The board's server will undergo upgrade maintenance tonight, Nov 5, 2014, beginning approximately around 10 PM ET. Prepare for some possible down time during this process.
FAQ    Search

Board index » Word on the Street » Other Bands

Post subject: New David Bowie song
PostPosted: Tue January 08, 2013 5:41 pm 
AnalLog

that's unexpected:

Spoiler: show
i'm not sure that i like this.

David Bowie celebrated his 66th birthday this morning with a surprise for everyone else: he broke a long musical silence with the new single "Where Are We Now?" from a forthcoming album, The Next Day, which is due in March. Recorded in New York with longtime collaborator Tony Visconti producing, the unexpected album is Bowie's first collection of new material since 2003.

The Next Day, Bowie's 30th studio recording, follows 46 years after his self-titled 1967 debut. It's the latest chapter in an iconic career that has veered from the glam of Ziggy Stardust to a stylized Eighties pop sound to the wide-ranging musical sensibilities of albums like Heathen in 2002 and Reality in 2003. Bowie has also produced landmark LPs by Lou Reed and Iggy Pop.

Bowie also released a video for "Where Are We Now?" Shot by Tony Oursler, the clip revisits Berlin, the site of no small measure of rock & roll decadence for Bowie in the Seventies, and watches as the singer revisits places he knew then, including an auto repair shop downstairs from his old apartment.

The Next Day is available for pre-order in standard and deluxe editions through iTunes.

http://www.rollingstone.com/music/news/david-bowie-returns-with-first-new-music-in-10-years-20130108

Post subject: Re: New David Bowie song
PostPosted: Wed January 09, 2013 10:58 pm 
Broken Tamborine

Man, this came completely out of the blue, didn't it?

Love Bowie, always did...

PostPosted: Wed January 09, 2013 11:14 pm 
Broken Tamborine

A nice read with Tony Visconti (his producer)... They worked on this in secret for 2 years, and then shocked the world yesterday with the announcement.

http://www.rollingstone.com/music/news/david-bowie-worked-in-secret-on-comeback-lp-for-two-years-20130109

PostPosted: Wed January 09, 2013 11:17 pm 
Looks Like a Cat

Reality is ten years old? Jesus.

Based on that song, that's some pretty impressive tightrope walking on Bowie's part. At any point, the music could have dropped off into a rehashed oblivion, yet Bowie deftly gets from point A to point B sounding like he's got a record full of new ideas. I'm excited to hear the rest.

Board index » Word on the Street » Other Bands