The board's server will undergo upgrade maintenance tonight, Nov 5, 2014, beginning approximately around 10 PM ET. Prepare for some possible down time during this process.
FAQ    Search

Board index » Word on the Street » Other Bands

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 990 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 33, 34, 35, 36, 37, 38, 39 ... 50  Next
 Post subject: Re: Sigur Rós
PostPosted: Thu February 20, 2020 3:50 pm 
She / Her

it really is fucking great

PostPosted: Thu February 20, 2020 3:59 pm 
Looks Like a Cat

this is one of my favorite live versions of any of their songs:

PostPosted: Thu February 20, 2020 4:01 pm 
Looks Like a Cat

god i miss kjartan

PostPosted: Thu February 20, 2020 4:28 pm 
Future Drummer

Chris_H_2 wrote:
god i miss kjartan

Yeah, Kveikur is the only Sigur Ros album I don't love (not counting Von) and I think him not being on Kveikur is a big reason for it. Their live shows are also suffering from his absence. The last time I saw them as a three piece without any strings/brass instruments didn't impress me even nearly as much as their earlier concerts.

PostPosted: Thu February 20, 2020 5:01 pm 
Looks Like a Cat

Mike wrote:
Chris_H_2 wrote:
god i miss kjartan

Yeah, Kveikur is the only Sigur Ros album I don't love (not counting Von) and I think him not being on Kveikur is a big reason for it. Their live shows are also suffering from his absence. The last time I saw them as a three piece without any strings/brass instruments didn't impress me even nearly as much as their earlier concerts.

i agree. there's definitely an "empty" sound to them now that he's gone. in particularly, they seem to avoid playing any of the songs from med sud altogether with the exception of festival (which again, sounds kind of bland).

PostPosted: Thu February 20, 2020 7:30 pm 
NEVER STOP JAMMING!

E.H. Ruddock wrote:
bodysnatcher wrote:
( ) is my fave

Not sure if serious?

But that album has some really great atmosphere, I love it. Such a different album for them.

Dead serious. I absolutely love that album. I’d say it was one one of the more pivotal albums that has shaped some of my interests in other music. I remember buying it at the campus bookstore with a store credit that I got from returning a textbook of a class I dropped.

PostPosted: Thu February 20, 2020 8:30 pm 
Future Drummer

bodysnatcher wrote:
E.H. Ruddock wrote:
bodysnatcher wrote:
( ) is my fave

Not sure if serious?

But that album has some really great atmosphere, I love it. Such a different album for them.

Dead serious. I absolutely love that album. I’d say it was one one of the more pivotal albums that has shaped some of my interests in other music. I remember buying it at the campus bookstore with a store credit that I got from returning a textbook of a class I dropped.

I had Vaka playing when I first read the news on dirtyfrank0705. Picked up the single release that came along with the DVD and watched the video shortly thereafter if not that night and listening/seeing either still evokes a very somber mood.

Minus the Rimur, Hlemmer and Ba Ba Ti Ki Di Do releases, which were related to other projects, I think this is their studio output of original songs not found on their albums:

Sigur 9A (untitled) (4:41)
Sigur 9B (untitled) (2:47)
Sigur 9C (untitled) (4:22)
Refur (2:45)
Ó Fridur (4:47)
Kafari (6:06)
Hafsól (9:47)
Salka (7:08)
Hljómalind (4:02)
Í gćr (6:26)
Heima (3:59)
Hryggjarsúla (5:04)
Ofbirta (4:12)
Kvistur (5:30)
Logn (8:14)
Hryggjarsúla (5:04)
Ofbirta (4:12)

PostPosted: Thu February 20, 2020 9:11 pm 
Guys, I am not a moderator! I swear to God! Why does everyone think I'm a moderator?

That 24 hours of Route 1 is available, does that have a name?

PostPosted: Thu February 20, 2020 9:26 pm 
Future Drummer

E.H. Ruddock wrote:
That 24 hours of Route 1 is available, does that have a name?

Not sure if they settled on a name as it is a computer generated thing but I did miss Óveður and Á as I do not have those.

PostPosted: Fri February 21, 2020 12:24 pm 
Future Drummer

i didn’t realize ( ) was not a top favorite of many. it definitely is my favorite record by them. their later output, from med sud on, just never really clicked for me. i do like valtari well enough i guess - the film project dvd i thought was a cool thing - but the others i’d not miss if i never heard them again.

( )
agaetis
takk
von
valtari
med sud
kveikur

PostPosted: Fri February 21, 2020 12:29 pm 
She / Her

( ) is an amazing album, I think it goes right behind Takk for me

PostPosted: Fri February 21, 2020 12:46 pm 
Future Drummer

I wish they went full on industrial post-rock on Kveikur. Brennisteinn and Kveikur (the song) are amazing but the rest is same old Sigur Rós.

PostPosted: Fri February 21, 2020 1:33 pm 
She / Her

Mike wrote:
I wish they went full on industrial post-rock on Kveikur. Brennisteinn and Kveikur (the song) are amazing but the rest is same old Sigur Rós.

I love that album but I know what you mean

PostPosted: Fri February 21, 2020 2:12 pm 
AnalLog

Mike wrote:

I think the other songs are different enough from their previous work to warrant existing on an album of their own, but a record of more industrial stuff like you mentioned (among which I would almost include "Hrafntinna") would be nice. I felt like they were going to deliver on something like that when they put out "Óveður" a few years ago, but nothing ever happened and they've been in their weird holding pattern ever since.

PostPosted: Fri February 21, 2020 2:29 pm 
Looks Like a Cat

that outro in Rafstraumur is sublime. It’s one of my favorite moments on that album.

PostPosted: Fri February 21, 2020 2:51 pm 
Guys, I am not a moderator! I swear to God! Why does everyone think I'm a moderator?

Chris_H_2 wrote:
that outro in Rafstraumur is sublime. It’s one of my favorite moments on that album.

Yeah I love that song. It was used nicely in a documentary on Netflix about surfing in Iceland

PostPosted: Fri February 21, 2020 2:59 pm 
Future Drummer

Brett wrote:
Mike wrote:

I think the other songs are different enough from their previous work to warrant existing on an album of their own, but a record of more industrial stuff like you mentioned (among which I would almost include "Hrafntinna") would be nice. I felt like they were going to deliver on something like that when they put out "Óveður" a few years ago, but nothing ever happened and they've been in their weird holding pattern ever since.

There was four years between Með suð and Valtari but at least we got Inni during the interim. The focus on reissues and such has been interesting but some new music would be really nice. That said, I haven't listened to Riceboy Sleeps or Go in ages.

PostPosted: Fri February 21, 2020 3:12 pm 
She / Her

Brett wrote:
Mike wrote:

exactly, I thought they were going heavier, which I'd like them to try

PostPosted: Sat February 22, 2020 8:51 am 
NEVER STOP JAMMING!

I’m not gonna lie, There’s only about 3 sigur Ros songs where I can see the song title and know what the song is or sounds like.

PostPosted: Sat February 22, 2020 2:21 pm 

bodysnatcher wrote:
I’m not gonna lie, There’s only about 3 sigur Ros songs where I can see the song title and know what the song is or sounds like.

You just have to take a lonely quiet evening and spend some time with them, 'snatcher.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 990 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 33, 34, 35, 36, 37, 38, 39 ... 50  Next

Board index » Word on the Street » Other Bands