The board's server will undergo upgrade maintenance tonight, Nov 5, 2014, beginning approximately around 10 PM ET. Prepare for some possible down time during this process.
FAQ    Search

Board index » Word on the Street » Other Bands

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1746 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 47, 48, 49, 50, 51, 52, 53 ... 88  Next
 Post subject: Re: The National
PostPosted: Tue July 09, 2019 7:38 pm 
Future Drummer

Iholdthepain wrote:
E.H. Ruddock wrote:
Iholdthepain wrote:
diesel wrote:
this band has become conventional and predictable. they've lost the tension and angst that was in their earlier albums (both lyrically and musically) and without that they've become boring on record and live.

soooo... there's no reason to be in this thread, then...

:/

By that logic most people here shouldn't be on a Pearl Jam massage board

Good point, sorry...

...but why randomly just come into a thread and rain on a parade? If I think a band sucks and have lost it, I'm not going to just walk up to their fans and try to spoil their vibes. Why do that in a thread on a forum. If I see a thread by an artist or movie I don't like (Star Wars), I don't try to discredit others' enjoyment. I just don't get that.

BTW: what's a PJ massage board? Sounds kinky :naughty:

PostPosted: Tue July 09, 2019 7:55 pm 
Looks Like a Cat

diesel wrote:
this band has become conventional and predictable. they've lost the tension and angst that was in their earlier albums (both lyrically and musically) and without that they've become boring on record and live.

what earlier albums? they've really had the same styles since alligator, and that was almost 15 years ago.

PostPosted: Tue July 09, 2019 9:15 pm 
Future Drummer

This band is FAR from predictable... and I don't even know what conventional is anymore!

PostPosted: Tue July 09, 2019 11:15 pm 
Looks Like a Cat

yeah, that was a weird comment, especially considering the band just released its most unorthodox album where literally more than half of the lyrics are sung by someone other than the band's lead singer.

PostPosted: Wed July 10, 2019 12:15 am 
10Club Complaint Department

diesel wrote:

This is not a good take.

PostPosted: Wed July 10, 2019 3:20 pm 
A Return To Form

This is not about raining on your parade or pissing on the band or whatever, im just sharing my disappointment with their decline in quality.

I first saw these guys open for arcade fire on 5/4/7 (I think they had just put out boxer) and they blew me away. They only played a handful of songs to a nearly empty room bc everyone was boozing and chatting in the halls waiting for AF. I too didnt know of them but my friend had and wanted to see them live and I'm very glad we did, bc that show is always in my top 5 concerts list, equally due to AFs performance. Ive see this band many times since around DC and also in NYC - I saw them 3 times during the last tour and I saw them open the High Violet tour at BAM in brooklyn which was another of my all time favorite concerts. This should give me you a little context of where this band sits as one of the greats. The fact is that they've put three "classic' albums from alligator to HV. All three albums have incredible emotional and visceral qualities. What berninger lacks in vocal delivery / range, was more than made up by his in depth lyrics around the anxiety and angst of young adulthood, relationships, and parenthood. Musically the rhythm sections drive and the interplay between the guitars would add to that push/pull tension of the song, and the additional instrument of strings and horns would add to it.

My original point was I think lyrically, starting in TWFM, the songs have declined in quality based on a watering down of the qualities that I've mentioned above. In terms of live, they've become predictable b/c instead of changing their setlist, picking a greater range of their best songs from alligator to HV, they insist on playing fake empire, mr november and terrible love, consistently in their encores.

Last edited by diesel on Wed July 10, 2019 3:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Wed July 10, 2019 3:24 pm 
Posting (live)
 WWW  Profile

I think maybe you need a break from the band. I don't think they're designed to entertain people the way you want to be entertained. Not everything is for everybody, you know?

PostPosted: Wed July 10, 2019 3:31 pm 
Future Drummer

I saw them around the time Boxer came out, too. A virtually unknown Annie Clark opened with a solo performance. We met Matt before the show and again afterwards. Seen them at Red Rocks twice, also. This most recent album is the most unconventional one they've done yet, dude! Matt takes a HUGE step back, there are great guest singing performances, and it's forever tied now to what has probably been the most emotional movie I've ever seen!

What I think is happening here is the same syndrome Tool fans get. They definitely have their own unique style and sound, and maybe you've just grown bored with it.

I effing LOVE TWFM!

Last edited by Iholdthepain on Wed July 10, 2019 3:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Wed July 10, 2019 3:33 pm 
Posting (live)
 WWW  Profile

I watched that short film again recently and cried again... I can't get through it without crying like a stupid baby

PostPosted: Wed July 10, 2019 3:34 pm 
Future Drummer

tree_ wrote:
I watched that short film again recently and cried again... I can't get through it without crying like a stupid baby

Yup, Niagara Falls, Jimmy!

I can't watch it without blubbering.

