The board's server will undergo upgrade maintenance tonight, Nov 5, 2014, beginning approximately around 10 PM ET. Prepare for some possible down time during this process.
FAQ    Search

Board index » Word on the Street » Other Bands

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 859 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 39, 40, 41, 42, 43
 Post subject: Re: Grateful Dead
PostPosted: Tue April 23, 2024 1:56 pm 
Fake NYC Setlist Relayer

Dick’s Picks Vol. 29 has two shows: Atlanta 5/19/77, and Lakeland, FL 5/20/77. The second show is an all timer, and really part and parcel of the Pembroke Pines show the next night. I did that run in the Essential Live Albums thread and those are two of my favorites, though Cornell is also up there - in that spot I did like 6 Dead shows in a row from Spring 77.

PostPosted: Tue April 23, 2024 2:09 pm 
Misplaced My Sponge

The whole year of '77 from what I've heard so far is great.

If I had to pick like only three years to listen to, I'd probably go 1972 (Fall is equally as good as Spring, but I do miss Pig), 1977, and then...I don't know, It would be between 1971, 1973, or 1974. 1971 because of Spring 71, 1973 because I love the jazzy jams and the intro of the 'Wake of the Flood' songs, especially 'Eyes'. 1974 because the amazing, but ridiculous wall of sound shows.

Also, I haven't really mentioned much Brent, but he's great too. I love DP vol. 5 (12/26/79) and most of the 1980 shows I've heard so far. They band has a new energy with Brent and I'm digging it. I also like the two shows I've heard from 1985 (DP vol. 21: 11/01/85 - Richmond VA and Dave's 49: 4/26 & 27/85 - Palo Alto CA). Like you mentioned as well, the late 80's to Spring 90 is really solid too; I liked 3/27/88 - Download Series vol. 5, Hampton VA.

Overall most of my Grateful Dead listening centers between 1971 - 1981.

PostPosted: Mon April 29, 2024 11:04 am 
Fake NYC Setlist Relayer

Gotta say that Joe Russo’s Almost Dead is one of my favorite bands right now, which is kind of bizarre in that they don’t play their own songs. But they are so so great at what they do it’s hard to deny them.

PostPosted: Wed May 01, 2024 1:17 pm 
Misplaced My Sponge

liebzz wrote:
Dick’s Picks Vol. 29 has two shows: Atlanta 5/19/77, and Lakeland, FL 5/20/77. The second show is an all timer, and really part and parcel of the Pembroke Pines show the next night. I did that run in the Essential Live Albums thread and those are two of my favorites, though Cornell is also up there - in that spot I did like 6 Dead shows in a row from Spring 77.

DP 29 is fantastic and probably has my favorite versions of Surgaree and Me & My Uncle. That whole 3 night stretch like you said is maybe the best three live nights for the Dead. I also really like Baltimore (5/26/77 - Dave's 41). That Baltimore show has one of my favorite "Big River" covers, the boys are fire throughout the song. If it doesn't get you out of your seat shaking your ass, I don't know what song will; it's a barnburner.

Listening to DP 8 right now, since it's the closest thing I had to a May 1st. show (5/2/70). After this maybe go back to Dark Matter, then back to the Dead for Paris, 5/4/72 (I have 5/3/72 as well but listened to it more recently).

PostPosted: Wed May 01, 2024 1:29 pm 
Fake NYC Setlist Relayer

Impressive - I once fancied the idea of listening in order through all of Europe ‘72 but the set lists are maybe too similar to do that straight through.

PostPosted: Wed May 01, 2024 1:39 pm 
tl;dr

Dave's Picks 50 (5/3 and 5/4/77) just landed for me last night. Only through the first few songs but sounds awesome so far. Planning to play the rest later today :thumbsup:

PostPosted: Wed May 01, 2024 1:46 pm 
Misplaced My Sponge

liebzz wrote:
Impressive - I once fancied the idea of listening in order through all of Europe ‘72 but the set lists are maybe too similar to do that straight through.

Oh definitely. My one gripe with that Europe 72 run is not enough song rotation. Why they didn't bust out Operator while they had Pig still, or Ripple, or a few others I'll never get. Keith deserved to play Ripple at least once live, he would have been beautiful on it. Set lists aside, I think the sound of the Dead during that run is near peak, and I cannot get enough of Keith and Pig together. They sound perfect together on songs like Ramble On Rose. But yeah, I generally like to pick out of few shows from that run to listen to this time of year. I've actually never listened to 5/24/72, so that's on my list in a few weeks. It opens with Cold Rain & Snow, and it's always a good time when they do that.

PostPosted: Wed May 01, 2024 1:47 pm 
Misplaced My Sponge

Kevin Davis wrote:
Dave's Picks 50 (5/3 and 5/4/77) just landed for me last night. Only through the first few songs but sounds awesome so far. Planning to play the rest later today :thumbsup:

:hooray:

I forgot to get 50, I'll see if they still have any. I was pleasantly surprised with 49. I don't know much at all about 1985, so it was cool to go through it.

PostPosted: Wed May 01, 2024 2:22 pm 
Fake NYC Setlist Relayer

darth_vedder wrote:
liebzz wrote:

Oh definitely. My one gripe with that Europe 72 run is not enough song rotation. Why they didn't bust out Operator while they had Pig still, or Ripple, or a few others I'll never get. Keith deserved to play Ripple at least once live, he would have been beautiful on it. Set lists aside, I think the sound of the Dead during that run is near peak, and I cannot get enough of Keith and Pig together. They sound perfect together on songs like Ramble On Rose. But yeah, I generally like to pick out of few shows from that run to listen to this time of year. I've actually never listened to 5/24/72, so that's on my list in a few weeks. It opens with Cold Rain & Snow, and it's always a good time when they do that.

