The board's server will undergo upgrade maintenance tonight, Nov 5, 2014, beginning approximately around 10 PM ET. Prepare for some possible down time during this process.
FAQ    Search

Board index » Word on the Street » Other Bands

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 602 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 31  Next
 Post subject: Re: Jack White / White Stripes / Dead Weather / Raconteurs /
PostPosted: Thu January 10, 2013 10:46 pm 
Legacy of Love
 WWW  Profile

Birds in Hell wrote:
durdencommatyler wrote:
Birds in Hell wrote:
I found Soundgarden borderline painful last year, even with plugs.

How were they otherwise?

Awesome!

Sounded great, musically. Just way too loud.

I need to see them someday.

PostPosted: Thu January 10, 2013 10:59 pm 
Jeff's Infallible Pendulum

Birds in Hell wrote:
durdencommatyler wrote:
Birds in Hell wrote:

How were they otherwise?

Awesome!

I have a friend who worked on the SG tour out in Oz in 1996 and he recounted a story along the lines that each of the band members refused to turn down onstage because one of the other guys wouldn't keep their volume turned down. Apparently Ben Shepherd's bass rig was modified so that it couldn't be turned down at all. It just had an on switch and EQ settings. Often the bass sound from onstage was so loud they rarely needed to run it through the PA of the venues they played on their festival sideshows.

PostPosted: Thu January 10, 2013 11:00 pm 
10Club Complaint Department

Fuzzcharger wrote:
Birds in Hell wrote:
durdencommatyler wrote:
Birds in Hell wrote:

How were they otherwise?

Awesome!

I have a friend who worked on the SG tour out in Oz in 1996 and he recounted a story along the lines that each of the band members refused to turn down onstage because one of the other guys wouldn't keep their volume turned down. Apparently Ben Shepherd's bass rig was modified so that it couldn't be turned down at all. It just had an on switch and EQ settings. Often the bass sound from onstage was so loud they rarely needed to run it through the PA of the venues they played on their festival sideshows.

Ha! Great story.

PostPosted: Thu January 10, 2013 11:35 pm 
NEVER STOP JAMMING!

Mogwai in a tiny venue, about 15 feet from the stage, was by far the loudest thing I've ever been to. The bass in the speakers felt like it was giving me CPR

PostPosted: Thu January 10, 2013 11:44 pm 
An enigma of a man shaped hole in the wall between reality and the soul of the devil.

I saw MC Hammer when i was about 12. The bass was so loud my eyeballs rattled.

“And truly, if life had no purpose, and I had to choose nonsense, this would be the most desirable nonsense for me as well."

PostPosted: Fri January 11, 2013 12:21 am 
Legacy of Love
 WWW  Profile

I'm trying to remember my first "concert." It was after a Pacers game, and he was terrible. He was not loud. And I keep wanting to say Doug Henning. But I know that's not right.

PostPosted: Fri January 11, 2013 12:40 am 
Jeff's Infallible Pendulum

Dr. Van Nostrand wrote:
durdencommatyler wrote:
Jack White is the second loudest concert I've ever been to. The dude gets LOUD.

What was the first? I think jack is the loudest for me, but he is for sure the loudest in the last year or 2

When I saw the White Stripes on the Get Behind Me Satan tour it was easily one of the loudest gigs I'd attended. Several people I know who are used to seeing live music frequently said they had ringing ears for 2-3 days after.

PostPosted: Fri January 11, 2013 1:04 am 
Mind Your Tanners

Fuzzcharger wrote:
Dr. Van Nostrand wrote:
durdencommatyler wrote:
Jack White is the second loudest concert I've ever been to. The dude gets LOUD.

What was the first? I think jack is the loudest for me, but he is for sure the loudest in the last year or 2

When I saw the White Stripes on the Get Behind Me Satan tour it was easily one of the loudest gigs I'd attended. Several people I know who are used to seeing live music frequently said they had ringing ears for 2-3 days after.

2 or 3 days sounds about right for when i saw him a few months ago, crazy

PostPosted: Fri January 11, 2013 2:19 am 
$5 Donation Gets Custom Title

The one time I saw Mogwai they were playing in a tent. The volume was crushing.

I couldn't stand near the speaker stacks when I saw Dinosaur Jr a couple of years ago. It made me feel physically unwell.

Soundgarden played a club show here in 97 that was overwhelming. The only show at which I've been in the front row and felt my clothes move due to the sound.

PostPosted: Fri January 11, 2013 5:35 am 
AnalLog

Dr. Van Nostrand wrote:
Wont say i was disappointed when i saw him live a few months ago because i wasnt, he puts on an excelent show (unless u see him the first night at radio city music hall) but i dont know if ill try to see him live again, his sound is so harsh on the ears, ive never had the ringing and soreness in my ears from a show before, and i cant see wearing earplugs to a show.

The White Stripes were still easily the loudest show ive ever been too... 3 hours later i still had that muted/under water/ feeling going on.

I havnt seen a Jack band since the Raconteurs in 2005 :/

PostPosted: Wed July 17, 2013 12:58 am 
The Master

So I picked up Icky thump on vinyl...

Rag and Bone is way different than I remember/have had in the past. SOme of the verses are extended and there is no Meg singing/speaking...

Did he make some changes and re-release or what is going on? I thought I also noticed something in the title track as well...

