The board's server will undergo upgrade maintenance tonight, Nov 5, 2014, beginning approximately around 10 PM ET. Prepare for some possible down time during this process.
FAQ    Search

Board index » Word on the Street » Other Bands




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 780 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 35, 36, 37, 38, 39  Next
Author Message
 Post subject: Re: Grateful Dead
PostPosted: Thu June 17, 2021 9:53 pm 
Offline
Rank This Poster
 Profile

Joined: Thu January 03, 2013 7:55 pm
Posts: 3825
I listened to Terrapin Station Medley today. It’s still mind blowing and I think their greatest studio accomplishment.


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Grateful Dead
PostPosted: Thu June 17, 2021 10:10 pm 
Offline
User avatar
Looks Like a Cat
 Profile

Joined: Tue January 01, 2013 9:38 pm
Posts: 14510
Kevin Davis wrote:
Birds in Hell wrote:
Malloy wrote:
is spenno in here?

Not yet.


I feel like the right mix of Dead stuff would pull you right in (i.e. deep space improvisation; extended, psychedelic instrumental interplay from unique, compelling soloists; etc.), but the wrong mix would probably put you off of them forever (i.e. folk music with vocal harmonies).

I could see this shapeshifting 37-minute "Dark Star" doing the trick. Maybe.

washing machine wrote:
KD, maybe put out Playing in the Band from that same show and you really might snag yourself a spenno. The guitar interplay on that one is an unraveling spool of pure sonic energy.

I'll give these both a listen soon.

It's difficult to pin down what will and won't turn me off, it's something I think about too.

There are definitely certain melodic structures and performance quirks that act as an irritant to my ear, and I can equally be immediately attracted by others, like anything relying on vaguely 'Middle Eastern'-sounding melodies, e.g. harmonic minor, phrygian etc.

I'd like to spend more time figuring it out.


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Grateful Dead
PostPosted: Thu June 17, 2021 11:36 pm 
Offline
User avatar
Fake NYC Setlist Relayer
 Profile

Joined: Tue January 01, 2013 6:06 pm
Posts: 7571
I hope you enjoy it, Spenno -- I do think there is a raw, natural quality to their live recordings (from the early '70's especially) that I think will really please your ear, based on what I know of your tastes, especially given their jazz/improv leanings. And despite the crowd they keep and the general perception surrounding them, there is a fair bit of grit to their rootsier stuff that really sets it apart to these ears (not unlike Neil Young in that way, even though the aesthetic is ultimately different).


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Grateful Dead
PostPosted: Thu June 17, 2021 11:52 pm 
Offline
User avatar
Posting (live)
 Profile

Joined: Tue January 01, 2013 11:28 pm
Posts: 19221
Location: Space City
Yeah, deadhead culture kept me away from them for a long time. Ultimately that's all just noise.

I did go to one of those cover band shows once with a real deadhead and had a ton of fun, though.

_________________
E.H. Ruddock wrote:
Some of you need to be willing to open your palate up a little bit and stop thinking of things as gross.


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Grateful Dead
PostPosted: Fri June 18, 2021 12:40 am 
Offline
User avatar
Major Dude
 Profile

Joined: Sat January 05, 2013 1:57 pm
Posts: 28429
Location: Where everybody knows your name
One thing about their music (that’s probably an unfair analysis) that always kept me from really getting into them was pretty much all their music that I’ve heard seemed to be in a major key. And for the longest time major key stuff was, by and large, a turn off for me. I’ve come around on some stuff, but I’ve never done a proper dive into their catalogue.

_________________
Let me tell you, Homer Simpson is cock of nothing!
- C. Montgomery Burns


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Grateful Dead
PostPosted: Fri June 18, 2021 1:11 am 
Offline
User avatar
Fake NYC Setlist Relayer
 Profile

Joined: Tue January 01, 2013 6:06 pm
Posts: 7571
I am guessing that was just the stuff you happened to come into contact with; they have a lot of tunes in minor keys -- "Loser," "Help on the Way," "Brown-Eyed Women," "China Doll," "Shakedown Street," "The Other One," "Wharf Rat," "Estimated Prophet," "Lost Sailor," etc. But lots of major key ones too, and some that really hit you in the face with their sunniness ("Sugar Magnolia," "Bertha," etc.).


