The board's server will undergo upgrade maintenance tonight, Nov 5, 2014, beginning approximately around 10 PM ET. Prepare for some possible down time during this process.
FAQ    Search

Board index » Word on the Street » Other Bands

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 4284 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 106, 107, 108, 109, 110, 111, 112 ... 215  Next
 Post subject: Re: Total Fucking Godhead / The Soundgarden Thread
PostPosted: Sun December 04, 2016 6:31 pm 
AnalLog

tragabigzanda wrote:
VinylGuy wrote:
Dave Grohl directed that one.

Yeah, the demo is in the deluxe thing. There is a bunch of them, but my favorite one is Halfway There, the demo is this dark cool song while the studio version might be my least favorite SG song from all times. I hate it.

Oh I definitely need to hear that, I'll hunt it down. Yea, A Thousand Days Before and Halfway There are both really bad, I don't understand why they included them with an otherwise heavy and heady record.

trag u fool

PostPosted: Sun December 04, 2016 6:34 pm 
The Master

Do you actually like those songs?

PostPosted: Sun December 04, 2016 7:40 pm 
AnalLog

VinylGuy wrote:
Yeah, i really like KA too and think it suits better what i love about the band than Louder Than Love for example.

I've said this before but I'm a much, much bigger fan of early SG than almost anybody else I know. There's something dark, weird, and supremely unpredictable about their early material. The lyrics are completely off the wall and often undecipherable, the music is an unpredictable and weird mix of punk, blues and classic rock and Chris' vocals are just crazy at times. I find their metal phase that started to an extent with LTL and extended into BMF to be more predictable, and satisfying in a predictable way. I don't know if that makes sense.

I'll put it like this: when I'm listening to a show from 1989-1992, or even now, the most exciting moments to me are when they bust out something like "Nothing To Say", because of the primal energy that they unleash. And to that extent, I would rank Louder Than Love above Badmotorfinger because the opening trio of "Ugly Truth", "Hands All Over" and "Gun" is among the finest 15 minute stretches of music they ever created, and for me is exactly what I want out of Soundgarden far more than, say, "Outshined". The only thing on King Animal that hits that essential weirdness I love about early Soundgarden is "Attrition", which is fitting - even though Ben wrote it and he didn't join the band until 1990, he was also heavily inspired by early Soundgarden, and is by far the weirdest member of the band. That's why he fit in. If that makes sense.

PostPosted: Sun December 04, 2016 7:46 pm 
The Master

matt reeder wrote:
VinylGuy wrote:
Yeah, i really like KA too and think it suits better what i love about the band than Louder Than Love for example.

I've said this before but I'm a much, much bigger fan of early SG than almost anybody else I know. There's something dark, weird, and supremely unpredictable about their early material. The lyrics are completely off the wall and often undecipherable, the music is an unpredictable and weird mix of punk, blues and classic rock and Chris' vocals are just crazy at times. I find their metal phase that started to an extent with LTL and extended into BMF to be more predictable, and satisfying in a predictable way. I don't know if that makes sense.

I'll put it like this: when I'm listening to a show from 1989-1992, or even now, the most exciting moments to me are when they bust out something like "Nothing To Say", because of the primal energy that they unleash. And to that extent, I would rank Louder Than Love above Badmotorfinger because the opening trio of "Ugly Truth", "Hands All Over" and "Gun" is among the finest 15 minute stretches of music they ever created, and for me is exactly what I want out of Soundgarden far more than, say, "Outshined". The only thing on King Animal that hits that essential weirdness I love about early Soundgarden is "Attrition", which is fitting - even though Ben wrote it and he didn't join the band until 1990, he was also heavily inspired by early Soundgarden, and is by far the weirdest member of the band. That's why he fit in. If that makes sense.

Yea, makes total sense. Those early songs are awesome. Just wish they sounded better. My feelings on Fugazi are very similar.

PostPosted: Sun December 04, 2016 8:44 pm 
tl;dr

I have never enjoyed early Soundgarden more than I do now. I will happily go on record as loving the way "Ultramega OK" sounds and having absolutely zero interest in a remixed version.

I'm also right there with Matt in finding "BMF" to be the l low point of their original run -- it put me off going further back into their discography for a long time. Must be a Central Illinois thing.

PostPosted: Sun December 04, 2016 8:51 pm 
Future Drummer

I'm amazed that they didn't remix "Badmotorfinger". It sounds like it was recorded in an enormous bathroom with a tin can and string. It makes "Ten" sound professional.

PostPosted: Sun December 04, 2016 11:20 pm 
AnalLog

Wendy Carlos's Twin wrote:
I'm amazed that they didn't remix "Badmotorfinger". It sounds like it was recorded in an enormous bathroom with a tin can and string. It makes "Ten" sound professional.

Absolutely. The bluray version was remixed though and sounds somewhat promising. I'm hoping to find a rip of it somewhere so I can check it out on quality speakers instead of my shit TV speakers.

PostPosted: Sun December 04, 2016 11:40 pm 
jeeeesus relax already

matt reeder wrote:
VinylGuy wrote:

Oh yeah i love early SG too, Screaming Life and Ultramega Ok for sure...But i prefer KA to LTL i think, even if LTL have those three amazing songs you listed....Im just a really, really big fan of the Ben Shepherd period, specially SU and DOTU. Those two are masterpieces, and maybe my favorite albums from the 90s.

