The board's server will undergo upgrade maintenance tonight, Nov 5, 2014, beginning approximately around 10 PM ET. Prepare for some possible down time during this process.
FAQ    Search

Board index » Word on the Street » Other Bands

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 833 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34 ... 42  Next
 Post subject: Re: Grateful Dead
PostPosted: Sat October 03, 2020 5:01 pm 
tl;dr

I plan to go back through these reviews and check out some of the JGB releases, which I've never really dug into despite enjoying the Dead more and more through the years. Thanks for including those in the journey.

I really like the '89 Download Series -- not sure these are the best versions or anything, but this is where I turn for a lot of the Built to Last material ("Foolish Heart," "Victim or the Crime," "Built to Last" -- for better or worse these are my go-to versions of these tunes). Another unexpected highlight is the "El Paso" from 4/3 -- in an era where Weir seems to be getting increasingly shouty, this version feels atypically gentle and pretty.

'89 is a strong year. The band is tight and the shows are fun and lively. This period of Dead is not unlike modern Pearl Jam in that a thing that used to feel organic and insular gradually found it's way into stadiums and became more celebratory and structured. The '89-'90 period is a kind of zenith of that approach, before things gradually start coming apart...

PostPosted: Sat October 03, 2020 9:22 pm 
Fake NYC Setlist Relayer

Yeah I agree with that assessment 100%.

I will be hanging around 89 for a little while so more to come.

PostPosted: Tue October 06, 2020 1:28 pm 
Future Drummer

89-90 is fantastic. Miami 89 is one of my favs with an otherworldly second set. Very dark, creepy vibe. Great first hand accounts from Archive reviews:

Quote:
“1 finger bag of psylisibin taken in first moments of show - shitty seats in the back - moved with my friend and fellow tripee to balcony (rail) - just as drums began for solo into “Space”. mushroom started deepest peak - just then SHE, I DIDN’T KNOW WHO, PUT A FIRM AND READY LEFT HAND ON MY SHOULDER AS DID SHE ON THE RIGHT UPON MY FELLOW TRIPEE’S SHOULDER AND WITH A LOUD AND EXCITED YELL DECLARED: “YEAH, YEAH, I GOT IT, I GOT IT”, AS THIS AVERAGE SIZED DEAD HEAD DAMSEL TO OUR SHOCK AND WONDERMENT LEAPED AND CLEARED OVER US AND THIS BREAST-HIGH RAIL INTO THE SMOKEFILLED ABYSS OF THE MIAMI ARENA ‘SPACE’ - PLUMMETING 40 FEET ONTO THE ABSTRACT BLOBBULAR UNDULATION {the crowd) BELOW (by the way, she survived with only a broken leg).”

Quote:
“I was dosed outta my mind but to hear this 2nd set was a grateful treat.At the tail end of a killer Fall Tour this was the icing on the cake so to speak, this 2nd set was a monster, the Estimated to kick things off was a real surprise and the Dark Star was really DARK and scary!!!! this is an evil GD playing evil muisc which they were capable of doing from time to time. All I know is I wound up in Key West the next day still tripping my balls off and swiming with dolphins..ahhh those were the days!”

Quote:
“I was at this show and it was extremely edgy. We watched many a pastel colored yuppie suck down frozen mixed drinks, oblivious to the seriousness of the first set. By the time Drums was hitting us, these poor folks were literally crawling up the aisles, covered in their own sick, trying to get out of the cauldron. A bizarre sight, but I am sure if had been partaking of anything psychoactive that night, I would have been right down there with them.”

Have you considered stacking papers and getting paid?

PostPosted: Tue October 06, 2020 1:37 pm 
Fake NYC Setlist Relayer

Download Series Vol. 9 (Part 2): Civic Arena, Pittsburgh, PA 4/3/89

The second night here is another solid show, similar in quality to night 1 with some of the highlights being the new songs played. Unfortunately on this one, Jerry’s voice is tired and raw, and I think he ceded a lot of the vocal duties and crafted a set list to limit his singing in favor of Weir and Mydland. Weir does sound great on this night. The first set features really strong versions of Walking Blues, Jac-A-Roe, El Paso, Victim or the Crime, and Don’t Ease Me In. Really they flew through that set. The second set featured some more of Jerry, but the real highlights were Drums/Space into Gimme Some Lovin’, and it was great to hear Stella Blue, which does not suffer from Jerry’s voice sounding shot and in some places actually added to the songs atmosphere. A very good Sugar Magnolia closes out set 2. The encore (heard out of order) of Johnny B. Goode and Black Muddy River was quite good.

