Switch to full style
Other than Pearl Jam, who else is there?
Post a reply

Low | The Invisible Way

Thu January 10, 2013 9:44 am

Did we pick up any new Low fans when the board was renovated? The new Low disc is out there and it's pretty damn good.

Re: Low | The Invisible Way

Fri January 11, 2013 2:01 am

Guess not. :(

Fri January 11, 2013 2:50 am

Man, I love every single second from Curtain Hits the Cast to Trust. That last one especially just ruins me. I even saw them play in a hometown club about ten years ago, and again in the Sokol Underground here in town (great venue...saw Ryan Adams, Mountain Goats, Explosions in the Sky, Andrew Bird, Henry Rollins....so many great things there). But Great Destroyer undercut a lot of what made them interesting to me (although the songwriting was still stellar, and the performances were still great), and I got kind of chicken shit about them. I've never even listened to their work since then. I think I'm trying to preserve my opinion of them in the wake of subpar work by Spoon, Andrew Bird, The Decemberists, Belle and Sebastian, and other acts I once saw as ingenius. I retreated from the Mountain Goats in a similar fashion after Heretic Pride, and only recently discovered how good their last few works were.

I'm a sonic coward.

Fri January 11, 2013 9:52 pm

Keep a juggernaut heart, McP.

Fri January 11, 2013 10:19 pm

McParadigm wrote:I think I'm trying to preserve my opinion of them in the wake of subpar work by Spoon.

It was Transference, right? Cuz everything up to then was Grade A. And I don't think Transference is bad enough to ruin the band for me.

Sun November 06, 2022 4:50 pm

RIP Mimi Parker :-(

Mon November 07, 2022 12:39 am

tragabigzanda wrote:RIP Mimi Parker :-(

Sad indeed.

Mon November 07, 2022 1:16 am

imo, the coolest thing low ever did in a long line of cool things low did was using their 30 minute festival slot to play one song, with alan concluding at the end, 'drone. not drones.'

rip, mimi. minnesota has lost another influential music legend.

Mon November 07, 2022 2:08 am

oh fuck

Wed February 01, 2023 12:03 am

Benjamin Gibbard:

I first saw Low in 1994 opening for Sunny Day Real Estate at the OK Hotel in Seattle. Since then they’ve been one of the most influential and important bands of my life. It was the fulfillment of my teenage self’s indie rock dream when our bands became friends while on tour together in 2012.

We were incredibly saddened by Mimi’s passing this past November. She was an incredible artist and an even better human being.

We believe the best way to remember the musicians we lose is to play their songs. “The Plan” has always been one of our favorite Low songs and is presented here in tribute to Mimi.

Wed February 01, 2023 12:26 am

psychobain wrote:

Benjamin Gibbard:

I first saw Low in 1994 opening for Sunny Day Real Estate at the OK Hotel in Seattle. Since then they’ve been one of the most influential and important bands of my life. It was the fulfillment of my teenage self’s indie rock dream when our bands became friends while on tour together in 2012.

We were incredibly saddened by Mimi’s passing this past November. She was an incredible artist and an even better human being.

We believe the best way to remember the musicians we lose is to play their songs. “The Plan” has always been one of our favorite Low songs and is presented here in tribute to Mimi.

Well that is just lovely :cry:

Fri January 19, 2024 4:01 pm

i need to know this band better

lets go with Things We Lost In The Fire (2001)

Fri January 19, 2024 4:08 pm

psychobain wrote:i need to know this band better

lets go with Things We Lost In The Fire (2001)

You should definitely listen to that album, and any other that catch your fancy. But know that they took a hard pivot in the last three records, towards heavy electronic soundscapes. Double Negative is my favorite from this end career run (and my hands-down favorite Low album).

Fri January 19, 2024 4:57 pm

Kinda bummed there wasn’t a slowcore band named Behold and there wasn’t a collaborative split EP called Low and Behold
Post a reply