The board's server will undergo upgrade maintenance tonight, Nov 5, 2014, beginning approximately around 10 PM ET. Prepare for some possible down time during this process.
FAQ    Search

Board index » Word on the Street » Other Bands




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 71 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Author Message
 Post subject: Steve Albini fans
PostPosted: Thu December 19, 2013 4:39 pm 
Offline
User avatar
what on earth am I talking about
 Profile

Joined: Wed January 02, 2013 12:35 am
Posts: 33591
OK, so this is a thinly veiled trick in to watching a lovely 70 minute video of the making of Magnolia Electric Company’s Josephine and spreading some more Molina love… But it is the best video I’ve seen of Albini’s working methods. More time spent talking to him than to Molina himself.

Good watch this.



Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Steve Albini fans
PostPosted: Thu December 19, 2013 5:56 pm 
Offline
User avatar
I Have A Third Nipple
 Profile

Joined: Tue January 01, 2013 7:41 am
Posts: 19877
Location: Cumberland, RI
I wish such a video existed for the Magnolia Electric Co. sessions.

_________________
McParadigm wrote:
lol


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Steve Albini fans
PostPosted: Thu December 19, 2013 6:01 pm 
Offline
User avatar
I Have A Third Nipple
 Profile

Joined: Tue January 01, 2013 7:41 am
Posts: 19877
Location: Cumberland, RI
Also, there are plenty of us here who loved Jason and continue to love his music; join us! viewtopic.php?f=6&t=494

_________________
McParadigm wrote:
lol


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Steve Albini fans
PostPosted: Fri December 20, 2013 4:09 pm 
Offline
User avatar
likes rhythmic things that butt up against each other
 Profile

Joined: Tue January 01, 2013 8:42 pm
Posts: 693
Location: Denver
I'll try to get this watched tonight. Anyone who brought forth the Pixies is good in my eyes. Plus PJ Harvey, Nirvana, Molina, Oldham. He's so well known for the Pixies/Nirvana alternative "loud/quiet" outburst in the early 90's, but looking through his work he's been much more diverse than that.

Isn't he kind of an ass, though? No anecdotal evidence, just vaguely remembering some bitching of his.


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Steve Albini fans
PostPosted: Fri December 20, 2013 6:01 pm 
Offline
User avatar
I've been POOSSTTIiiEEnngeeaahh
 Profile

Joined: Fri August 16, 2013 6:36 pm
Posts: 10506
http://flavorwire.com/200540/steve-albini-meets-attacks-odd-future/


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Steve Albini fans
PostPosted: Fri December 20, 2013 6:50 pm 
Offline
User avatar
Future Drummer
 Profile

Joined: Tue January 01, 2013 7:47 pm
Posts: 2241
Gods' Die wrote:
I'll try to get this watched tonight. Anyone who brought forth the Pixies is good in my eyes. Plus PJ Harvey, Nirvana, Molina, Oldham. He's so well known for the Pixies/Nirvana alternative "loud/quiet" outburst in the early 90's, but looking through his work he's been much more diverse than that.

Isn't he kind of an ass, though? No anecdotal evidence, just vaguely remembering some bitching of his.


Nah, he's actually a nice guy. He just doesn't suffer fools lightly.

_________________
David Yow wrote:
How are Pearl Jam any different from Toto?


Have you considered stacking papers and getting paid?


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Steve Albini fans
PostPosted: Fri December 20, 2013 6:54 pm 
Offline
User avatar
Rank This Poster
 Profile

Joined: Wed January 02, 2013 2:21 am
Posts: 3885
super nintendo chalmers wrote:
He just doesn't suffer fools lightly.
Isn't that pretty much the definition of an ass. The the "I'll only be nice to people I think are worthy because I'm quite possibly better than you" line of thinking.

_________________
Think I’m going to try being kind to everyone a chance.


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Steve Albini fans
PostPosted: Fri December 20, 2013 7:27 pm 
Offline
User avatar
Future Drummer
 Profile

Joined: Tue January 01, 2013 7:47 pm
Posts: 2241
surfndestroy wrote:
super nintendo chalmers wrote:
He just doesn't suffer fools lightly.
Isn't that pretty much the definition of an ass. The the "I'll only be nice to people I think are worthy because I'm quite possibly better than you" line of thinking.


No, I don't think its an arrogance thing. I found him to be very approachable after a Shelallc gig way back when.

_________________
David Yow wrote:
How are Pearl Jam any different from Toto?


Have you considered stacking papers and getting paid?


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Steve Albini fans
PostPosted: Fri December 20, 2013 7:47 pm 
Offline
User avatar
I've been POOSSTTIiiEEnngeeaahh
 Profile

Joined: Fri August 16, 2013 6:36 pm
Posts: 10506
super nintendo chalmers wrote:
surfndestroy wrote:
super nintendo chalmers wrote:
He just doesn't suffer fools lightly.
Isn't that pretty much the definition of an ass. The the "I'll only be nice to people I think are worthy because I'm quite possibly better than you" line of thinking.


