The board's server will undergo upgrade maintenance tonight, Nov 5, 2014, beginning approximately around 10 PM ET. Prepare for some possible down time during this process.
FAQ    Search

Board index » Word on the Street » Other Bands

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 63 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject: Re: The official The Melvins are awesome Thread
PostPosted: Sat February 11, 2017 10:03 pm 
jeeeesus relax already

Almost a year from my last post here, and Goddamn...Basses Loaded is fucking good.

Planet Destructo is still a fav.

PostPosted: Thu June 01, 2017 3:08 pm 
jeeeesus relax already

I cant wait for the new double LP from these guys..seems one of the albums will be a experimental kind of noise. Like a soundtrack.

In the meantime the new solo song from the upcoming Dale Crover album is fucking amazing....GO FUCK YOURSELF TAME IMPALA!!

PostPosted: Thu June 01, 2017 7:20 pm 
A Return To Form

This is probably my most anticipated release of the summer.

PostPosted: Fri July 07, 2017 7:22 pm 
jeeeesus relax already

NEW MELVINS ALBUM OUT TODAY.

FUCKERS.

PostPosted: Sat August 05, 2017 4:09 pm 
jeeeesus relax already

DALE'S ALBUM IS FUCKING AMAZING YOU MOTHERFUCKERS.

PostPosted: Sun August 06, 2017 11:15 pm 
jeeeesus relax already

Dale's album is really really good. A mixture between experimental and straightfowrward rock and roll...its just too good.

PostPosted: Thu November 23, 2017 7:34 pm 
jeeeesus relax already

I ve been enjoying A Walk With Love And Death a lot.

Pretty amazing stuff.

PostPosted: Sun April 22, 2018 12:09 am 
jeeeesus relax already

New Melvins is out motherfuckers!!!

:bammer: :bammer: :bammer: :bammer:

PostPosted: Sat September 29, 2018 10:36 pm 
jeeeesus relax already

Damn Crystal Fairy is such a cool album.

What a monster.

PostPosted: Thu November 29, 2018 3:22 am 
The Master

Man, it feels really good to listen to some Melvins for the first time in YEARS. I've cranked Lysol, Honky, and Hostile Ambient Takeover so far tonight. These guys were so fucking good, wow.

PostPosted: Thu November 29, 2018 1:24 pm 
jeeeesus relax already

were?

They are amazing.

PostPosted: Sat December 01, 2018 5:23 am 
Future Drummer

the melvins contributed a version of 'in the flesh?' to a new pink floyd - the wall tribute record. it's a pretty straightforward cover, except they decided to sing and play the chorus to blondie's 'in the flesh' during the verse instead.

PostPosted: Sat December 01, 2018 1:56 pm 
jeeeesus relax already

Thats cool. Fuck i love Melvins so much.

PostPosted: Sun April 28, 2019 11:17 pm 
jeeeesus relax already

Listening to Bullhead right now

:bammer: :bammer: :bammer:

PostPosted: Mon April 29, 2019 12:05 am 
AnalLog

Gonna be seeing these guys at Stoned & Dusted next month, can't fucking wait!

PostPosted: Mon April 29, 2019 1:15 am 
jeeeesus relax already

Thats awesome!! Come back with a full review please.

PostPosted: Mon April 29, 2019 2:55 pm 
AnalLog

VinylGuy wrote:
Thats awesome!! Come back with a full review please.

I'm planning on it!

PostPosted: Sun June 23, 2019 1:49 am 
10Club Complaint Department

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid ... 7636882529

Quote:
Brian: What about punk rock? How about the influence of punk rock and how about the punk rock of today?

Buzz: I despise hipsters and the hipster mentality. Hipsters spend the majority of their time looking over their shoulder to make sure that everybody else is into what they are into. That’s it. They are too cool to do this, they are too cool to do that. They have never been supportive of anything that I have ever done, and I have never forgotten that. I am like a fucking elephant with that stuff. I am not a good old days kind of guy. I hate that shit, I fucking hate it. We are a progressive band and we are modern. We aren’t an oldies act, we don’t fit into that category.

We are ten times more punk rock than any of the bands that would be at something like Punk Rock Bowling. They don’t see that. Why? Because that is exactly the very reason why we are doing what we are doing. They never have seen that or understood it and it’s not my job to make them understand it and I don’t care if they ever understand it. I am not there to impress anyone or be a part of anything. I watched that documentary about Fat Records, right? Over and over and over, he is in there telling these bands what they should do. “You should do this, you should do that, this song is good, that song is good.” You aren’t my fucking Dad, I will do whatever I fucking want. (Laughter) The last thing I need is your advice. Atlantic Records didn’t even do that to us. (Laughter) He is supposed to be Mr. Punk Rock. If that is punk rock then I am not that. That is worse than everything we set out to be against. You are going to tell bands what is good and bad. Who the fuck are you? Who died and made you a son of a bitch? “Okay Mike..I will do what you say and we will sell a bunch of records. Please tell us what we should do.”

I don’t get it. I never got it, and don’t understand any of it. They are doing one thing, and I am doing another.

Brian: I remember when I met you and did an interview with you guys and I always remember you saying this great quote, “All of you kids out there listening to hardcore might as well better start listening to the MC5 and the Stooges now, because you are going to end up listening to them soon anyways.” It was the summer of 1986,and it was somehow a prophetic quote, because look what happened a few years later. A lot of punk rockers do this thing where they always show how ignorant they are of other kinds of music, like heavy metal and hard rock music. They pretend that none of that music had any worth and it was only when they heard punk rock that they were suddenly..shown the light. I don’t trust any of those people at all. One of the reasons I remember I liked the Melvins was because you liked punk rock but had roots in what had happened before and saw the worth in it. I was the same way, I didn’t throw out all of my older rock records because of punk rock. It was just, fine...more good music for me to enjoy. Your quote was very ahead of its time.

