The board's server will undergo upgrade maintenance tonight, Nov 5, 2014, beginning approximately around 10 PM ET. Prepare for some possible down time during this process.
FAQ    Search

Board index » Word on the Street » Other Bands

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 833 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29 ... 42  Next
 Post subject: Re: Grateful Dead
PostPosted: Tue August 18, 2020 11:40 pm 
Fake NYC Setlist Relayer

Kevin Davis wrote:
super nintendo chalmers wrote:
liebzz wrote:
I am in the midst of Dicks Picks 10 - Winterland 12/29/77 - first set is stunning so far.

My fav china rider therein

I'm partial to the big jam version that kicks off Dick's 12 - 6/26/74. That one goes to some wild places.

I have to say there’s something about the spirit in the moment in the Winterland version that gets me. Maybe it’s that I have had that sort of connection to Pearl Jam where a dust off complete with the fans losing their collective minds that connects a bit dot here in terms of the similarities with these fan bases, or maybe it’s just a great version. I just really love that you can really feel that moment jumping out of the speakers at you.

Almost like Breath at MSG in 98 or Leash in 06(?) or Bugs in Philly...

PostPosted: Wed August 19, 2020 12:51 am 
Fake NYC Setlist Relayer

Dick’s Picks Vol. 10 (Part 2) - Winterland Arena, San Francisco, CA 12/30/77

A couple of songs (covering nearly 40-45 mins of course) of what seems like the next night’s apex. Estimated Prophet is pretty solid, and Eyes of the World largely boring save for an excellent finish with Phil Lesh doing some inexplicable stuff on bass. The real gem in this is St. Stephen, which is so intense it’s practically a metal version, and an equally charged and thrilling Sugar Magnolia. Those two were a huge payoff for sticking around for the last part of this live release.

Selections: Estimated Prophet > Eyes of the World > St. Stephen > Sugar Magnolia

PostPosted: Wed August 19, 2020 1:35 am 
Rank This Poster

https://visionsofdylan.blogspot.com/202 ... e.html?m=1

PostPosted: Wed August 19, 2020 1:46 pm 
Fake NYC Setlist Relayer

Bob Weir - Heaven Help the Fool

Recorded during the Grateful Dead’s break in the Summer of ‘77 while they were on break (literally and figuratively), this is Bob Weir playing the straight man (this often feels like his role - keeping some sense of the ground while everyone around him is flying into uncharted territory). The results are not so great. It’s really a combination of needing something more and poor production choices. I would say the first three songs- Bombs Away, Easy to Slip, and Salt Lake City hold a lot of promise with Salt Lake City capturing Bob Weir exactly in the right spot. After that, the album takes a pretty hard dive, and the production flourishes and added instrumentation come
off as cheesy. I hold a lot of appreciation for his role in the Grateful Dead and Ace is a really excellent set of songs, but this just ran out of steam quick.

PostPosted: Wed August 19, 2020 9:31 pm 
Fake NYC Setlist Relayer

Jerry Garcia Band - PureJerry: Warner Theatre 3/18/78

This release include the full early show and late show of this night’s performance. In each of the shows, there’s a cool performance that kicks a cover over and reinterprets it in an interesting and very successful manner. In the early show, Jerry tackles Knockin’ on Heaven’s Dior by flipping it from a folk rock ballad into a reggae song. It works! Other highlights from this set are a strong I Sscond That Emotion, Love in the Afternoon, and closing it out with Mystery Train.

The late show was significantly longer, and there he took a reggae song and translated it by simply peeling away the reggae stomp and delivering it with an almost straight forward rock vibe. It turned into a pretty cool take on the song. The sweet spot here though was Simple Twist of Fate, Midnight Moonlight, Gomorrah, and Cats Under the Stars. From there is sorta fell flat for me the rest of the way with a particularly meandering Lonesome and a Long Way Home which really took the long way home. Certainly not my favorite of these releases though as noted there were some cool moments.

