Switch to full style
Other than Pearl Jam, who else is there?
Post a reply

Re: Jick Talk

Mon July 30, 2018 8:19 pm

dad wrote:
washing machine wrote:
dad wrote:
washing machine wrote:
dad wrote:Additionally, I saw SM & the Jicks in Tulsa the other night, and it was great. It was my first time seeing them, and it was hard - for everyone there - to not focus entirely on Malkmus. It made me wish I would've seen Pavement when they were together. Dude is just a solid performer.

I was standing directly in front of Mike Clark's keyboard. That made it easy to focus on the band. That light show was pretty great, yeah?

oh shit...my wife and I were standing in front of him as well. I'll be honest, I didn't pay nearly as much attention to the lights as I did when we saw Pedro the Lion at the same venue back in February.

There wasn't much to it, but they nailed the vibe. Pink Floyd circa 1966.

:thumbsup:

Listening to Mirror Traffic now.

Great idea, dad

Mon July 30, 2018 9:15 pm

okay, so I went to the beginning of this thread, and momentarily paused listening to Mirror Traffic in favor of S&E.

I've only watched Slow Century once, and I though I haven't read the 33 1/3 on WZ, I should. I do hope someone writes a definitive - official - take on Pavement someday.

I feel like I connect more with earlier Pavement - even early SM & the Jicks - because I wasn't listening to Pavement when they were making albums, and it makes me very nostalgic for that time, like I wish I would've because I would've loved them as much as I do now had I given them the chance. I listened to so much Pearl Jam, and didn't make room for many other bands up until my late twenties, sadly.

better late than never though...

Tue July 31, 2018 5:18 am

Sparkle Hard and Mirror Traffic are the only Jicks albums I've listened to, and I like them quite a bit but I definitely like the Pavement records better. Especially Slanted and Wowee Zowee.
They're probably the band I've listened to the most these last couple months.

Tue July 31, 2018 2:37 pm

chewm wrote:Sparkle Hard and Mirror Traffic are the only Jicks albums I've listened to, and I like them quite a bit but I definitely like the Pavement records better. Especially Slanted and Wowee Zowee.
They're probably the band I've listened to the most these last couple months.

Face the Truth and Pig Lib are outstanding SM & Jicks albums. I'd even throw the S/T in there as well. Trojan Curfew sounds like a cousin of Type Slowly - to my ears, anyway.

Tue July 31, 2018 3:12 pm

hey dad

Tue July 31, 2018 3:14 pm

oh, hey...

Mon August 06, 2018 5:50 pm

I'm giving Flaked on Netflix another chance and finding that I really like the show. Malkmus's score is fantastic. Kind of blew my mind that Cast Off was demo'd in the first or second episode.

I'd love an OST from this series, wouldn't you guys? The musical passage below is a nice departure from his usual guitar noodlings. I kinda get lost in it.

Thu August 23, 2018 8:02 pm

praise the grammar police, i'm listening to brighten the corners all day.

Thu August 23, 2018 8:12 pm

this thread title makes me uncomfortable

Thu August 23, 2018 9:16 pm

washing machine wrote:I'm giving Flaked on Netflix another chance and finding that I really like the show. Malkmus's score is fantastic. Kind of blew my mind that Cast Off was demo'd in the first or second episode.

I'd love an OST from this series, wouldn't you guys? The musical passage below is a nice departure from his usual guitar noodlings. I kinda get lost in it.

I like Flaked yeah, and the soundtrack is pretty good. There is a Spotify list around.

Fri August 24, 2018 5:24 am

That version of Margaritaville is okay

Thu September 13, 2018 10:03 pm

Sparkle Hard gets even better over time. It's close to overtaking Mirror Traffic for which Jicks album I reach for most often.

Thu September 13, 2018 10:11 pm

washing machine wrote:Sparkle Hard gets even better over time. It's close to overtaking Mirror Traffic for which Jicks album I reach for most often.

yeah i spun it on my drive home a couple nights ago and just thoroughly enjoyed the whole thing

Re: Remember a band called Pavement? (Mostly Jick Talk)

Mon September 24, 2018 2:22 pm

I was listening to the extended version of The Hexx after my bike ride last night. Just me and the headphones on the back patio. I think I read somewhere that this version was originally supposed to open Brighten the Corners? I get lost in those guitar patterns.

Tue September 25, 2018 12:57 am

I watched Slow Century for the first time last night.

Tue September 25, 2018 2:11 am

What’d you think? I watched it for the first time about a month ago.

Fri September 28, 2018 6:26 pm

It was a really good watch. Feel like it went by a bit too fast.

Wed October 10, 2018 12:11 am

i know enough about Reid and his love of biking and Malkmus so that now Bike Lane is 100% his song. I can't hear it without picturing him riding around Houston.

Wed October 10, 2018 3:35 am

tragabigzanda wrote:i know enough about Reid and his love of biking and Malkmus so that now Bike Lane is 100% his song. I can't hear it without picturing him riding around Houston.

You a bit light in the loafers, Trag?

Wed October 10, 2018 5:40 am

Dev wrote:
tragabigzanda wrote:i know enough about Reid and his love of biking and Malkmus so that now Bike Lane is 100% his song. I can't hear it without picturing him riding around Houston.

You a bit light in the loafers, Trag?

I'm just Reid-curious
Post a reply