Switch to full style
Other than Pearl Jam, who else is there?
Post a reply

Re: A Farewell Transmission / The Jason Molina Thread

Mon January 06, 2020 1:30 am

The Lioness is the one

Mon January 06, 2020 2:56 am

Great bump.

This should ship to me this week:

:nice:

Mon January 06, 2020 4:11 am

I've always had an awareness of Jason's music but on a recent long run I played the This Is playlist for Songs:Ohia on Spotify and it really hit me in a deep way. Now I've been going back through the catalog and really trying to let it wash over me. I'm starting with Songs:Ohia releases and then branching out. There's too much to really go about this in an organized way. Im scheduled for shoulder surgery in a few weeks and plan on doing a lot of listening while I'm off work (though I have no idea how I'm going to play records with one arm and not grease them up). By then, I might have some questions for you ST, as I can tell you are very passionate about this guys music.

Mon January 06, 2020 5:59 pm

Word. I won't reccomend anything, I think Molina's work is perfect for just swimming through. I remember the first thing I had was a split EP with My Morning Jacket (it's credited to S:O, but I believe it's a recording from The Amalgamated Sons of Rest sessions) and it took off from there.

The Lioness is certainly way, way up there.

Fri January 10, 2020 3:12 am

Someone posted the tracklist for the La Chapelle LP and I need a new pair of shorts. I am pretty sure that's Warren Zevon's Carmelita. 31 Seasons is such an amazing deep cut. Hold On is one of my favorite songs period. Someone hold me.

A1 East St. Louis Blues
A2 Trouble In Mind
A3 31 Seasons In The Minor League
A4 Carmelita
A5 Montgomery
A6 Hold On Magnolia
B1 In The Human World
B2 Bowery
B3 Nashville Moon
B4 Leave The City
B5 I've Been Riding With The Ghost

Sat January 11, 2020 7:42 pm

Simple Torture wrote:Someone posted the tracklist for the La Chapelle LP and I need a new pair of shorts. I am pretty sure that's Warren Zevon's Carmelita. 31 Seasons is such an amazing deep cut. Hold On is one of my favorite songs period. Someone hold me.

A1 East St. Louis Blues
A2 Trouble In Mind
A3 31 Seasons In The Minor League
A4 Carmelita
A5 Montgomery
A6 Hold On Magnolia
B1 In The Human World
B2 Bowery
B3 Nashville Moon
B4 Leave The City
B5 I've Been Riding With The Ghost

God almighty, i hope this gets a non-record club release.

Sat January 11, 2020 8:14 pm

There's a digital copy floating around, just haven't been able to grab it yet.

Mine arrived today. #271/450. Will listen while working tonight.

Sat January 11, 2020 9:51 pm

Oh man, if you get yr paws on the files, please DM. I need to hear that version of One Thin Dime!

Sun January 12, 2020 2:34 am

On my second listen already.

Mon January 13, 2020 1:40 am

How many ghosts will I meet on the road?
That depends on how hard you're running

Mon January 13, 2020 7:37 pm

Got Love and Work in the mail last week and just now spinning it. Holy shit. This stuff really comes to life when I'm not playing it off my phone. The package is really cool for the 35 bucks or whatever I spent on it too. The anti Gigaton.

Tue January 14, 2020 3:12 pm

North Star just guts me every time.

Thu January 23, 2020 3:56 pm

Great YouTube channel that keeps uncovering great stuff; two shows from 2000 popped up this week:

Thu January 23, 2020 4:39 pm

Simple Torture wrote:Great bump.

This should ship to me this week:

:nice:

I could not be more jealous right now. I learned about this release about three days too late to sign up and get it.

Thu January 23, 2020 4:47 pm

I first heard Songs: Ohia on April 2, 1998, when I saw them play at my tiny Vermont college at the end of my freshman year. I had no idea who they were, but thought the posters looked really cool and mysterious. About 20 of us were at the show. They had just released "Impala," and Jason offered a free copy of the vinyl to anyone who knew Geezer Butler's real name. None of us did, so he made it easier and asked us Ozzy's real name instead. Somehow I knew it was John despite not ever liking Sabbath or Ozzy, and so I got mine straight from the man. After their set (before Oneida went on), I wanted to buy every CD he had, which was the self-titled, Impala, and Hecla & Griper, but I had to drive 20 minutes to the nearest ATM. I remember asking Jason if he was sticking around and he gave me this puzzled look, understandably, and said something like, "well I'm not going miss Oneida." So I did, I drove into town and back. Was later fortunate to interview him for PopMatters, though I don't think they ever ran the interview, and to meet him before a show at Schuba's in the early 00's. Everyone one of those S:O albums I know right where I was when I first heard it.

Thu February 06, 2020 2:49 pm

The Live at La Chappelle LP is now available to anyone. The blue vinyl is now exclusive to the Club, but the regular black LP is now selling for 19.99 over at SC. Just ordered my copy!

Mon March 16, 2020 5:55 pm

Seven years today.

Mon March 16, 2020 8:17 pm

Simple Torture wrote:

So the only version of this song on YouTube or the internet anywhere cuts off right before my favorite line, the last one on the record, where Jason sings:

I've been looking at the stars in the sky tonight
And it looks like there's room for mine

Wed May 20, 2020 1:18 pm

New posthumous album coming in August:

Wed May 20, 2020 7:41 pm

I like percussion on that one.
Post a reply