The board's server will undergo upgrade maintenance tonight, Nov 5, 2014, beginning approximately around 10 PM ET. Prepare for some possible down time during this process.
FAQ    Search

Board index » Word on the Street » Other Bands

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 4284 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 107, 108, 109, 110, 111, 112, 113 ... 215  Next
 Post subject: Re: Total Fucking Godhead / The Soundgarden Thread
PostPosted: Tue December 06, 2016 10:30 pm 
AnalLog

tragabigzanda wrote:
matt reeder wrote:
tragabigzanda wrote:
his upper/scream register still sounds as great as it did back in the day.

I'm not sure what you're smoking, but can I have some of it?

Chris sounds great for being 52 years old but he's never going to sound as good as he did from 1989-1994, and it isn't even close. He's a much better singer now than he was then, but he can't convincingly do things like "Birth Ritual" ever again.

I guess yea, some of his scream from the older songs are tough for him to hit now. The point I was trying to make was that his screaming stuff on KA sounds awesome -- I suspect it's because he's singing in part of his register that he can still control really well. But sure, if he tries to hit some of the higher notes from the older stuff, his age would be obvious.

I mostly listen to live stuff. He can still hit the notes most of the time but without most of the power he had back in the day. He's faring better than EV but it's still hard to listen to sometimes if you aren't expecting it. But then again, some of that material is among the hardest to sing that anybody's ever written (like "Pretty Noose", for example).

PostPosted: Wed December 07, 2016 1:22 am 
jeeeesus relax already

I really dont like his voice in 1989 or 1990 maybe because his higher notes, its like its fuckin ronnie james dio or coverdale. I loved what he did in 1994 and 1996. And specially, 1999 with EM.

And yes, he is great nowadays...i might say since he broke up Audioslave.

PostPosted: Wed December 07, 2016 2:48 am 
10Club Complaint Department

VinylGuy wrote:
I really dont like his voice in 1989 or 1990 maybe because his higher notes, its like its fuckin ronnie james dio or coverdale. I loved what he did in 1994 and 1996. And specially, 1999 with EM.

And yes, he is great nowadays...i might say since he broke up Audioslave.

:thumbsup:

PostPosted: Thu December 08, 2016 11:57 pm 
Champion of RM

Cornell confirmed 2017 album and tour!

PostPosted: Fri December 09, 2016 12:03 am 
Future Drummer

Howard Kaylan from The Turtles/Mothers Of Invention appears to be a Soundgarden fanatic. He's always posting about how great they are and how Cornell is "the best singer ever". That's high praise!

PostPosted: Fri December 09, 2016 12:37 am 
AnalLog

CopperTom wrote:
Cornell confirmed 2017 album and tour!

:thumbsup:

PostPosted: Fri December 09, 2016 1:30 am 
Production Police

Wendy Carlos's Twin wrote:
Howard Kaylan from The Turtles/Mothers Of Invention appears to be a Soundgarden fanatic. He's always posting about how great they are and how Cornell is "the best singer ever". That's high praise!

The Flo & Eddie era is the best Zappa era.

PostPosted: Fri December 09, 2016 4:48 am 
Future Drummer

tragabigzanda wrote:
Wendy Carlos's Twin wrote:

The Flo & Eddie era is the best Zappa era.

I'm actually listening to Road Tapes #3 right now. I'm going through all of the new Zappa releases finally...there's like 6 of them.

PostPosted: Fri December 09, 2016 5:09 am 
Production Police

Ok. Have taken a lot of time with King Animal lately -- over the last 3-4 weeks, have probably put in a good 6-7 hours of listening.

Been Away Too Long 4/5
On paper, it could be embarrassing: the boys get back together, and make a song about getting back together. But it rocks. It reminds me a lot of Dumb Love, the lead track on STP's Shangri-La Dee Da: an intro track that attempts an unabashedly modern radio update of their stock in trade. And the bridge on this one slays, a mini-epic in its own right.

Non-State Actor 5/5
From the very first note, this song is just sick. If you can't feel it, I don't know what's wrong with you. And those "EVERYTHIIIIIIIIIING!" screams are amazing.

By Crooked Steps 5/5
The tripped-out intro into the relentless punch-to-the-face that is the song's main riff. It wasn't as immediately enjoyable to me as Non-State Actor, but its excellence has revealed itself over time.

A Thousand Days Before 2/5
I appreciate the effort at a new sound for Soundgarden, but it falls flat. It's the first of several songs that sounds like a Cornell solo tune.

Blood on the Valley Floor 3/5
It's one of two "meh" songs on the record. It's Soundgarden by-the-numbers. They've done it better before.