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Grateful Dead
PostPosted: Fri June 18, 2021 2:35 am 
Offline
Rank This Poster
 Profile

Joined: Thu January 03, 2013 7:55 pm
Posts: 3825
Kevin Davis wrote:
I am guessing that was just the stuff you happened to come into contact with; they have a lot of tunes in minor keys -- "Loser," "Help on the Way," "Brown-Eyed Women," "China Doll," "Shakedown Street," "The Other One," "Wharf Rat," "Estimated Prophet," "Lost Sailor," etc. But lots of major key ones too, and some that really hit you in the face with their sunniness ("Sugar Magnolia," "Bertha," etc.).


My less than technical addition to this is just that one thing that keeps me coming back is it just seems like they can do anything and do it well. When you listen back to those ‘70-‘72 shows, there’s these 3 lead singers that get 3 totally different things out of the band, and it’s all done organically - nothing feels forced or out of place even though one minute they are a straight away rock band, the next a bar blues band, the next a jazz band, and then can circle around to psychedelic soundscapes - and sometimes they can do that without even stopping and transition incredibly naturally.

100% agree that the scene around them in many ways cheapened their contributions. I spoke about Terrapin Station Medley above (granted that’s at a later point, ‘77), but that song, in its 16+ minutes or pure excess, could have easily made the Beatles, Black Sabbath, and Pink Floyd incredibly jealous all at the same time. Yet their sound is just so singular, and on a different wavelength than all these other jam bands that were spawned from that scene.


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Grateful Dead
PostPosted: Fri June 18, 2021 12:09 pm 
Offline
User avatar
Future Drummer
 Profile

Joined: Tue January 01, 2013 3:07 pm
Posts: 2298
54 years ago today

Don't believe I ever listened to this show, just finished the Hendrix set from later that day.

_________________
absinthe makes the heart grow fonder...


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Grateful Dead
PostPosted: Fri June 18, 2021 12:37 pm 
Offline
User avatar
Major Dude
 Profile

Joined: Sat January 05, 2013 1:57 pm
Posts: 28429
Location: Where everybody knows your name
Kevin Davis wrote:
I am guessing that was just the stuff you happened to come into contact with; they have a lot of tunes in minor keys -- "Loser," "Help on the Way," "Brown-Eyed Women," "China Doll," "Shakedown Street," "The Other One," "Wharf Rat," "Estimated Prophet," "Lost Sailor," etc. But lots of major key ones too, and some that really hit you in the face with their sunniness ("Sugar Magnolia," "Bertha," etc.).

Just looking at the names of those, and none are familiar. So, looks like our theory may be correct. And as I said, unfair.

Another thing I just thought of was that, typically, I’m not into tunes that are super overly long. There has to be a lot of stuff going on to interest me and keep me from getting bored listening to a song that’s 25 minutes long. Sure, the Allmans did it some but even with my love for them, I can’t do a Mountain Jam that goes that long. At least with Whipping Post you’d get the meat of the song finished before they would ramble on for ten minutes and end it.

_________________
Let me tell you, Homer Simpson is cock of nothing!
- C. Montgomery Burns


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Grateful Dead
PostPosted: Sun June 27, 2021 5:52 pm 
Offline
Rank This Poster
 Profile

Joined: Thu January 03, 2013 7:55 pm
Posts: 3825
Finished GarciaLive Vol. 16 (Madison Square Garden, NYC ‘91). Both Jerry Garcia and Melvin Seals had great nights. Struggling Man, Deal, and Bright Side of the Road were my favorites from this show.


