The board's server will undergo upgrade maintenance tonight, Nov 5, 2014, beginning approximately around 10 PM ET. Prepare for some possible down time during this process.
FAQ    Search

Board index » Word on the Street » Other Bands

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 833 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28 ... 42  Next
 Post subject: Re: Grateful Dead
PostPosted: Thu August 13, 2020 8:49 pm 
tl;dr

"Terrapin Station" is one of the few Dead songs that I think is, without exception, better in the studio -- the whole orchestration and execution of it is immaculate, and it's a beautiful song. Some of the live versions are good but I've never heard one that does it justice like the studio version.

PostPosted: Thu August 13, 2020 9:14 pm 
Fake NYC Setlist Relayer

Kevin Davis wrote:
"Terrapin Station" is one of the few Dead songs that I think is, without exception, better in the studio -- the whole orchestration and execution of it is immaculate, and it's a beautiful song. Some of the live versions are good but I've never heard one that does it justice like the studio version.

Sometimes I feel like I have no idea and I am just rambling, but this made me feel validated. Agreed 100%.

PostPosted: Thu August 13, 2020 11:37 pm 
Broken Tamborine

Dick's Picks Volume 3, 5/22 Pembroke Pines, has always been my favorite show from Spring '77. Strong performances throughout and a phenomenal run of Estimated > Eyes > Wharf Rat > Terrapin > Morning Dew. Definitely check it out if you haven't heard it yet, and if you can, get the Charlie Miller master from bt.etree

PostPosted: Fri August 14, 2020 12:42 am 
Fake NYC Setlist Relayer

LooseGroove927 wrote:
Dick's Picks Volume 3, 5/22 Pembroke Pines, has always been my favorite show from Spring '77. Strong performances throughout and a phenomenal run of Estimated > Eyes > Wharf Rat > Terrapin > Morning Dew. Definitely check it out if you haven't heard it yet, and if you can, get the Charlie Miller master from bt.etree

Based on multiple recommendations , I will go there next before I get too far ahead.

Also contemplating a couple of other shows that I already passed before completing the 70s - so there may be a few bonus surprises thrown in.

PostPosted: Fri August 14, 2020 12:58 am 
mXn

KT knows how to name a thread in other bands :thumbsup:

PostPosted: Fri August 14, 2020 2:27 pm 
Fake NYC Setlist Relayer

Does Sugaree just abruptly cut off into Lazy Lightning or did something happen to my Spotify? That was weird.

PostPosted: Fri August 14, 2020 3:09 pm 
Future Drummer

Kevin Davis wrote:

Need some shades for that hot take, KD!

My favorite version is probably the very first time they played it, Feb 26, 77.

It always cracks me up to think, of all tunes, they NAIL this one right out the gate!

Have you considered stacking papers and getting paid?

PostPosted: Fri August 14, 2020 3:30 pm 
Fake NYC Setlist Relayer

Dick’s Picks Vol. 3 - Hollywood Sportatorium, Pembroke Pines, FL 5/22/77

Upon popular demand, I went backwards a little to listen to one more live release from Fall ‘77. This is not the complete show, but what appears was salvageable in the recording from Dick’s perspective (?). What is here is really great. The Music Never Stopped was full of energy, as was the section I got in of Sugaree (not sure if the cut off was the recording or my Spotify). The winner here for me is the run from Help On the Way/Slipknot! into Franklin’s Tower (phenomenal) and then a killer Samson and Delilah. All of these are big steps up that make this more or less essential. Sunrise was good, though it felt like taking a breath before jumping into another great run from Estimated Prophet into Eyes of the World and Wharf Rat. I mean, what an amazing band they were here. Morning Dew is always great to hear, and this one seems a bit laid back compared to a few recent super intense versions, but it still fits the bill.

Set included: Funiculi Funicula, The Music Never Stopped, Sugaree, Lazy Lightning > Supplication, Dancing in the Streets, Help on the Way/Slipknot! > Franklin’s Tower, Samson and Delilah, Sunrise, Estimated Prophet > Eyes of the World > Wharf Rat > Terrapin Station, Morning Dew

PostPosted: Fri August 14, 2020 3:47 pm 
Fake NYC Setlist Relayer

super nintendo chalmers wrote:
Kevin Davis wrote:

Need some shades for that hot take, KD!

My favorite version is probably the very first time they played it, Feb 26, 77.

It always cracks me up to think, of all tunes, they NAIL this one right out the gate!

That’s a really good Terrapin Station. Most of the versions I got to hear on this journey have been largely shortened from the album version, which I tend to agree with KD is phenomenally captured there. I haven’t heard enough Terrapin Stations in recordings to know whether it is the best but both of these are excellent.

