The board's server will undergo upgrade maintenance tonight, Nov 5, 2014, beginning approximately around 10 PM ET. Prepare for some possible down time during this process.
FAQ    Search

Board index » Word on the Street » Other Bands

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 833 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 33, 34, 35, 36, 37, 38, 39 ... 42  Next
 Post subject: Re: Grateful Dead
PostPosted: Fri November 20, 2020 9:16 pm 
tl;dr

liebzz wrote:
Kevin Davis wrote:
In case liebzz wants to dive back in sooner rather than later, here are 110 of the Hunter's Trix shows in FLAC:
https://www.reddit.com/r/gratefuldead/c ... r_dropbox/

Jeezuz man! 110 shows!?

I have a few Dead errands - that show attached to the 50th Anniversary debut, and once it comes on Spotify, the show on the 50th Anniversary American Beauty are starters along with those ‘87 Hartford shows.

On a side note, I randomly heard again That’s It for the Other One from Fillmore West ‘69 - I was blown away all over again.

Of all the many things I listened to so far, I have to say Ladies and Gentlemen had to be my favorite. I can’t think of a single release in all of music that fits my taste better than that.

That is a truly fantastic release; it is one of my favorites too.

The Hunter's Trix series really heightened my appreciation for the post-1979 stuff -- not every matrix is great, but some of them are perfect (the Frost '82 shows I linked to earlier were from this series). Except for '89-'90, the Mydland era and beyond is not very well served by the official releases, so these shows really helped plug some gaps for me :thumbsup:

PostPosted: Sun December 06, 2020 9:29 pm 
Fake NYC Setlist Relayer

I listened to American Beauty again today, but the 50th Anniversary edition with the show from the Capitol Theatre from 2/18/71. Only in the first set so far but it sounds great. It Hurts Me Too was killer.

PostPosted: Tue February 23, 2021 9:17 pm 
Fake NYC Setlist Relayer

Less journey more fun: I popped in and listened through the first show of the Europe ‘72 tour - London, England 4/7/72. Maybe I listen to too many Pearl Jam shows but I was expecting them to be maybe a little tight or rusty heading into this in that kind of waking up and stretching their musical limbs - nope. This show was absolute fire. Pretty much nailed everything. I really like Chinatown Shuffle, the China > Rider here (it’s been a while since I heard a Dead show through), there was a real desperation in the character in Loser here that just caught me. Mr. Charlie was either an alternate arrangement or I just haven’t heard it in a real long time but it was really cool. Beat It on down the Line was spot on. Tennessee Jed was real solid. Playing in the Band before it became cumbersome. The whole second set here is perfect Dead. Anyway I highly recommend this, and look forward to continuing the tour as I can.

PostPosted: Wed February 24, 2021 7:03 pm 
Fake NYC Setlist Relayer

Listened to the next night today, even better than the first. This is 4/8/72 again in London. Next Time You See Me was really great, as was Deal, Mr. Charlie, Good Lovin’ (with Pigpen of course), Truckin’ Hurts Me Too...epic Dark Star into Sugar Magnolia... just a great set from start to finish. Nothing like jumping in again after a break and diving right into one of their peaks as a live band where you can hear them pulling more jazz elements out but still rooted in the blues. Love this band.

PostPosted: Sat March 06, 2021 3:22 pm 
Fake NYC Setlist Relayer

It took quite a few days because I just didn’t have a lot of time to listen this week but finished the third show on this tour at City Hall in Newcastle, England 4/11/72. Some of the setlist is sort of duplicative of the first two nights but I must say this is an impeccable setlist I’m this period where they dodge around playing blues, folk, and psychedelia and it all meshes perfectly. I again think of them almost as a jazz band jumping into these arenas and just nailing it time and again. This 3.5 hour show is great, and the second set just hits a run that just feels comprehensive of the experience (this show goes to level 10/10 starting with a double digit length Good Lovin’ with the Pigpen breakdowns, Ramble on Rose, then just bonkers in a run of Truckin’ > Drums > The Other One > Comes a Time, and then starts rattling off serious energy in Sugar Magnolia. Brokedown Palace and then an encore of One More Saturday Night closes this thing out).

PostPosted: Sun March 07, 2021 6:15 pm 
Future Drummer

liebzz wrote:
I listened to American Beauty again today, but the 50th Anniversary edition with the show from the Capitol Theatre from 2/18/71. Only in the first set so far but it sounds great. It Hurts Me Too was killer.

I think that 6-show run was multi-tracked.

Which is why they sound especially good.

But it's annoying that they just didn't realeae all 6 shows in a box like any other run.

Maybe they don't like some of the shows?

It's weird that you can only get 3 of the shows officially, with one of them a "From The Vault" release and the other two tossed off as "bonus material" for something else.

