Switch to full style
Other than Pearl Jam, who else is there?
Post a reply

Re: The National

Sat October 17, 2020 12:09 am

yeah he looks great these days

Sat October 17, 2020 1:52 am

Mike wrote:Is the Matt album good? I love The National but can muster no enthusiasm for it.

Its lovely

Sat October 17, 2020 2:14 am

Simple Torture wrote:I'm not 100% sure, but those tracks might be vinyl-only.

yeah looks like deluxe LP only

ill keep an eye for them, if anyone finds also, please, SHARE 8-)

Sat October 17, 2020 2:44 am

This is great driving music

Sat October 17, 2020 3:05 am

Chris_H_2 wrote:This is great driving music

Damnit I was totally going to snag the album before leaving work.

Sat October 17, 2020 6:01 am

Chris_H_2 wrote:
PHATJ wrote:Guys, there are lots of great songs on Alligator. Obviously the band has matured and written some incredibly brilliant music since then, but Alligator is still has at least half a dozen damn good songs.

I don’t think anyone disagrees with this.

Ok. Hosanna.

Sat October 17, 2020 6:03 am

I gotta get this

Sat October 17, 2020 2:21 pm

PHATJ wrote:

I gotta get this

I was down on it at first when I heard the first singles. But man, does it work.

My wife said it was like The National was being backed by Jeff Tweedy.

Sat October 17, 2020 4:09 pm

My Eyes Are T-shirts reminds me of Karen, and Distant Axis is very reminiscent of a Decemberists song.

Overall, it’s pretty good. I still prefer him with The National, but he doesn’t try to get away from what he does well with them, and I feel that’s what’s working for me on the solo effort.

Sat October 17, 2020 4:18 pm

i have failed to give their last two a serious listen...i got about 45 minutes into i am easy to find this morning on a somewhat casual listen

Sat October 17, 2020 4:32 pm

The last two albums are good, but I don’t feel they’re as good as the four that preceded.

I’m not a fan of the album version of Rylan. Much prefer the one they did on KEXP. It’s not a National album I go back to much.

Sat October 17, 2020 8:02 pm

dad wrote:The last two albums are good, but I don’t feel they’re as good as the four that preceded.

I’m not a fan of the album version of Rylan. Much prefer the one they did on KEXP. It’s not a National album I go back to much.

that was my initial first reaction, but i know not to go on that...actually, i was never that big on alligator, but boxer>high violet>trouble will find me is an incredible run

Sat October 17, 2020 8:26 pm

Agreed hunner percent on the run from high violet to twfm. Trouble is my all-time fav.

Sat October 17, 2020 8:30 pm

dad wrote:Agreed hunner percent on the run from high violet to twfm. Trouble is my all-time fav.

i think it's my second...took me a bit to get there though

Sat October 17, 2020 9:00 pm

High Violet took me awhile to get into. But it’s now a firm second place.

Sat October 17, 2020 9:10 pm

what’s y’alls’ favs? Boxer?

Also, I meant Boxer to TWFM.

Sat October 17, 2020 9:15 pm

high violet
trouble will find me
boxer
idk

Sat October 17, 2020 9:16 pm

i am going to attempt to give them all firm listens in the near future in order to truly determine my opinions

-lenny

Sat October 17, 2020 9:24 pm

With the caveat that this is pretty impossible to rank these...

Boxer
Alligator
I Am Easy To Find
Trouble Will Find Me
Sleep Well Beast
High Violet
Sad Songs
S/T

...with the Cherry Tree EP hovering somewhere around SWB and High Violet. But honestly, these could all switch around, and I may just be putting Boxer at the top because it was my favorite for so long.

Sat October 17, 2020 9:35 pm

the national in general took me awhile to get into...i had heard a few older tracks and didn't care that much for them, then mr. november and had the same reaction (though i like it okay now)

it was probably here that somebody quote the "didn't anybody tell you how to gracefully disappear in a room..." and that made me want to give them another go...i believe boxer had been out a year or so at that point and it really grabbed me then
Post a reply