PostPosted: Sat August 15, 2020 1:40 pm 
Fake NYC Setlist Relayer

Jerry Garcia Band - PureJerry: Theatre 1839, San Francisco, CA 7/29 & 7/30/77

This release is a mix of 2 shows on consecutive nights and a quick break from the extensive amount of ‘77 Dead covered on this journey (with much more to come). I am once again blown away at how much this band feel unforced, not in a rush, just playing what they want as well as you can ever ask a band to do so. These songs are all amazing and pack a great punch despite the laid back atmosphere. Perhaps for me it is that with the Grateful Dead there is so much going on and so many things to hear that it becomes a huge treat just to focus on what Jerry is doing. Either way this release is tops so far in the JGB live releases with many more to go.

Night 1: Mystery Train, Russian Lullaby, That’s What Love Will Make You Do, Stir It Up, Simple Twist of Fate, The Way You Do The Things You Do, Catfish John, Friend of the Devil, Don’t Let Go, The Night They Drive Old Dixie Down

Night 2: They Love Each Other, I Second That Emotion, Let Me Roll In It, The Harder They Come, Gomorrah, Tore Up Over You, Tangled Up in Blue, My Sisters and Brothers

PostPosted: Sat August 15, 2020 10:11 pm 
Fake NYC Setlist Relayer

Dick’s Picks Vol. 15 - Raceway, Englishtown, NJ 9/3/77

This show marked the return of the Grateful Dead after 3 months off following the car accident. To boot, it was played before an enormous crowd that you definitely get a little feel for, especially during He’s Gone. The Dead lived up the epic surroundings, delivering gem after gem throughout the show and across the sets. They Love Each Other, Mississippi Half-Step Uptown Toodleloo, Peggy-O, New Minglewood Blues, and The Music Never Stopped were all big time first set highlights.

The entire second set was just one big long highlight reel with the band firing on all cylinders, at least from my listen. The re-emergence of Truckin felt like there was no rust on that song. Terrapin Station to close was really quite strong, though almost exclusively focus on circling the main riff. I would mention others from the second set, like a great Eyes of the World but then I would just be listing out the set list on this show like...

Set 1: Promised Land, They Love Each Other, Me & My Uncle, Mississippi Half-Step Uptown Toodleloo, Looks Like Rain, Peggy-O, New Minglewood Blues, Friend of the Devil, The Music Never Stopped

Set 2: Bertha, Good Lovin’, Loser, Estimated Prophet, Eyes of the World, Samson and Delilah, He’s Gone > Not Fade Away, Truckin’

Encore: Terrapin Station

PostPosted: Sat August 15, 2020 11:44 pm 
tl;dr

liebzz wrote:

This release is a mix of 2 shows on consecutive nights and a quick break from the extensive amount of ‘77 Dead covered on this journey (with much more to come). I am once again blown away at how much this band feel unforced, not in a rush, just playing what they want as well as you can ever ask a band to do so. These songs are all amazing and pack a great punch despite the laid back atmosphere. Perhaps for me it is that with the Grateful Dead there is so much going on and so many things to hear that it becomes a huge treat just to focus on what Jerry is doing. Either way this release is tops so far in the JGB live releases with many more to go.

Night 1: Mystery Train, Russian Lullaby, That’s What Love Will Make You Do, Stir It Up, Simple Twist of Fate, The Way You Do The Things You Do, Catfish John, Friend of the Devil, Don’t Let Go, The Night They Drive Old Dixie Down

Night 2: They Love Each Other, I Second That Emotion, Let Me Roll In It, The Harder They Come, Gomorrah, Tore Up Over You, Tangled Up in Blue, My Sisters and Brothers

This is the one JGB release I own, and I agree it's great. "Russian Lullaby" is just lovely.

PostPosted: Sun August 16, 2020 2:38 am 
Fake NYC Setlist Relayer

Kevin Davis wrote:
liebzz wrote:

This is the one JGB release I own, and I agree it's great. "Russian Lullaby" is just lovely.

There’s something about it being unrushed and uncomplicated that just makes it really special.

PostPosted: Mon August 17, 2020 2:13 pm 
Fake NYC Setlist Relayer

Dick’s Picks Vol. 34 (Part 1) - Community War Memorial, Rochester, NY 11/5/77

Due to the sequencing on the second and third disc, where the show a few nights before in Toronto is sort of weaved in and out rather than running straight through the Rochester show - I listened to this out of the order of the discs and in the order of the 11/5 show itself.

The first set is very strong at this show and makes up for what mostly feels like a lackluster second set (could be why the track listing was done the way it was?). The top two songs on the set are both quite excellent in New Minglewood Blues and Mississippi Half-Step Uptown Toodleloo. As per usual, Looks Like Rain sort of kills that momentum, but glad to see them throw in Dire Wolf - though not as good a version as those early 70s versions that made this song one of my favorites. The other highlights from this set include a strong Candyman, Jack Straw, and Deal to close out the set.

