The board's server will undergo upgrade maintenance tonight, Nov 5, 2014, beginning approximately around 10 PM ET. Prepare for some possible down time during this process.
FAQ    Search

Board index » Word on the Street » Other Bands

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 4284 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 134, 135, 136, 137, 138, 139, 140 ... 215  Next
 Post subject: Re: Total Fucking Godhead / The Soundgarden Thread
PostPosted: Fri May 19, 2017 5:04 pm 
Major Dude

tragabigzanda wrote:
bune wrote:
Moshimistic wrote:
A friend posted this quote today on Facebook:

"The so-called ‘psychotically depressed’ person who tries to kill herself doesn’t do so out of quote ‘hopelessness’ or any abstract conviction that life’s assets and debits do not square. And surely not because death seems suddenly appealing.

The person in whom Its invisible agony reaches a certain unendurable level will kill herself the same way a trapped person will eventually jump from the window of a burning high-rise. Make no mistake about people who leap from burning windows. Their terror of falling from a great height is still just as great as it would be for you or me standing speculatively at the same window just checking out the view; i.e. the fear of falling remains a constant.

The variable here is the other terror, the fire’s flames: when the flames get close enough, falling to death becomes the slightly less terrible of two terrors. It’s not desiring the fall; it’s terror of the flames. And yet nobody down on the sidewalk, looking up and yelling ‘Don’t!’ and ‘Hang on!’, can understand the jump. Not really. You’d have to have personally been trapped and felt flames to really understand a terror way beyond falling."
~ David Foster Wallace

So true. My wife has flirted with the idea of suicide - to the point of planning how I and my son would be taken care of after - because of the amount of constant pain she is in. When you're faced with that much pain for days or weeks of time, you look at suicide and say, "hey, that will only hurt for a moment."
meatwad wrote:
bune wrote:
PHATJ wrote:
bune wrote:
Most of what I've been thinking, especially with the suddenness of this, is that maybe it's like with Robin Williams.

Meaning what? Didn't Robin Williams have a debilitating disease that was becoming hard to function with normally?

Exactly that, yes.

Even so, hanging himself in his hotel room in the middle of a tour after a show seems out of character from those who knew him best.

Look I don't know Chris Cornell, but the person who I think he was based on "knowing" him through his music and message, interviews he's given, etc. just don't add up to this sort of sudden and shocking demise. I don't think there's any evidence of him having some sort of debilitating illness...he was an active 52-year-old by all accounts, played nonstop with his bands and continually created.

Even if there was some sort of illness, he seemed like the kind of guy who would have faced it with his family by his side. At least that's who I continue to believe he was. Kurt Cobain? Wasn't that surprising. The guy was a 27-year-old, anxiety-ridden junkie. Scott Weiland? Another junkie trainwreck. Same with Layne. That wasn't Chris Cornell, and his having lived through all the friends he lost, to come through on the other side with a wife and young kids that by all accounts he loved and adored, his band, the adulation and adoration of pretty much everyone...it all just makes this seem so implausible.

I've been thinking about the whole Phil Hartman situation again. This reminds me of that.

Phil Hartman was killed by his wife who was coked out of her mind.

There was a recent interview on Maron's podcast with a former SNL member (I think it was David Spade?). Whoever it was, they said they believed it was a combination of cocaine and prescription meds before bed that caused her to wake up in a fit of insanity.

And Hartmans friends believe that Andy Dick was the one that gave her the coke. Lovitz hates him to this day.

PostPosted: Fri May 19, 2017 5:09 pm 
Misplaced My Sponge

unless someone wants you to know the pain the are in or hide you will never have the slightest clue it exists. some people have really good poker faces

PostPosted: Fri May 19, 2017 5:11 pm 
Major Dude

verb_to_trust wrote:
Why was a recovering drug addict being prescribed a controlled substance to 'help him sleep'?

The thing is, in most of these rehab programs, benzodiazepines can be used and patients aren't taken off those. It's pretty much just the narcotics that is seen as being the "bad" drugs. My brother in law went thru his program on Xanax and he still takes 4mg of it every day. And it's just as addictive and probably more dangerous than the opioids. You could absolutely die if you just stop a benzo cold turkey. It's much harder for our patients to stop benzos than pain meds.

PostPosted: Fri May 19, 2017 5:22 pm 
Gone

wease wrote:
verb_to_trust wrote:
Why was a recovering drug addict being prescribed a controlled substance to 'help him sleep'?

The thing is, in most of these rehab programs, benzodiazepines can be used and patients aren't taken off those. It's pretty much just the narcotics that is seen as being the "bad" drugs. My brother in law went thru his program on Xanax and he still takes 4mg of it every day. And it's just as addictive and probably more dangerous than the opioids. You could absolutely die if you just stop a benzo cold turkey. It's much harder for our patients to stop benzos than pain meds.

I was prescribed Xanax. Its complicated but the doctor knew I didn't really need it and probably wouldn't use it. I didnt fill it. Way too dangerous in my opinion.

PostPosted: Fri May 19, 2017 5:32 pm 
NEVER STOP JAMMING!

