The board's server will undergo upgrade maintenance tonight, Nov 5, 2014, beginning approximately around 10 PM ET. Prepare for some possible down time during this process.
FAQ    Search

Board index » Word on the Street » Other Bands

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 833 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31 ... 42  Next
 Post subject: Re: Grateful Dead
PostPosted: Sun September 06, 2020 12:36 am 
Rank This Poster

Didnt all the classic albums got bad reviews at the time of release??

PostPosted: Sun September 06, 2020 1:26 am 
Fake NYC Setlist Relayer

I am pretty sure Workingman’s Dead and American Beauty are the ones with good reviews. And maybe some for Terrapin Station and Live Dead.

PostPosted: Sun September 06, 2020 11:35 am 
Fake NYC Setlist Relayer

I am listening to the Ladies and Gentlemen set - potentially also on my drive home (4.5 hours), so I may get to hear all of it today, or not.

PostPosted: Mon September 07, 2020 5:13 pm 
Rank This Poster

Not just the dead like all the old classic rock stuff in general

PostPosted: Mon September 07, 2020 6:02 pm 
Fake NYC Setlist Relayer

Ladies and Gentlemen...

All I can really say is wow. I mean, this set is basically what the ultimate Grateful Dead show would be if all combined into one. Never is it more obvious that Pigpen is so central to this band and its sound at that given time, and he’s shining everywhere here. I would point out the specific highlights if nearly every song wasn’t insanely good. That Turn on Your Lovelight is bonkers. So is Hard to Handle. This is maybe the set I would tell someone to sit down for 5 hours and listen to and then have an understanding of this band. Loved this.

PostPosted: Mon September 07, 2020 8:04 pm 
Fake NYC Setlist Relayer

Dead Set

This is the sort of companion piece to the very good Reckoning except this being the electric set. It plays a lot like a first set of a Dead show in that the songs, while somewhat extended, mostly avoid going into the alternate dimensions of the second set. These are mostly straight forward but each version of the songs are solid. Little Red Rooster, Loser, Feel Like a Stranger, Franklin’s Tower, and Brokedown Palace are the best of the bunch here. A good set for someone maybe just getting into them since there’s not much of a need to commit to crazy spaced out jams, though there is a couple towards the end (Franklin’s Tower > Drums > Space). Not the high of Ladies and Gentlemen, but it certainly worked with Reckoning for me as a restoration of faith in the journey.

PostPosted: Tue September 08, 2020 7:39 pm 
Future Drummer

I love Reckoning! Dead Set is so so, but Space into Fire is great.

I did 9/6/80 yesterday from Lewiston, ME. What lovely end of summer show that must of been, it really come across on the Aud tape.

Early on, when I was first getting into them Disc 3 from Ladies and Gentleman hit me really hard.

Have you considered stacking papers and getting paid?

PostPosted: Tue September 08, 2020 7:52 pm 
Fake NYC Setlist Relayer

super nintendo chalmers wrote:
I love Reckoning! Dead Set is so so, but Space into Fire is great.

I did 9/6/80 yesterday from Lewiston, ME. What lovely end of summer show that must of been, it really come across on the Aud tape.

Early on, when I was first getting into them Disc 3 from Ladies and Gentleman hit me really hard.

I really loved everything on Ladies and Gentlemen. It perfectly captures the band’s sound that I was attracted to in that 70-72 stretch. I am glad I stuck with that, even though after 4+ hours my wife demanded we change it out since this was the soundtrack for the long ride home.

PostPosted: Wed September 09, 2020 3:10 pm 
Fake NYC Setlist Relayer

Merle Saunders & Jerry Garcia - Keystone Companions: The Complete 1973 Fantasy Recordings

This release is another look back for me to the 70s to keep things fresh - taken from two shows in 1973 and released in other formats at Live at Keystone and Keystone Encore. The lineup here is Garcia, Saunders, John Kahn, and Bill Vitt. In what seems much live a preview of what would become staples of the Jerry Garcia Band shows, this group moves through a number of covers hitting a huge range of music from rock, pop, soul, jazz and blues, and does it so seamlessly that you can barely notice from one moment to the next exactly when gears shift. Vitt and Kahn are the perfect pair to back these guys up. Their support system is so good there are moments you almost forget they are there while Saunders and Garcia share the lead. That chemistry between Saunders and Garcia is what makes this so powerful and memorable. Saunders appears to be sending Garcia all the queues to work with, and Garcia in turn bends and melds his guitar with Saunders’s keys in many different directions but they never lose focus or attention on what the other is doing. It’s a level of genius that’s at times not possible with the Dead because of the individual personalities of those instruments and provides a refreshing and powerful taste of Jerry’s incredible talents both as a pure musician, but also in the way he embodies the music he plays. Positively 4th Street feels as much his as Dylan’s, and the same can be said of any of the other covers here. I don’t think I realized this existed when I was covering 73, but I am glad I caught it now.

