Switch to full style
Other than Pearl Jam, who else is there?
Post a reply

Re: Post Random Music-Related Thoughts You Have

Mon October 19, 2020 1:51 am

Ello Sailor wrote:'The Logical Song' is so good. Fretless bass, interestingly timed chord changes, sax solo. I've heard it before but had no idea whose song it was. Thanks Jorge!

I was just look at at what's come up so far on the Rock's 2000 countdown - The Logical Song was ranked 1602

Mon October 19, 2020 5:11 pm

god I hate tame impala, Lonerism is supposed to be one of their good ones so why does it suck so much wow

Mon October 19, 2020 5:15 pm

I really loved Tame Impala, but somewhere between Currents and the most recent album I just completely lost interest.

I'm definitely going to see them live again, though.

Mon October 19, 2020 6:58 pm

i'm actually really glad that i opened this thread. it reminded me that i have until the end of the month to get a refund for my tame impala tickets for the postponed show.

Mon October 19, 2020 8:53 pm

WAP is awful. Plus it makes me feel old & white.

Mon October 19, 2020 8:53 pm

Biff Pocoroba wrote:WAP is awful. Plus it makes me feel old & white.

It just made me feel like I needed a shower after listening

Mon October 19, 2020 9:01 pm

Rangi Guy wrote:
Biff Pocoroba wrote:WAP is awful. Plus it makes me feel old & white.

It just made me feel like I needed a shower after listening

That too. If you've ever read the lyrics :shock:
And there's a lot of them too, it's a long song.

Mon October 19, 2020 9:16 pm

You sound like a couple of old white dudes.

Mon October 19, 2020 9:22 pm

Self wrote:You sound like a couple of old white dudes.

I am an old white dude

Mon October 19, 2020 9:26 pm

Rangi Guy wrote:
Self wrote:You sound like a couple of old white dudes.

I am an old white dude

I knew it!

Mon October 19, 2020 9:28 pm

yeah Impala is super boring.

Tue October 20, 2020 7:58 am

chewm wrote:god I hate tame impala, Lonerism is supposed to be one of their good ones so why does it suck so much wow

I think the instrumentals are cool sometimes but Kevin Parkers voice is so goddamn boring.

Tue October 20, 2020 9:09 am

TI does nothing for me either.

Tue October 20, 2020 11:08 am

The Tame Impala EP and his debut album are both good. I don’t care for the rest, which kinda descends into drivel for me - like he just got lost in his use of synths.

Tue October 20, 2020 5:16 pm

Building off this exchange in the Nels Cline thread:

tragabigzanda wrote:I really hope the new record maintains a similarish vibe throughout. I think that's what works so well for me about Lovers: I can listen to it front-to-back without interruption. Lots of his albums seem to alternate between languid vibey stuff, and more rocking uptempo stuff. Like Draw Breath has some of my favorite Nels songs, but I never want to listen to Attempted > Confection > An Evening At Pops > The Angel of Angels. All are awesome songs, but the mood shifts just don't work that well for me.

Birds in Hell wrote:I really like the mix between wistfulness and frenetic spazz on (most of) Nels' records.

I think that as I've gotten older, I have neither the time nor the inclination to only listen to music anymore. I rarely just sit with my headphones and, doing nothing else. I tend to consume music now as sort of elevated background noise. That is, I listen with attention, but I select my music based on what I'm doing in the moment, or who my company might be; and I listen to a handful of records multiple times to really take them in due to my distracted state.

Man, in my 20s I would just get blazed, put my headphones on, and lay down with my eyes closed.

Tue October 20, 2020 5:18 pm

I'll add that basically the only time I can listen to loud music -- whether it's Nels's more spastic stuff, or Shellac, or Soundgarden, or whatever -- is when I'm driving alone.

Tue October 20, 2020 6:58 pm

tragabigzanda wrote:I think that as I've gotten older, I have neither the time nor the inclination to only listen to music anymore. I rarely just sit with my headphones and, doing nothing else. I tend to consume music now as sort of elevated background noise. That is, I listen with attention, but I select my music based on what I'm doing in the moment, or who my company might be; and I listen to a handful of records multiple times to really take them in due to my distracted state.

I relate to this -- I do still take time for dedicated listening, but it's certainly rarer.

Honestly the worst part now is that every time I sit down with the intention of just listening to music I feel like I also need to get on the damn internet.

Tue October 20, 2020 7:04 pm

Kevin Davis wrote:
tragabigzanda wrote:I think that as I've gotten older, I have neither the time nor the inclination to only listen to music anymore. I rarely just sit with my headphones and, doing nothing else. I tend to consume music now as sort of elevated background noise. That is, I listen with attention, but I select my music based on what I'm doing in the moment, or who my company might be; and I listen to a handful of records multiple times to really take them in due to my distracted state.

I relate to this -- I do still take time for dedicated listening, but it's certainly rarer.

Honestly the worst part now is that every time I sit down with the intention of just listening to music I feel like I also need to get on the damn internet.

Yeah, for me it's cooking or cleaning, but same...I feel a need to accomplish other stuff.

Tue October 20, 2020 7:51 pm

Not really thoughts - just random news

https://boingboing.net/2020/10/20/phil-collins-ex-wife-has-allegedly-taken-over-his-mansion-with-armed-guards.html

Phil Collins' ex-wife has allegedly taken over his mansion with armed guards

Tue October 20, 2020 7:57 pm

We have a music news thread Rangi!!!
Post a reply