Set 1: Greatest Story Ever Told, Bertha, Walking Blues, Jack-A-Roe, El Paso, Built to Last, Victim or the Crime, Just Like Tom Thumb’s Blues, Don’t Ease Me In

Set 2: Blow Away, Estimated Prophet > Crazy Fingers > Uncle John’s Band > Drums > Space > Gimme Some Lovin’ > I Need a Miracle > Stella Blue > Sugar Magnolia

Encore: Johnny B. Goode, Black Muddy River

PostPosted: Tue October 06, 2020 1:37 pm 
Fake NYC Setlist Relayer

Download Series Vol. 9 (Part 2): Civic Arena, Pittsburgh, PA 4/3/89

The second night here is another solid show, similar in quality to night 1 with some of the highlights being the new songs played. Unfortunately on this one, Jerry’s voice is tired and raw, and I think he ceded a lot of the vocal duties and crafted a set list to limit his singing in favor of Weir and Mydland. Weir does sound great on this night. The first set features really strong versions of Walking Blues, Jac-A-Roe, El Paso, Victim or the Crime, and Don’t Ease Me In. Really they flew through that set. The second set featured some more of Jerry, but the real highlights were Drums/Space into Gimme Some Lovin’, and it was great to hear Stella Blue, which does not suffer from Jerry’s voice sounding shot and in some places actually added to the songs atmosphere. A very good Sugar Magnolia closes out set 2. The encore (heard out of order) of Johnny B. Goode and Black Muddy River was quite good.

Set 1: Greatest Story Ever Told, Bertha, Walking Blues, Jack-A-Roe, El Paso, Built to Last, Victim or the Crime, Just Like Tom Thumb’s Blues, Don’t Ease Me In

Set 2: Blow Away, Estimated Prophet > Crazy Fingers > Uncle John’s Band > Drums > Space > Gimme Some Lovin’ > I Need a Miracle > Stella Blue > Sugar Magnolia

Encore: Johnny B. Goode, Black Muddy River

PostPosted: Tue October 06, 2020 9:55 pm 
Fake NYC Setlist Relayer

Jerry Garcia Band - Electric on the Eel (Part 2): Pierce, CA 6/10/89

In part 2 of the Electric on the Eel set, we get a damn good show. Jerry’s voice is still struggling some (better than the 4/3 dead show I just covered), but he’s got back up singers to help out and it works just fine. The first set was really good, with a great opening of I’ll Take a Melody. Other highlights included solid Get Out of My Life Woman, a beautiful Mission in the Rain, a slightly but perfectly extended Run for the Roses, and an epic Deal - one of the tops for me.

Set 2 features a straight up amazing I Shall Be Released, with an equally great Think, Don’t Let Go, Evangeline, That Lucky Old Sun, and Tangled Up in Blue (that ending hot damn!). This is a set certainly worth checking out.

Set 1: I’ll Take a Melody, They Love Each Other, Get Out of My Life Woman, Run for the Roses, Stop That Train, Mission in the Rain, My Sisters and Brothers, Deal

Set 2: The Harder They Come, Waiting for a Miracle, I Shall Be Released, Think, I Hope It Won’t Be This Way Always, Don’t Let Go, Evangeline, That Lucky Old Sun, Tangled Up in Blue

PostPosted: Wed October 07, 2020 4:07 pm 
Fake NYC Setlist Relayer

Crimson, White & Indigo: JFK Stadium, Philadelphia, PA 7/7/89

Catching one more Dead show before jumping into a late summer/early autumn dive in JGB (will come back to the Dead fall 89 tour - I promised this would take a while), I happen to hit upon a great Dead show. The band was in great form, Jerry sounded great and everything came together for this one. The first set was rollicking and they plowed through Hell in a Bucket, Iko Iko, and Little Red Rooster to start things off predictably but no less strong. Ramble on Rose was really great, and as Stuck Inside of Mobile... progressed it kept getting better. Follow that with Loser and the best Blow Away so far and we have a helluva first set.

Set 2 pushed things further. Though really a mediocre Box of Rain started things, a perfect Scarlet/Fire into Estimated Prophet will clear things right up. The close out after Space (The Other One > Wharf Rat > Turn On Your Lovelight) is a big part of what makes the Dead so tremendous. The encore of Knockin’ on Heaven’s Door is a nice way to end this 3 hour show.

