The board's server will undergo upgrade maintenance tonight, Nov 5, 2014, beginning approximately around 10 PM ET. Prepare for some possible down time during this process.
FAQ    Search

Board index » Word on the Street » Other Bands

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 234 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 8, 9, 10, 11, 12
 Post subject: Re: Fleetwood Mac
PostPosted: Wed February 01, 2023 3:49 pm 
Future Drummer

liebzz wrote:
Amazing what this guy’s late career brought.

PostPosted: Wed February 01, 2023 6:56 pm 
Major Dude

Man, you’re on a tear. I’m gonna start with all these Buckingham albums on the way home today.

PostPosted: Thu February 02, 2023 12:06 am 
Major Dude

liebzz wrote:
Lindsey Buckingham - Under the Skin

The Lindsey Buckingham creative renaissance continues with this one. The songs are great. The structures are always interesting. He’s playing a mean acoustic guitar. It’s a bit stripped down from some of his other work, but all the better for it. He’s living at this point in that sweet spot he nailed on Say You Will. Not Too Late, Show You How, Under the Skin, It Was You, Cast Away Dreams, Someone’s Gotta Change Your Mind are all really good highlights - the last of which might be my favorite on this one.

Great album. Certainly more “toned down” than anything we’ve heard previously. There’s not really a bad song on here and while there were a couple I REALLY liked, I don’t think it’s anything I would revisit often. Again, not that it’s bad at all. Just not my style that I would listen to a lot.

liebzz wrote:
Lindsey Buckingham - Live at the Bass Performance Hall

Released from the tour of Under the Skin, this live album is possibly the top live release in this journey so far. We’ve got the hits, Fleetwood Mac and solo, and we’ve got the right combination of songs that really provides the best example of Buckingham live. His maturity, excellent guitar work, and passionate delivery is in perfect balance. Not Too Late, Trouble, Big Love, and Go Insane have some amazing acoustic-like moments where you can really hear his playing. I’m so Afraid and Go Your Own Way are both epic and have some solo tweaks that keep them interesting. This is as close to as must hear as it’s going to get.

It really is. Wonderful live performances. A few bad mixing jobs but a GREAT album. I think I prefer that last FM live album tho.

PostPosted: Thu February 02, 2023 12:29 pm 
Fake NYC Setlist Relayer

Stevie Nicks - In Your Dreams

Lindsey Buckingham was certainly having a big moment in the aughts with the remainder of the band semi-retired and/or waiting around? In either event, Nicks released her first album in a decade - really a decade after she had a string of pretty forgettable albums, save for Fleetwood Mac’s Say You Will, which was largely carried by Buckingham. This one follows that same pattern largely - a collection of largely forgettable mid-tempo rock songs that feel like they are trying to recapture whatever magic existed in the early 80s, but never living up to that. There’s nothing terrible on this album, but there’s also nothing particularly striking to note either.

PostPosted: Thu February 02, 2023 12:55 pm 
Fake NYC Setlist Relayer

Fleetwood Mac - Extended Play

The last Fleetwood Mac studio release proper still feels like a Buckingham Nicks production. Miss Fantasy and Sad Angel are the best of this bunch. I am sure they may have had an album in there, but I guess it wasn’t to be. This was quick and solid though.

PostPosted: Thu February 02, 2023 4:58 pm 
Major Dude

liebzz wrote:
Fleetwood Mac - Extended Play

The last Fleetwood Mac studio release proper still feels like a Buckingham Nicks production. Miss Fantasy and Sad Angel are the best of this bunch. I am sure they may have had an album in there, but I guess it wasn’t to be. This was quick and solid though.

Was McVie not back in the fold for this?

PostPosted: Thu February 02, 2023 9:01 pm 
Fake NYC Setlist Relayer

She was not. It was the four - John McVie, Fleetwood, Buckingham, Nicks.

PostPosted: Thu February 02, 2023 10:59 pm 
Fake NYC Setlist Relayer

Stevie Nicks - 24 Karat Gold: Songs From the Vault

The final Nicks release for the journey is probably the best album of her since Wild Hearts, especially the first 2/3 of this one. Starshine, The Dealer, Mabel Normand, Cathouse Blues, 24 Karat Gold, Hard Advice, Lady, and I Don’t Care are all excellent. Apparently convinced to clean up and re-record from demos online of her cast aways from the 70s and 80s, these all have great energy and she’s at her best in a long while here. A nice way to finish her contributions to this.

PostPosted: Fri February 03, 2023 12:42 pm 
Fake NYC Setlist Relayer

Buckingham McVie

McVie’s last album ends up basically a Fleetwood Mac album sans Stevie Nicks. McVie’s penchant for pop with Buckingham’s quirky sense of rock. Largely, this is a nice listen. Perhaps not on the level of Buckingham’s solo work in the decade plus prior, but he keeps things interesting and McVie keeps it easy to digest. In My World and Too Far Gone were my favorites but this is a solid release.

PostPosted: Fri February 03, 2023 1:24 pm 
Fake NYC Setlist Relayer

Lindsey Buckingham

His most recent album to date is a pretty solid, completely solo effort. A one man show. Really, the first half of this album is great and it sort of loses steam in the second half. Scream, I Don’t Mind, On the Wrong Side, Swan Song, and Blue Light are all excellent, and Buckingham continues to look for new places and creative avenues, even if a bit more poppy than his other solo efforts. There’s even some level of a dance like drum machine loop in Sean Song that’s pretty infectious. The remainder of the album was a bit of a snooze for me, but he’s built enough of a solid foundation with his work that you can sort of give it a pass.

PostPosted: Sun February 05, 2023 10:51 pm 
Fake NYC Setlist Relayer

I was going to listen to Mick Fleetwood and friends play the music of Peter Green but I just don’t think i care enough, though it would have been nice to go full circle.

PostPosted: Mon February 06, 2023 12:10 pm 
Major Dude

I’m struggling to find the motivation to finish out the last of the Buckingham and Nicks albums and the EP.

PostPosted: Mon February 06, 2023 12:41 pm 
Fake NYC Setlist Relayer

wease wrote:
I’m struggling to find the motivation to finish out the last of the Buckingham and Nicks albums and the EP.

I was pretty positive on all that.

PostPosted: Mon February 06, 2023 2:36 pm 
Major Dude

liebzz wrote:
wease wrote:

I was pretty positive on all that.

Oh I know. And that’s probably the only thing that makes me want to listen to them.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 234 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 8, 9, 10, 11, 12

Board index » Word on the Street » Other Bands