PostPosted: Mon December 05, 2016 12:28 am 
I've been POOSSTTIiiEEnngeeaahh

KA gives me fits when ranking because I love it but its hard to put it above the other albums.

PostPosted: Mon December 05, 2016 1:13 am 
AnalLog

tragabigzanda wrote:
Do you actually like those songs?

I like 1000 Days Before and I get what they're trying to do with Halfway There even though it doesn't really work. The demo is good, I agree.

PostPosted: Mon December 05, 2016 1:14 am 
AnalLog

Some of the 89-90 version of Ugly Truth are insane

PostPosted: Mon December 05, 2016 10:22 pm 
Champion of RM

Welcome to Rockville Festival - April 29 - Jacksonville, FL

PostPosted: Mon December 05, 2016 10:53 pm 
Mind Your Tanners

Quote:
Welcome to Rockville 4/29 & 4/30 -

Soundgarden
Def Leppard
A Perfect Circle
The Offspring
Mastodon
Chevelle
Papa Roach
Seether
Three Days Grace
Alter Bridge
The Pretty Reckless
Coheed & Cambria
Pierce The Veil
Amon Amarth
Eagles Of Death Metal + others

Fort Rock Sun 4/30 -

Soundgarden
A Perfect Circle
The Offspring
Mastodon
Highly Suspect
The Pretty Reckless
In Flames
Eagles Of Death Metal
All That Remains
Starset
I Prevail
Dinosaur Pile-Up
Goodbye June

Carolina Rebellion Fri 5/5 -

Soundgarden
A Perfect Circle
Mastodon
The Cult
Pierce The Veil
Opeth
Amon Amarth
Eagles Of Death Metal
Highly Suspect
Gojira
Nothing More
Every Time i Die
Starset
Radkey
Crobot
Volumes
Dorothy
As Lions
Wage War
Mother Feather
Thought that was probot for a second and was going to get excited for a second album.

PostPosted: Mon December 05, 2016 11:56 pm 
The Master

Man, Bones of Birds is growing on me really fast this week. I liked it from the get go, but now I love it.

And Taree is starting to become a non-skip for me too.

And re: Chris's voice on this record: He sounds terrific on Bones of Birds and Black Saturday (even if I don't love the latter). It's like he's got three registers now. His low register sounds awesome, possibly the best it ever has; his upper/scream register still sounds as great as it did back in the day. It's the middle stuff, like a lot of the verses on the harder songs on KA, where you can really hear the age.

PostPosted: Tue December 06, 2016 12:10 am 
jeeeesus relax already

i really like bones of birds...The first time i heard it it was like yeah, this is soundgarden...and the chorus is classic Cornell from 94-96. I love it.

PostPosted: Tue December 06, 2016 2:13 am 
AnalLog

tragabigzanda wrote:
Man, Bones of Birds is growing on me really fast this week. I liked it from the get go, but now I love it.

And re: Chris's voice on this record: He sounds terrific on Bones of Birds and Black Saturday (even if I don't love the latter). It's like he's got three registers now. His low register sounds awesome, possibly the best it ever has; his upper/scream register still sounds as great as it did back in the day. It's the middle stuff, like a lot of the verses on the harder songs on KA, where you can really hear the age.

His lower register really is at its best ever right now. Great example of this is the version of Misery Chain from Higher Truth, which is fucking ace. The verses of Taree have some great lower register action, too.

PostPosted: Tue December 06, 2016 2:25 am 
AnalLog

Revelator wrote:
tragabigzanda wrote:

His lower register really is at its best ever right now. Great example of this is the version of Misery Chain from Higher Truth, which is fucking ace. The verses of Taree have some great lower register action, too.

:thumbsup:

PostPosted: Tue December 06, 2016 5:30 am 
AnalLog

tragabigzanda wrote:
his upper/scream register still sounds as great as it did back in the day.

I'm not sure what you're smoking, but can I have some of it?

Chris sounds great for being 52 years old but he's never going to sound as good as he did from 1989-1994, and it isn't even close. He's a much better singer now than he was then, but he can't convincingly do things like "Birth Ritual" ever again.

PostPosted: Tue December 06, 2016 6:37 pm 
known prankster

tragabigzanda wrote:

It's why I love Taree. Love the crooning.

PostPosted: Tue December 06, 2016 6:55 pm 
The Master

matt reeder wrote:
tragabigzanda wrote:
his upper/scream register still sounds as great as it did back in the day.

I'm not sure what you're smoking, but can I have some of it?

Chris sounds great for being 52 years old but he's never going to sound as good as he did from 1989-1994, and it isn't even close. He's a much better singer now than he was then, but he can't convincingly do things like "Birth Ritual" ever again.

I guess yea, some of his scream from the older songs are tough for him to hit now. The point I was trying to make was that his screaming stuff on KA sounds awesome -- I suspect it's because he's singing in part of his register that he can still control really well. But sure, if he tries to hit some of the higher notes from the older stuff, his age would be obvious.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 4284 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 106, 107, 108, 109, 110, 111, 112 ... 215  Next

Board index » Word on the Street » Other Bands