No, I don't think its an arrogance thing. I found him to be very approachable after a Shelallc gig way back when.

do you have any more shellac stories?


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Steve Albini fans
PostPosted: Fri December 20, 2013 7:49 pm 
Offline
User avatar
Future Drummer
 Profile

Joined: Tue January 01, 2013 7:47 pm
Posts: 2241
Alex wrote:
super nintendo chalmers wrote:
surfndestroy wrote:
super nintendo chalmers wrote:
He just doesn't suffer fools lightly.
Isn't that pretty much the definition of an ass. The the "I'll only be nice to people I think are worthy because I'm quite possibly better than you" line of thinking.


No, I don't think its an arrogance thing. I found him to be very approachable after a Shelallc gig way back when.

do you have any more shellac stories?


Never a bad show. Witnessing Todd beat the shit out of his drums is well worth the price of admission. Think I've seen them about three times, first time Uzeda opened which was just bitchin'. The last time, two geeks got into a shoving matching after the show, that was pretty funny.

If you ever get a chance, go.

_________________
David Yow wrote:
How are Pearl Jam any different from Toto?


Have you considered stacking papers and getting paid?


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Steve Albini fans
PostPosted: Fri December 20, 2013 8:57 pm 
Offline
User avatar
$5 Donation Gets Custom Title
 Profile

Joined: Tue January 01, 2013 10:43 am
Posts: 5185
Shellac shows are legit.


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Steve Albini fans
PostPosted: Fri December 20, 2013 9:03 pm 
Offline
User avatar
Looks Like a Cat
 Profile

Joined: Tue January 01, 2013 9:38 pm
Posts: 14573
zeb wrote:
Shellac shows are legit.

Truth.


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Steve Albini fans
PostPosted: Sat December 21, 2013 5:41 pm 
Offline
User avatar
AnalLog
 Profile

Joined: Wed January 02, 2013 4:57 am
Posts: 1516
yes

_________________
Dev wrote:
Thanks, for saying something terrible.


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Steve Albini fans
PostPosted: Sat December 21, 2013 7:08 pm 
Offline
User avatar
Future Drummer
 Profile

Joined: Tue January 01, 2013 7:47 pm
Posts: 2241
We should probably just change this to the Shellac thread, but anyway, remember that compilation someone made of Fugazi stage banter? Some genius made one of the Shellac Q+A sessions they do during their shows.

Image

_________________
David Yow wrote:
How are Pearl Jam any different from Toto?


Have you considered stacking papers and getting paid?


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Steve Albini fans
PostPosted: Fri August 01, 2014 5:53 am 
Offline
User avatar
$5 Donation Gets Custom Title
 Profile

Joined: Tue January 01, 2013 10:43 am
Posts: 5185
http://pitchfork.com/features/staff-lis ... ve-albini/

I enjoyed skimming through this and will read more closely over the weekend.


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Steve Albini fans
PostPosted: Fri August 01, 2014 10:17 pm 
Offline
User avatar
Future Drummer
 Profile

Joined: Tue January 01, 2013 7:47 pm
Posts: 2241

_________________
David Yow wrote:
How are Pearl Jam any different from Toto?


Have you considered stacking papers and getting paid?


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Steve Albini fans
PostPosted: Sat August 02, 2014 4:21 am 
Offline
User avatar
The Master
 Profile

Joined: Sun May 25, 2014 9:32 pm
Posts: 45317
Location: Garbage Dump
Steve Albini is responsible for some of the best-produced albums ever.

Seamonsters by The Wedding Present
In Utero by Nirvana
Blessed Black Wings by High on Fire

Yeah, I fucking love this guy. And I don't think he's an ass at all; I always love hearing what he has to say. He's a very sharp, insightful dude.

_________________
dimejinky99 wrote:
Take that post and push it off a bridge.


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Steve Albini fans
PostPosted: Sat August 02, 2014 4:26 am 
Offline
User avatar
AnalLog
 Profile

Joined: Wed January 02, 2013 4:57 am
Posts: 1516
snc, did you ever come in for those shellac anniversary shows?

_________________
Dev wrote:
Thanks, for saying something terrible.


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Steve Albini fans
PostPosted: Sat August 02, 2014 7:22 am 
Offline
A Return To Form
 Profile

Joined: Sat January 05, 2013 9:54 am
Posts: 179
Mclusky yo.

And low.

That alone would be helluva resume, the abbreviated resume also wouldn't include razor blade suitcase.


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Steve Albini fans
PostPosted: Sat August 02, 2014 9:10 pm 
Offline
User avatar
Future Drummer
 Profile

Joined: Tue January 01, 2013 7:47 pm
Posts: 2241
Malloy wrote:
snc, did you ever come in for those shellac anniversary shows?


Naah, I still have yet to visit Chicago. One of these days though...

Here is a really good interview with the man himself from just the other week. You can listen here.

_________________
David Yow wrote:
How are Pearl Jam any different from Toto?


Have you considered stacking papers and getting paid?


Top
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 71 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Board index » Word on the Street » Other Bands


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 11 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
It is currently Wed October 20, 2021 2:35 pm