The board's server will undergo upgrade maintenance tonight, Nov 5, 2014, beginning approximately around 10 PM ET. Prepare for some possible down time during this process.
FAQ    Search

Board index » Word on the Street » Other Bands




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 789 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 36, 37, 38, 39, 40  Next
Author Message
 Post subject: Re: Grateful Dead
PostPosted: Sun August 29, 2021 5:59 pm 
Offline
User avatar
Future Drummer
 Profile

Joined: Sat January 05, 2013 9:37 am
Posts: 2751
i got bugs wrote:
WCT did you make that one on spotify?


No, just here on my hard drive in FLAC.


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Grateful Dead
PostPosted: Mon August 30, 2021 1:53 am 
Offline
User avatar
for those who
are not...shall be
 Profile

Joined: Sat January 05, 2013 7:30 am
Posts: 16375
Location: here
i got bugs wrote:
Hershey show was good last night.. set wise it wasn't as good as the couple before.. but whatever, still a good set.. mainly the 2nd set

I never saw so many people at that stadium.. I thought gnr brought in the biggest crowd there until last night..

Place is the worst venue on planet earth tho. Every time they try their best to inconvenience everyone in every way possible.. I always swear I'll never return but it's so close to me


I kinda liked it. Security was nowhere to be found. Most venues try to scram people in the aisles . The seats were ridiculously close tho on the floor

John Mayer added a very cool dimension to the songs, especially those he sang

You're right bugs, set-list wise was not as good, but what they played, they played good. I never knew I liked Easy Answers so much until last night lol

Drums sounded liked shotguns. Wtf

I thought Bob was forgetting words until someone informed me they were doing some songs different. Idk, maybe that person was making shit up :haha:

_________________
Rangi Guy wrote:
but her call.....and the salmon


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Grateful Dead
PostPosted: Mon August 30, 2021 8:40 pm 
Offline
User avatar
Posting (live)
 Profile

Joined: Tue January 01, 2013 11:28 pm
Posts: 19324
Location: Space City
Man, those Europe '72 show encores sync perfectly with like an hour's worth of running. You get a show with a good stretch of NFAs and Other Ones and the momentum just gibes perfectly with your route. Got 6 miles today with this sequence from London 5.26.72

"China Cat Sunflower"
"I Know You Rider"
"Not Fade Away"
"Goin' Down the Road Feeling Bad"
"Not Fade Away"
"Truckin'"
"The Other One"
"Drums"
"The Other One"
"Morning Dew"

Things got weird on miles 5 and 6, then Morning Dew for the post run stretching was a perfect comedown.

You with me, liebz?

_________________
E.H. Ruddock wrote:
Some of you need to be willing to open your palate up a little bit and stop thinking of things as gross.


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Grateful Dead
PostPosted: Mon August 30, 2021 11:54 pm 
Offline
Rank This Poster
 Profile

Joined: Thu January 03, 2013 7:55 pm
Posts: 3922
100%!! I ran to the Dead all the time last summer and some this summer. I mean, set 1 is usually what I like to run to because it’s typically perfectly synched with the ebb and flow of my running (high energy but controlled to start with ups and downs in the energy level throughout). I have run to set 2s, and have had a few where I only ran to one or two songs. Still works.

I could easily make the argument they are the best band to run to because it is easy to sort of get into a meditation while listening and you lose track of where you are in the run. Perfect running band that you would think would be more challenging.


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Grateful Dead
PostPosted: Tue August 31, 2021 1:43 am 
Offline
User avatar
Future Drummer
 Profile

Joined: Wed January 02, 2013 4:07 pm
Posts: 3467
knee tunes wrote:
i got bugs wrote:
Hershey show was good last night.. set wise it wasn't as good as the couple before.. but whatever, still a good set.. mainly the 2nd set

I never saw so many people at that stadium.. I thought gnr brought in the biggest crowd there until last night..