Show 1

Set 1 - Hi-Heel Sneakers, Keepers, The Harder They Come, It Takes a Lot to Laugh It Takes a Train to Cry, It’s Too Late (She’s Gone), My Funny Valentine, Mystery Train

Set 2 - I Second That Emotion, Someday Baby, Merl’s Tune, It Ain’t No Use, Positively 4th Street, How Sweet It Is (To Be Loved By You)

Show 2

Set 1 - It Takes a Lot to Laugh It Takes a Train to Cry, Keepers, One Kind Favor, That’s All Right Mama, The Harder They Come, My Funny Valentine, Money Honey

Set 2 - Someday Baby, Merl’s Tune, Like a Road Leading Home, How Sweet It Is (To Be Loved By You)

PostPosted: Wed September 09, 2020 3:10 pm 
Fake NYC Setlist Relayer

Merle Saunders & Jerry Garcia - Keystone Companions: The Complete 1973 Fantasy Recordings

This release is another look back for me to the 70s to keep things fresh - taken from two shows in 1973 and released in other formats at Live at Keystone and Keystone Encore. The lineup here is Garcia, Saunders, John Kahn, and Bill Vitt. In what seems much live a preview of what would become staples of the Jerry Garcia Band shows, this group moves through a number of covers hitting a huge range of music from rock, pop, soul, jazz and blues, and does it so seamlessly that you can barely notice from one moment to the next exactly when gears shift. Vitt and Kahn are the perfect pair to back these guys up. Their support system is so good there are moments you almost forget they are there while Saunders and Garcia share the lead. That chemistry between Saunders and Garcia is what makes this so powerful and memorable. Saunders appears to be sending Garcia all the queues to work with, and Garcia in turn bends and melds his guitar with Saunders’s keys in many different directions but they never lose focus or attention on what the other is doing. It’s a level of genius that’s at times not possible with the Dead because of the individual personalities of those instruments and provides a refreshing and powerful taste of Jerry’s incredible talents both as a pure musician, but also in the way he embodies the music he plays. Positively 4th Street feels as much his as Dylan’s, and the same can be said of any of the other covers here. I don’t think I realized this existed when I was covering 73, but I am glad I caught it now.

Show 1

Set 1 - Hi-Heel Sneakers, Keepers, The Harder They Come, It Takes a Lot to Laugh It Takes a Train to Cry, It’s Too Late (She’s Gone), My Funny Valentine, Mystery Train

Set 2 - I Second That Emotion, Someday Baby, Merl’s Tune, It Ain’t No Use, Positively 4th Street, How Sweet It Is (To Be Loved By You)

Show 2

Set 1 - It Takes a Lot to Laugh It Takes a Train to Cry, Keepers, One Kind Favor, That’s All Right Mama, The Harder They Come, My Funny Valentine, Money Honey

Set 2 - Someday Baby, Merl’s Tune, Like a Road Leading Home, How Sweet It Is (To Be Loved By You)

PostPosted: Fri September 11, 2020 2:38 am 
Fake NYC Setlist Relayer

Dick’s Picks Vol. 13 - Nassau Coliseum, Uniondale, NY 5/6/81

This show finds the band playing what I would mostly consider an excellent set list, though the delivery is very good, it’s still not up to the heyday of even the late 70s. Alabama Getaway sounds a bit less energetic than other recent versions, but they ended up shaking that off and delivering a mostly by the notes first set with a very strong Deal to end it. Set 2 starts strong with the best New Minglewood Blues I have heard in a bit and High Time is pretty good. Saint of Circumstance I thought was strong, but the second set really takes off with some true oldies in Caution, The Other One, Goin’ Down the Road Feeling Bad, Good Lovin’, and Don’t Ease Me In. I ultimately felt the show had many strong moments but maybe didn’t hold together throughout they way they sometimes can. Ups and downs (Wharf Rat wasn’t nearly as good as usual, Lost Sailor continues to bore, Looks Like Rain still has to be here?). The inclusion of the bonus Scarlet Begonias > Fire on the Mountain was pretty cool though.

Set 1: Alabama Getaway, Greatest Story Ever Told, They Love Each Other, Cassidy, Jack-A-Roe, Little Red Rooster (this was also quite good), Dire Wolf, Looks Like Rain, Big Railroad Blues, Let It Grow, Deal

Set 2: New Minglewood Blues, High Time, Lost Sailor, Saint of Circumstance (secret tracks of Scarlet Begonias > Fire on the Mountain from ‘79), He’s Gone > Caution (Do Not Stop on Tracks) > Drums > Jam > The Other One, Goin’ Down the Road Feeling Bad, Wharf Rat > Good Lovin’

