The board's server will undergo upgrade maintenance tonight, Nov 5, 2014, beginning approximately around 10 PM ET. Prepare for some possible down time during this process.
FAQ    Search

Board index » Word on the Street » Other Bands

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 147 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
 Post subject: Re: Frightened Rabbit (R.I.P. Scott)
PostPosted: Sun July 08, 2018 1:37 am 
Future Drummer

Beautiful

PostPosted: Sun July 08, 2018 8:49 am 
what on earth am I talking about

Higgs wrote:
My FR hoodie arrived the other day. It's keeping me warm.

Pics!

PostPosted: Mon July 09, 2018 2:41 am 
Misplaced My Sponge

My head is far rougher than yours dime, so I'll do everyone a favour and leave it out of the pic...

PostPosted: Mon July 09, 2018 2:58 am 
Rank This Poster

Nice!

PostPosted: Mon July 09, 2018 7:42 am 

That’s a beauty.

PostPosted: Tue July 24, 2018 11:58 pm 
Rank This Poster

PostPosted: Wed July 25, 2018 12:49 am 
Rank This Poster

love that he is also a fan of DCFC, at least we shared something

PostPosted: Wed September 05, 2018 3:54 pm 
Rank This Poster

https://www.spin.com/2018/09/death-cab- ... lk-listen/

Lovely cover
Scott and Ben were friends

PostPosted: Mon October 29, 2018 9:09 pm 
Rank This Poster

Next year's trip overseas will include a stay in Glasgow and a visit to the Firth of Forth.

:peace:

PostPosted: Tue November 20, 2018 12:54 pm 
Rank This Poster

Happy Birthday, Scott.

PostPosted: Sat December 08, 2018 4:59 am 
Misplaced My Sponge

https://www.nme.com/news/music/death-cab-for-cutie-ben-gibbard-reflects-tribute-show-frightened-rabbit-scott-hutchison-rough-trade-nyc-2417398

Ben Gibbard has reflected on an emotional concert performed in memory of Scott Hutchinson.

The Death Cab For Cutie frontman played at a fundraising concert in tribute to the late Frightened Rabbit singer yesterday (December 5) and shared a photo from the event that left his assembled band in tears.

In the photo, Gibbard is sat with Julien Baker, Aaron Dessner (The National), Craig Finn (The Hold Steady), and others at the Rough Trade NYC in Brooklyn. He describes in the caption how moved the band were when watching the crowd sing ‘The Modern Leper’ after the set.

Gibbard said there wasn’t “a single dry eye” while the band stood in the wings watching “in amazement” as the audience bellowed the Frightened Rabbit song over the PA.

Together, the group performed ‘Death Dream’, ‘Old Old Fashioned,’ ‘Swim Until You Can’t See Land’ and ‘Painting of a Panic Attack.’

As BrooklynVegan reports, Baker and Dessner played ‘The Woodpile’ together. Gibbard performed ‘Keep Yourself Warm’ with Baker and Dessner. Kevin Devine and Baker performed ‘I Wish I Was Sober’. Gibbard and Dessner played ‘My Backwards Walk’. Finn performed ‘Heads Roll Off’ and ‘Twist’ solo. He also played ‘Acts of Man’ with piano accompaniment. And Baker performed ‘Holy’ on her own.

All proceeds from the concert will go the Scott Hutchison Fund, which was set up in the musician’s memory after he took his own life in May.

Scott’s brother, and Frightened Rabbit drummer, said that the fund “will form the basis for a Mental Health Charity to be set up fully in the coming months. We hope to be able to help others the way Scott did with kindness, empathy, and hope.”

Frightened Rabbit play Glasgow’s Sleep In The Park this Saturday, 8 December. The event is to raise money in support of homeless charities in Scotland and to raise awareness.

The band will play some of their songs and “a couple of Scott’s favourite covers”. They join The Twilight Sad, Kathryn Joseph, and others for the special concert.

___

Not gonna lie, even 7 months later I teared up a little watching these performances.

Sigh...

PostPosted: Mon December 10, 2018 11:19 pm 

My brilliant and brave friend did this this weekend. I’m looking into starting this in Dublin

I went to Glasgow last weekend to participate in the Social Bite Sleep Out which took place on Saturday night.

The purpose was to give those who are fortunate to have a roof over their heads an insight into what it would be like to have to live rough on the streets in cold winter conditions and to raise funds towards eliminating homelessness in Scotland.

It was certainly an eye - opening experience. I truly do not know how people survive night after night in those kinds of conditions.