Place is the worst venue on planet earth tho. Every time they try their best to inconvenience everyone in every way possible.. I always swear I'll never return but it's so close to me


I kinda liked it. Security was nowhere to be found. Most venues try to scram people in the aisles . The seats were ridiculously close tho on the floor

John Mayer added a very cool dimension to the songs, especially those he sang

You're right bugs, set-list wise was not as good, but what they played, they played good. I never knew I liked Easy Answers so much until last night lol

Drums sounded liked shotguns. Wtf

I thought Bob was forgetting words until someone informed me they were doing some songs different. Idk, maybe that person was making shit up :haha:


I just hate how getting in the place n getting a beer is a gigantic clusterfuck every single time you go there

Security was very cool tho surprisingly for a change


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Grateful Dead
PostPosted: Tue August 31, 2021 2:02 am 
Offline
User avatar
Posting (live)
 Profile

Joined: Tue January 01, 2013 11:28 pm
Posts: 19324
Location: Space City
liebzz wrote:
100%!! I ran to the Dead all the time last summer and some this summer. I mean, set 1 is usually what I like to run to because it’s typically perfectly synched with the ebb and flow of my running (high energy but controlled to start with ups and downs in the energy level throughout). I have run to set 2s, and have had a few where I only ran to one or two songs. Still works.

I could easily make the argument they are the best band to run to because it is easy to sort of get into a meditation while listening and you lose track of where you are in the run. Perfect running band that you would think would be more challenging.

we forgot about the time...

_________________
E.H. Ruddock wrote:
Some of you need to be willing to open your palate up a little bit and stop thinking of things as gross.


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Grateful Dead
PostPosted: Thu September 02, 2021 2:53 pm 
Offline
User avatar
Future Drummer
 Profile

Joined: Tue January 01, 2013 7:47 pm
Posts: 2241
i got bugs wrote:
knee tunes wrote:
i got bugs wrote:
Hershey show was good last night.. set wise it wasn't as good as the couple before.. but whatever, still a good set.. mainly the 2nd set

I never saw so many people at that stadium.. I thought gnr brought in the biggest crowd there until last night..

Place is the worst venue on planet earth tho. Every time they try their best to inconvenience everyone in every way possible.. I always swear I'll never return but it's so close to me


I kinda liked it. Security was nowhere to be found. Most venues try to scram people in the aisles . The seats were ridiculously close tho on the floor

John Mayer added a very cool dimension to the songs, especially those he sang

You're right bugs, set-list wise was not as good, but what they played, they played good. I never knew I liked Easy Answers so much until last night lol

Drums sounded liked shotguns. Wtf

I thought Bob was forgetting words until someone informed me they were doing some songs different. Idk, maybe that person was making shit up :haha:


I just hate how getting in the place n getting a beer is a gigantic clusterfuck every single time you go there

Security was very cool tho surprisingly for a change


I got to hit Citi Field a few weeks ago, had a blast. Rolled my face off for the first time in over a year. Set was great, scene was fun, and security wasn't an issue. Had no idea that dude took a header until the next day.

I wanted to hit a few more shows (SPAC, Bethel, and Harford) but the logistics were tough. With this band, sometimes its good to walk away from the table up. The Fall Tour in 19 we did MSG and Nassau. Should of just stuck to MSG, the Nassau crowd was gnarly and not in a good way. Lucky we left a little early and missed the big bust. I really didn't want to spend the night locked up on Long Island over some balloons.

_________________
David Yow wrote:
How are Pearl Jam any different from Toto?


Have you considered stacking papers and getting paid?


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Grateful Dead
PostPosted: Fri September 03, 2021 4:10 am 
Offline
User avatar
Future Drummer
 Profile

Joined: Wed January 02, 2013 4:07 pm
Posts: 3467
Fuck balloons man never again


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Grateful Dead
PostPosted: Fri September 03, 2021 4:11 am 
Offline
User avatar
for those who
are not...shall be
 Profile

Joined: Sat January 05, 2013 7:30 am
Posts: 16375
Location: here
super nintendo chalmers wrote:
i got bugs wrote:
knee tunes wrote:
i got bugs wrote:
Hershey show was good last night.. set wise it wasn't as good as the couple before.. but whatever, still a good set.. mainly the 2nd set

I never saw so many people at that stadium.. I thought gnr brought in the biggest crowd there until last night..