Set 1: Hell in a Bucket, Iko Iko, Little Red Rooster, Ramble on Rose, Stuck Inside of Mobile With the Memphis Blues Again, Loser, Let It Grow > Blow Away

Set 2: Box of Rain, Scarlet Begonias > Fire on the Mountain > Estimated Prophet > Standing on the Moon > Drums > Space > The Other One > Wharf Rat > Turn On Your Lovelight

Encore: Knockin on Heaven’s Door

PostPosted: Wed October 07, 2020 7:49 pm 
Fake NYC Setlist Relayer

Jerry Garcia Band - PureJerry: Merriweather Post Pavillion, Columbia, MD 9/1/89 (Part 1)

Next up is a string of shows in September 1989 with JGB. Night 1 in Columbia, MD is a real good one, though as you may be able to tell, the song selection is in the same general area as other recent shows (the next night, which I will listen to next only repeats one song from this one). For a sense of the true highlights, set 1 boasts an awesome Get Out of My Life Woman, a wonderful Like a Road Leading Home, and another exceptional Deal. Set 2’s top winners were Think (as always - easily one of the best JGB did live), Lucky Old Sun, Tangled Up in Blue, and Mission in the Rain. This one was very easy to take down.

Set 1: How Sweet It Is, Stop That Train, Get Out of My Life Woman, Run For the Roses, Like a Road Leading Home, My Sisters and Brothers, Deal

Set 2: The Harder They Come, Mission in the Rain, Think, Mississippi Moon, Waiting for a Miracle, Lucky Old Sun, Tangled Up in Blue

PostPosted: Thu October 08, 2020 5:15 am 
for those who
are not...shall be

This is what I do

I tell Alexa to play "wharfrat".

Don't worry, it'll be live.

Then I just shut up and listen

That is what I do

PostPosted: Thu October 08, 2020 1:13 pm 
Fake NYC Setlist Relayer

knee tunes wrote:
This is what I do

I tell Alexa to play "wharfrat".

Don't worry, it'll be live.

Then I just shut up and listen

That is what I do

Yes

PostPosted: Thu October 08, 2020 1:21 pm 
Fake NYC Setlist Relayer

Jerry Garcia Band - Pure Jerry: Merriweather Post Pavilion, Columbia, MD 9/2/89 (Part 2)

Night 2 has a nearly completely different set but is the prior night’s equal in really excellent quality playing. The second set here is epic and ultimately blows away anything else in this 2 night stand. The first set though is also very good. I’ll Take a Melody sounded great, as did That’s What Love Will Make You Do, Forever Young, Knockin on Heaven’s Door, and Midnight Moonlight, which stood well despite the song previously really being anchored by Donna Godcheaux in the prior iterations of JGB.

The show really comes alive though in the second set. Cats Under the Stars was a good start, but it really goes to a totally different level of amazing from Simple Twist of Fate through the end of the show - big time epic jams, Jerry and Melvin Seals both on fire, some crazy bass lines, all with that amazing JGB chemistry where nothing ever seems out of place. That last 45 minutes just insane.

Set 1: I’ll Take a Melody, They Love Each Other, Forever Young, That’s What Love Will Make You Do, Knockin on Heaven’s Door, And It Stoned Me, Midnight Moonlight

Set 2: Cats Under the Stars, Waiting for a Miracle, Simple Twist of Fate, Evangeline, The Night They Drove Old Dixie Down, Don’t Let Go

PostPosted: Thu October 08, 2020 4:58 pm 
Future Drummer

liebzz wrote:
Jerry Garcia Band - Pure Jerry: Merriweather Post Pavilion, Columbia, MD 9/2/89 (Part 2)

Night 2 has a nearly completely different set but is the prior night’s equal in really excellent quality playing. The second set here is epic and ultimately blows away anything else in this 2 night stand. The first set though is also very good. I’ll Take a Melody sounded great, as did That’s What Love Will Make You Do, Forever Young, Knockin on Heaven’s Door, and Midnight Moonlight, which stood well despite the song previously really being anchored by Donna Godcheaux in the prior iterations of JGB.

The show really comes alive though in the second set. Cats Under the Stars was a good start, but it really goes to a totally different level of amazing from Simple Twist of Fate through the end of the show - big time epic jams, Jerry and Melvin Seals both on fire, some crazy bass lines, all with that amazing JGB chemistry where nothing ever seems out of place. That last 45 minutes just insane.

Set 1: I’ll Take a Melody, They Love Each Other, Forever Young, That’s What Love Will Make You Do, Knockin on Heaven’s Door, And It Stoned Me, Midnight Moonlight

Set 2: Cats Under the Stars, Waiting for a Miracle, Simple Twist of Fate, Evangeline, The Night They Drove Old Dixie Down, Don’t Let Go

Scorcher.