My main reason for participating in the Sleep Out in Glasgow was to honour Scott Hutchison of Frightened Rabbit who we lost in May of this year. I wanted to undertake a challenge in his name which benefitted others and which fostered compassion for people. I also wanted to lend my support to the rest of the band who agreed to play at the event in tribute to Scott.

I expected it to be emotional and I was not wrong. Almost all the artists who performed were Scott's friends and/or peers. As you can see from these videos, the intensity of all their performances was immense and they certainly did their friend & brother proud.

I am in awe of Grant, Billy & Andy getting up on that stage on Saturday night. Their courage evidently knows no bounds and was inspiring beyond words.

I was also delighted to be involved in an event which led to £3.2m being raised to address the issue of homelessness in Scotland (of which I was able to contribute just over £2,000 from many generous donations).

As the great Patti Smith says:

'People have the power'

I'd like to thank Social Bite for their amazing efforts in using the communal hearts of everyday people to address the incredibly important issue of homelessness. I also want to thank all the artists who played their hearts out in Scott's honour - the emotion radiated from the stage - I hope you felt the collective support from us all.

And finally thank you to everyone who donated - you money has really made a difference!

LET'S ALL CONTINUE TO
MAKE TINY CHANGES

The videos attached are:

1. Kathryn Joseph with Frightened Rabbit - Get Out

2. Simon Neil of Biffy Clyro with Frightened Rabbit - The Modern Leper

3. James Graham and Andy MacFarlane with Frightened Rabbit - Be Less Rude

PostPosted: Sat May 11, 2019 7:11 pm 

A whole year.
Don’t wanna be cheesy. But I won’t forget this man or his songs.
Know I’m not on my own keeping his memory.

PostPosted: Mon May 13, 2019 1:20 pm 
likes rhythmic things that butt up against each other

Saw Frank Turner in concert on Thursday night and he played Modern Leper and talked about it being one year later. It was a good performance and he almost lost it during the last chorus.

PostPosted: Thu July 11, 2019 2:46 am 
Rank This Poster

PostPosted: Fri August 16, 2019 1:09 am 
Misplaced My Sponge

Thanks for those ^^ 'bain.

PostPosted: Fri August 16, 2019 2:59 am 
Rank This Poster

I chanced on The Midnight Organ Flight about half a year ago, and it really landed in a way I haven't had a record land for me in a while. I've heard songs by Frightened Rabbit here and there, but this record is consistently great all the way through, and just musically exciting (I think I had an unfair thinking of them as being a fairly non-descript indie rock band instrumentally, which is very much not the case judging by this record). There's so many great songs all throughout.

PostPosted: Fri August 16, 2019 7:58 am 

digster wrote:
I chanced on The Midnight Organ Flight about half a year ago, and it really landed in a way I haven't had a record land for me in a while. I've heard songs by Frightened Rabbit here and there, but this record is consistently great all the way through, and just musically exciting (I think I had an unfair thinking of them as being a fairly non-descript indie rock band instrumentally, which is very much not the case judging by this record). There's so many great songs all throughout.

That’s awesome. You’d should definitely give painting of a panic attack a listen. It’s even better than that one.

PostPosted: Fri August 16, 2019 9:22 am 
Misplaced My Sponge

dimejinky99 wrote:
digster wrote:

That’s awesome. You’d should definitely give painting of a panic attack a listen. It’s even better than that one.

I agree that PoaPA is a fantastic record as well, but MOF just has something that once it grabs you seems to grab you right in the guts.

I made a mega playlist just after Scott died and I still go to it on the reg. It still makes me terribly sad how it all ended for him, his family and the band, but at least it seems as if they are making some positive outcomes out of that huge loss. "While I'm alive I'll make tiny changes to earth" indeed.

As a lyricist Scott had so much to say, and had that incredible knack of saying things so succinctly and so well. The guy could really rip your heart out with a simple line.

PostPosted: Tue August 27, 2019 9:57 am 
Misplaced My Sponge

The "Tiny Changes" compilation album is a corker - well worth checking out if you have any interest in the band. I think it is important to understand that the compilation (various artists recording covers of the songs off of Midnight Organ Fight) was compiled before Scott died. This isn't a tribute album, and I believe it is far better for it ('cause lets be honest - who the fuck could sing his songs after the fact and somehow keep it together?). Been listening this afternoon, really good.

So, let's rank shit:

01 Good Arms vs Bad Arms
02 I Wish I Was Sober
03 Holy
04 Acts of Man
05 A Lick of Paint
06 Woke Up Hurting
07 An Otherwise Disappointing Life
08 The Woodpile
09 My Backwards Walk
10 Swim Until You Can't See Land

Last edited by Higgs on Sun September 15, 2019 5:36 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 147 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Board index » Word on the Street » Other Bands