Place is the worst venue on planet earth tho. Every time they try their best to inconvenience everyone in every way possible.. I always swear I'll never return but it's so close to me


I kinda liked it. Security was nowhere to be found. Most venues try to scram people in the aisles . The seats were ridiculously close tho on the floor

John Mayer added a very cool dimension to the songs, especially those he sang

You're right bugs, set-list wise was not as good, but what they played, they played good. I never knew I liked Easy Answers so much until last night lol

Drums sounded liked shotguns. Wtf

I thought Bob was forgetting words until someone informed me they were doing some songs different. Idk, maybe that person was making shit up :haha:


I just hate how getting in the place n getting a beer is a gigantic clusterfuck every single time you go there

Security was very cool tho surprisingly for a change


I got to hit Citi Field a few weeks ago, had a blast. Rolled my face off for the first time in over a year. Set was great, scene was fun, and security wasn't an issue. Had no idea that dude took a header until the next day.

I wanted to hit a few more shows (SPAC, Bethel, and Harford) but the logistics were tough. With this band, sometimes its good to walk away from the table up. The Fall Tour in 19 we did MSG and Nassau. Should of just stuck to MSG, the Nassau crowd was gnarly and not in a good way. Lucky we left a little early and missed the big bust. I really didn't want to spend the night locked up on Long Island over some balloons.



What the hell happens when you go to shows?

busts and gnarl and head-dives lol

_________________
Rangi Guy wrote:
but her call.....and the salmon


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Grateful Dead
PostPosted: Fri September 03, 2021 2:59 pm 
Offline
User avatar
Future Drummer
 Profile

Joined: Tue January 01, 2013 7:47 pm
Posts: 2241
NY is skelly! The crazy thing about Nassau in 19 was that it was during the week and supposedly the lot was jumpin from 2pm on. So every pill head in Nassau county descended. Night Lot is a different beast!

The Playin' opener from last night sounds great. They're in a nice little groove this tour.

_________________
David Yow wrote:
How are Pearl Jam any different from Toto?


Have you considered stacking papers and getting paid?


Last edited by super nintendo chalmers on Fri September 03, 2021 3:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Grateful Dead
PostPosted: Fri September 03, 2021 3:02 pm 
Offline
User avatar
The Master
 Profile

Joined: Tue January 01, 2013 3:48 pm
Posts: 46629
Location: Mountains
Funny enough im actually currently spinning this on my table:

Image

I dont care for jam bands. My brother got this for me because he thought I needed at least 1 dead record living in Colorado.

This is actually pretty good. ITs basically a rock n roll band or country band on acid. Not really "jam band"

Its nice.


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Grateful Dead
PostPosted: Fri September 03, 2021 3:03 pm 
Offline
User avatar
Future Drummer
 Profile

Joined: Tue January 01, 2013 7:47 pm
Posts: 2241
One of my fav Berthas is on that record. Wharf Rat too.

The leap from that album to Europe 72 is really something.

_________________
David Yow wrote:
How are Pearl Jam any different from Toto?


Have you considered stacking papers and getting paid?


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Grateful Dead
PostPosted: Fri September 03, 2021 3:06 pm 
Offline
User avatar
The Master
 Profile

Joined: Tue January 01, 2013 3:48 pm
Posts: 46629
Location: Mountains
ope, drum solo. This went south quickly....


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Grateful Dead
PostPosted: Fri September 03, 2021 3:12 pm 
Offline
Rank This Poster
 Profile

Joined: Thu January 03, 2013 7:55 pm
Posts: 3922
I feel like Skull & Roses is a great gateway live album. You don’t have to commit too much, plays like a solid first set. Europe ‘72 is bonkers great.

Agreed regarding Bertha and Wharf Rat.


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Grateful Dead
PostPosted: Fri September 03, 2021 3:17 pm 
Offline
User avatar
The Master
 Profile

Joined: Tue January 01, 2013 3:48 pm
Posts: 46629
Location: Mountains
The Other One - Can fuck right off. Luckily it takes up all of side 2 and i just cancelled that all together.


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Grateful Dead
PostPosted: Fri September 03, 2021 3:19 pm 
Offline
User avatar
Future Drummer
 Profile

Joined: Tue January 01, 2013 7:47 pm
Posts: 2241
Strat wrote:
The Other One - Can fuck right off. Luckily it takes up all of side 2 and i just cancelled that all together.