Early show: I Second That Emotion, They Love Each Other, Knockin’ on Heaven’s Door, That’s What Love Will Make You Do, Love in the Afternoon, Mystery Train

Late Show: The Harder They Come, Mission in the Rain, Simple Twist of Fate, Midnight Moonlight, Gomorrah, Cats Under the Stars, I’ll Be With Thee, Lonesome and a Long Way Home

Encore: Palm Sunday

PostPosted: Thu August 20, 2020 3:33 pm 
Fake NYC Setlist Relayer

Jerry Garcia Band - GarciaLive Vol. 4: Veteran’s Hall 3/22/78

A post Spring tour show, or I guess possibly the end of that Spring tour, this is a different band seemingly than the one I discussed from the show a few days prior. They are relaxed, steady, and in focus through a great two hour show. The first set is perfection getting through 5 covers spotlessly over about an hour. Nothing’s rushed, the band here is backing Jerry perfectly and it works great.

The second set brings some real excellent performances. The Harder They Come is epic and another change-up with the band playing at double time and Jerry playing masterfully on top of that. This is the moment where I can truly see the draw of Keith Godchaux and his playing is the lynchpin here that allows Jerry to go wherever he wants without breaking the the flow of the song. Maybe one of the top JGB moments in this journey. Also epic here is the run from Cats Under the Stars through the end of the show. Just one fantastic performance after another. Love in the Afternoon is so good and unforced. Mystery Train is great. This is just one helluva show.

Set 1: How Sweet It Is (To Be Loved By You), Catfish John, Simple Twist of Fate, I Second That Emotion, The Night They Drove Old Dixie Down

Set 2: The Harder They Come, Mission in the Rain, Cats Under the Stars, Gomorrah, Mystery Train, Love in the Afternoon, I’ll Be With Thee, Midnight Moonlight

PostPosted: Thu August 20, 2020 6:19 pm 
Fake NYC Setlist Relayer

Jerry Garcia Band - Cats Under the Stars

This is the only studio album released under this moniker for Jerry, and it is for me an overall solid outing. Rubin and Cherise has a very standard Jerry/ Dead vibe to it and might be the only song that tracks with that standard line. Love in the Afternoon has a reggae vibe to it here which while it doesn’t live up to the live versions, it’s still pretty good. Cats Under the Stars also is fine though nothing in comparison to the live versions that are really fun. The biggest surprise on an album that really feels like it is featuring Jerry’s vocals and Keith’s keys is Rhapsode in Red, where Jerry finally lets loose a bit with his guitar and kicks in a rollicking tune where his best JGB stuff has a more subdued vibe. It worked for me here. The best song though is the one most known from this time - Gomorrah, which is just a really excellent piece of music in my opinion and is delivered well here from the studio. Not in my list of favorite albums in this journey but certainly feels serviceable as the template for live expansion.

PostPosted: Fri August 21, 2020 2:39 pm 
Fake NYC Setlist Relayer

Red Rocks 7/8/78: Red Rocks Amphitheatre, Morrison, CO 7/8/78

We return back to live Grateful Dead after a brief break to cover some side projects, and it’s a triumphant return. The band is fully on fire in this show, blasting through both sets with not a single misstep here. The set list is near perfect to boot covering much of what makes them so great.

They come out swinging for sure with the opening duo of Bertha > Good Lovin’. Dire Wolf, El Paso, and It Must Have Been the Roses are the perfect compliments to each other to follow. New Minglewood Blues continues to be an unsung hero of the first set. Ramble on Rose! And the epic closing version of Deal sets the tone for a great second set to come.

In set 2, we see a great Ship of Fools which I hadn’t even thought about for a while. Then an epic string of songs that encapsulates this mid/late 70s period of epic performances with Estimated Prophet > The Other One > Eyes of the World (reinvigorated here after a few meh performances in the shows I listened to prior) > Drums > Space > Wharf Ray > Franklin’s Tower. I mean that is one helluva string to put together. Sugar Magnolia complete the second set and follows that string with the same energy. The encore is similarly great with a very good Terrapin Station, and closing out with a fun Werewolves of London. Love this show.