Bones of Birds 5/5
This is my current favorite. Headphones really opened it up for me. Chris sounds fantastic. Even better are the spacey guitars on the chorus, backed by Ben's weird little hammer-on/pull-off on the fourth measure. And the whole chord progression here is just packed with emotion. So odd and pretty. Quite possibly one of my top five favorite Soundgarden songs ever.

Taree 3/5
This is my other "meh" song on the record. Chris sounds great on the verses. It's sort of a cool song. Could take it or leave it. Helps the flow of the album, I suppose.

Attrition 5/5
This is such a fun song. If you love Soundgarden's fast, punky numbers from Superunknown and DOTU as much as I do, you'll love this. Those Simon & Garfunkel/Byrds "ooh-oohs" at the end, under the "What you gonna do about it, take it punch line right" are killer shit.

Black Saturday 4/5
I had a real tough time with the beginning of this song -- it struck me as derivative of a number of other popular songs by classic rock artists, most notably "Dancing Days" by Zep and "Pretty Penny" by STP...

But the bridge is so marvelous. It elevates the song from a 3 to a 4, I think.

Halfway There 3/5
And from here on out, the band is now in the same sort of waters as Pearl Jam at the end of Lightning Bolt. Sounds like another Cornell solo tune. I think the underlying composition is actually pretty good, I just don't think it's a great look for Soundgarden. The "whoo-oo-oo-oo-ooooooo" over the last notes are awful. I don't ever want to hear that sound on a Soundgarden record.

Worse Dreams 2/5
Ugh. It goes from sort of a fun, if obvious, bass riff into a total whank-off. There are some cool little parts throughout, but they're trying too hard here to sound like good 'ole Soundgarden. Just feels tired.

Eyelids Mouth 2/5
That whole "Who let the water run dry? / Who let the river run dry?" part is embarrassing. I wouldn't want my wife to catch me listening to this song because I'd feel like a loser.

Rowing 3/5
I think the underlying composition on this is really good. If this were done by, say, Ben Harper and the Blind Boys of Alabama, this song could really work. And I love the band's approach to the music...

But the lyrics as sung by Cornell are awful. "Living is breathing, and moving is doing" (or whatever the hell he's saying here) sound real dumb coming out of his mouth, and the outro isn't as epic as they want me to think it is.

Last edited by tragabigzanda on Fri December 09, 2016 3:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Fri December 09, 2016 3:24 pm 
I've been POOSSTTIiiEEnngeeaahh

One day you are gonna be super embarrassed about that A Thousand Days Before grade.

PostPosted: Fri December 09, 2016 3:35 pm 
Fake NYC Setlist Relayer

Sounds like a Cornell solo tune? Wow. This song's a giant. Don't get that comparison at all.

PostPosted: Fri December 09, 2016 5:06 pm 
Production Police

bada wrote:
One day you are gonna be super embarrassed about that A Thousand Days Before grade.

It could happen. It's happened before. But I doubt it. Tell you what: if I ever do an about-face on this song, I give Ruddo's dog permission to tear me limb from limb.

PostPosted: Fri December 09, 2016 8:35 pm 
10Club Complaint Department

tragabigzanda wrote:
It's one of two "meh" songs on the record. It's Soundgarden by-the-numbers. They've done it better before.

Taree 3/5
This is my other "meh" song on the record. Chris sounds great on the verses. It's sort of a cool song. Could take it or leave it. Helps the flow of the album, I suppose.

:shake:

These are probably the two best songs on the album for me.

I also think By Crooked Steps is one of the weakest, so take that as you will.

PostPosted: Fri December 09, 2016 10:47 pm 
AnalLog

Birds in Hell wrote:
tragabigzanda wrote:

Taree 3/5

I LOOOOOVVVVVVVEEEEEEE "Blood on the Valley Floor". "Taree" too. But my least favorite song on the album is "Non-State Actor", so what do I know?

PostPosted: Fri December 09, 2016 11:39 pm 
jeeeesus relax already

Lets do this, as KA is a regular album on my list these days;

Been Away Too Long 4/5:
Who know i was going to love this one so bad? i kinda hated it when it came out and now it feels so cool. Not only the bridge, which is amazing, but the guitars and Chris delivery. And i love the lyrics too, specially tied with Boot Camp as the other side of this...the chorus is great, the "I only ever really wanted a break I’ve been away for too long though I never really wanted to stay" is brilliant and feels like Chris 's other classic output in SG.

Non State Actor 4/5:
Another one that grew with time..i love chris vocals, but i really really love Matt and Ben here. And i specially adore that little solo Kim does near the end, its so cool....

