The board's server will undergo upgrade maintenance tonight, Nov 5, 2014, beginning approximately around 10 PM ET. Prepare for some possible down time during this process.
FAQ    Search

Board index » Word on the Street » Other Bands

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 833 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36 ... 42  Next
 Post subject: Re: Grateful Dead
PostPosted: Sun October 25, 2020 12:32 am 
Fake NYC Setlist Relayer

I watched Truckin’ Up to Buffalo (7/4/89) today. It was pretty good though seems like a standard set for that tour. Terrapin Station was really good, as was Morning Dew.

PostPosted: Sun October 25, 2020 1:43 am 
tl;dr

liebzz wrote:
I watched Truckin’ Up to Buffalo (7/4/89) today. It was pretty good though seems like a standard set for that tour. Terrapin Station was really good, as was Morning Dew.

This is my favorite '89 show.

PostPosted: Sun October 25, 2020 3:29 am 
Fake NYC Setlist Relayer

Kevin Davis wrote:
liebzz wrote:

This is my favorite '89 show.

From the ones I listened to, Hampton VA on 10/9 was my favorite, but the one from Philly in the summer and the Miami show were also close. This another good one. 89 was a helluva year for them.

PostPosted: Sun October 25, 2020 5:19 am 
tl;dr

Before you get too far out of the era, I hope you'll take 5 minutes to give this a listen:

The Dead were touring on the east coast in October of '89 when this earthquake happened, so they played this song twice as a sort of trubute to the folks back home.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1989_Loma ... earthquake

The first of the two performances was included on the Built to Last reissue, but I think this is the stronger of the two takes. It's a fairly straightforward country ballad but I've really found myself drawn back to it for some reason.

PostPosted: Sun October 25, 2020 2:01 pm 
Fake NYC Setlist Relayer

That was great. Thanks for the post!

PostPosted: Sun October 25, 2020 4:01 pm 
Rank This Poster

liebzz, u have spotify?? Too lazy to go thru this thread lol

PostPosted: Sun October 25, 2020 6:37 pm 
Fake NYC Setlist Relayer

I do, and it is the primary space for what I listen to. I have on occasion used archive.org for selected shows. But Spotify is why I am not utilizing Dave’s Picks or some of the Rhino releases. Ultimately, you have to draw the line somewhere.

PostPosted: Sun October 25, 2020 7:50 pm 
Rank This Poster

You should make a playlist of your fav versions of each song

PostPosted: Mon October 26, 2020 1:29 am 
Fake NYC Setlist Relayer

That would be an undertaking. Off the top of my head there’s a Morning Dew from MSG in 87, the JGB Deal from one of the 89 shows, the version of Dear Prudence I posted in the Beatles section, and then I would have to look back at the notes I posted for the shows. While I can relate to why people like the Dark Star from Live/Dead or that Miami 89 show, the Hampton VA show version is so scary I might use that.

PostPosted: Mon October 26, 2020 1:50 am 
Future Drummer

liebzz wrote:
But Spotify is why I am not utilizing Dave’s Picks or some of the Rhino releases. Ultimately, you have to draw the line somewhere.

I'm still moving along and stuck on the 71-73 era but there are several superb Dave's Picks, and to ignore them would be foolish I think.

11 (Wichita 72)
14 (Academy Of Music 72)
22 (Felt Forum 71)
32 (Philadelphia 73)

...are all on par with the best Dick's Picks. So fuck Spotify.

PostPosted: Mon October 26, 2020 2:59 am 
Fake NYC Setlist Relayer

I mean, yeah. Why isn’t Dave’s Picks there though?

PostPosted: Tue October 27, 2020 1:26 pm 
Fake NYC Setlist Relayer

Dick’s Picks Vol. 9: Madison Square Garden, New York, NY 9/16/90

This is the second MSG show I am covering as part of this journey, and the first show I am hearing after Brent Mydland’s death. The change is immediately evident as this recording feels like the keys are very upfront. Nonetheless, the band sounds pretty great rolling though the first set, with a rather interesting and different sound to Tennessee Jed, followed by a very strong Cassidy and epic Deal (maybe tops by the Dead, though nothing tops the JGB version from 89 that I noted). Set 2 also features a few bi highlights. Iko Iko sounded really great, especially as the song kept building up as well as He’s Gone that went into a very extended jam session. I Need A Miracle was really on here. When Morning Dew started, I could sense the crowd having flashbacks to 87 and that unbelievable version. This one is really good too though never quite hits the same heights - Jerry’s weathered voice here fits the song so perfectly. The show ends with a real solid Dylan cover It’s All Over Now Baby Blue and that’s all she wrote for this one. A very jam heavy show with perhaps the keys over compensating as they adjust to playing with Bruce Hornsby and Vince Welnick.

Set 1: Hell in a Bucket, Cold Rain & Snow, Little Red Rooster, Stagger Lee, Queen Jane Approximately, Tennessee Jed, Cassidy > Deal

Set 2: Samson and Delilah, Iko Iko, Looks Like Rain, He’s Gone > No MSG Jam > Drums > Space > Standing on the Moon > Lunatic Preserve > I Need a Miracle > Morning Dew

Encore: It’s All Over Now Baby Blue

PostPosted: Tue October 27, 2020 2:28 pm 
Rank This Poster

liebzz wrote:

Probably some sort of contractual issue

PostPosted: Tue October 27, 2020 3:04 pm 
Fake NYC Setlist Relayer

i got bugs wrote:
liebzz wrote:

I also see a lot of them are limited issues.

PostPosted: Tue October 27, 2020 9:12 pm 
Rank This Poster

liebzz wrote:
i got bugs wrote:
liebzz wrote:

I also see a lot of them are limited issues.