PostPosted: Sun March 07, 2021 7:53 pm 
Fake NYC Setlist Relayer

I’d throw down for a box of that possibly. Seems like a major peak for them, at least over those few years.

PostPosted: Mon March 08, 2021 2:04 am 
Future Drummer

liebzz wrote:
I’d throw down for a box of that possibly. Seems like a major peak for them, at least over those few years.

Nah. It was the start of a brand new period with a bunch of new songs and they were super tentative, which is probably why they haven't released the whole run.

That's the true beginning of a new era...not like the first London show you mentioned...which is probably just a continuation of the weeks of touring they did previous.

PostPosted: Mon March 08, 2021 2:28 am 
Fake NYC Setlist Relayer

Wendy Carlos's Twin wrote:
liebzz wrote:

Nah. It was the start of a brand new period with a bunch of new songs and they were super tentative, which is probably why they haven't released the whole run.

That's the true beginning of a new era...not like the first London show you mentioned...which is probably just a continuation of the weeks of touring they did previous.

The shows I am listening to right now are probably more closer to the end of an era. Really the last set of shows with Pigpen were in 72. I would have thought the new era started in late 69 early 70 when they were introducing the Workingman’s Dead songs.

PostPosted: Mon March 08, 2021 3:06 pm 
Fake NYC Setlist Relayer

Fourth show on the tour - Tivoli Concert Hall in Copenhagen Denmark 4/14/72. Another 3.5 hour show, and the main feature has to be a nearly 30 min Dark Star > Sugar Magnolia (weird transition but it worked) > Good Lovin’ > Caution (Do Not Stop on Tracks) > Good Lovin’ (another 30 minutes in the Good Lovin’ sequence with Caution). Just crazy jams going on there. The other 2.5 hours of this show were also great if not mostly straight forward for the Dead. Just great energy happening throughout and a killer setlist. It Hurts Me Too was excellent which was followed by the pair of Brown Eyed Women and a twangy Looks Like Rain which was maybe the best version yet since it always seemed like a snore to me when delivered as a straight ballad. It needs that twang!

PostPosted: Mon March 08, 2021 5:41 pm 
Future Drummer

4/8 is my fav Dark Star

Have you considered stacking papers and getting paid?

PostPosted: Thu March 25, 2021 5:36 pm 
Fake NYC Setlist Relayer

Just finished Vol. 5 finally. The whole show is Damn impressive. It feels like it was one set instead of two in large part because other than a really long Good Lovin’ and the Truckin’>Jam>The Other One>Me and My Uncle (weird in this spot)>The Other One, these are tight versions without a tremendous amount of straying. They were feeling moving from one to the next this night I guess. Still made for an excellent show. For those keeping track, this was Aarhus, Denmark 4/16/72.

PostPosted: Sat May 15, 2021 5:49 am 
for those who
are not...shall be

Dead & Company, whoever that is, are going on tour. You have to verify on Ticketmaster by Sunday night at whatever.
Whether or not you've been verified is verified Tuesday night goud willing and presale happens Wednesday morning at 10 am

PostPosted: Sat May 15, 2021 7:12 am 
Looks Like a Cat

I hope they play bird song

PostPosted: Sat May 15, 2021 1:02 pm 
Guys, I am not a moderator! I swear to God! Why does everyone think I'm a moderator?

knee tunes wrote:
Dead & Company, whoever that is, are going on tour. You have to verify on Ticketmaster by Sunday night at whatever.
Whether or not you've been verified is verified Tuesday night goud willing and presale happens Wednesday morning at 10 am

That’s the Dead without Lesh and with John Mayer. I saw them with my ex wife two days before we separated. God times.

PostPosted: Tue June 08, 2021 12:27 am 
Fake NYC Setlist Relayer

LiveGarcia Vol. 16 is just a few weeks away. Jerry Garcia Band’s first headlining show at Madison Square Garden in 1991.

PostPosted: Tue June 08, 2021 4:24 pm 
Future Drummer

is it the fate of all punk dudes to approach their 40s, feel their edges soften, and begin to enthusiastically listen to the grateful dead?

PostPosted: Tue June 08, 2021 4:24 pm 
Future Drummer

is spenno in here?

PostPosted: Tue June 08, 2021 10:26 pm 
Looks Like a Cat

Malloy wrote:
is it the fate of all punk dudes to approach their 40s, feel their edges soften, and begin to enthusiastically listen to the grateful dead?

It's the logical conclusion of what's affectionately been known as the "malkmusian arc" of my life.

PostPosted: Wed June 09, 2021 1:22 am 
tl;dr

*logical extension

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 833 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 33, 34, 35, 36, 37, 38, 39 ... 42  Next

Board index » Word on the Street » Other Bands