Set 1: Bertha > Good Lovin’, Dire Wolf, El Paso, It Must Have Been the Roses, New Minglewood Blues, Ramble on Rose, Promised Land, Deal

Set 2: Samson and Delilah, Ship of Fools, Estimated Prophet > The Other One > Eyes of the World > Drums > Space > Wharf Rat > Franklin’s Tower, Sugar Magnolia

Encore: Terrapin Station, One More Saturday Night, Werewolves of London

PostPosted: Fri August 21, 2020 4:24 pm 
Future Drummer

liebzz wrote:
Jerry Garcia Band - Cats Under the Stars

This is the only studio album released under this moniker for Jerry, and it is for me an overall solid outing. Rubin and Cherise has a very standard Jerry/ Dead vibe to it and might be the only song that tracks with that standard line. Love in the Afternoon has a reggae vibe to it here which while it doesn’t live up to the live versions, it’s still pretty good. Cats Under the Stars also is fine though nothing in comparison to the live versions that are really fun. The biggest surprise on an album that really feels like it is featuring Jerry’s vocals and Keith’s keys is Rhapsode in Red, where Jerry finally lets loose a bit with his guitar and kicks in a rollicking tune where his best JGB stuff has a more subdued vibe. It worked for me here. The best song though is the one most known from this time - Gomorrah, which is just a really excellent piece of music in my opinion and is delivered well here from the studio. Not in my list of favorite albums in this journey but certainly feels serviceable as the template for live expansion.

This version of Rhapsody in Red is off the rails insane.

Have you considered stacking papers and getting paid?

PostPosted: Sat August 22, 2020 8:09 pm 
Fake NYC Setlist Relayer

Rocking the Cradle: Egypt ‘78

This is almost a sorta collection over the 3 nights, with 2 of them (barely the 2/3 represented here). The sound on this release is immaculate- by the far the best sounding of the live albums thus far. Main issue is the performances on disc one don’t match the quality of the recording. On the first part, basically everything before they start playing new songs, it sounds like they are playing in slow motion. Row Jimmy loses its reggae swagger, Candyman is too slow, it’s just not that great. Then the new songs kick in, Stagger Lee, I Need a Miracle > It’s All Over Now and the show seems to pick up from there and the disc ends with a very solid Deal. The opposite can be said if disc two, which is all great, particularly a fun and funky Shakedown Street, a great Fire on the Mountain > Iko Iko, a strong Stella Blue and rollicking Around and Around. This worth hearing them in ideal live recording conditions but wish they were a little more on in this release.

Disc/Set 1: Jack Straw, Row Jimmy, New Minglewood Blues, Candyman, Looks Like Rain, Stagger Lee, I Need a Miracle > It’s All Over Now, Deal

Disc/Set 2: Ollin Arageed, Fire on the Mountain > Iko Iko, Shakedown Street > Drums > Space > Truckin’ > Stella Blue > Around and Around

PostPosted: Sat August 22, 2020 8:58 pm 
Fake NYC Setlist Relayer

Shakedown Street

I think the characterization of this album is terribly misplaced. This idea that the album was a disco album I think is a bit off base. The title track is the closest thing to that due to its danceable rhythms, but outside of that, it seems more informed by funk and world rhythms. Good Lovin’ has been in the live set forever and this follows that template. France is a bit weird with the steel pans and extensive percussion and probably doesn’t hold it together but for it being the Grateful Dead kicking it around and holding it together in one piece. Serengeti is sort of the sequel to this without words. Fire on the Mountain to new pulls from reggae in its bounce. Stagger Lee and All New Minglewood Blues feel like funked our versions from the live sets, and If I Had the World to Give a solid ballad. Granted, I wouldn’t call this their best album, but to pan this is a mistake as well and I was impressed on how many places they pulled from to put this together while still sounding like the Dead.

