The board's server will undergo upgrade maintenance tonight, Nov 5, 2014, beginning approximately around 10 PM ET. Prepare for some possible down time during this process.
FAQ    Search

Board index » Word on the Street » Other Bands

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1746 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 45, 46, 47, 48, 49, 50, 51 ... 88  Next
 Post subject: Re: The National
PostPosted: Wed June 12, 2019 10:07 pm 
Looks Like a Cat

looked like a great setlist last night. have fun.

PostPosted: Thu June 13, 2019 1:07 pm 
Future Drummer

I would have been pretty happy with last night's set.
Listened to the new album again this weekend while driving around town, I am taking to it much quicker than Sleep Well Beast. I have honestly retired from concerts but I would find it difficult to pass up another chance to see The National. I wish my first gig was taped but at least I have the night before.

PostPosted: Thu June 13, 2019 4:57 pm 
A Return To Form

It was a great show. Glad I went.

Anyone know where I might be able to get an audio recording of it? They broadcast it over the radio so I assume someone recorded it...

PostPosted: Thu June 13, 2019 5:22 pm 
Future Drummer

j's brain wrote:
It was a great show. Glad I went.

Anyone know where I might be able to get an audio recording of it? They broadcast it over the radio so I assume someone recorded it...

I would probably just keep an eye on their Archive page.

PostPosted: Thu June 13, 2019 8:12 pm 
Rank This Poster

It was a really good show, though it definitely takes this band a little while to figure out how best to get their new songs over live (I'm thinking back to that initial Paris performance where they premiered most of SWB, and how those songs sounded compared to what they turned into). The backup singers were great, and I hope they continue to find new songs from the past to use them on.

The crowd was kind of dead, I thought, but of the new stuff Oblivions and Hey Rosey seemed to be particularly popular, which surprised me. And I feel like they still haven't figured out how to get Where Is Her Head right live, but once they do it's going to be a showstopper. Finally, I thought the best performed new song (though it's not my favorite on record) may have been Not in Kansas. For something that could so easily go wrong live, it sounds great already.

PostPosted: Thu June 13, 2019 10:50 pm 
Rank This Poster

PostPosted: Fri June 14, 2019 1:21 am 
The Master

that didn't do a lot for me

i still haven't listened to their last album :oops:

PostPosted: Fri June 14, 2019 2:26 am 
Looks Like a Cat

lennytheweedwhacker wrote:

I threw on side one of high violet today and remembered that I like that album a lot.

PostPosted: Fri June 14, 2019 4:02 am 
The Master

washing machine wrote:

I threw on side one of high violet today and remembered that I like that album a lot.

i love high violet...my favorite from them

PostPosted: Fri June 14, 2019 4:05 am 
Looks Like a Cat

washing machine wrote:

Thanks

PostPosted: Fri June 14, 2019 4:08 am 
The Master

washing machine wrote:
washing machine wrote:

Thanks

leave me alone

PostPosted: Mon June 17, 2019 11:18 pm 
A Return To Form

digster wrote:
It was a really good show, though it definitely takes this band a little while to figure out how best to get their new songs over live (I'm thinking back to that initial Paris performance where they premiered most of SWB, and how those songs sounded compared to what they turned into). The backup singers were great, and I hope they continue to find new songs from the past to use them on.

The crowd was kind of dead, I thought, but of the new stuff Oblivions and Hey Rosey seemed to be particularly popular, which surprised me. And I feel like they still haven't figured out how to get Where Is Her Head right live, but once they do it's going to be a showstopper. Finally, I thought the best performed new song (though it's not my favorite on record) may have been Not in Kansas. For something that could so easily go wrong live, it sounds great already.

I agree - the whole show was very subdued for some reason. The audio was bad as well (too soft). A lot of the new songs are slower and the outdoor setting made it tough. I still had a blast and I really enjoyed the set list but I did think something was off.

PostPosted: Tue June 18, 2019 2:05 am 
Future Drummer

j's brain wrote:
digster wrote:

I agree - the whole show was very subdued for some reason. The audio was bad as well (too soft). A lot of the new songs are slower and the outdoor setting made it tough. I still had a blast and I really enjoyed the set list but I did think something was off.

The National need a theatre I feel, the Beacon and Gilman in New York are essentially perfect; I did see them at the Studio @ Webster Hall and even those tight dynamics were better than open air.

PostPosted: Tue June 18, 2019 2:30 pm 
Looks Like a Cat

oasisfan35 wrote:
j's brain wrote:
digster wrote:

The National need a theatre I feel, the Beacon and Gilman in New York are essentially perfect; I did see them at the Studio @ Webster Hall and even those tight dynamics were better than open air.

so i'm going to ann arbor next tuesday which is a theatre (albeit more cavernous), following by next friday in chicago at northerly island (a large, expansive outdoor venue literally on lake michigan). those two shows should put this to a good test.

PostPosted: Wed June 19, 2019 1:20 am 
See you in another life, brother

I saw them last night in an amphitheater and I thought they sounded fantastic. The new songs were great and they played pretty much everything from the new album that I needed them to. Great show, better than the show I saw them play for Sleep Well Beast. I do wish they would play Slow Show for me just once, though.

PostPosted: Wed June 19, 2019 5:16 am 
Looks Like a Cat

4/5 wrote:
I saw them last night in an amphitheater and I thought they sounded fantastic. The new songs were great and they played pretty much everything from the new album that I needed them to. Great show, better than the show I saw them play for Sleep Well Beast. I do wish they would play Slow Show for me just once, though.

But you got Brainy!

PostPosted: Wed June 19, 2019 12:13 pm 
See you in another life, brother

Chris_H_2 wrote:
4/5 wrote:

But you got Brainy!

Which was really, really cool. It was an awesome show. Oh, and Courtney Barnett was really good as well. I came in halfway through her set but I was really impressed.

PostPosted: Wed June 19, 2019 3:02 pm 
AnalLog

4/5 wrote:

Slow Show was my wedding song, though I have probably said that a few times in this thread.

PostPosted: Wed June 19, 2019 3:05 pm 
Posting (live)
 WWW  Profile

given2trade wrote:
4/5 wrote:

Slow Show was my wedding song, though I have probably said that a few times in this thread.
My wife adores that song. Every time it gets to the 29 years part, she's like OH I LOVE THIS SONG. I'm like, yeah, ... just this part, though. Then she has me start it over. We met each other at 30 years old.

PostPosted: Wed June 19, 2019 3:06 pm 
The Master

I really like that song too.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1746 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 45, 46, 47, 48, 49, 50, 51 ... 88  Next

Board index » Word on the Street » Other Bands