My wife's best friend pops xanax like candy. It's frightening.

PostPosted: Fri May 19, 2017 6:03 pm 
AnalLog

Ativan/Xanax are extremely addicting drugs. I've been terrified of becoming addicted from the day I got the first prescription. I take one 1/2MG pill on average every week or two. The dosage is for 4 pills a day. It can quickly spiral out of control as you become dependent on them.

Taking 2-4mg at a time can make you REALLY loopy. I had that dosage once in a hospital ER.

PostPosted: Fri May 19, 2017 6:07 pm 
Major Dude

We've had numerous patients come to our office as follow-up visits from the hospital for overdosing. EVERY one of them were taking extra prescription pills. All but one that I can think of were from benzos and the other from opioids.

PostPosted: Fri May 19, 2017 6:08 pm 
A Return To Form

The fact that an over-prescribed drug took him from us takes me from sad to really fucking angry.

There was a review of Detroit somewhere today that said he seemed off, irritable, distant. I listened to Atlanta from last week over the weekend and thought he seemed off too. It was odd because it wasnt the first show of the tour and he is so on, always. Never misses lyrics or pulls off early.

PostPosted: Fri May 19, 2017 6:10 pm 
AnalLog

given2fly23 wrote:
The fact that an over-prescribed drug took him from us takes me from sad to really fucking angry.

There was a review of Detroit somewhere today that said he seemed off, irritable, distant. I listened to Atlanta from last week over the weekend and thought he seemed off too. It was odd because it wasnt the first show of the tour and he is so on, always. Never misses lyrics or pulls off early.

FWIW it's a very helpful drug when not abused. It has gotten me through dozens of panic attacks over the years. I can think of no downside to the drug for me. When I take a pill I feel "normalized" vs. feeling like I'm on a drug. The only effect it's had on me negatively is it makes you tired. But again, I only take .5mg.

PostPosted: Fri May 19, 2017 6:12 pm 
NEVER STOP JAMMING!

given2fly23 wrote:

This.

I'm not gonna play armchair psychiatrist or mental health doctor. I don't want to pretend I know the anxiety and depression that Chris dealt with that led him to a prescription of meds. But it blends into an area of concern and anger that I have towards the rampant prescriptions of these drugs. My wife's entire family (minus her dad) is on completely unnecessary pills, and the doctors just keep boosting their dosage. It's fucking insane. Money in their pockets at a large cost.

Fuck man, now I'm just pissed.

edit: read g2t's post above mine. i'm fully aware that drugs are prescribed for very serious and for very good reasons. and i'm not saying Chris didn't fall into that category. i'm just angry at the unnecessary rampant use of them, and subsequently, the abuse bc they are so readily available.

PostPosted: Fri May 19, 2017 6:15 pm 
A Return To Form

given2trade wrote:
FWIW it's a very helpful drug when not abused. It has gotten me through dozens of panic attacks over the years. I can think of no downside to the drug for me. When I take a pill I feel "normalized" vs. feeling like I'm on a drug. The only effect it's had on me negatively is it makes you tired. But again, I only take .5mg.

I appreciate that, but to think that you (clearly a person with self-control) take 1/8 of the recommended dosage is so fucked up.

I'm not speaking from experience or judging anyone, other than the industry. Hope nobody thinks that.

PostPosted: Fri May 19, 2017 6:18 pm 
A Return To Form

bodysnatcher wrote:
given2fly23 wrote:

This.

I'm not gonna play armchair psychiatrist or mental health doctor. I don't want to pretend I know the anxiety and depression that Chris dealt with that led him to a prescription of meds. But it blends into an area of concern and anger that I have towards the rampant prescriptions of these drugs. My wife's entire family (minus her dad) is on completely unnecessary pills, and the doctors just keep boosting their dosage. It's fucking insane. Money in their pockets at a large cost.

edit: read g2t's post above mine. i'm fully aware that drugs are prescribed for very serious and for very good reasons. and i'm not saying Chris didn't fall into that category. i'm just angry at the unnecessary rampant use of them, and subsequently, the abuse bc they are so readily available.

Exactly. Yesterday all the posts were about suicide prevention, but what we need to be talking about is THIS apparently.

Fuck! Such an unnecessary loss.

PostPosted: Fri May 19, 2017 6:26 pm 
Production Police

wease wrote:
tragabigzanda wrote:
bune wrote:
Moshimistic wrote:

"The so-called ‘psychotically depressed’ person who tries to kill herself doesn’t do so out of quote ‘hopelessness’ or any abstract conviction that life’s assets and debits do not square. And surely not because death seems suddenly appealing.

The person in whom Its invisible agony reaches a certain unendurable level will kill herself the same way a trapped person will eventually jump from the window of a burning high-rise. Make no mistake about people who leap from burning windows. Their terror of falling from a great height is still just as great as it would be for you or me standing speculatively at the same window just checking out the view; i.e. the fear of falling remains a constant.