PostPosted: Wed July 10, 2019 3:35 pm 
Posting (live)
 WWW  Profile

me either franklin

PostPosted: Wed July 10, 2019 3:36 pm 
Posting (live)
 WWW  Profile

yeah, raz wants to listen to this band all the time now and I've grown tired of a lot of it.. but it's a preference thing... I can't get down on the band for doing what they do, cause they do it so goddamn well!

PostPosted: Wed July 10, 2019 3:40 pm 
Future Drummer

Who do you want to go down on?

PostPosted: Wed July 10, 2019 3:42 pm 
Posting (live)
 WWW  Profile

Iholdthepain wrote:
PEEPS

PostPosted: Wed July 10, 2019 3:46 pm 
Future Drummer

tree_ wrote:
Iholdthepain wrote:
PEEPS

Ewwwwww!

PostPosted: Thu July 11, 2019 6:04 am 
AnalLog

diesel wrote:
This is not about raining on your parade or pissing on the band or whatever, im just sharing my disappointment with their decline in quality.

I first saw these guys open for arcade fire on 5/4/7 (I think they had just put out boxer) and they blew me away. They only played a handful of songs to a nearly empty room bc everyone was boozing and chatting in the halls waiting for AF. I too didnt know of them but my friend had and wanted to see them live and I'm very glad we did, bc that show is always in my top 5 concerts list, equally due to AFs performance. Ive see this band many times since around DC and also in NYC - I saw them 3 times during the last tour and I saw them open the High Violet tour at BAM in brooklyn which was another of my all time favorite concerts. This should give me you a little context of where this band sits as one of the greats. The fact is that they've put three "classic' albums from alligator to HV. All three albums have incredible emotional and visceral qualities. What berninger lacks in vocal delivery / range, was more than made up by his in depth lyrics around the anxiety and angst of young adulthood, relationships, and parenthood. Musically the rhythm sections drive and the interplay between the guitars would add to that push/pull tension of the song, and the additional instrument of strings and horns would add to it.

My original point was I think lyrically, starting in TWFM, the songs have declined in quality based on a watering down of the qualities that I've mentioned above. In terms of live, they've become predictable b/c instead of changing their setlist, picking a greater range of their best songs from alligator to HV, they insist on playing fake empire, mr november and terrible love, consistently in their encores.

ugh i hate to agree with all of this but i do, especially the encore stuff. at this point in their career they know they have a dedicated fan base that's been rather loyal (they aren't playing arenas) and should mix it up more live.

how many times do we need to see matt walk into the audience in an encore? got it. just play some different songs. mr. november, despite it being relevant in trump era, is so overplayed. as is all the other encore songs they play every single night and have for years.

i'm planning on going to denver to see them and they are playing two nights and after seeing the setlists they did in brooklyn over two nights why bother? nearly identical. it's just odd.

PostPosted: Thu July 11, 2019 7:13 am 
10Club Complaint Department

I have loved every album since Sad Songs for Dirty Lovers with the exception of Sleep Well Beast, which I think is good but not great. The new album has blown my expectations away. I think it might be Matt’s best album lyrically, and the band is just in perfect form. The addition of the female lead works beautifully. The interplay Matt has with the female singers on stage, the story they tell through lyrics and melody, and emotion, is beautiful.

I would love to see them do another album more stylistically similar to Alligator and Boxer again. Someday. But I trust this band’s musical judgment. I love how they’ve evolved. I love how they work with Matt’s limited range and still have beautiful melodies and interesting arrangements. And I admire that they’ve somehow kept a signature sound while still pushing creative boundaries and telling beautiful, emotional stories.

I agree that they could be more creative with their encores. Id love to hear them play songs like “Lit Up”, “Murder Me Rachel”, “Available” or “Patters of Fairytales”. That would be a cream dream.

PostPosted: Thu July 11, 2019 3:52 pm 
Looks Like a Cat

i've been criticizing the band for years for not shaking their setlists up, particularly their encores. hell, i think i posted a couple of times in this thread going some time back. but that has nothing to do with, nor is it a reflection of, the quality of their studio efforts, which i would hardly characterize as stagnant or uninspired.

PostPosted: Thu July 11, 2019 5:52 pm 
See you in another life, brother

Chris_H_2 wrote:
i've been criticizing the band for years for not shaking their setlists up, particularly their encores. hell, i think i posted a couple of times in this thread going some time back. but that has nothing to do with, nor is it a reflection of, the quality of their studio efforts, which i would hardly characterize as stagnant or uninspired.

Agreed. The newest album is amazing. Their lack of setlist diversity, not so much.

PostPosted: Thu July 11, 2019 6:32 pm 
AnalLog

Yah I have no issues with their musical output. I love all the albums.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1746 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 47, 48, 49, 50, 51, 52, 53 ... 88  Next

Board index » Word on the Street » Other Bands