I didn't end up playing anything, but for a minute I really wanted to play that version of Forever Young at my mother's funeral.

Have you considered stacking papers and getting paid?

PostPosted: Thu October 08, 2020 7:51 pm 
Fake NYC Setlist Relayer

super nintendo chalmers wrote:
liebzz wrote:

Scorcher.

I didn't end up playing anything, but for a minute I really wanted to play that version of Forever Young at my mother's funeral.

One of the best JGB shows so far for me.

PostPosted: Thu October 08, 2020 8:02 pm 
Fake NYC Setlist Relayer

Fall 1989 The Long Island Sound (Part 1): Jerry Garcia Band and Weir/Wasserman - 9/5/89

This is a fascinating release because it is 2 shows over two nights with 2 totally different acts - kind of like getting the whole show with the opening band. Pretty cool really. Weir/Wasserman was first and the acoustic guitar/bass duo puts on a good show. Of note is the opener Festival, Desolation Row, Victim or the Crime (sounded great here), and the Throwing Stones closer. For JGB, this was yet another exceptional show on the fall tour. Cats opened and was great. Like a Road was wonderful. But nothing in this show could compare to the Deal GOAT. I mean, holy crap did Jerry play the hell outta that. Worth it for that song alone.

Into the second set and another amazing Mission in the Rain, Forever Young, Evangeline, Don’t Let Go (not quite the 18 min monster from a few nights before but still fantastic) and set closer Lonesome and a Long Way From Home. Looking forward to the next night if this is any indication.

Weir/Wasserman Set: Festival, Fever, KC Moan, Desolation Row, Looks Like Rain, The Winners, Victim or the Crime, Wasserman jam, Throwing Stones

JGB Set 1: Cats Under the Stars, They Love Each Other, Waiting for a Miracle, Run for the Roses, Like a Road, My Sisters and Brothers, Deal

JGB Set 2: The Harder They Come, Mission in the Rain, Forever Young, Evangeline, Gomorrah, Don’t Let Go, Lonesome and a Long Way From Home

PostPosted: Fri October 09, 2020 9:49 pm 
Fake NYC Setlist Relayer

Jerry Garcia Band & Weir/Wasserman - Fall 1989: The Long Island Sound (Part 2) 9/6/89

Night 2 was another glorious evening for this pairing. Weir/Wasserman sound even better. The big highlights were the acoustic blues of Walking Blues, a cover of Blackbird, a beautiful When I Paint My Masterpiece, and the jammy finale of Easy to Slip through Heaven Help the Fool.

For JGB, they are still in more than fine form. In the first set a great That’s What Love Will Make You Do and a truly epic Deal (almost as good as the night before) are the big highlights. Set 2 has a truly powerful Dear Prudence that transcends the moment in the jam lead by Jerry, Let it Rock, That Lucky Old Sun, and a Tangled Up in Blue again for the ages. Jerry Garcia and Melvin Seals in particular were really in a good space both nights but Seals more so for me on this night.

Weir/Wasserman set: Walking Blues, City Girls, Fever, Blackbird, When I Paint My Masterpiece, Shade of Grey, The Winners, Easy to Slip, jam, Heaven Help the Fool

JGB set 1: How Sweet It Is, Stop That Train, That’s What Love Will Make You Do, Mississippi Moon, I Second That Emotion, And It Stoned Me, Deal

JGB set 2: The Harder They Come, Dear Prudence, I Shall Be Released, Let It Rock, Evangeline, That Lucky Old Sun, Tangled Up in Blue

PostPosted: Sat October 10, 2020 6:09 pm 
Fake NYC Setlist Relayer

Jerry Garcia Band - GarciaLive Vol. 13: Poplar Creek Music Theatre 9/16/89

They made a change uptown and the Big Man joined the band. For this final stop on the 12 date JGB fall tour, Clarence Clemons guested on sax for the entire show (he had jumped in a few other times across the tour). Folks, this is the absolute apex of JGB. The three-headed lead attack of Jerry Garcia, Melvin Seals, and Clarence Clemons throughout the show is utterly spectacular, and leads to epic jams and interchanges on every song. Clarence’s playing clearly inspired Jerry to up his game in this show, with Seals following directly behind. They absolutely kill it from start to finish. I Shall Be Released never sounded more soulful, Dear Prudence an absolute stunner, Think at its best as is Evangeline, and Tangled Uo in Blue...but really every song is a standout here. This is my favorite JGB show thus far, missing only that epic throw down in Deal the week before...otherwise perfection and truly thrilling.