By Crooked Steps 5/5:
An early favorite..and it stays as one. The rhythm section is superb. I love the lyrics, cornell's delivery and the bridge is fucking soulful. Amazing song.

A Thousand Days Before 5/5:
I used to skip this one when KA came out, i thought it was bland and not that heavy, and it has grow as one of the best compositions they have. Not only the guitars are great, but i also love Matt performance as well. And i love the lyrics these days, they are really fine.

Blood On The Valley Floor 4/5:
This one had dropped a little, maybe because of its lyrics...i dont know. Its a beast, Kim and Ben at their finest with some really cool Cornell vocals...it's so heavy and at the same time so groovy.

Bones Of Birds 5/5:
Another instant classic to me. Cornell is back at 1994 mode with his vocals here, the Hey! part in the chorus is classic SG. Everyone shines here, from Matt cool as fuck performance to Ben's intro and outtro and Kim's spacey guitars. There are some moments where it feels like SG meets Alice In Chains.
The lyrics are great.

Taree 3/5:
I still dont get this one. It might be my least favorite Ben song in his catalogue. Its a mid tempo, kinda bluesy kinda heavy one and i should love it and yet feels so disconnected to me i dont need to liste to it at all.

Attrition 5/5:
Motherfucker yeah. Ben Shepherd at his finest. Everything is cool here, from Kim's punk delivery to Chris and Ben's deadpan vocals..and those background vocals? Gold. And the lyrics are amazing...that chorus!!

Black Saturday 3/5:
I appreciate what they are trying to do here...its a really loose song, with a very cool delivery from Chris and a particular great and jazzy performance from Matt...and there is something missing. Im not sure what...maybe it need to be more heavy? The bridge is great though.

Halfway There 2/5:
Worst SG song ever? Maybe. Its not a bad song, but its not sg. Its a Chris's Carry On B Side. The production is horrible, the band doesnt sound like SG, Kim is bored as fuck...a shame, because the demo had potential.

Worse Dreams 3/5:
Another one that should have been better...the demo is fuckin rad!! the guitars sound so weird here, its like they lost the power they have in the demo version...Chris sounds great, Matt sounds great...but its too fuckin poppy. I wonder what happen from the demo to here. Still, there are good things too, specially in the outtro, which goes full SG at the end.

Eyelid's Mouth 4/5:
Man, i just love this one. The lyrics are cheesy? i dont care, they sound really cool... Ben lines are massive, and Mike fuckin Mccready is here. The only complaint i have is the fade. WHAT THE FUCK? you have these guys going crazy and you fade?? Weird choice...those guitars at the end are badass.

Rowing 4/5:
Oh fuck yeah. Ben again, is the mvp of the song. I agree that it needs to be more epic, that needs another kind of solo from Kim, but still this is a really cool end. I do like the lyrics, even if they are pretty direct, they still feel badass to me. And Cornell's delivery is pretty cool too...but again, Ben Shepherd everyone.

PostPosted: Sat December 10, 2016 1:22 am 
I've been POOSSTTIiiEEnngeeaahh

Been Away Too Long 2/5
Non State Actor 4/5
By Crooked Steps 4/5
A Thousand Days Before 5/5
Blood On The Valley Floor 4/5
Bones Of Birds 5/5
Taree 3/5
Attrition 3/5
Black Saturday 2/5
Halfway There 3/5
Worse Dreams 4/5
Eyelid's Mouth 2/5
Rowing 5/5

PostPosted: Sat December 10, 2016 4:31 am 
AnalLog

Rowing's great to crank every now and then. What a catalogue this band has.

PostPosted: Sat December 10, 2016 4:53 pm 
Production Police

matt reeder wrote:
Birds in Hell wrote:
tragabigzanda wrote:

Taree 3/5

I LOOOOOVVVVVVVEEEEEEE "Blood on the Valley Floor". "Taree" too. But my least favorite song on the album is "Non-State Actor", so what do I know?

Crazy talk, reeder.

PostPosted: Sat December 10, 2016 4:54 pm 
Production Police

VinylGuy wrote:
Halfway There 2/5:
Worst SG song ever? Maybe. Its not a bad song, but its not sg. Its a Chris's Carry On B Side. The production is horrible, the band doesnt sound like SG, Kim is bored as fuck...a shame, because the demo had potential.

Yea, the production on that one is awful.

PostPosted: Sat December 10, 2016 4:56 pm 
Production Police

Looks like Bones of Birds is unanimously loved, while I'm the only guy to dislike A Thousand Days Before.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 4284 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 107, 108, 109, 110, 111, 112, 113 ... 215  Next

Board index » Word on the Street » Other Bands