The board's server will undergo upgrade maintenance tonight, Nov 5, 2014, beginning approximately around 10 PM ET. Prepare for some possible down time during this process.
FAQ    Search

Board index » Word on the Street » Other Bands




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 695 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24 ... 35  Next
Author Message
 Post subject: Re: The National
PostPosted: Wed September 06, 2017 4:54 pm 
Offline
User avatar
Looks Like a Cat
 Profile

Joined: Tue January 01, 2013 7:41 am
Posts: 14065
Location: Cumberland, RI
Chris_H_2 wrote:
listening to this on npr. i realized on the system only dreams that there is such a fine line between matt hitting a higher note where he has to be loud and his paralyzing screaming that as a tendency to ruin songs for me. often he falls on the other side of that line. i hate screaming matt.


I totally agree. They did another live streaming show back when the album was announced and I thought System sounded horrible, but loved Guilty Party and the other quiet songs. I like the album version, though.

_________________
McParadigm wrote:
lol


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: The National
PostPosted: Wed September 06, 2017 5:26 pm 
Offline
User avatar
Looks Like a Cat
 Profile

Joined: Wed January 02, 2013 2:02 am
Posts: 13675
Location: Dat Azz
I also agree about Matt's voice. It definitely has weaknesses. Studio The National is where it's at. I'd still love to see them live, but I'm probably not going to spend much time listening to live performances. Although some of those can be great too.

_________________
LoathedVermin72 wrote:
Post better and stop being a dork.


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: The National
PostPosted: Wed September 06, 2017 5:30 pm 
Offline
User avatar
Posting (live)
 Profile

Joined: Wed January 02, 2013 11:15 pm
Posts: 17800
Location: Seattle, WA
i had no idea that he had pretty crippling stage fright


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: The National
PostPosted: Wed September 06, 2017 5:36 pm 
Offline
Future Drummer
 Profile

Joined: Thu January 03, 2013 1:10 am
Posts: 2405
I can't speak to the individual show (I'm avoiding this stuff till the studio album release), but I can't really imagine The National without that part of Matt's voice, particularly live. It's a big part of what offers the live aspect of the band such a different, more deranged feel than their records.


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: The National
PostPosted: Wed September 06, 2017 5:53 pm 
Offline
User avatar
Looks Like a Cat
 Profile

Joined: Wed January 02, 2013 2:02 am
Posts: 13675
Location: Dat Azz
I get that digster, and I'm glad you enjoy the differences with the live show, but the reason it's different and "deranged" is simply because Matt is incapable of singing those parts "properly" in concert.

_________________
LoathedVermin72 wrote:
Post better and stop being a dork.


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: The National
PostPosted: Wed September 06, 2017 5:53 pm 
Offline
User avatar
Looks Like a Cat
 Profile

Joined: Wed January 02, 2013 2:02 am
Posts: 13675
Location: Dat Azz
bodysnatcher wrote:
i had no idea that he had pretty crippling stage fright

I didn't know that either.

_________________
LoathedVermin72 wrote:
Post better and stop being a dork.


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: The National
PostPosted: Wed September 06, 2017 6:02 pm 
Offline
User avatar
Looks Like a Cat
 Profile

Joined: Tue January 01, 2013 7:41 am
Posts: 14065
Location: Cumberland, RI
digster wrote:
I can't speak to the individual show (I'm avoiding this stuff till the studio album release), but I can't really imagine The National without that part of Matt's voice, particularly live. It's a big part of what offers the live aspect of the band such a different, more deranged feel than their records.


Agree in some sense. When you're at the show, it comes across as raw energy, it's frenetic, it's cathartic. On a recording it makes me turn the volume down for a second. I haven't seen them since the second (third?) High Violet tour but it's been awesome every time.

_________________
McParadigm wrote:
lol


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: The National
PostPosted: Wed September 06, 2017 7:47 pm 
Offline
User avatar
Future Drummer
 Profile

Joined: Tue January 01, 2013 2:47 pm
Posts: 2006
proper version leaked

:heartbeat:

_________________
It's not our house that we remember,
it’s a feeling outside it when everyone's gone but we leave all the lights on anyway.


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: The National
PostPosted: Wed September 06, 2017 7:55 pm 
Offline
Future Drummer
 Profile

Joined: Thu January 03, 2013 1:10 am
Posts: 2405
PHATJ wrote:
I get that digster, and I'm glad you enjoy the differences with the live show, but the reason it's different and "deranged" is simply because Matt is incapable of singing those parts "properly" in concert.


Definitely, and IMO, they turn that potential liability into something that helps the song. When they play a song like Graceless live, Matt may just not be able to jump the octave in the last chorus and sing it cleanly. But the way I find it comes across is that the relentless pressure of the song finally pops. For me, the band is really good at turning the feelings of anxiety and panic into something cathartic; they feel anthemic, but for entirely different reasons than that word usually applies, and I think the panic in those moments where Matt's voice "breaks" for lack of a better term have to do with that.


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: The National
PostPosted: Wed September 06, 2017 7:56 pm 
Offline
Future Drummer
 Profile

Joined: Thu January 03, 2013 1:10 am
Posts: 2405
I'm excited to hear how the title track came out. I've only heard it a few times from that Pitchfork broadcast and it sounds fairly different.


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: The National
PostPosted: Wed September 06, 2017 8:37 pm 
Offline
User avatar
Looks Like a Cat
 Profile

Joined: Wed January 02, 2013 2:02 am
Posts: 13675
Location: Dat Azz
digster wrote:
PHATJ wrote:
I get that digster, and I'm glad you enjoy the differences with the live show, but the reason it's different and "deranged" is simply because Matt is incapable of singing those parts "properly" in concert.