PostPosted: Sun August 23, 2020 6:50 pm 
Fake NYC Setlist Relayer

Sidetrack Improv! Live at the Capitol Theatre, Port Chester, NY 2/21/71 (from the (50th Anniversary Workingman’s Dead)

We had recently conversed on the virtues and pitfalls, maybe indirectly, of the Godcheaux era, and I wanted a sort of direct contrast with the Pigpen era of live shows. This one had been released as part of the 50th Anniversary of Workingman’s Dead after I had passed this point I chronologically, but I wanted to go back quickly in advance of completing the 70s run.

So wow. This show is absolute fire, and I am not sure if that’s because it’s just that good of a show or more because of the coming home to my favorite era so far of live Dead. I mean, I love the stuff I am going through now in the late 70s, but those shows I listens through 70-72 were pretty magical. That goes for this show too, which is just so good. Easy Wind here is absolutely essential and real powerful. Playing in the Band is great in part because it hasn’t gotten bloated yet. Bertha, Ripple, Next Time You See Me, Greatest Story Ever Told > Johnny B. Goode, and Sugar Magnolia are all highlight versions here in the first set.

The second set then proceeds to blow over the first, starting with an epic China Cat Sunflower > I Know You Rider (the dude screaming in the crowd for it through the prior set must have been going nuts). Bird Song is awesome. I’m a King Bee is some incredible blues. Wharf Rat is on point. Truckin’, Case Jones, Good Lovin’ (all 17 minutes of it!), and Uncle John’s Band is just an amazing way to close this one out.

If you haven’t checked this out, run don’t walk, to your headphones and take 2.5 hours to yourself!

Set 1: Cold Rain and Snow, Me and Bobby McGee, Loser, Easy Wind, Playing in the Band, Bertha, Me and My Uncle, Ripple, Next Time You See Me, Sugar Magnolia, Greatest Story Ever Told > Johnny B. Goode

Set 2: China Cat Sunflower > I Know You Rider, Bird Song, Cumberland Blues, I’m a King Bee, Beat It on Down the Line, Wharf Rat, Truckin’, Casey Jones, Good Lovin’, Uncle John’s Band

PostPosted: Sun August 23, 2020 8:35 pm 
tl;dr

Did you listen to "Ladies and Gentlemen, The Grateful Dead" from April 1971 at the Fillmore East? Amazing set if not, don't miss it!

PostPosted: Sun August 23, 2020 10:00 pm 
Fake NYC Setlist Relayer

Kevin Davis wrote:
Did you listen to "Ladies and Gentlemen, The Grateful Dead" from April 1971 at the Fillmore East? Amazing set if not, don't miss it!

It’s coming. I have been debating whether to use it in the 80s when it was released or now before I move on to the 80s.

PostPosted: Mon August 24, 2020 2:37 am 
Broken Tamborine

How did you jump into '78 and skip over Dave's Pick's Vol. 23? 1/22/78 is essential Dead. I'm a big fan of the first night at Red Rocks, but 1/22 might be better. I highly recommend checking it out.

PostPosted: Mon August 24, 2020 3:28 am 
Fake NYC Setlist Relayer

LooseGroove927 wrote:
How did you jump into '78 and skip over Dave's Pick's Vol. 23? 1/22/78 is essential Dead. I'm a big fan of the first night at Red Rocks, but 1/22 might be better. I highly recommend checking it out.

Dave’s Picks are generally out because they are not widely available for streaming while Dick’s Picks are.

PostPosted: Mon August 24, 2020 2:46 pm 
Future Drummer

liebzz wrote:
Sidetrack Improv! Live at the Capitol Theatre, Port Chester, NY 2/21/71 (from the (50th Anniversary Workingman’s Dead)

We had recently conversed on the virtues and pitfalls, maybe indirectly, of the Godcheaux era, and I wanted a sort of direct contrast with the Pigpen era of live shows. This one had been released as part of the 50th Anniversary of Workingman’s Dead after I had passed this point I chronologically, but I wanted to go back quickly in advance of completing the 70s run.