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Grateful Dead
PostPosted: Wed June 30, 2021 2:59 pm 
Offline
Rank This Poster
 Profile

Joined: Thu January 03, 2013 7:55 pm
Posts: 3825
Okay, I promised a list of my favorite versions of songs (not all of them), so here’s a start. I can try to share a link to the playlist but lord it’s over 6 hours long:

Sugaree - Hartford, CT 5/28/77 (To Terrapin)
Bertha - Fillmore East 1971 (Skull & Roses)
Mr. Charlie - Europe ‘72
China Cat Sunflower > I Know You Rider - Oklahoma City, OK 10/19/73 (Dick’s Picks Vol. 19)
Tennessee Jed - Europe ‘72
He’s Gone - Lakeland, FL 5/21/77 (Dick’s Picks Vol. 29)
Friend of the Devil - Binghamton, NY 5/2/70 (Dick’s Picks Vol. 8)
Dire Wolf - Binghamton, NY 5/2/70 (Dick’s Picks Vol. 8)
Ripple - Reckoning
Scarlet Begonias > Fire On the Mountain - Ithaca, NY 5/8/77 (Cornell ‘77)
Truckin’ - Port Chester, NY 2/21/71 (Workingman’s Dead 50th Anniversary)
Good Lovin’ - Port Chester, NY 2/21/71 (Workingman’s Dead 50th Anniversary)
Shakedown Street - Cairo, Egypt 9/16/78 (Egypt ‘78)
Deal (Jerry Garcia Band) - Hartford, CT 9/5/89 (Fall 1989: the Long Island Sound)
Days Between - Ready or Not
Playing in the Band - Veneta, OR 8/27/72 (the Complete Sunshine Daydream Concert)
Franklin’s Tower - Pembrook Pines, FL 5/22/77 (Dick’s Picks Vol. 3)
Eyes of the World > Estimated Prophet > Dark Star > Drums > Space > Dark Star - Uniondale, NY 3/29/90 (Wake Up to Find Out)
Morning Dew - New York, NY 9/18/87 (30 Trips Around the Sun)
Wharf Rat - Fillmore East 1971 (Skull & Roses)
Not Fade Away > Going Down the Road Feeling Bad - Skull & Roses
Sugar Magnolia - Veneta, OR 8/27/72 (the Complete Sunshine Daydream Concert)
Bird Song - Without a Net
Knockin’ on Heaven’s Door (Jerry Garcia Band) - 9/16/89 (GarciaLive Vol. 13)
One More Saturday Night - Ithaca, NY 5/8/77 (Cornell ‘77)
Turn On Your Lovelight - Fillmore East 1971 (Ladies and Gentlemen…)
So Many Roads - Chicago, IL 7/9/95 (So Many Roads)


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Grateful Dead
PostPosted: Wed June 30, 2021 3:58 pm 
Offline
User avatar
Future Drummer
 Profile

Joined: Wed January 02, 2013 4:07 pm
Posts: 3449
Thanks for this.. might make a new playlist


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Grateful Dead
PostPosted: Wed June 30, 2021 4:04 pm 
Offline
Rank This Poster
 Profile

Joined: Thu January 03, 2013 7:55 pm
Posts: 3825
https://open.spotify.com/playlist/6FLaz ... l_branch=1

This should make that easier.

I am going to change the Estimated Prophet that is currently on there. My notes here were wrong. The jam is intense but I prefer to go with the straight string from Nassau. So it will be updated the next time I play around with it.


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Grateful Dead
PostPosted: Wed June 30, 2021 4:10 pm 
Offline
User avatar
Future Drummer
 Profile

Joined: Sat January 05, 2013 9:37 am
Posts: 2704
I know I've posted mixes before and shit....but I recently settled on this list of songs from 1968-1973 as being my favorite versions of my favorite songs in terms of performance, mix and sound quality - and I plan to bust the balls of aquaintances with CDR's and so forth. So try this playlist on for size. I haven't arranged them yet but it's 3 discs worth.

