Switch to full style
Other than Pearl Jam, who else is there?
Post a reply

Re: Post Random Music-Related Thoughts You Have

Wed July 11, 2018 1:07 am

E.H. Ruddock wrote:Africa is one of the greatest songs of all time

Absolutely agree.

Wed July 11, 2018 1:32 am

I love live albums. Love hearing how band's face the challenges of taking studio creations and rendering them in real time.

Wed July 11, 2018 2:16 am

Depends on the band. There's a lot of live albums that sound lazy to me for that same reason - they can't match what they did in the album and instead of trying to they just fudge it through.

One of my favorites is the NPR show for Bon Iver's new album and it's amazing how close it comes.

Wed July 11, 2018 2:24 am

I love that live show. Bon Iver is one of the few ¨new¨ artists im dying to see live.

Wed July 11, 2018 11:43 am

surfndestroy wrote:I love live albums. Love hearing how band's face the challenges of taking studio creations and rendering them in real time.

100% agree. Some of my favorites come from this platform. Bob Marley and the Wailers Live! is pretty much my favorite of his releases. MMJ’s Okonokos is great. Most of the Pearl Jam music I listen to regularly are the live shows. Springsteen live recordings are amazing.

I often end up forming my opinion of a band by how well they play live, and there were bands that I finally really understood them once I saw them in a live setting (Springsteen in particular).

Wed July 11, 2018 3:12 pm

Saw that Richard Swift's family released a statement revealing his cause of death. Had no idea he was an alcoholic. Sounds like very similar circumstances to Jason Molina.

Shocking how much material those guys were still able to put out despite their struggles.

Wed July 11, 2018 3:20 pm

Higgs wrote:
E.H. Ruddock wrote:Africa is one of the greatest songs of all time

Absolutely agree.

Easily. Memes be damned, that song has always absolutely slayed.

Wed July 11, 2018 5:27 pm

guestT wrote:Saw that Richard Swift's family released a statement revealing his cause of death. Had no idea he was an alcoholic. Sounds like very similar circumstances to Jason Molina.

Shocking how much material those guys were still able to put out despite their struggles.

Alcoholics can be prolific.

Wed July 11, 2018 6:27 pm

i just heard a Julien Baker song on the radio that might have been one of the most grating songs i've heard in recent memory

Wed July 11, 2018 6:48 pm

bodysnatcher wrote:i just heard a Julien Baker song on the radio that might have been one of the most grating songs i've heard in recent memory

She is really up and down for me. I love a few of her songs and lots is just kinda meh.

Wed July 11, 2018 6:49 pm

Higgs wrote:
bodysnatcher wrote:i just heard a Julien Baker song on the radio that might have been one of the most grating songs i've heard in recent memory

She is really up and down for me. I love a few of her songs and lots is just kinda meh.

yeah agreed, there are a handful of songs that i like if i ever get the hankering to hear them. i was so taken aback by the one on the radio that i almost didn't believe it was her when i looked at the station's playlist

Wed July 11, 2018 6:52 pm

Which one was it? I like "Appointments" but the rest sound kinda samey to me.

Wed July 11, 2018 7:04 pm

"Happy To Be Here"

Wed July 11, 2018 8:21 pm

Yeah, grating is the right word.

Wed July 11, 2018 8:59 pm

I like it. Cool rhythmic displacement thing going on between the vocals and the guitar.

Wed July 11, 2018 9:38 pm

it sounds like a perfectly straight line. and when you get to the end, you start back at the beginning. like walking into the left edge of the screen on a Nintendo game, and appearing on the right.

and whiny as eff.

Wed July 11, 2018 10:42 pm

Yeah I think that's deliberate.

Wed July 11, 2018 11:19 pm

theplatypus wrote:Yeah I think that's deliberate.

well it was a terrible deliberate decision

Wed July 11, 2018 11:20 pm

radio station just played "Tom's Diner" back to back, one on mp3, second on vinyl. to see if anyone could tell a difference.

Wed July 11, 2018 11:22 pm

i'd rather hear tom traubert's blues back to back
Post a reply