Set 1: Cats Under the Stars, They Love Each Other, Let It Rock, I Shall Be Released, Someday Baby, Dear Prudence, Let’s Spend the Night Together

Set 2: How Sweet It Is, Knockin on Heaven’s Door, Think, Waiting for a Miracle, Evangeline, The Night They Drove Old Dixie Down, Tangled Up in Blue

PostPosted: Tue October 13, 2020 7:55 pm 
Fake NYC Setlist Relayer

Formerly the Warlocks: Hampton, VA 10/8/89 (Part 1)

This set is a two night stand in Hampton, VA. The first of the shows is a good one, though they sort of seemed stuck in neutral until the end of the first set, finally breaking through with Promised Land. From there, the show takes off and there’s fire from Help on the Way straight through the end of the show. I means, they just mail one great song after the next, including the best Eyes of the World I can remember hearing in quite a while, a great Franklin’s Tower, The Wheel, Gimme Some Lovin’, and a great (no MSG of course) Morning Dew.

Set 1: Foolish Heart, Walk-in’ Blues, Candyman, Me and My Uncle > Big River, Stagger Lee, Queen Jane Approximately, Bird Song, Promised Land

Set 2: Help on the Way > Slipknot! > Franklin’s Tower > Victim or the Crime > Eyes of the World > Drums > Space > I Need a Miracle > The Wheel > Gimme Some Lovin > Morning Dew, We Bid You Goodnight

PostPosted: Wed October 14, 2020 2:42 pm 
Fake NYC Setlist Relayer

Formerly the Warlocks: Hampton, VA 10/9/89 (Part 2)

In the second show, it picks up right where we left off the night before and there’s really only two words to sum up this show: holy sh!t. The first set is absolutely killer. The née songs here blend perfectly with the older selections, and nearly every song is just hit perfectly. It’s hard not to talk about the first half of that first set because it’s so good, but the band just totally picks it up even further and destroys Stuck Inside of Mobile..., Row Jimmy, and the best The Music Never Stopped that I can remember. This is a band on a mission for this show.

And as great as set 1 was, set 2 is just completely insanely great. Playing in the Band/Uncle John’s Band hits the perfect note to start, but then they roll into Dark Star and things just get crazy. I would say going into the second jam on this one, things got real foreboding and dark and the band held it through that jam, Drums/Space and through an absolutely epic Death Don’t Have No Mercy - probably among the best 45 minutes of live rock music I can ever recall hearing. Things don’t even drop (though take a less morose turn) as they pulled into Dear Mr. Fantasy/Hey Jude, Throwing Stones, and the needed levity in Good Lovin’. A nice little encore of Attics of My Life closes the night out perfectly. Folks, run to your computer/CD player/what have you, and check this thing out!

Set 1: Feel Like a Stranger, Built to Last, Little Red Rooster, Ramble on Rose, We Can Run, Jack-A-Roe, Stuck Inside of Mobile With the Memphis Blues Again, Row Jimmy, The Music Never Stopped

Set 2: Playing in the Band > Uncle John’s Band > Playing in the Band > Dark Star > Drums > Space > Death Don’t Have No Mercy > Dear Mr. Fantasy > Hey Jude > Throwing Stones > Good Lovin’

Encore: Attics of My Life

PostPosted: Thu October 15, 2020 11:25 am 
Fake NYC Setlist Relayer

Nightfall of Diamonds: Meadowlands Arena, East Rutherford, NJ 10/16/89

By crazy coincidence, I listened to this show on the day I turned 42. In this show, the band momentarily stops to pay recognize Bob Weir’s birthday, who turned 42 on that day. The band seemed in good form, though not reaching the heights of the show the week before in Hampton. This one makes for a solid release, but not much beyond that to say.

Set 1: Picasso Moon, Mississippi Half Step Uptown Toodleloo, Feel Like a Stranger, Never Trust a Woman, Built to Last, Stuck Inside of Mobile With the Memphis Blues Again, Let It Grow, Deal

Set 2: Dark Star > Playing in the Band > Uncle John’s Band > Jam > Drums > Space > I Will Take You Home > I Need a Miracle > Dark Star > Attics of My Life > Playing in the Band

Encore: We Bid You Goodnight

PostPosted: Thu October 15, 2020 11:46 am 
Future Drummer

‘Dave’s Picks Volume 36’ Features Hartford 1987 Concerts

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 833 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34 ... 42  Next

Board index » Word on the Street » Other Bands