Yeah I think they do yearly subscriptions or something

PostPosted: Tue October 27, 2020 9:43 pm 
Fake NYC Setlist Relayer

Actually looked at it today. $100 for 4 sets per year.

PostPosted: Wed October 28, 2020 5:09 pm 
Fake NYC Setlist Relayer

Saint of Circumstance: Giants Stadium, East Rutherford, NJ 6/17/91

Immediately upon listening to this show, you get the sense that there’s a more natural chemistry building with the two keys and the rest of the band. That interplay through the opening 15 minute Eyes of the World is the immediate proof. From there, the band powers through a good first set with the highlights being Walkin Blues, Brown-Eyed Women, Cassidy, and an absolutely killer Might As Well that just has a ton of energy. Here also there is established a sort of thematic through-road of Dark Star. Hinted once in the middle of the first set, and teased again in parts through the remainder of the show.

Set 2 opens with a really strong Saint of Circumstance and Ship of Fools. After another brief Dark Star tease we blow into some greatest hits territory with Truckin’, New Speedway Boogie, and Uncle John’s Band with Dark Star teases interspersed. That leads to a longer Dark Star jam (they never played through the verses) that segues to Drums > Space > the rest of the set, including another greatest hit in Sugar Magnolia, which is really the first song I heard here or anywhere else where I felt the tinge of legacy performance (the band essentially covering itself) - and I don’t mean that in a negative context as much as it feels like a rebirth of the song as a ode to its past. The encore is a great cover of The Weight that was so spot on I kept thinking I was listening to The Band.

Set 1: Eyes of the World, Walkin’ Blues, Brown-Eyes Women, Dark Star tease > When I Paint My Masterpiece, Loose Lucy, Cassidy > Might As Well

Set 2: Saint of Circumstance > Ship of Fools > Dark Star tease > Truckin’ > New Speedway Boogie > Dark Star tease > Uncle John’s Band > Dark Star jam > Drums > Space > China Doll > Playing in the Band > Sugar Magnolia

Encore: The Weight

PostPosted: Thu October 29, 2020 4:28 pm 
Future Drummer

liebzz wrote:

Immediately upon listening to this show, you get the sense that there’s a more natural chemistry building with the two keys and the rest of the band. That interplay through the opening 15 minute Eyes of the World is the immediate proof. From there, the band powers through a good first set with the highlights being Walkin Blues, Brown-Eyed Women, Cassidy, and an absolutely killer Might As Well that just has a ton of energy. Here also there is established a sort of thematic through-road of Dark Star. Hinted once in the middle of the first set, and teased again in parts through the remainder of the show.

Set 2 opens with a really strong Saint of Circumstance and Ship of Fools. After another brief Dark Star tease we blow into some greatest hits territory with Truckin’, New Speedway Boogie, and Uncle John’s Band with Dark Star teases interspersed. That leads to a longer Dark Star jam (they never played through the verses) that segues to Drums > Space > the rest of the set, including another greatest hit in Sugar Magnolia, which is really the first song I heard here or anywhere else where I felt the tinge of legacy performance (the band essentially covering itself) - and I don’t mean that in a negative context as much as it feels like a rebirth of the song as a ode to its past. The encore is a great cover of The Weight that was so spot on I kept thinking I was listening to The Band.

Set 1: Eyes of the World, Walkin’ Blues, Brown-Eyes Women, Dark Star tease > When I Paint My Masterpiece, Loose Lucy, Cassidy > Might As Well

Set 2: Saint of Circumstance > Ship of Fools > Dark Star tease > Truckin’ > New Speedway Boogie > Dark Star tease > Uncle John’s Band > Dark Star jam > Drums > Space > China Doll > Playing in the Band > Sugar Magnolia

Great set. And the fidelity from that box is top notch.

Have you considered stacking papers and getting paid?

PostPosted: Thu October 29, 2020 8:41 pm 
Fake NYC Setlist Relayer

Download Series Vol. 11 - Pine Knob Music Theatre, Clarkson, MI 6/20/91

This release, just a few days after the Saint of Circumstance release I just heard included the full show plus selections from the night before. The keys continue to have an outsized role in the show and perhaps the recordings, but this is still a good show. The first set is lightning quick - mostly highlighted by the end with a great cover of Maggie’s Farm and an extended Bird Song. Mexicali Blues here was wildly different with an over focus on keys - it made it sound like circus music.

Set 2 found them in their groove, with the opening 4 songs being the absolute highlight of the show: Throwing Stones followed by Iko Iko, an epic solo in Watchtower, and then the best Standing on the Moon in my memory. He’s Gone is solid and then goes into an excessive Drums/Space. Otherwise, Wharf Rat, and Brokedown Palace were other strong highlights.

The bonus of Scarlet Begonias > Fire on the Mountain was great, as was Stella Blue which is always such a beautiful song.

Set 1: Touch of Grey, Greatest Story Ever Told, Peggy-O, Mexicali Blues, Maggie’s Farm, Bird Song

Set 2: Throwing Stones > Iko Iko > All Along the Watchtower > Standing On the Moon > He’s Gone > Drums > Space > The Wheel > I Need a Miracle > Wharf Rat, Throwing Stones > Not Fade Away

Encore: Brokedown Palace

Bonus from 6/19/91: Scarlet Begonias > Fire on the Mountain, Stella Blue, The Other One, Johnny B. Goode

PostPosted: Fri October 30, 2020 12:13 am 
tl;dr

super nintendo chalmers wrote:
liebzz wrote:

Great set. And the fidelity from that box is top notch.

Yeah I like this one a lot too. Hornsby sounds great.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 833 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36 ... 42  Next

Board index » Word on the Street » Other Bands