PostPosted: Wed July 17, 2013 3:14 pm 
Broken Tamborine

Does anyone else here use earplugs at shows? I always do if I'm anywhere near the stage.

PostPosted: Wed July 17, 2013 5:24 pm 
Future Drummer

I think the loudest show I ever went to was AC/DC back in 08/09 at MSG. My friend had a extra tickets and we were all the back in the 300 area. It was so loud I thought blood was going to come out off my ears. My ears were ringing for 4 days afterwards.

PostPosted: Wed July 17, 2013 10:14 pm 
Mind Your Tanners

vegman wrote:
Does anyone else here use earplugs at shows? I always do if I'm anywhere near the stage.

I've never tried it because at most shows i kinda wish it was louder, but not for jack white, i definitely coulda used ear plugs.

Do you still hear everything clearly just quieter?

PostPosted: Fri July 19, 2013 6:05 pm 
Broken Tamborine

Strat wrote:

Rag and Bone is way different than I remember/have had in the past. SOme of the verses are extended and there is no Meg singing/speaking...

Did he make some changes and re-release or what is going on? I thought I also noticed something in the title track as well...

I never noticed any big differences with the standard press, maybe a few subtle things, but the mono version he put out through the Vault seems quite a bit different.

I'm 99% sure that Meg still has her lines in Rag and Bone in both version.

PostPosted: Fri July 19, 2013 6:53 pm 
The Master

Oh, Jimmy wrote:
Strat wrote:

I never noticed any big differences with the standard press, maybe a few subtle things, but the mono version he put out through the Vault seems quite a bit different.

I'm 99% sure that Meg still has her lines in Rag and Bone in both version.

Ill have to listen again but I swear she isnt in it. I dont even recall "aw meg don't be rude!"

PostPosted: Fri August 02, 2013 9:08 pm 

http://themusic.com.au/news/all/2013/08 ... ing-order/

Quote:
Jack White’s Ex-Wife Issues A Restraining Order

One of the world’s most adored rock musicians of the present day, Jack White, has been slapped with a restraining order from his ex-wife Karen Elson according to Nashville’s The City Paper.

Elson and White split back in 2011 and threw a party to celebrate the seemingly mutual break-up. Things have turned nasty in recent months, mainly with regard to parenting rights; White wants to help bring up him and Elson’s two children while Elson doesn’t believe he is fit to be a parent.

White is accused of sending harassing emails and text message and is said to have a “violent temper”.

Perhaps most interesting are the circumstances in which White, who has allegedly refused to attend family counselling, has chastised Elson for casually associating with unnamed musicians he believes have 'ripped him off' musically.

It is reported that White wanted Elson to pull the children out of a class in which the child of another entertainer who ripped him off was present. Another alleged circumstance had White berating Elson for attending the wedding of a musician who had also ripped him off.

The order reads: “Wife fears for her and the children’s safety as a result of this harassment.

“This pattern of husband’s bullying wife into submission was a contributing factor in the demise of their marriage."

The order means that White can now only contact Elson via email and can only do so if “it relates to parenting time with the parties’ minor children.”

He was served the order, signed by Circuit Court Judge Philip Robinson, on Monday 22 July. White and Elson have a hearing scheduled for Thursday 29 August to try and settle the dispute over custody of their two children.

http://www.avclub.com/articles/jack-whi ... :1:Default

Quote:
Elson’s claims also include a couple of music-related blind items relating to White’s alleged temper. For instance, Elson claims that White wanted to remove their kids from a private school class because another entertainer’s kid was in the class, with Elson saying that White feels that said entertainer “ripped off” his music. White also allegedly berated Elson for attending the wedding of another entertainer who White also feels “ripped off” his music. The musicians are unnamed in the filing, but we have our guesses. (Update: Yep, it's Dan Auerbach and The Black Keys.)

I must admit, I do get some level of enjoyment from every instance that confirms that Jack White to be a thoroughly unpleasant human being. It feels as though it helps justify my general annoyance with him.

PostPosted: Fri August 02, 2013 9:10 pm 
NYUCK NYUCK NYUCK

I only listen to music made by nice people

PostPosted: Fri August 02, 2013 9:15 pm 
NYUCK NYUCK NYUCK

durdencommatyler wrote:
Dr. Van Nostrand wrote:
durdencommatyler wrote:
Dr. Van Nostrand wrote:
Wont say i was disappointed when i saw him live a few months ago because i wasnt, he puts on an excelent show (unless u see him the first night at radio city music hall) but i dont know if ill try to see him live again, his sound is so harsh on the ears, ive never had the ringing and soreness in my ears from a show before, and i cant see wearing earplugs to a show.

:wave:

I'll see him again. So help me, I'll see him again.

You were at that first night? Did u go to night 2 that one seemed to be a pretty good show, even though the review sounded like he was still in a bad mood

No, I couldn't go to night 2. That was my anniversary. But I knew people who were there. They said he flew through the setlist w/ zero banter. But, people got a "full set."

COGNITIVE REFRAMING

PostPosted: Fri August 02, 2013 9:15 pm 

theplatypus wrote:
I only listen to music made by nice people

Oh, it's not a general rule, I didn't like his whole shtick long before I realised he was also an insufferable jerk. It's just a happy coincidence, I guess.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 602 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 31  Next

Board index » Word on the Street » Other Bands