Encore: Don’t Ease Me In

PostPosted: Fri September 11, 2020 4:02 am 
tl;dr

I have never found much I've loved in 1981. However, 1982 is fantastic -- weirdly, Jerry's singing during this year, to my ears, rivals his absolute best pre-hiatus vocals, and Brent's backing vocals mix perfectly. I have never heard the Dick's Picks from 1982, but the Road Trips (4/6/82) is one of my absolute favorite releases from the 80's. That said, understanding that those Road Trips are not available on Spotify, I would *strongly* recommend veering off the beaten path and checking out these two bootleg shows on the Archive:

Frost Amphitheatre 10/9:
https://archive.org/details/gd1982-10-0 ... eok.flac16

Frost Amphitheatre 10/10:
https://archive.org/details/gd1982-10-1 ... 970.flac16

These are both matrices by Hunter Seamons, who has done about 120 of these -- not all sound as good as these, but the best ones are incredible. I'm not kidding when I say these are two of my favorite Dead shows ever -- they should be a box set.

PostPosted: Fri September 11, 2020 12:20 pm 
Fake NYC Setlist Relayer

Kevin Davis wrote:
I have never found much I've loved in 1981. However, 1982 is fantastic -- weirdly, Jerry's singing during this year, to my ears, rivals his absolute best pre-hiatus vocals, and Brent's backing vocals mix perfectly. I have never heard the Dick's Picks from 1982, but the Road Trips (4/6/82) is one of my absolute favorite releases from the 80's. That said, understanding that those Road Trips are not available on Spotify, I would *strongly* recommend veering off the beaten path and checking out these two bootleg shows on the Archive:

Frost Amphitheatre 10/9:

These are both matrices by Hunter Seamons, who has done about 120 of these -- not all sound as good as these, but the best ones are incredible. I'm not kidding when I say these are two of my favorite Dead shows ever -- they should be a box set.

Temporarily offline, but I will add them to the mix.

PostPosted: Fri September 11, 2020 9:14 pm 
Fake NYC Setlist Relayer

Bobby and the Midnites

As a refresher, jumping into a side project from Bob Weir. This album has quite a few little gems and sort of sounds like typical Bob Weir with an 80s pop rock vibe (it reminded me a little of almost Bob Weir meets
Huey Lewis or something). Haze, Book of Rules, (I Want to) Fly Away, and Festival were all interesting highlights, and there really are no pure low lights here. Just good to very good fun rock music. Not anything to put a lot of your energy into but a fun side track into what he was working on at the time. Better than Heaven Help the Fool but not nearly as good as Ace.

PostPosted: Sat September 12, 2020 12:20 am 
tl;dr

liebzz wrote:
Kevin Davis wrote:

Frost Amphitheatre 10/9:

Temporarily offline, but I will add them to the mix.

Great! Looks like it's back. Weekend listening!

PostPosted: Sat September 12, 2020 12:27 am 
Fake NYC Setlist Relayer

Yeah those shows will be after Dicks Picks 32, which is from August ‘82.

PostPosted: Sun September 13, 2020 3:18 pm 
Fake NYC Setlist Relayer

Dick’s Picks Vol. 32 - Alpine Valley Music Theater, East Troy, WI 8/7/82

I get what you are all saying about ‘82. Where is seemed Brent Mydland was maybe not a disaster but perhaps not the best fit in ‘80 and ‘81, and maybe where the shows as a complete night we’re dragging a bit, ‘82 seems to have fixed the problem. This show is pretty outstanding, and it could be in part the song selection, which is really great, it’s also the performances, which are 100% on their game. There is an early recording issue where the vocals seem a little echoing, but that is fixed in time and actually doesn’t pull from the performance quality. They had a good night here and this is the best show I have heard so far in the 80s (those two recommended shows come next so this could be eclipsed quickly). This whole first set is perfection front to back. The second set is also excellent as they seem to be finding the right balance again on Playing in the Band, and it was great to hear Ship of Fools and One More Saturday Night.

Set 1: The Music Never Stopped > Sugaree > The Music Never Stopped, Me & My Uncle > Big River, It Must Have Been the Roses, C.C. Rider, Ramble On Rose, Beat It On Down the Line, On the Road Again, Althea, Let It Grow

Set 2: China Cat Sunflower > I Know You Rider, Man Smart Woman Smarter, Ship of Fools, Playing in the Band > Drums > Space > The Wheel > Playing in the Band, Morning Dew, One More Saturday Night

Encore: US Blues

PostPosted: Mon September 14, 2020 7:15 pm 
Future Drummer

Yeah, that run from Ship until US Blues is wild!

PostPosted: Mon September 14, 2020 7:18 pm 
Fake NYC Setlist Relayer

I am in the midst of the 10/9 show. Great suggestion!

PostPosted: Mon September 14, 2020 7:19 pm 
Future Drummer

Also, if I had a time machine, I'd opt for a GNARLY early 80s, pre-Touch head show, prob at MSG. Something just gross and quasi scary, the latest Dave's Picks (4/20/84) kinda checks all those boxes.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 833 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31 ... 42  Next

Board index » Word on the Street » Other Bands