Switch to full style
Other than Pearl Jam, who else is there?
Post a reply

Re: Unpopular Music Opinions

Mon April 16, 2018 4:34 pm

LoathedVermin72 wrote:Incubus’s Morning View is a beautifully realized musical vision with a sound and feel unlike anything else. I remember Devin Townsend saying that when he made his album Physicist, his goal was to make a metal album without any anger or aggression. While it’s not metal, I think Morning View accomplishes something similar (with a few exceptions; there’s a little venom in “Circles” and “Blood on the Ground”). Like, “Wish You Were Here” is a hooky rock song with loud, hard guitars, but there isn’t an ounce of aggression anywhere in it. Just pure warmth, happiness, joy. It’s airy and light and breezy. I wish there were more music like this.

great album for sure

Mon April 16, 2018 6:11 pm

LoathedVermin72 wrote:Incubus’s Morning View is a beautifully realized musical vision with a sound and feel unlike anything else. I remember Devin Townsend saying that when he made his album Physicist, his goal was to make a metal album without any anger or aggression. While it’s not metal, I think Morning View accomplishes something similar (with a few exceptions; there’s a little venom in “Circles” and “Blood on the Ground”). Like, “Wish You Were Here” is a hooky rock song with loud, hard guitars, but there isn’t an ounce of aggression anywhere in it. Just pure warmth, happiness, joy. It’s airy and light and breezy. I wish there were more music like this.

It was a change, especially coming off of Make Yourself and the even louder Science.

How do you feel about If Not Now, When? It's one of my favorites from them, even though most people I've seen dislike it.

Mon April 16, 2018 6:21 pm

I was really into Morning View when it came out.

Mon April 16, 2018 6:35 pm

bune wrote:

It was a change, especially coming off of Make Yourself and the even louder Science.

How do you feel about If Not Now, When? It's one of my favorites from them, even though most people I've seen dislike it.

TBH I’ve never made it through that one. With the exception of “Anna Molly”, which is terrific, they dropped hard for me after ACLOTM.

Mon April 16, 2018 6:47 pm

i'm gonna listen to this now. i don't think i've properly given the album a full listen, just a handful of songs. i always really liked "nice to know you"

Mon April 16, 2018 7:10 pm

LoathedVermin72 wrote:
bune wrote:

TBH I’ve never made it through that one. With the exception of “Anna Molly”, which is terrific, they dropped hard for me after ACLOTM.

Oh yeah, of their albums that one has the fewest plays from me. Some ok songs on it, but nothing that was great. Dig was in LEGO Rock Band so I ended up liking it though I wonder if that was more from Stockholm Syndrome than any musicality of the song.

Wed April 18, 2018 4:56 pm

I don't care for conversations in the middle of songs. Classic example:

In the middle of Van Halen's "Everybody Wants Some"

I like the way the line runs up the back of the stockings.
I've always liked those kind of high heels too. You know, I...
No no no no, don't take 'em off, don't take... Leave 'em on, leave 'em on.
Yeah, that's it, a little more to the right, a little more....

Wed April 18, 2018 5:00 pm

Roth did that a lot.

Wed April 18, 2018 5:29 pm

I like spoken word sections in songs. They add an extra level of cheese. Like in "Sugar Baby Love" by The Rubettes, an already incredibly cheesy song. Or "Address Unknown" by The Inkspots

Wed April 18, 2018 6:03 pm

theplatypus wrote:I like spoken word sections in songs. They add an extra level of cheese. Like in "Sugar Baby Love" by The Rubettes, an already incredibly cheesy song. Or "Address Unknown" by The Inkspots

Love The Inkspots!

Wed April 18, 2018 6:10 pm

They are very diverse

Wed April 18, 2018 9:00 pm

Albums I never thought I’d have in my queue coming up - Morning View.

Glad you posted that perspective, LV. I’ll listen with that in mind late tonight when I’m closing the bar books.

Wed April 18, 2018 9:04 pm

washing machine wrote:Albums I never thought I’d have in my queue coming up - Morning View.

Glad you posted that perspective, LV. I’ll listen with that in mind late tonight when I’m closing the bar books.

good idea playing that after the bar is closed

Wed April 18, 2018 9:07 pm

bodysnatcher wrote:
washing machine wrote:Albums I never thought I’d have in my queue coming up - Morning View.

I always listen in the office via computer speakers.

Wed April 18, 2018 9:09 pm

washing machine wrote:
bodysnatcher wrote:

I always listen in the office via computer speakers.

SHE CALLED OUT A WAARRRRRRRRNNNNIIIIINNNNNNNNNGGGGGGG

Wed April 18, 2018 10:52 pm

Morning view is the best incubus album and it's not even close

Wed April 18, 2018 11:07 pm

i got bugs wrote:Morning view is the best incubus album and it's not even close

Thu April 19, 2018 1:16 am

Im a huge Incubus fan. Went to see them last year, and the show was so fucking good.
8 is a really good album.

Thu April 19, 2018 3:29 am

The production suffered a little from the singles to the actual album but yeah, it's good. Well, barring "When I Became A Man".

Thu April 19, 2018 3:38 am

i got bugs wrote:Morning view is the best incubus album and it's not even close

S.C.I.E.N.C.E or GTFO
Post a reply