The second set continues in what sounds like frustration from the band with the crowd, particularly as it concerns giving people enough space. Eyes of the World here seemed pretty good though not their best. Same goes for Samson and Delilah though you can hear a fan telling his buddy “it’s Samson and Delilah!” more than once - might have been me at any number of Pearl Jam shows I guess. He’s Gone is always a great song though this is the second show in a row where it is starting to feel a little like a caricature of its former self. Really the big highlight in set 2 is Black Peter which was played quite well and felt pretty fresh (at least I hadn’t heard it in a while).

Set 1: New Minglewood Blues, Mississippi Half-Step Uptown Toodleloo, Looks Like Rain, Dire Wolf, Mama Tried, Big River, Candyman, Jack Straw, Deal

Set 2: Eyes of the World, Samson and Delilah, It Must Have Been the Roses, Estimated Prophet, He’s Gone > Rhythm Devils > The Other One > Black Peter, Sugar Magnolia

Encore: One More Saturday Night

PostPosted: Mon August 17, 2020 2:48 pm 
Fake NYC Setlist Relayer

Dick’s Picks Vol. 34 (Part 2) - selections from Seneca College, Toronto, ONT 11/2/77

The about half hour or so from this show that was added to this release is probably my favorite part of this live release. Supplication is really strong, Might As Well sounded great, Estimated Prophet has to be one of my favorites so far as they really pushed that song around nicely. St. Stephen was relatively straight forward, as was Truckin’ though it sounded really good. Around and Around is a nice way (out of order) to finish listening to this one, as there’s lot of great energy in this, particularly the second half of the song.

Selections: Lazy Lightning > Supplication, Might As Well, Estimated Prophet, St. Stephen, Truckin’, Around and Around

PostPosted: Tue August 18, 2020 12:32 pm 
Future Drummer

Listening to Dave's Picks Volume 33: DeKalb, IL 10/29/77 currently, really strong out of the gate.

Last edited by oasisfan35 on Tue August 18, 2020 2:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Tue August 18, 2020 2:09 pm 
Fake NYC Setlist Relayer

I am in the midst of Dicks Picks 10 - Winterland 12/29/77 - first set is stunning so far.

PostPosted: Tue August 18, 2020 3:46 pm 
Future Drummer

liebzz wrote:
I am in the midst of Dicks Picks 10 - Winterland 12/29/77 - first set is stunning so far.

My fav china rider therein

Have you considered stacking papers and getting paid?

PostPosted: Tue August 18, 2020 9:44 pm 
Fake NYC Setlist Relayer

Dick’s Picks Vol. 10 (Part 1) - Winterland Arena, San Francisco, CA 12/29/77

This first part of this review focuses on the 12/29 show with the bonus songs from the next night in a separate post since I want to be sure to keep the memory fresh. I had some concern listening to the Rochester that maybe this is starting to get old for me since I walked away from that a but unenthusiastic. That is immediately remedied by this release, which I start by covering most of the show from Winterland on 12/29. 2 songs were missing from the second set in the release.

The first set is just absolute fire. This was my favorite Jack Straw yet and the intensity never seemed to let up. Even Looks Like Rain, which I typically want to take a virtual pee break, is really engaging. Loser, Tennessee Jed, and New Minglewood Blues (which is currently trending into one of my favorite of their live songs) are all highlights until they get overshadowed by a truly awesome Sugaree. Promised Land has some great energy to close that first set.

Set 2 Picks right up where we left off with a great Bertha into Good Lovin’. Yes, Playing in the Band drags after the first four minutes, but it all sorts of works into this show’s biggest pay off - China Cat Sunflower > I Know You Rider which was on the shelf for a few years and you can hear the band pick up the fans here, then the fans pick up the band in one of those moments that builds into some high energy and epic performances. Best moment of the show for sure. Terrapin Station here is really great also, and really seems to have come into its own live. This was a good faith renewed show for me, and brought back a lot of the enthusiasm for this journey that may have been slowly fading. I’ll keep truckin’.

Set 1: Jack Straw, They Love Each Other, Mama Tried, Loser, Looks Like Rain, Tennessee Jed, New Minglewood Blues, Sugaree, Promised Land

Set 2: Bertha > Good Lovin’, (missing), (missing), Playing in the Band > China Cat Sunflower > I Know You Rider > China Doll > Jam > Not Fade Away > Playing in the Band

Encore: Terrapin Station, Johnny B. Goode

Part 2 next...

PostPosted: Tue August 18, 2020 11:05 pm 
tl;dr

super nintendo chalmers wrote:
liebzz wrote:

My fav china rider therein

I'm partial to the big jam version that kicks off Dick's 12 - 6/26/74. That one goes to some wild places.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 833 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28 ... 42  Next

Board index » Word on the Street » Other Bands