Bertha (1972-04-14 Copenhagen)
Big River (1972-11-17 Wichita)
Bird Song (1972-09-27 Jersey City)
Black-Throated Wind (1972-04-26 Frankfurt)
Box Of Rain (1973-03-24 Philadelphia)
Casey Jones (1972-08-27 Veneta)
China Cat>Rider (1972-03-27 Academy Of Music)
Cumberland Blues (1971-04-28 Fillmore East)
Dark Star (1970-02-13 Fillmore East)
Deal (1971-11-17 Albuquerque)
Eyes Of The World (1973-02-28 Salt Lake City)
Good Lovin' (1970-01-23 Honolulu)
Here Comes Sunshine (1973-11-17 UCLA)
He's Gone (1972-09-17 Baltimore)
Jack Straw (1971-12-07 Felt Forum)
Loser (1972-04-24 Dusseldorf)
Me And My Uncle (1972-05-11 Rotterdam)
Mississippi Half-Step (1972-09-21 Philadelphia)
Morning Dew (1968-08-24 Shrine Auditorium)
Mr. Charlie (1972-04-14 Copenhagen)
Ramble On Rose (1972-04-14 Copenhagen)
Saint Steven>Eleven (1968-08-24 Shrine Auditorium)
Sugaree (1972-05-03 Paris)
Tennessee Jed (1972-04-14 Copenhagen)
The Other One (1969-02-27 Fillmore West)


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Grateful Dead
PostPosted: Wed June 30, 2021 6:36 pm 
Offline
User avatar
Rank This Poster
 Profile

Joined: Wed January 02, 2013 2:21 am
Posts: 3839
liebzz wrote:
https://open.spotify.com/playlist/6FLazySgt36Zi3eTUcr9tu?si=zFQcRbbCRZe9oG0aa3pF0g&dl_branch=1

This should make that easier.

I am going to change the Estimated Prophet that is currently on there. My notes here were wrong. The jam is intense but I prefer to go with the straight string from Nassau. So it will be updated the next time I play around with it.

Have a couple hours of driving on my own on Friday. Thinking this will make a good companion.

_________________
Think I’m going to try being kind to everyone a chance.


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Grateful Dead
PostPosted: Thu July 01, 2021 4:16 pm 
Offline
User avatar
Fake NYC Setlist Relayer
 Profile

Joined: Tue January 01, 2013 6:06 pm
Posts: 7571
liebzz wrote:
Okay, I promised a list of my favorite versions of songs (not all of them), so here’s a start. I can try to share a link to the playlist but lord it’s over 6 hours long:

Sugaree - Hartford, CT 5/28/77 (To Terrapin)
Bertha - Fillmore East 1971 (Skull & Roses)
Mr. Charlie - Europe ‘72
China Cat Sunflower > I Know You Rider - Oklahoma City, OK 10/19/73 (Dick’s Picks Vol. 19)
Tennessee Jed - Europe ‘72
He’s Gone - Lakeland, FL 5/21/77 (Dick’s Picks Vol. 29)
Friend of the Devil - Binghamton, NY 5/2/70 (Dick’s Picks Vol. 8)
Dire Wolf - Binghamton, NY 5/2/70 (Dick’s Picks Vol. 8)
Ripple - Reckoning
Scarlet Begonias > Fire On the Mountain - Ithaca, NY 5/8/77 (Cornell ‘77)
Truckin’ - Port Chester, NY 2/21/71 (Workingman’s Dead 50th Anniversary)
Good Lovin’ - Port Chester, NY 2/21/71 (Workingman’s Dead 50th Anniversary)
Shakedown Street - Cairo, Egypt 9/16/78 (Egypt ‘78)
Deal (Jerry Garcia Band) - Hartford, CT 9/5/89 (Fall 1989: the Long Island Sound)
Days Between - Ready or Not
Playing in the Band - Veneta, OR 8/27/72 (the Complete Sunshine Daydream Concert)
Franklin’s Tower - Pembrook Pines, FL 5/22/77 (Dick’s Picks Vol. 3)
Eyes of the World > Estimated Prophet > Dark Star > Drums > Space > Dark Star - Uniondale, NY 3/29/90 (Wake Up to Find Out)
Morning Dew - New York, NY 9/18/87 (30 Trips Around the Sun)
Wharf Rat - Fillmore East 1971 (Skull & Roses)
Not Fade Away > Going Down the Road Feeling Bad - Skull & Roses
Sugar Magnolia - Veneta, OR 8/27/72 (the Complete Sunshine Daydream Concert)
Bird Song - Without a Net
Knockin’ on Heaven’s Door (Jerry Garcia Band) - 9/16/89 (GarciaLive Vol. 13)
One More Saturday Night - Ithaca, NY 5/8/77 (Cornell ‘77)
Turn On Your Lovelight - Fillmore East 1971 (Ladies and Gentlemen…)
So Many Roads - Chicago, IL 7/9/95 (So Many Roads)


