The board's server will undergo upgrade maintenance tonight, Nov 5, 2014, beginning approximately around 10 PM ET. Prepare for some possible down time during this process.
FAQ    Search

Board index » Word on the Street » Other Bands

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1121 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 42, 43, 44, 45, 46, 47, 48 ... 57  Next
 Post subject: Re: Random Music News
PostPosted: Sat January 22, 2022 12:22 am 
Production Police

Strat wrote:
tragabigzanda wrote:
this love for CDs is concerning. Limited to 16/44.1, crappy jewel cases that are always getting chipped, you get a scratch and they're skipping...

Love others have mentioned, I'll occasionally buy one from a small local act to support their biz, but good riddance is generally my view. Pieces of crap.

hey we can agree on 1 thing, friend.

"And now you want me to BLEE | E | E | E | E | E | E | E | E | E | E | E | E | E | E | E | E | E | E | E | E | E | E | E | E | E | E | E | E | E | E | E | E | E | E | E | E | E | E | E | E | E | E | E | E | E | E | E | E | E | E | E | E | E | E | E | E | E | E | E | E | E | E | E | E | E | E | E | E | E | E | E | E"

PostPosted: Sat January 22, 2022 12:23 am 
The Master

ok

PostPosted: Sat January 22, 2022 12:30 am 
Production Police

that's the CD skipping

Production Police

on the worst part of the worst pearl jam song

Production Police

because you see strat the thing is

PostPosted: Sat January 22, 2022 12:31 am 
Production Police

YOU CAN'T DENY ME!

PostPosted: Sat January 22, 2022 2:02 am 
NYUCK NYUCK NYUCK

tragabigzanda wrote:
this love for CDs is concerning. Limited to 16/44.1, crappy jewel cases that are always getting chipped, you get a scratch and they're skipping...

Like others have mentioned, I'll occasionally buy one from a small local act to support their biz, but good riddance is generally my view. Pieces of crap.

Some of it is nostalgia, I suppose. And I haven't seen a classic jewel case in a while, it's mostly digipaks being produced down here

As far as the resolution, doesn't really bother me. I understand it's perfectly adequate for what humans are able to physically experience/discern, and plays less into the experience of listening to the music than other much more audible and present factors. If that's incorrect, fair enough, but it rings true for my own experience.

PostPosted: Sat January 22, 2022 3:04 am 
AnalLog

Kevin Davis wrote:
dad wrote:
i figured this article could go here. are CDs really back? do you still buy and/or prefer CDs?

https://www.rollingstone.com/music/musi ... d-1284487/

Love 'em! CD's have been my preferred format ever since I got my first one. I stream, I download, I even have a (modest and very undisciplined) collection of LP's, but when I really want to add something to my library, I buy it on CD, and I still buy quite a few. I'm sure there's some nostalgia tied up in it, but I've always just really enjoyed everything about them.

That said, I don't think a slight sales bump in a year where multiple top-selling acts put out major releases constitutes a renaissance of the format.

I'm with Kevin. Other formats are fine, but the little shiny disc is my preference. I don't need hundreds of dollars of equipment and optimal environmental conditions to make a CD sound good, but it's still a physical container for music that I enjoy and support and it's a lot more satisfying than streaming.

PostPosted: Sat January 22, 2022 3:15 am 
Fake NYC Setlist Relayer

I think each has or has had its point for me.

I have the most of CDs because that was the dominant format for most of my life from teenage years until maybe 5 years ago. I had ready access to CD players, they played in the car, etc. - but as time passed it became less convenient compared to Spotify, who now wins the day because it works for my commute, chores, etc.

On the vinyl front, my enjoyment of that format started because I could purchase used versions of many classic albums for under $4 - in some cases Led Zeppelin and Neil Young albums in the 1990s in the dollar bin. It was significantly less expensive than CDs. As a bonus, there was value to me that you sort of need to invest the time on a record - play the whole side and flip and play the other side with oversized artwork as a space to drift off as you listen and actually fully appreciate it without skipping around or letting it fade into the background of everything else happening. I still regard this format now as the preferred method for that reason and not any adherence to human levels of audio quality. It’s the experience that matters, not all the technical stuff.

PostPosted: Sat January 22, 2022 3:20 am 
The Master

liebzz wrote:
I think each has or has had its point for me.

I have the most of CDs because that was the dominant format for most of my life from teenage years until maybe 5 years ago. I had ready access to CD players, they played in the car, etc. - but as time passed it became less convenient compared to Spotify, who now wins the day because it works for my commute, chores, etc.

