The board's server will undergo upgrade maintenance tonight, Nov 5, 2014, beginning approximately around 10 PM ET. Prepare for some possible down time during this process.
FAQ    Search

Board index » Word on the Street » Other Bands

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 4284 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 132, 133, 134, 135, 136, 137, 138 ... 215  Next
 Post subject: Re: Total Fucking Godhead / The Soundgarden Thread
PostPosted: Fri May 19, 2017 8:39 am 
Future Drummer
 WWW  Profile

https://vnnmusick.wordpress.com/2017/05 ... s-cornell/

I wrote something with actual thought put into it here on my music blog thing. I've decided one article wasn't enough though, so I'll actually talk about Soundgarden's music in a second installment.

LetMeSleep wrote:
Ello Sailor wrote:
I just hope zeb is okay.

He's lost and baffled and in shock. Much like all of us. And the way this thread has gone is what drove him away from here (from what I have interpreted).

Zeb, wow, there's an old name I actually do recognize from way back on here.

PostPosted: Fri May 19, 2017 8:42 am 
The Master

God. Now I'm pissed too.

While king animal was a welcome return it felt rather safe. I was really looking forward to them hitting their stride.

I hope they got enough complete on the new album to release something.

Fuck

PostPosted: Fri May 19, 2017 8:45 am 
A Return To Form

Yesterday I struggled to listen to any CC related stuff-I'd listen for a bit and then turn off. Really went through the motions.

I listened to the first Audioslave album on the way into work this morning and cried a bit during I Am The Highway.

PostPosted: Fri May 19, 2017 8:57 am 
Banned from the Pit

some great thoughts here. i haven't spent much time here in recent years but i knew i could come around for some group therapy. this fucking sucks and it's going to be some time before any of us get over it i expect.

PostPosted: Fri May 19, 2017 9:04 am 
A Return To Form

likeatab wrote:
some great thoughts here. i haven't spent much time here in recent years but i knew i could come around for some group therapy. this fucking sucks and it's going to be some time before any of us get over it i expect.

True. I usually think of this site as a cynical cesspit, but yesterday I had to come back and seek some solace.

PostPosted: Fri May 19, 2017 11:19 am 
The Master

burl jam wrote:
likeatab wrote:

True. I usually think of this site as a cynical cesspit, but yesterday I had to come back and seek some solace.

Yeah, but it's our cynical cesspit.

PostPosted: Fri May 19, 2017 11:39 am 
what on earth am I talking about

Great read. Chris' quotes on Bowie are revealing.

PostPosted: Fri May 19, 2017 11:42 am 
10Club Complaint Department

http://variety.com/2017/music/news/chri ... 202436611/

Quote:
Chris Cornell’s family has issued a statement questioning the coroner’s report that the singer intentionally took his own life on Thursday.

“Without the results of toxicology tests, we do not know what was going on with Chris—or if any substances contributed to his demise,” the Cornell family said.

The 52 year-old Soundgarden frontman had a prescription for Ativan, the family said, and may have taken a higher dosage. Attorney Kirk Pasich noted that Ativan can cause paranoid or suicidal thoughts, slurred speech and impaired judgement.

Ativan is a tranquilizer and anti-anxiety medication that is sometimes used as a sleeping aid.

Vicky Cornell, the singer’s wife, added, “Chris’s death is a loss that escapes words and has created an emptiness in my heart that will never be filled. As everyone who knew him commented, Chris was a devoted father and husband.”

She said Cornell flew home from Soundgarden’s tour the weekend before to spend time with his wife and children, before returning to the mid-west.

Cornell was found dead in his hotel bathroom early Thursday in Detroit. Soundgarden had played a show just hours before at the Fox Theater.

His death was ruled a suicide by hanging by the local medical examiner, but Cornell’s family called the mentions of suicide “disturbing.”

“When we spoke after the show, I noticed he was slurring his words; he was different,” his wife added. “When he told me he may have taken an extra Ativan or two, I contacted security and asked that they check on him.”

She added: “What happened is inexplicable and I am hopeful that further medical reports will provide additional details. I know that he loved our children and he would not hurt them by intentionally taking his own life. The outpouring of love and support from his fans, friends and family means so much more to us than anyone can know. Thank you for that, and for understanding how difficult this is for us.”

PostPosted: Fri May 19, 2017 11:44 am 
what on earth am I talking about

I just can't get my head around the suicide aspect either. Just doesn't make sense. I think it's just press rushing to iudgmenet

PostPosted: Fri May 19, 2017 11:56 am 
The Master

Still even with a slight overdose of Ativan I can't imagine how one can make such a wild choice and kill themselves. Side effects don't work like that.

What is happening

PostPosted: Fri May 19, 2017 12:01 pm 
jeeeesus relax already

So sad.

