to shit on people. Thats what the internet is for.

PostPosted: Thu March 29, 2018 9:34 pm 
NYUCK NYUCK NYUCK

Strat wrote:

I won't lie, I think Jack White is a doofus, so it is extra satisfying that he released a hilariously inept garbage record like this one. Actually liking stuff by people you dislike is less fun.

PostPosted: Thu March 29, 2018 9:37 pm 
Rank This Poster

The last few pages have been interesting to read.

PostPosted: Thu March 29, 2018 9:38 pm 
Legacy of Love
 WWW  Profile

Strat wrote:

:lol:

PostPosted: Thu March 29, 2018 9:49 pm 
NEVER STOP JAMMING!

for better or worse – however you want to view this album – it's much more interesting than his previous solo albums. whether it works or not depends on the listener, and divisiveness is part of the territory when taking a risk.

PostPosted: Thu March 29, 2018 9:51 pm 
Legacy of Love
 WWW  Profile

bodysnatcher wrote:
for better or worse – however you want to view this album – it's much more interesting than his previous solo albums

I 100% agree. And that's coming from someone who loved the first one and was disinterested in the second one.

PostPosted: Thu March 29, 2018 9:53 pm 
NEVER STOP JAMMING!

it's also obviously produced by Jack. he made the album he wanted to make, and no one was there to tell him to rein it in.

it's pretty much the exact opposite of Lightning Bolt :haha:

PostPosted: Thu March 29, 2018 10:26 pm 
Gone

Horrible

PostPosted: Thu March 29, 2018 11:16 pm 
An enigma of a man shaped hole in the wall between reality and the soul of the devil.

Well if dtc and strat like it, I hate it now.

“And truly, if life had no purpose, and I had to choose nonsense, this would be the most desirable nonsense for me as well."

PostPosted: Thu March 29, 2018 11:26 pm 
Legacy of Love
 WWW  Profile

BurtReynolds wrote:
Well if dtc and strat like it, I hate it now.

AL

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 599 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20 ... 30  Next

Board index » Word on the Street » Other Bands