So wow. This show is absolute fire, and I am not sure if that’s because it’s just that good of a show or more because of the coming home to my favorite era so far of live Dead. I mean, I love the stuff I am going through now in the late 70s, but those shows I listens through 70-72 were pretty magical. That goes for this show too, which is just so good. Easy Wind here is absolutely essential and real powerful. Playing in the Band is great in part because it hasn’t gotten bloated yet. Bertha, Ripple, Next Time You See Me, Greatest Story Ever Told > Johnny B. Goode, and Sugar Magnolia are all highlight versions here in the first set.

The second set then proceeds to blow over the first, starting with an epic China Cat Sunflower > I Know You Rider (the dude screaming in the crowd for it through the prior set must have been going nuts). Bird Song is awesome. I’m a King Bee is some incredible blues. Wharf Rat is on point. Truckin’, Case Jones, Good Lovin’ (all 17 minutes of it!), and Uncle John’s Band is just an amazing way to close this one out.

If you haven’t checked this out, run don’t walk, to your headphones and take 2.5 hours to yourself!

Set 1: Cold Rain and Snow, Me and Bobby McGee, Loser, Easy Wind, Playing in the Band, Bertha, Me and My Uncle, Ripple, Next Time You See Me, Sugar Magnolia, Greatest Story Ever Told > Johnny B. Goode

Set 2: China Cat Sunflower > I Know You Rider, Bird Song, Cumberland Blues, I’m a King Bee, Beat It on Down the Line, Wharf Rat, Truckin’, Casey Jones, Good Lovin’, Uncle John’s Band

That Cap run is pretty brilliant all around. I highly recommend 2/18. It's the got the "Beautiful Jam" tucked in between the Dark Star> Wharf Rat (first time ever played)> Dark Star. This little jam could be best 5/6 minutes of music the band ever played. Also, its Mick's last show until 1974.

PostPosted: Tue August 25, 2020 11:29 am 
Fake NYC Setlist Relayer

The Closing of Winterland - San Francisco, CA 12/31/78

As the title suggests, the last show at Winterland, a party that purportedly lasted so long they served breakfast at the end of the show. I had heard that the Grateful Dead had a penchant for not rising to big occasions: Woodstock (which I have not heard) and the shows in Egypt are perhaps a hint of that. Here, the Grateful Dead are wildly inconsistent with some great moments (really the entire first set and the 2 encores), but also do a ton of plodding aimlessly in the second set and part of the third set.

The first set starts off so well with Sugar Magnolia, Scarlet Begonias, and Fire on the Mountain, nails the Americana duo of Me and My Uncle and Big River, then lays into a stunning slowed down Friend of the Devil. Things roll right on through that first set and into the second, which starts with a good Samson and Delilah and scorching I Need a Miracle. From there though, the band seems to be playing in slow motion and stuck in the muck for the remainder of the set. In and of itself, I won’t complain about long jams as long as they push the agenda or serve a legitimate purpose. Instead, Playing in the Band is frankly boring and not helping matters is a 20 minute Drums, and then another 5 minutes before they can find their groove on Not Fade Away. Basically, 35 minutes of looking and searching and finding nothing. Around and Around similarly is stuck in slow mo.

The third set follows from the second set in the beginning. The potential for greatness in stringing together Dark Star and the Other One has me excited but it seemed to fall flat. But once that is done and about halfway through Wharf Rat, things take a turn for the better and the band nails the rest of the show. St. Stephen, Good Lovin’, Casey Jones, Johnny B. Goode, and We Bid You Goodnight.

