The board's server will undergo upgrade maintenance tonight, Nov 5, 2014, beginning approximately around 10 PM ET. Prepare for some possible down time during this process.
FAQ    Search

Board index » Word on the Street » Other Bands

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 4284 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 112, 113, 114, 115, 116, 117, 118 ... 215  Next
 Post subject: Re: Total Fucking Godhead / The Soundgarden Thread
PostPosted: Mon January 30, 2017 3:39 pm 
Production Police

matt reeder wrote:
What did people think of the mix that I posted?

I opted to skip it, though I certainly appreciate the effort. Soundgarden is one of those bands I've never felt the need to get too deep with. The studio cuts suit me just fine, and then it's nice to get the b-sides and outtakes that have trickled out.

PostPosted: Mon January 30, 2017 5:03 pm 
I've been POOSSTTIiiEEnngeeaahh

It's awesome Matt! I wish it was all soundboards of course but that ain't gonna happen. I want to kill that guy talking at the end of My Good Eye. Kill him dead.

PostPosted: Mon January 30, 2017 5:12 pm 
I've been POOSSTTIiiEEnngeeaahh

If only the studio version of Boot Camp had that outro....my god.

PostPosted: Mon January 30, 2017 5:32 pm 
A Return To Form

the end sucks wrote:
Echoes of miles was pretty good but was sort of a missed opportunity to include all their unreleased studio songs. 49 tracks and they only included 4 unreleased studio songs - Kristi, Storm, Twin Tower and Night Surf. The deluxe editions of Superunknown Badmotorfinger etc. haven't been exactly what I wanted either. We've been teased since 1996 about OCEAN FRONTS and since the 20th anniversary of DOTU has come and gone with only a lame vinyl reissue, does anyone here know if there's going to be a deluxe edition of DOTU? OCEAN FRONTS might be the last unreleased studio Soundgarden song with Ben from the 1990's and I sincerely hope they release it soon.

I was a little disappointed at the time too. But there is quite a lot of totally unreleased stuff left which gives hope to the possibility of them releasing an interesting compilation in the future. For example there are the following tracks: Ocean Fronts, No Shame, Beast, Summation, A Broom, Dirty Candy, Open Up, How Should I Know. There's also the 6 songs from the Bruce Pavitt demo tape - not to mention whatever is on their first demo tape. There's enough there to justify a separate release if Kim wants to. Maybe that was his plan the whole time - to release a b-sides comp (with a couple of unreleased gems to keep people happy), and then release the really rare shit down the line? I certainly hope so.

PostPosted: Mon January 30, 2017 5:43 pm 
A Return To Form

VinylGuy wrote:
I dont know what ocean fronts is, and im not sure the band teased about it, but dotu is my favorite era i think and i want everything from it.

Interview with Kim in 2009:
http://www.rollingstone.com/music/news/ ... e-20090721

"There's enough unreleased stuff to make an album."

PostPosted: Mon January 30, 2017 6:00 pm 
Production Police

fyfe79 wrote:
VinylGuy wrote:
I dont know what ocean fronts is, and im not sure the band teased about it, but dotu is my favorite era i think and i want everything from it.

Interview with Kim in 2009:
http://www.rollingstone.com/music/news/ ... e-20090721

"There's enough unreleased stuff to make an album."

Anyone know if perhaps they resurrected any of those tracks for King Animal, and just gave them a new name?

PostPosted: Mon January 30, 2017 8:52 pm 
A Return To Form

According to wiki; "The band members stated the new album [King Animal] would consist of material that was "90 percent new" and the rest consisting of updated versions of older ideas." One of the older ideas was Ben's "Taree" which was never a Soundgarden song anyway, so it seems most of the old unreleased stuff remains unused.

PostPosted: Mon January 30, 2017 9:19 pm 
Production Police

fyfe79 wrote:
According to wiki; "The band members stated the new album [King Animal] would consist of material that was "90 percent new" and the rest consisting of updated versions of older ideas." One of the older ideas was Ben's "Taree" which was never a Soundgarden song anyway, so it seems most of the old unreleased stuff remains unused.

Thanks!

PostPosted: Mon January 30, 2017 9:23 pm 
Mind Your Tanners

fyfe79 wrote:

Thanks Siri!

lol j/k

PostPosted: Mon January 30, 2017 10:27 pm 
jeeeesus relax already

Yeah i think only Taree and A Thousand Days Before were old ideas but not from those years.

PostPosted: Mon January 30, 2017 10:37 pm 
Future Drummer

Best song ever:

PostPosted: Mon January 30, 2017 10:41 pm 
jeeeesus relax already

Oh yeah Kristi is incredible. Soundgarden at its finest.

PostPosted: Tue January 31, 2017 12:20 am 
Banned from the Pit

VinylGuy wrote:

Ocean Fronts is an unreleased studio song from the DOTU era. I think it was mentioned on this thread a while back (or maybe another forum) that Ocean Fronts was listed on some Soundgarden related website in 1996 (probably an official Soundgarden website and/or the official A&M Records website) and the lyrics were posted. Since the lyrics were put on the internet in 1996 just prior to DOTU being released, it's fair to say that Ocean Fronts is a fully completed song. If you google search 'Soundgarden Ocean Fronts lyrics' you'll find the lyrics on many sites. Those lyrics sites state the music is by Kim, lyrics by Chris.