Definitely, and IMO, they turn that potential liability into something that helps the song. When they play a song like Graceless live, Matt may just not be able to jump the octave in the last chorus and sing it cleanly. But the way I find it comes across is that the relentless pressure of the song finally pops. For me, the band is really good at turning the feelings of anxiety and panic into something cathartic; they feel anthemic, but for entirely different reasons than that word usually applies, and I think the panic in those moments where Matt's voice "breaks" for lack of a better term have to do with that.


Well said. They really are such a talented band.

_________________
LoathedVermin72 wrote:
Post better and stop being a dork.


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: The National
PostPosted: Wed September 06, 2017 9:23 pm 
Offline
User avatar
Posting (live)
 Profile

Joined: Wed January 02, 2013 11:15 pm
Posts: 17800
Location: Seattle, WA
just got an official digital copy of the album. about to give this a listen.


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: The National
PostPosted: Wed September 06, 2017 10:21 pm 
Offline
User avatar
Rank This Poster
 Profile

Joined: Fri July 26, 2013 12:34 am
Posts: 4642
Location: Chile
I kinda wish I hadn't listened to the earlier leak. A lot of these songs really come to life with this proper one. Especially Walk it Back so far.
And I'm not even somebody who's usually super concerned about sound quality

_________________
mikejasond wrote:
Beautiful T_T


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: The National
PostPosted: Wed September 06, 2017 10:26 pm 
Offline
User avatar
Rank This Poster
 Profile

Joined: Fri July 26, 2013 12:34 am
Posts: 4642
Location: Chile
Damn, I think this is way better than Trouble Will Find Me (which admittedly didn't do as much for me as the 3 albums that precede it).

_________________
mikejasond wrote:
Beautiful T_T


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: The National
PostPosted: Wed September 06, 2017 10:36 pm 
Offline
User avatar
A Return To Form
 Profile

Joined: Tue April 16, 2013 2:38 am
Posts: 139
I've never thought of Berninger's singing as any sort of limitation at their shows. He doesn't have a ton of range, but that never bothered me. I'm a fan of screaming Matt. Songs like Squalor Victoria are much better live largely as a result of it. I haven't listened to new album yet, but I didn't hear anything wrong with his singing last night on the new songs.


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: The National
PostPosted: Wed September 06, 2017 10:41 pm 
Offline
User avatar
Rank This Poster
 Profile

Joined: Fri July 26, 2013 12:34 am
Posts: 4642
Location: Chile
I'll Still Destroy You :heartbeat:

_________________
mikejasond wrote:
Beautiful T_T


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: The National
PostPosted: Thu September 07, 2017 12:03 am 
Offline
User avatar
Posting (live)
 Profile

Joined: Wed January 02, 2013 11:15 pm
Posts: 17800
Location: Seattle, WA
chewm wrote:
I'll Still Destroy You :heartbeat:


yeah, i am really digging that one

I dunno why, but i really love the line

Spoiler: show
Quote:
This one's like your mother's arms when she was young and sunburned in the '80s


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: The National
PostPosted: Thu September 07, 2017 12:12 am 
Offline
User avatar
Rank This Poster
 Profile

Joined: Fri July 26, 2013 12:34 am
Posts: 4642
Location: Chile
bodysnatcher wrote:
chewm wrote:
I'll Still Destroy You :heartbeat:


yeah, i am really digging that one

I dunno why, but i really love the line

Spoiler: show
Quote:
This one's like your mother's arms when she was young and sunburned in the '80s


Yeah, that one was among my favorites from the record. It's a very The National line too.

_________________
mikejasond wrote:
Beautiful T_T


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: The National
PostPosted: Thu September 07, 2017 4:13 am 
Offline
User avatar
AnalLog
 Profile

Joined: Tue January 01, 2013 3:07 pm
Posts: 1116
PHATJ wrote:
digster wrote:
PHATJ wrote:
I get that digster, and I'm glad you enjoy the differences with the live show, but the reason it's different and "deranged" is simply because Matt is incapable of singing those parts "properly" in concert.


Definitely, and IMO, they turn that potential liability into something that helps the song. When they play a song like Graceless live, Matt may just not be able to jump the octave in the last chorus and sing it cleanly. But the way I find it comes across is that the relentless pressure of the song finally pops. For me, the band is really good at turning the feelings of anxiety and panic into something cathartic; they feel anthemic, but for entirely different reasons than that word usually applies, and I think the panic in those moments where Matt's voice "breaks" for lack of a better term have to do with that.


Well said. They really are such a talented band.


The band tends to use a 'wall of sound' approach on stage, which as we know can work well.

To me studio and live performance are quite separate, the studio take is a frame of reference but not necessarily something I will compare that live performance to with heavy gravity; I can love them both but for reasons all their own.

_________________
absinthe makes the heart grow fonder...


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: The National
PostPosted: Thu September 07, 2017 1:02 pm 
Offline
User avatar
Looks Like a Cat
 Profile

Joined: Tue January 01, 2013 7:41 am
Posts: 14065
Location: Cumberland, RI
Lots of songs on this record about sleep and dreaming. The thematic unity really hit me on even just the first listen through. Gonna try to relisten as much as possible over the weekend.

_________________
McParadigm wrote:
lol


Top
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 695 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24 ... 35  Next

Board index » Word on the Street » Other Bands


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 6 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
It is currently Tue October 23, 2018 7:40 am