Switch to full style
Other than Pearl Jam, who else is there?
Post a reply

Weezer

Tue October 07, 2014 4:45 am

new album out today. Has a Maladroit sound to it. After a first listen there isn't much that stands out, but nothing really bad. Par for the course these days?

Re: Weezer

Tue October 07, 2014 6:36 am

funny lyrics on Back to the Shack.

Why does he sound like the dude from Phoenix? Why does everyone sound like the dude from Phoenix?

Tue October 07, 2014 6:47 am

It's too bad weezer went to shit. I even enjoyed the red album. I was listening to Rivers on Marc Maron the other day and Rivers mentioned that Pinkerton getting panned basically ruined his confidence. It's interesting to think what Weezer would have been if Rivers had stuck to his guns, and not gone into exile for 5 years working out the Green album which ultimately sucked.

Tue October 07, 2014 10:33 am

Even Green has some good ideas and solid melodies (I really love "Smile" and "Simple Pages") but yeah, it's completely safe and formulaic, a direct reaction to Pinkerton's crushing critical and commercial failure. Maladroit is a very fun album with some really good tunes. After that, though? Mostly dreck. A few salvageable singles ("Pork and Beans" and "If You're Wondering..." are catchy pop songs with some zest to them) but mostly a lot of really confusing artistic decisions. This new single "Back to the Shack" made me kinda sad to listen to, because it feels like such a statement of utter defeat. "Hey, we tried some crap, but here's more rock music for you. We like rock music, right? Doesn't this kinda sound like the Blue album? It totally sounds like the Blue album. Fight to get it back again, yeah yeah yeah yeah."

I listened to Pinkerton again the other day. Floored. Still one of my favorite albums.

Tue October 07, 2014 12:25 pm

theplatypus wrote:"Hey, we tried some crap, but here's more rock music for you. We like rock music, right? Doesn't this kinda sound like the Blue album? It totally sounds like the Blue album. Fight to get it back again, yeah yeah yeah yeah."

Im glad I didnt get impatient and start writing my fight to get it back again post before realizing jorge already had done so.

Tue October 07, 2014 1:28 pm

But it's so blatant, and maybe even honest. In any case, there is no forgiving Beverly Hills, and this band is creatively bankrupt, if they were ever really creative in the first place, but I appreciated the apology.

But seriously, Beverly Hills is unforgivable.

Tue October 07, 2014 1:44 pm

BurtReynolds wrote:But it's so blatant, and maybe even honest. In any case, there is no forgiving Beverly Hills, and this band is creatively bankrupt, if they were ever really creative in the first place, but I appreciated the apology.

Oh man that song makes me rage

Tue October 07, 2014 1:46 pm

I loved Make Believe. I thought was a top three Weezer album, their best since Pinkerton. The Red Album was fun, some nice songs, some forgettable songs. The best stuff was left off the album. Ms Sweeney is one of my all time favorite by them.

Then I didn't really listen to anything after that. I've been listening to this new one for about a week now and I like it a lot.

Tue October 07, 2014 1:51 pm

durdencommatyler wrote:I loved Make Believe... top three album...

that is Stippian in its grotesque absurdity.

Tue October 07, 2014 1:57 pm

Seriously, Make Believe is one of my least favorites. "We Are All On Drugs"? "My Best Friend"? Fuck that album. The only worthwhile song in there may be "Peace".

Tue October 07, 2014 2:06 pm

theplatypus wrote:Seriously, Make Believe is one of my least favorites. "We Are All On Drugs"? "My Best Friend"? Fuck that album. The only worthwhile song in there may be "Peace".

Yep, Peace is a good one.

Tue October 07, 2014 2:21 pm

The Rivers Cuomo episode of WTF is kind of insane. That guy is scary, man. I felt like Maron was walking on eggshells the whole time.

Do you think Cuomo has ever killed anyone?

Tue October 07, 2014 3:05 pm

Have you guys listened to the whole album? Back to the Shack is a mess but there are actually some really nice tunes on this one.

I think it'll sit right alongside Maladroit and Green which I put at 3 & 4.

much better than the last two and if we don't count the Red b-sides it's better than that one as well as Make Believe

Tue October 07, 2014 4:28 pm

theplatypus wrote:Seriously, Make Believe is one of my least favorites. "We Are All On Drugs"? "My Best Friend"? Fuck that album. The only worthwhile song in there may be "Peace".

It's so goofy and shameless. It's got it's heart on its sleeve and lacks any pretension. And there's so much energy. It's a bouncy record that's just fun to listen to. And did I mention it's so fucking goofy?! I love it.

Tue October 07, 2014 4:29 pm

gardenparty wrote:Have you guys listened to the whole album? Back to the Shack is a mess but there are actually some really nice tunes on this one.

much better than the last two and if we don't count the Red b-sides it's better than that one as well as Make Believe

I think, in the end, I'll like this one more than Make Believe. It's still too new, for me. But I really like it. It'll probably take that number 3 spot before too long.

And I hated Maladroit. Which makes me a bad Weezer fan. But whatever.

Tue October 07, 2014 4:30 pm

durdencommatyler wrote:

It's so goofy and shameless. It's got it's heart on its sleeve and lacks any pretension. And there's so much energy. It's a bouncy record that's just fun to listen to. And did I mention it's so fucking goofy?! I love it.

You listed all the reasons why I love Blue. Unfortunately I don't hear much of that on Make Believe. I just hear crappy songs.

Tue October 07, 2014 4:38 pm

theplatypus wrote:
durdencommatyler wrote:

You listed all the reasons why I love Blue. Unfortunately I don't hear much of that on Make Believe. I just hear crappy songs.

Sure. Blue is WAY better. There's a significant drop-off from Blue to Make Believe. But in context, coming out of what I thought was a disaster of an album, it felt good and familiar without feeling too shopworn and repetitive.

Pinkerton and Blue are still my two favorites. Those albums will always be two of my favorite albums from the 90s by any band. They've been real hit/miss since. This new one has some legs, I think. And Make Believe is the only other album they've released that I listened to from beginning to end with anything resembling regularity. But even at that, it's been a year or more since I've spun it.

Tue October 07, 2014 5:29 pm

i used to think the most severe and high-profile case of a great band completely cratering its career was weezer, but it's actually pearl jam now

Tue October 07, 2014 6:08 pm

durdencommatyler wrote:
gardenparty wrote:Have you guys listened to the whole album? Back to the Shack is a mess but there are actually some really nice tunes on this one.

I think, in the end, I'll like this one more than Make Believe. It's still too new, for me. But I really like it. It'll probably take that number 3 spot before too long.

And I hated Maladroit. Which makes me a bad Weezer fan. But whatever.

I have a lot of trouble with the majority of Make Believe but I put "Haunt You Everyday" as a top 10 weezer song. I enjoy "Hold Me" a lot and "Perfect Situation" is an excellent single

I didn't really care for the singles on Maladroit but love the songs like Slob, Slave, Take Control and Death and Deconstruction. Much darker vibe

Tue October 07, 2014 7:58 pm

BurtReynolds wrote:But it's so blatant, and maybe even honest. In any case, there is no forgiving Beverly Hills, and this band is creatively bankrupt, if they were ever really creative in the first place, but I appreciated the apology.

Beverly Hills pretty much killed this band for me. There were a couple of ok songs on Make Believe, but I haven't checked out anything since. I think the only song I've heard is Pork and Beans, which was just ok.

Blue Album - Maladroit was a nice run though. Blue & Pinkerton were awesome, Green was decent. I love Maladroit, some good heavy, kinda dark stuff on there.
Post a reply