Set 1: Sugar Magnolia, Scarlet Begonias, Fire on the Mountain, Me and My Uncle > Big River, Friend of the Devil, It’s All Over Now, Stagger Lee, From the Heart of Me > Sunshine Daydream

Set 2: Samson and Delilah, Ramble on Rose, I Need a Miracle, Terrapin Station, Playing in the Band > Rhythm Devils > Not Fade Away, Around and Around

Set 3: Dark Star > The Other One > Dark Star > Wharf Rat > St. Stephen > Good Lovin’

Encore: Casey Jones, Johnny B. Goode

Encore 2: We Bid You Goodnight

PostPosted: Tue August 25, 2020 8:13 pm 
Fake NYC Setlist Relayer

Europe ‘72

In a continuing effort to listen back to a few things I missed comes a proper listen to Europe ‘72. At the time, my worry was that listening to a compilation wouldn’t do the tour justice if all the shows were available to stream. Based on comments here, and their decision to overdub on the live tracks, I decided to go back. Like was mentioned, this reads more like a studio album sort of done live. The sound is great and each version is a solid to great version of the songs, including the best shot at studio cuts of both He’s Gone and Tennessee Jed, two of my favorite songs that they play. Cumberland Blues is also great here, Hurts Me Too, Brown Eyed Woman, Sugar Magnolia, China Cat Sunflower > I Know You Rider, and Morning Dew (the way it’s supposed to sound) all in their right respective versions. I am very glad I went back to this since it doesn’t play necessarily like a concert compilation and more like a stand alone release.

PostPosted: Wed August 26, 2020 1:54 pm 
Future Drummer

liebzz wrote:
Europe ‘72

In a continuing effort to listen back to a few things I missed comes a proper listen to Europe ‘72. At the time, my worry was that listening to a compilation wouldn’t do the tour justice if all the shows were available to stream. Based on comments here, and their decision to overdub on the live tracks, I decided to go back. Like was mentioned, this reads more like a studio album sort of done live. The sound is great and each version is a solid to great version of the songs, including the best shot at studio cuts of both He’s Gone and Tennessee Jed, two of my favorite songs that they play. Cumberland Blues is also great here, Hurts Me Too, Brown Eyed Woman, Sugar Magnolia, China Cat Sunflower > I Know You Rider, and Morning Dew (the way it’s supposed to sound) all in their right respective versions. I am very glad I went back to this since it doesn’t play necessarily like a concert compilation and more like a stand alone release.

This is a cool little Spotify playlist
https://open.spotify.com/playlist/5ruVE ... 0MAogiwYmA
Quote:
There’s been some talk over the years about The Grateful Dead and a possible 1972 Studio album that never happened. The album would have been the third in a trilogy of Utopian Americana that would have followed 1970’s Workingman’s Dead and American Beauty. Tony Scalafani discussed this very notion in Chapter 26 of his book The Grateful Dead FAQ: All That’s Left to Know About the Greatest Jam Band in History. He entitled it “One Old Score: The Great Lost Grateful Dead Studio Album of 1972.” I thought I’d take a crack at the idea.

I decided to steer clear of all songs on Garcia and Ace (both released in ‘72) and hone in on compositions that never quite got the “full” studio treatment, but were featured on the live 1971 release Grateful Dead (aka Skull & Roses) and the sprawling 3 LP live album Europe ‘72. The would-be LP below is heavy on Jer and Pigpen and light on Weir, but given it was Pig’s last hurrah (his last show was at The Hollywood Bowl on June 17, 1972) and the insane quality of the Garcia/Hunter jams, the selections make a helluva lot of sense.

Side Notes: While “Comes A Time,” “Chinatown Shuffle” and “The Stranger (Two Souls in Communion)” did not appear on either Grateful Dead (aka Skull & Roses) or Europe ‘72, all were being performed during the time. “The Stranger (Two Souls in Communion)” was first played on March 23, 1972, at the Academy of Music, New York. “Chinatown Shuffle” was first performed New Years Eve 1971 at Winterland. “Comes A Time” first happened way back in October of 1971, at Northrop Auditorium, Minneapolis, Minnesota.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 833 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29 ... 42  Next

Board index » Word on the Street » Other Bands