The variable here is the other terror, the fire’s flames: when the flames get close enough, falling to death becomes the slightly less terrible of two terrors. It’s not desiring the fall; it’s terror of the flames. And yet nobody down on the sidewalk, looking up and yelling ‘Don’t!’ and ‘Hang on!’, can understand the jump. Not really. You’d have to have personally been trapped and felt flames to really understand a terror way beyond falling."
~ David Foster Wallace

So true. My wife has flirted with the idea of suicide - to the point of planning how I and my son would be taken care of after - because of the amount of constant pain she is in. When you're faced with that much pain for days or weeks of time, you look at suicide and say, "hey, that will only hurt for a moment."
meatwad wrote:
bune wrote:
PHATJ wrote:
bune wrote:
Most of what I've been thinking, especially with the suddenness of this, is that maybe it's like with Robin Williams.

Meaning what? Didn't Robin Williams have a debilitating disease that was becoming hard to function with normally?

Exactly that, yes.

Even so, hanging himself in his hotel room in the middle of a tour after a show seems out of character from those who knew him best.

Look I don't know Chris Cornell, but the person who I think he was based on "knowing" him through his music and message, interviews he's given, etc. just don't add up to this sort of sudden and shocking demise. I don't think there's any evidence of him having some sort of debilitating illness...he was an active 52-year-old by all accounts, played nonstop with his bands and continually created.

Even if there was some sort of illness, he seemed like the kind of guy who would have faced it with his family by his side. At least that's who I continue to believe he was. Kurt Cobain? Wasn't that surprising. The guy was a 27-year-old, anxiety-ridden junkie. Scott Weiland? Another junkie trainwreck. Same with Layne. That wasn't Chris Cornell, and his having lived through all the friends he lost, to come through on the other side with a wife and young kids that by all accounts he loved and adored, his band, the adulation and adoration of pretty much everyone...it all just makes this seem so implausible.

I've been thinking about the whole Phil Hartman situation again. This reminds me of that.

There was a recent interview on Maron's podcast with a former SNL member (I think it was David Spade?). Whoever it was, they said they believed it was a combination of cocaine and prescription meds before bed that caused her to wake up in a fit of insanity.

And Hartmans friends believe that Andy Dick was the one that gave her the coke. Lovitz hates him to this day.

Whoa! News to me, and I'm a junkie for all things SNL. I already hated Andy Dick, but now I do even more.

PostPosted: Fri May 19, 2017 6:33 pm 
Major Dude

tragabigzanda wrote:
wease wrote:
tragabigzanda wrote:
bune wrote:
Moshimistic wrote:

~ David Foster Wallace

meatwad wrote:
bune wrote:
PHATJ wrote:
bune wrote:

Exactly that, yes.

Whoa! News to me, and I'm a junkie for all things SNL. I already hated Andy Dick, but now I do even more.

Thereve been a few physical altercations between them. If you can imagine that.

PostPosted: Fri May 19, 2017 6:40 pm 
NEVER STOP JAMMING!

Soundgarden

All posts by this account, even those referencing real things, are entirely fictional and are for entertainment purposes only; i.e. very low-quality entertainment. These may contain coarse language and due to their content should not be viewed by anyone

PostPosted: Fri May 19, 2017 6:52 pm 
A Return To Form

Ativan:

Call your doctor at once if you have:

severe drowsiness;
thoughts of suicide or hurting yourself;
unusual changes in mood or behavior;
confusion, aggression, hallucinations;
worsened sleep problems;
sudden restless feeling or excitement;
muscle weakness, drooping eyelids, trouble swallowing;
vision changes; or
upper stomach pain, dark urine, jaundice (yellowing of the skin or eyes).

Common Ativan side effects may include:

dizziness, drowsiness;
weakness;
slurred speech, lack of balance or coordination;
memory problems; or
feeling unsteady.

PostPosted: Fri May 19, 2017 6:55 pm 
NEVER STOP JAMMING!

given2fly23 wrote:
bodysnatcher wrote:
given2fly23 wrote:

This.

Exactly. Yesterday all the posts were about suicide prevention, but what we need to be talking about is THIS apparently.

Fuck! Such an unnecessary loss.

Watches drug commercial: "Wow, that man enjoys his family while on those drugs. I want to enjoy my family too. Some of those symptoms sound exactly like mine. Not all of them, but some of them. I'm going to ask my doctor if I can get this."

PostPosted: Fri May 19, 2017 7:32 pm 
AnalLog

Kinda wish we'd get a statement from the band, or Pearl Jam. I know their hurt is immensely greater than ours, but it feels like it would be comforting to hear from them, to know on some level that they're OK.

PostPosted: Fri May 19, 2017 7:37 pm 
Rank This Poster

bodysnatcher wrote:
given2fly23 wrote:

This.

PostPosted: Fri May 19, 2017 7:42 pm 
AnalLog

Listened to BMF > Superunknown > DOTUS last night. Very intense and so, so great. Fuck, it sucks he's gone. Still can't think of much else today.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 4284 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 134, 135, 136, 137, 138, 139, 140 ... 215  Next

Board index » Word on the Street » Other Bands