It was either the JRAD show from 2023 I attended or the Phil & Friends show a couple months after that where I saw a Cold Rain & Snow I think open the show. It surprised me despite the fact that I would have no idea what their set lists work through. Both shows were phenomenal.

PostPosted: Wed May 01, 2024 2:31 pm 
tl;dr

darth_vedder wrote:
Kevin Davis wrote:

I forgot to get 50, I'll see if they still have any. I was pleasantly surprised with 49. I don't know much at all about 1985, so it was cool to go through it.

That '85-'86 period is the Dead's nadir for me, with the exception of their last few years. Garcia's vocals are so rough. There was some good stuff on 49 though -- the "She Belongs to Me" cover especially really scratched me where I itched.

PostPosted: Wed May 01, 2024 3:24 pm 
Misplaced My Sponge

liebzz wrote:
darth_vedder wrote:
liebzz wrote:

It was either the JRAD show from 2023 I attended or the Phil & Friends show a couple months after that where I saw a Cold Rain & Snow I think open the show. It surprised me despite the fact that I would have no idea what their set lists work through. Both shows were phenomenal.

:thumbsup: They only played it twice during that Europe '72 run, 4/17/72 and 5/24/72. Another favorite of mine is DP vol. 5, 12/26/79. It also has a Cold Rain & Snow opener, and is all around a great show. I really like those early Brent years.

PostPosted: Wed May 01, 2024 3:28 pm 
tl;dr

One of my all time favorite releases is Road Trips 4/6/82 from the Spectrum (also has a "Cold Rain" opener if memory serves, or at least it shows up early). Anyway, I agree that the early Brent years are excellent -- 1982 in particular is a high point for me.

PostPosted: Wed May 01, 2024 3:29 pm 
Misplaced My Sponge

Kevin Davis wrote:
darth_vedder wrote:
Kevin Davis wrote:

That '85-'86 period is the Dead's nadir for me, with the exception of their last few years. Garcia's vocals are so rough. There was some good stuff on 49 though -- the "She Belongs to Me" cover especially really scratched me where I itched.

Yeah, I don't think your are too off from what I've heard, though '95 would probably be my nadir. I thought the playing was pretty good on Dave's 49 and the energy was pretty solid too. I definitely seem some similarities with PJ from those glorious early and mid years to the later years. Not that they are bad, but just not as good overall.

PostPosted: Wed May 01, 2024 3:31 pm 
Misplaced My Sponge

Kevin Davis wrote:
One of my all time favorite releases is Road Trips 4/6/82 from the Spectrum (also has a "Cold Rain" opener if memory serves, or at least it shows up early). Anyway, I agree that the early Brent years are excellent -- 1982 in particular is a high point for me.

1982 could get "most underrated" year. I love that Road Trips album you mentioned. The recent MSG shows from 81 were pretty good too, and of course some of those official releases like Reckoning and Go To Nassau.

PostPosted: Wed May 01, 2024 3:31 pm 
tl;dr

darth_vedder wrote:
Kevin Davis wrote:
darth_vedder wrote:
Kevin Davis wrote:

Yeah, I don't think your are too off from what I've heard, though '95 would probably be my nadir. I thought the playing was pretty good on Dave's 49 and the energy was pretty solid too. I definitely seem some similarities with PJ from those glorious early and mid years to the later years. Not that they are bad, but just not as good overall.

Instrumentally the band sounds great in '85 -- tightly-wound, spring-loaded. To me it's really just all about Garcia's voice -- really hard to listen to. The performance of "Mississippi Half Step" on Dave's 49 is one of the saddest vocal performances I've ever heard by an artist I otherwise like. We think Eddie's voice has gone downhill....man alive.

He definitely had a bit of a renaissance in the late '80's, early '90's, but man...really rough for a few years there.

PostPosted: Wed May 01, 2024 3:42 pm 
Misplaced My Sponge

Kevin Davis wrote:
darth_vedder wrote:
Kevin Davis wrote:
darth_vedder wrote:
Kevin Davis wrote:

Instrumentally the band sounds great in '85 -- tightly-wound, spring-loaded. To me it's really just all about Garcia's voice -- really hard to listen to. The performance of "Mississippi Half Step" on Dave's 49 is one of the saddest vocal performances I've ever heard by an artist I otherwise like. We think Eddie's voice has gone downhill....man alive.

He definitely had a bit of a renaissance in the late '80's, early '90's, but man...really rough for a few years there.

Yeah, that was a pretty rough one. Overall I'm not going to seek out a heck of a lot past '82. I do like some '88, '89, and '90 shows though. That was like there last hoorah with Brent and they sounded great.

PostPosted: Wed May 01, 2024 3:44 pm 
Misplaced My Sponge

Alright, so for the real question....

Primal Dancin' from 1970 or Disco Dancin' from 1977? My brain says primal, but my feet and hips say disco.

PostPosted: Thu May 02, 2024 6:14 pm 
tl;dr

Primal for me, but I like both

PostPosted: Thu May 02, 2024 6:25 pm 
Fake NYC Setlist Relayer

I prefer the disco one weirdly.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 859 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 39, 40, 41, 42, 43

Board index » Word on the Street » Other Bands