Switch to full style
Other than Pearl Jam, who else is there?
Post a reply

Re: Post Random Music-Related Thoughts You Have

Wed November 15, 2017 3:12 am

The Life of RobLowe

Wed November 15, 2017 4:37 am

LoathedVermin72 wrote:I have zero interest in alternate takes or live versions of songs.

Same for the most part.

Wed November 15, 2017 4:11 pm

LoathedVermin72 wrote:I have zero interest in alternate takes or live versions of songs.

On that same note: I hate it when I'm listening to a greatest hits album and the band is like, "Hey, this live version is obviously better than the studio one" and I'm like nope, not even close.

Wed November 15, 2017 6:23 pm

What about Cheap Trick's Surrender?

Thu November 16, 2017 5:42 pm

Maybe it's the mix on that one, because I'm not sure I've noticed it's live. Or maybe I only hear it in soundtracks and commercials?

Thu November 16, 2017 5:43 pm

Surely he means I Want You to Want Me?

Thu November 16, 2017 6:10 pm

LV is right. There are two Cheap Trick songs and I pick the wrong one. :shake:

Thu November 16, 2017 8:23 pm

The first Cheap Trick album is fucking flawless.

Thu November 16, 2017 8:28 pm

This might be my favorite single page in all of the Other Bands sub-forum. I can't stop giggling.

Thu November 16, 2017 11:30 pm

Self wrote:LV is right. There are two Cheap Trick songs and I pick the wrong one. :shake:

In that case: yes, the live version is acceptable. Probably because I've heard it more than the studio.

And example of each: Neil Diamond's greatest hits has a few live songs but because I've only ever listened to the GH album I don't have anything to compare it to. On the flipside, Don Henley's GH album has live versions of Mandolin Rain and The Way It Is and neither of those sound good live.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Thu November 16, 2017 11:33 pm

I like the live version of Martin Sexton's "Hallelujah" more than the studio version and I often put that live version on mixes/playlists.

But as a general rule, yeah, I agree with LV that studio versions are where I'm at.

Fri November 17, 2017 5:08 am

I love live albums, and depending on the artist am happy to have them in copious quantities. For many of my favorite artists, the studio albums alone just don't tell the whole story.

Fri November 17, 2017 2:31 pm

Then you have people like Townes Van Zandt, whose studio albums are basically unlistenable.

Fri November 17, 2017 4:18 pm

Kevin Davis wrote:I love live albums, and depending on the artist am happy to have them in copious quantities. For many of my favorite artists, the studio albums alone just don't tell the whole story.

For me, live music is about being in the room. A ton is lost on me when listening to live music that isn't being played live in front of me. Obviously, there are exceptions. I grew up listening to the Eagles. And love 'em or hate 'em the Eagles Live album will always be my favorite Eagles record. So, there are exceptions. But in general...

Fri November 24, 2017 3:28 pm

I love the effect Daft Punk uses where it sounds you are outside a club and the music is all muffled.

Fri November 24, 2017 4:07 pm

bune wrote:
Self wrote:LV is right. There are two Cheap Trick songs and I pick the wrong one. :shake:

In that case: yes, the live version is acceptable. Probably because I've heard it more than the studio.

And example of each: Neil Diamond's greatest hits has a few live songs but because I've only ever listened to the GH album I don't have anything to compare it to. On the flipside, Don Henley's GH album has live versions of Mandolin Rain and The Way It Is and neither of those sound good live.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Don't you mean Bruce Hornsby? Keep your old dudes straight man

Mon November 27, 2017 1:48 am

steve earle's "El Corazon" is alt country rock perfection. Top to bottom.

Mon November 27, 2017 2:53 am

bart wrote:Then you have people like Townes Van Zandt, whose studio albums are basically unlistenable.

this seems extreme.

Tue December 12, 2017 8:32 pm

You guys think Robert Smith ever gets tired of his hair?

Wed December 13, 2017 11:47 am

bodysnatcher wrote:You guys think Robert Smith ever gets tired of his hair?

his hair probably gets more tired of him
Post a reply