Wendy Carlos's Twin wrote:
I know I've posted mixes before and shit....but I recently settled on this list of songs from 1968-1973 as being my favorite versions of my favorite songs in terms of performance, mix and sound quality - and I plan to bust the balls of aquaintances with CDR's and so forth. So try this playlist on for size. I haven't arranged them yet but it's 3 discs worth.

Bertha (1972-04-14 Copenhagen)
Big River (1972-11-17 Wichita)
Bird Song (1972-09-27 Jersey City)
Black-Throated Wind (1972-04-26 Frankfurt)
Box Of Rain (1973-03-24 Philadelphia)
Casey Jones (1972-08-27 Veneta)
China Cat>Rider (1972-03-27 Academy Of Music)
Cumberland Blues (1971-04-28 Fillmore East)
Dark Star (1970-02-13 Fillmore East)
Deal (1971-11-17 Albuquerque)
Eyes Of The World (1973-02-28 Salt Lake City)
Good Lovin' (1970-01-23 Honolulu)
Here Comes Sunshine (1973-11-17 UCLA)
He's Gone (1972-09-17 Baltimore)
Jack Straw (1971-12-07 Felt Forum)
Loser (1972-04-24 Dusseldorf)
Me And My Uncle (1972-05-11 Rotterdam)
Mississippi Half-Step (1972-09-21 Philadelphia)
Morning Dew (1968-08-24 Shrine Auditorium)
Mr. Charlie (1972-04-14 Copenhagen)
Ramble On Rose (1972-04-14 Copenhagen)
Saint Steven>Eleven (1968-08-24 Shrine Auditorium)
Sugaree (1972-05-03 Paris)
Tennessee Jed (1972-04-14 Copenhagen)
The Other One (1969-02-27 Fillmore West)


Love both of these lists. That "Eyes of the World" from SLC is tremendous!


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Grateful Dead
PostPosted: Thu July 01, 2021 4:44 pm 
Offline
Rank This Poster
 Profile

Joined: Thu January 03, 2013 7:55 pm
Posts: 3825
Thanks. I was listening through this week to confirm it all. I got emotional during that damn version of Morning Dew. It’s really one of the most overwhelming music moments for me.


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Grateful Dead
PostPosted: Wed August 11, 2021 2:44 pm 
Offline
User avatar
Future Drummer
 Profile

Joined: Tue January 01, 2013 3:07 pm
Posts: 2298
Lettuce, Grace Potter, Warren Haynes & More Honor Jerry Garcia At Daze Between Concert In New Haven


_________________
absinthe makes the heart grow fonder...


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Grateful Dead
PostPosted: Wed August 11, 2021 3:20 pm 
Offline
User avatar
Future Drummer
 Profile

Joined: Wed January 02, 2013 4:07 pm
Posts: 3449
WCT did you make that one on spotify?


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Grateful Dead
PostPosted: Sun August 29, 2021 3:37 pm 
Offline
User avatar
Future Drummer
 Profile

Joined: Wed January 02, 2013 4:07 pm
Posts: 3449
Hershey show was good last night.. set wise it wasn't as good as the couple before.. but whatever, still a good set.. mainly the 2nd set

I never saw so many people at that stadium.. I thought gnr brought in the biggest crowd there until last night..

Place is the worst venue on planet earth tho. Every time they try their best to inconvenience everyone in every way possible.. I always swear I'll never return but it's so close to me


Top
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 780 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 35, 36, 37, 38, 39  Next

Board index » Word on the Street » Other Bands


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: littlecomment and 8 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
It is currently Wed September 22, 2021 7:58 pm