Yeah, TOO is not my fav part of that record at all.

_________________
David Yow wrote:
How are Pearl Jam any different from Toto?


Have you considered stacking papers and getting paid?


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Grateful Dead
PostPosted: Fri September 03, 2021 3:32 pm 
Offline
User avatar
Fake NYC Setlist Relayer
 Profile

Joined: Tue January 01, 2013 6:06 pm
Posts: 7605
super nintendo chalmers wrote:
Strat wrote:
The Other One - Can fuck right off. Luckily it takes up all of side 2 and i just cancelled that all together.


Yeah, TOO is not my fav part of that record at all.


"The Other One" became a beast in '72, but it's out of place on this record, which is a really sharp, polished representation of the Dead as a "song" band during this era. And the drum solo, not singled out as its own "Drums" track (which kinda didn't become a thing for them until later), is a bummer.

Strat, I genuinely think you'd love the Dead if you got into them via the right channels. If there are parts of this album you like I'd strongly recommend checking out Europe '72, which is similar to this album (a slightly studio-enhanced presentation of their live sound, with a focus on songs over extended jams, though not without small elements highlighting their improv skills), only with even better songs ("Brown Eyed Women," "Ramble On Rose," "He's Gone," "Tennessee Jed," "Jack Straw" -- damn!). Skull and Roses is a good album, and I totally agree with "Bertha" and "Wharf Rat" -- the highlights of this album for sure -- but Europe '72 was the one I really couldn't quit when I was first discovering the Dead (that and Live/Dead, though that one is definitely on the jammy side).


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Grateful Dead
PostPosted: Fri September 03, 2021 3:42 pm 
Offline
Rank This Poster
 Profile

Joined: Thu January 03, 2013 7:55 pm
Posts: 3922
Kevin Davis wrote:
super nintendo chalmers wrote:
Strat wrote:
The Other One - Can fuck right off. Luckily it takes up all of side 2 and i just cancelled that all together.


Yeah, TOO is not my fav part of that record at all.


"The Other One" became a beast in '72, but it's out of place on this record, which is a really sharp, polished representation of the Dead as a "song" band during this era. And the drum solo, not singled out as its own "Drums" track (which kinda didn't become a thing for them until later), is a bummer.

Strat, I genuinely think you'd love the Dead if you got into them via the right channels. If there are parts of this album you like I'd strongly recommend checking out Europe '72, which is similar to this album (a slightly studio-enhanced presentation of their live sound, with a focus on songs over extended jams, though not without small elements highlighting their improv skills), only with even better songs ("Brown Eyed Women," "Ramble On Rose," "He's Gone," "Tennessee Jed," "Jack Straw" -- damn!). Skull and Roses is a good album, and I totally agree with "Bertha" and "Wharf Rat" -- the highlights of this album for sure -- but Europe '72 was the one I really couldn't quit when I was first discovering the Dead (that and Live/Dead, though that one is definitely on the jammy side).

KD is exactly on the money. Live/Dead I think is good to go to once you have established a threshold for longer jams. Europe ‘72 is just great. I recall really loving Mr. Charlie here but can’t quite recall if it is specifically from Europe ‘72 or just the way they played it across that tour.


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Grateful Dead
PostPosted: Sun September 05, 2021 3:40 am 
Offline
User avatar
for those who
are not...shall be
 Profile

Joined: Sat January 05, 2013 7:30 am
Posts: 16375
Location: here
i got bugs wrote:
Fuck balloons man never again


:haha: you mean nitrous?

_________________
Rangi Guy wrote:
but her call.....and the salmon


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Grateful Dead
PostPosted: Sun September 05, 2021 4:01 pm 
Offline
User avatar
Future Drummer
 Profile

Joined: Wed January 02, 2013 4:07 pm
Posts: 3467
knee tunes wrote:
i got bugs wrote:
Fuck balloons man never again


:haha: you mean nitrous?


Yea


Top
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 789 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 36, 37, 38, 39, 40  Next

Board index » Word on the Street » Other Bands


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 8 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
It is currently Sun October 17, 2021 4:52 pm