Buzz: I always liked that stuff. We always knew what was good. The stuff I liked at seventeen years old I still like. I was listening to the MC5 in the seventies. I found out about all of that stuff through the Sex Pistols. Because they did that song “No Fun” which led me to The Stooges which led me to the MC5. I was a lot younger than say...Legs McNeil. (Laughter) I certainly had no cool older brothers. I found out about all of that stuff on my own.

If a band was good, we were going to like it, no matter who it was. We were the type of people that would go see Black Flag and Van Halen in the same week. People made fun of Van Halen, and they were wrong. They were fucking great. Wrong would be the word that I would use, because if you saw Van Halen on the “Woman And Children First” tour, you would be wrong, because they were fucking amazing. With no hint of irony whatsoever.

On playing the Chris Cornell tribute concert awhile ago:

Brian: I talked to Dale about this, but I didn’t ask you when it had happened so...the Melvins have obviously influenced a certain amount of people over the years but in terms of being acknowledged, you never seem to get invited to the “party” but you had said, “well that is okay. I don’t mind not going to the party.” And not too long ago you were invited by the surviving members of Soundgarden to play that concert paying tribute to Chris Cornell. Soundgarden were peers and friends and were a hugely successful band. And I was talking to Dale about it and thought that this might have been the first time outside of interviews and things like that where the Melvins were actually acknowledged to be a part of something that was meaningful. Except it wasn’t really for good time reasons obviously. Was that an emotional experience for you?

Buzz: You know, it was nice of them to do that. I just wish it was under better circumstances. I couldn’t get past the heaviness of the whole thing. There was no celebration there for me. So it wasn’t like, “Yeah! This is great!” I even told those guys that I wish we would have done this when he was alive.

Brian: Yeah. Of course.

Buzz: Instead of now. In hindsight, of course you would think that. They have been through a lot, those guys. You know? Just like the Nirvana guys. You know, you don’t always make the right decisions, especially in the Nirvana camp. And I have no idea what motivates people of that nature. I know that is not what I would do. But with the Soundgarden guys I was always really happy with their success. I always thought that they were fair to us in terms of what I thought we had given them, and as far as what the influence was. And I thought that it was cool that they did really well, that we were influencing stuff that was big on a global level, that was really cool. Now...time moves on, you move on from that whole thing. I am left with all of that stuff and what do you do? You move forward. That is it. You keep moving.

It was cool to do it but I can’t say that it was great because it was too fucking hard. For me. To think that is what it took to have that happen. I would rather have me have no fanfare whatsoever and have him be alive. I don’t care about any of that stuff. I would rather have you know...Kurt Cobain not be famous and be alive, then having it the way that it is. I wish no one had to do a Chris Cornell concert. I would have been happy having a concert like that happen long before one of these tragedies happened.

Business:

Brian: We both are fans of a lot of music that never seemed to catch on with people. Yet for the Melvins, you have never come close to being one of those bands and have lasted for decades. It never happened to you.

Buzz: Nope. It never will.

Brian: Was there a conscious way to avoid that? Because I can’t say that it was luck. You guys worked hard and pretty much created your own luck, and so many other bands, bands that I thought were great, couldn’t do that.

Buzz: Well, I quit working in 1988, that was the last time I had a straight job. At that time we put out the Ozma record with Tom Flynn, and it actually did okay. That is a really weird record. It sold out of the gate like ten thousand copies. For some reason it just hit on that level. I mean..it’s a tiny level, it’s not big.

Brian: Maybe having an honest person on your side right out of the gate.

Buzz: Yes, that totally helped. Tom Flynn is honest. He paid us everything that we were owed every six months, and he continues to do so to this very day. This has happened for the last...thirty years.

Brian: You haven’t had a manager for decades, it is just you and a guy from a booking agent.

Buzz: If I have to hire a lawyer to figure out if I can trust you, then I don’t want to work with you.

Brian: One of my favorite quotes by you, in terms of business and who you do business with, as a good rule of thumb was your quote about if someone you worked with in business did something really unethical...going into business with the type of person who would cheat on their wife, or partner or whatever you want to call it.

Buzz: Oh yeah, I have thought that for a long time...if someone is willing to do that to someone in the most intimate relationship they will ever have in their lives, what are they going to do to you? I mean, we have been in that situation a few times but by and large if that is the kind of behavior that someone is going to do, if that is normal for them then I probably won’t be starting a close business relationship with them. I wouldn’t put them in charge of the money. (Laughter) I have never personally done that stuff, that is the kind of guy I am. You have been around me for...thirty years. I am not into that. I got into this for the music. That’s why I got into it.

And I have this idea that I can make a lot more money by treating people fairly then I ever could by ripping people off. And that is the main thing that most people don’t understand about capitalism. They think that it usually means grabbing as much money as they can and screwing people over. That is for children. (Laughter) I want longstanding relationships with people who are treated fairly. I will get a lot more done and accomplished in the long run if I treat people right, and I don’t need a third party to tell me what that is. (Laughter)

PostPosted: Sun June 23, 2019 6:33 am 
AnalLog

Birds in Hell wrote:
https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10220207636882529

Goddamn that’s awesome. Every fucking word.

Last edited by Superblood Wolfmoon on Sun June 23, 2019 4:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sun June 23, 2019 1:47 pm 
The Master

Why the fuck would you quote the whole interview

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 63 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Board index » Word on the Street » Other Bands