PostPosted: Tue January 31, 2017 12:55 am 
Banned from the Pit

fyfe79 wrote:

I was a little disappointed at the time too. But there is quite a lot of totally unreleased stuff left which gives hope to the possibility of them releasing an interesting compilation in the future. For example there are the following tracks: Ocean Fronts, No Shame, Beast, Summation, A Broom, Dirty Candy, Open Up, How Should I Know. There's also the 6 songs from the Bruce Pavitt demo tape - not to mention whatever is on their first demo tape. There's enough there to justify a separate release if Kim wants to. Maybe that was his plan the whole time - to release a b-sides comp (with a couple of unreleased gems to keep people happy), and then release the really rare shit down the line? I certainly hope so.

I would much rather hear all their unreleased studio songs than demos/rehearsals/alternative versions/remixes/remasters etc. Echo of Miles is a really good 3 disc set but if it needed to be 4 discs or 5 discs then they should have released it like that so as to include everything. Since Soundgarden have already released Echo of Miles I'm concerned about whether or not there will be another b-sides compilation. I certainly hope there will be because I will absolutely buy that, regardless of price.

PostPosted: Tue January 31, 2017 10:19 am 
AnalLog

not sure how to read those words by Kim.

I think if those songs he mentioned we're really complete works they would have been probably released on that 'echo of miles' boxset. We have not seen those songs on the reissues for Screaming Life, Ultramega OK, Badmotorfinger or Superunknown. I really hope that those are completed and just in need of mixing/mastering. But I'm afraid they are more instrumental jams or rough sketches. Which could be cool aswell.

PostPosted: Sun February 05, 2017 4:07 pm 
known prankster

the end sucks wrote:
VinylGuy wrote:

Ocean Fronts is an unreleased studio song from the DOTU era. I think it was mentioned on this thread a while back (or maybe another forum) that Ocean Fronts was listed on some Soundgarden related website in 1996 (probably an official Soundgarden website and/or the official A&M Records website) and the lyrics were posted. Since the lyrics were put on the internet in 1996 just prior to DOTU being released, it's fair to say that Ocean Fronts is a fully completed song. If you google search 'Soundgarden Ocean Fronts lyrics' you'll find the lyrics on many sites. Those lyrics sites state the music is by Kim, lyrics by Chris.

Was The Curse by Audioslave also originally intended for DOTU? I seem to remember the lyrics for that song floating around in the late 90s, long before Audioslave were even a band.

PostPosted: Mon February 06, 2017 1:52 am 
Banned from the Pit

lecherouslittlestump wrote:

Was The Curse by Audioslave also originally intended for DOTU? I seem to remember the lyrics for that song floating around in the late 90s, long before Audioslave were even a band.

I don't know anything about that. I did check a few Soundgarden sites on Waybackmachine - imusic.com/soundgarden and sgi.net/soundgarden - but I couldn't find anything about The Curse.

I guess we just have to play the waiting game for more unreleased studio songs. It would be helpful if some interviewer specifically asked someone in the band if there will be a deluxe edition of DOTU, but at the same time the band is probably primarily focused with the new album at the moment. I'm hoping Kim steps up with the new album and writes a lot of songs for it, as he didn't write that many for the last two albums.

PostPosted: Mon February 06, 2017 1:55 am 
Production Police

Had a thought today: apart from Jesus Christ Pose popping up on late night MTV occasionally, I had no awareness of Soundgarden until Black Hole Sun came out. But that was a fairly big departure for them, being an attempt at some more immediately radio-friendly. How did the longtime fans respond to that single? Did they love it, or think it was a sellout track?

PostPosted: Mon February 06, 2017 3:48 am 
Future Drummer

tragabigzanda wrote:
Had a thought today: apart from Jesus Christ Pose popping up on late night MTV occasionally, I had no awareness of Soundgarden until Black Hole Sun came out. But that was a fairly big departure for them, being an attempt at some more immediately radio-friendly. How did the longtime fans respond to that single? Did they love it, or think it was a sellout track?

People got sick of it really fast, like Jeremy, but the album was legend. It wasn't nearly as much of a depature as, say, the Metallica Black Album. I was more impressed by Down On The Upside even though it didn't have nearly as much exposure. I only remember seeing each single from that one once or twice on MTV. But it was enough to make me want to buy it.

PostPosted: Mon February 06, 2017 4:08 am 
Posting (live)

I wasn't a fan of their entire catalogue but BMF was huge for me. SUK was incredible when released however I grew tired of Black Hole Sun rather early on. My girlfriend liked it though so I got her into Soundgarden through that and Fell On Black Days.

Also, it wasn't too much of a surprise after Temple and the other side of Cornell.

Last edited by LetMeSleep on Mon February 06, 2017 4:43 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 4284 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 112, 113, 114, 115, 116, 117, 118 ... 215  Next

Board index » Word on the Street » Other Bands