Switch to full style
Other than Pearl Jam, who else is there?
Post a reply

Re: Post Random Music-Related Thoughts You Have

Fri February 24, 2023 5:01 pm

Jorge wrote:
bodysnatcher wrote:I don’t enjoy cover songs that don’t bring something new to the song. What’s the point otherwise? I don’t care about hearing another person’s voice just singing a song I already know that’s just not as good of a rendition. It’s safe and boring and a waste of time. Just go perform at a Guitar Center while I listen to the original that is apparently good enough on its own to warrant someone trying to copy it.

What cover song prompted this?

Even worse than the safe cover song is the "reimagined as an atmospheric soundtrack piece for our new movie trailer."

Fri February 24, 2023 5:03 pm

Slow, moody cover of an upbeat song is extremely played out

Fri February 24, 2023 5:20 pm

i hate this trend of 80s hit that kids dont know about being covered into an acoustic or moody song

Fri February 24, 2023 5:23 pm

Jorge wrote:
bodysnatcher wrote:I don’t enjoy cover songs that don’t bring something new to the song. What’s the point otherwise? I don’t care about hearing another person’s voice just singing a song I already know that’s just not as good of a rendition. It’s safe and boring and a waste of time. Just go perform at a Guitar Center while I listen to the original that is apparently good enough on its own to warrant someone trying to copy it.

I was sitting in silence and just thinking

Fri February 24, 2023 5:40 pm

bodysnatcher wrote:
Jorge wrote:

I was sitting in silence and just thinking

The Sound of Silence cover by Disturbed is an atrocity.

Fri February 24, 2023 5:40 pm

tragabigzanda wrote:
Jorge wrote:

Even worse than the safe cover song is the "reimagined as an atmospheric soundtrack piece for our new movie trailer."
Yes, this is the worst! That wispy faux-indie/folk bullshit.

Fri February 24, 2023 6:28 pm

Yeah that is true

Maybe I just don’t like covers in general

Fri February 24, 2023 6:28 pm

Except for Limp Bizkit’s Faith

Fri February 24, 2023 6:29 pm

Jorge wrote:Slow, moody cover of an upbeat song is extremely played out

Definitely seen an uptick in recent years, particularly for use in movie trailers.

What's the earliest example of this? The best I can come up with is Marilyn Manson covering Eurythmics' "Sweet Dreams" in '95. Surely it had been done before that.

Whatcha got, Rimmers?

Fri February 24, 2023 6:48 pm

I remember that Gears of War trailer had that cover of Mad World, then every fucking game and most movies had to have one. The worst.

Fri February 24, 2023 6:55 pm

I might entertain the idea of a slow moody cover of songs that have no business being slow and moody, like if someone did a strange dark cover of “Cum On Feel The Noize”

Fri February 24, 2023 6:57 pm

Fuck slow, downbeat shit altogether. Music for mopey losers.

Fri February 24, 2023 7:00 pm

What we need is someone to turn Elliott Smith songs into some disco bangers

Fri February 24, 2023 7:02 pm

bodysnatcher wrote:I might entertain the idea of a slow moody cover of songs that have no business being slow and moody, like if someone did a strange dark cover of “Cum On Feel The Noize”

Richard Cheese kinda already did this, bro. Maybe not moody, but it's basically the same thing.

Fri February 24, 2023 7:02 pm

Ello Sailor wrote:
bodysnatcher wrote:I might entertain the idea of a slow moody cover of songs that have no business being slow and moody, like if someone did a strange dark cover of “Cum On Feel The Noize”

Richard Cheese kinda already did this, bro. Maybe not moody, but it's basically the same thing.

I am Dick Cheese

Fri February 24, 2023 7:04 pm

I am curious Kurious Oranj.

Sat February 25, 2023 2:20 am

*EDIT I know trag and Jorge will love this

Sat February 25, 2023 2:42 am

Oh my god

Sat February 25, 2023 2:50 am

Yeah that's... not good.

Sat February 25, 2023 6:24 am

i retract my post. can a mod please erase it, and that link
Post a reply