PostPosted: Fri May 19, 2017 12:35 pm 
Broken Tamborine

Strat wrote:
Still even with a slight overdose of Ativan I can't imagine how one can make such a wild choice and kill themselves. Side effects don't work like that.

What is happening

I don't know Strat. In my late teen years I had some crazy family shit that I won't elaborate on that blew up my fucking world. Admittedly it sent me into a whirlwind of depression. I did seek some help for via both a therapist and a psychiatrist over several months was introduced to a few different medications including Wellbutrin. After about two weeks of taking Wellbutrin one day I started having extremely disturbing thoughts and urges that were that were basically telling me to kill myself and it scared the shit out of me. I recognized these thoughts as not in line with my normal train of thought and immediately refused to take them. Not saying the two situations are the same but just that I based on personal experiences, it is plausible.

PostPosted: Fri May 19, 2017 1:02 pm 
The Master

veddar10 wrote:
Strat wrote:

What is happening

I don't know Strat. In my late teen years I had some crazy family shit that I won't elaborate on that blew up my fucking world. Admittedly it sent me into a whirlwind of depression. I did seek some help for via both a therapist and a psychiatrist over several months was introduced to a few different medications including Wellbutrin. After about two weeks of taking Wellbutrin one day I started having extremely disturbing thoughts and urges that were that were basically telling me to kill myself and it scared the shit out of me. I recognized these thoughts as not in line with my normal train of thought and immediately refused to take them. Not saying the two situations are the same but just that I based on personal experiences, it is plausible.

Yea I knew better than to say such a thing.

Luckily I've never dealt with any major side effects from my meds.

PostPosted: Fri May 19, 2017 1:27 pm 
post-structuralist

Strat wrote:

What is happening

I have to disagree with you. my ex's step father had injured his back years ago and never completely recovered from it. I knew him for over 20 years. He's a great father and a quite happy person in general. he went to a new doctor for his back at some point and was given a different pain killer than previously. After less than a week, he was calling his wife from work telling her he was angry, upset and ready to die. He started screaming at her over the phone that he felt like he wanted to kill himself and didn't understand why he wanted to do this... needless to say, she talked him into coming home and they went directly to the doctor who took him off the medication. It took him another week or so if i remember correctly to start feeling better but in telling us about it, he was totally convinced while it was happening that the only possible solution was dying.
i don't think it possible to realistically determine how a drug will affect a specific metabolism, and it's stuck with me for over 10 years how intensely he described what happened to him.

Spoiler: show
people change. people stay the same. people are so often disappointing - random PM, person unnamed

PostPosted: Fri May 19, 2017 1:36 pm 
The Master

malice wrote:
Strat wrote:

What is happening

I have to disagree with you. my ex's step father had injured his back years ago and never completely recovered from it. I knew him for over 20 years. He's a great father and a quite happy person in general. he went to a new doctor for his back at some point and was given a different pain killer than previously. After less than a week, he was calling his wife from work telling her he was angry, upset and ready to die. He started screaming at her over the phone that he felt like he wanted to kill himself and didn't understand why he wanted to do this... needless to say, she talked him into coming home and they went directly to the doctor who took him off the medication. It took him another week or so if i remember correctly to start feeling better but in telling us about it, he was totally convinced while it was happening that the only possible solution was dying.
i don't think it possible to realistically determine how a drug will affect a specific metabolism, and it's stuck with me for over 10 years how intensely he described what happened to him.

That's awful.

Yea, see my above post. I totally get it. I've been on meds for 15 years and I'm lucky in that regard inguess

PostPosted: Fri May 19, 2017 1:37 pm 
Future Drummer

that's some scary food for thought :shock:

PostPosted: Fri May 19, 2017 1:39 pm 
Gone

Why was a recovering drug addict being prescribed a controlled substance to 'help him sleep'?

PostPosted: Fri May 19, 2017 1:41 pm 
NEVER STOP JAMMING!

verb_to_trust wrote:
Why was a recovering drug addict being prescribed a controlled substance to 'help him sleep'?

*liked*

PostPosted: Fri May 19, 2017 2:10 pm 
AnalLog

Not that it matters but Ativan is the only drug I've ever used for longer than a few weeks and I've had a prescription for almost 20 years now. Would be surprising to me that even in large doses it would cause suicidal thoughts. It really would just put you to sleep I think. But like's been said already, everybody responds to drugs differently.

PostPosted: Fri May 19, 2017 2:18 pm 
Gone

Sounds like he took more than the recommended dosage. Could complicate things.

Last edited by verb_to_trust on Fri May 19, 2017 2:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 4284 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 132, 133, 134, 135, 136, 137, 138 ... 215  Next

Board index » Word on the Street » Other Bands