On the vinyl front, my enjoyment of that format started because I could purchase used versions of many classic albums for under $4 - in some cases Led Zeppelin and Neil Young albums in the 1990s in the dollar bin. It was significantly less expensive than CDs. As a bonus, there was value to me that you sort of need to invest the time on a record - play the whole side and flip and play the other side with oversized artwork as a space to drift off as you listen and actually fully appreciate it without skipping around or letting it fade into the background of everything else happening. I still regard this format now as the preferred method for that reason and not any adherence to human levels of audio quality. It’s the experience that matters, not all the technical stuff.

Absolutely about the experience for me. That also includes upgrading the sound system with cartridges, needles, speakers, receivers etc. I dont have a professional ear but i generally enjoy sitting in front of my stereo with a record on than any other listening experience.

most importantly, yea, its about choosing a record and committing to the listen. Its not mindless. It matters.

My GF bought me "The Woman in Red" soundtrack. She saw it at some garage sale and grabbed it for me because its Stevie Wonder. It's an absolutely awful album. It was a thoughtful gift. She put it on while we were cooking dinner. After two songs she wanted to change it. Nope. Absolutely not . WE COMMITTED GODDAMNIT. The record stays....

No shuffle in this household

PostPosted: Sat January 22, 2022 3:21 am 
The Master

And before you CD nerds start barking at me....

Yes, i know you can have the same experience.

PostPosted: Sat January 22, 2022 4:00 am 
Production Police

Jorge wrote:
tragabigzanda wrote:

Like others have mentioned, I'll occasionally buy one from a small local act to support their biz, but good riddance is generally my view. Pieces of crap.

Some of it is nostalgia, I suppose. And I haven't seen a classic jewel case in a while, it's mostly digipaks being produced down here

As far as the resolution, doesn't really bother me. I understand it's perfectly adequate for what humans are able to physically experience/discern, and plays less into the experience of listening to the music than other much more audible and present factors. If that's incorrect, fair enough, but it rings true for my own experience.

There’s a lot of stipulations that could be picked apart here, but the two that I find the most problematic are that CD masters are typically more compressed than vinyl, and that CD digital rez is often really unflattering to top end/airy information.

PostPosted: Sat January 22, 2022 4:10 am 
The Master

Man, trag hates Cd's

PostPosted: Sat January 22, 2022 4:19 am 
NYUCK NYUCK NYUCK

tragabigzanda wrote:
CD masters are typically more compressed than vinyl,

Right, that's what I was alluding to when I talked about other factors that affect the listening experience much more meaningfully than the resolution. It's true that CDs were (and still sometimes are) mastered more hot, but I also understand that leveled off considerably in later decades

tragabigzanda wrote:
There’s a lot of stipulations that could be picked apart here,

"There's a lot I could say right now that I'm NOT gonna say!!!"

PostPosted: Sat January 22, 2022 4:21 am 
Production Police

Don’t get me wrong, I opted for mp3 over CDs for more than a decade because I valued convenience above all else.

PostPosted: Sat January 22, 2022 4:22 am 
NYUCK NYUCK NYUCK

Ultimately I'm down with any method that can connect me with the music I love. I love vinyl, I love CDs, I buy FLACs from Bandcamp regularly, and I'm subscribed to both Tidal and Spotify.

I don't fuck with cassettes though

PostPosted: Sat January 22, 2022 4:23 am 
10Club Complaint Department

Jorge wrote:
Ultimately I'm down with any method that can connect me with the music I love. I love vinyl, I love CDs, I buy FLACs from Bandcamp regularly, and I'm subscribed to both Tidal and Spotify.

What’s wrong with cassettes?

PostPosted: Sat January 22, 2022 4:24 am 
NYUCK NYUCK NYUCK

I don't have anywhere to play them

PostPosted: Sat January 22, 2022 4:25 am 
The Master

Jorge wrote:

No way tidal is around in 3 months, right?
Didn't they just run a promotion for like 99 cents for 3 months or something?

PostPosted: Sat January 22, 2022 4:26 am 
NYUCK NYUCK NYUCK

I don't know but I love their service. Tidal "Master-quality" from my computer to my little DAC to my headphones is bliss.

I'd fully cancel my Spotify Premium subscription if it weren't for the ease of sharing music with others

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1121 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 42, 43, 44, 45, 46, 47, 48 ... 57  Next

Board index » Word on the Street » Other Bands