The board's server will undergo upgrade maintenance tonight, Nov 5, 2014, beginning approximately around 10 PM ET. Prepare for some possible down time during this process.
FAQ    Search

Board index » Word on the Street » Other Bands

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 11585 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 316, 317, 318, 319, 320, 321, 322 ... 580  Next
 Post subject: Re: Post Random Music-Related Thoughts You Have
PostPosted: Sat July 06, 2019 2:47 am 
Legacy of Love
 WWW  Profile

Kevin Davis wrote:
durdencommatyler wrote:
I'd give just about anything to go back in time and see the Rolling Thunder Revue shows.

Looking for a +1?

I'll be the Bill to your Ted about day, Stallion. :heartbeat:

PostPosted: Sun July 07, 2019 8:05 pm 
Fake NYC Setlist Relayer

I got a little while to relax. I have chosen Neil Young’s On the Beach. I made a good choice. This is another artist I’d love to visit the whole catalogue through but this is even more daunting than Springsteen!

PostPosted: Sun July 07, 2019 8:06 pm 
Production Police

liebzz wrote:
I got a little while to relax. I have chosen Neil Young’s On the Beach. I made a good choice. This is another artist I’d love to visit the whole catalogue through but this is even more daunting than Springsteen!

Between me and strat, we could make you a dependable list of "Don't Miss," "When You're Ready," and "If You Have The Time" albums.

PostPosted: Sun July 07, 2019 8:16 pm 
Fake NYC Setlist Relayer

Yeah I would say over the years I have heard maybe a third or more of his albums.

PostPosted: Sun July 07, 2019 8:25 pm 
Production Police

Oh LV did a full listen like a year ago, there are probably some helpful posts about that as well.

Generally speaking, I think his Ditch Trilogy is his apex (Time Fades Away > On The Beach > Tonight's The Night), most of his Crazy Horse stuff slays, he had an amazing late-career resurgence (from around '94-'05), and then strat seems to enjoy the Promise of the Real stuff much more than I do. There are some one-offs that are worth checking out too.

Not to be missed
Everybody Knows This Is Nowhere
After The Goldrush
Harvest
Time Fades Away
On The Beach
Tonight's the Night
Zuma
American Stars N' Bars
Reactor
Trans [this one is very divisive, but I love it]
Ragged Glory
Sleeps With Angels
Mirror Ball
Silver & Gold
Prairie Wind

PostPosted: Sun July 07, 2019 8:26 pm 
Fake NYC Setlist Relayer

On a quick view, I own physical copies of Everyone Knows This is Nowhere, After the Goldrush, Harvest,On the Beach, Decade, Comes a Time, Hawks & Doves, Re-Ac-Tor, Trans, Freedom, Mirrorball, Silver & Gold, Are You Passionate, Greendale, Prairie Wind, Living With War, Live at Fillmore East, Live at Massey Hall, Fork in the Road, Americans, Psychedelic Pill. The older albums I pick up when I get to a record store and find them used.

PostPosted: Sun July 07, 2019 8:28 pm 
Production Police

liebzz wrote:
On a quick view, I own physical copies of Everyone Knows This is Nowhere, After the Goldrush, Harvest,On the Beach, Decade, Comes a Time, Hawks & Doves, Re-Ac-Tor, Trans, Freedom, Mirrorball, Silver & Gold, Are You Passionate, Greendale, Prairie Wind, Living With War, Live at Fillmore East, Live at Massey Hall, Fork in the Road, Americans, Psychedelic Pill. The older albums I pick up when I get to a record store and find them used.

:thumbsup: That's a great collection right there, I'm assuming you've listened to them all? I would suggest diving into Tonight's The Night, Time Fades Away, and/or Zuma next.

PostPosted: Sun July 07, 2019 8:35 pm 
Looks Like a Cat

tragabigzanda wrote:
Oh LV did a full listen like a year ago, there are probably some helpful posts about that as well.

Generally speaking, I think his Ditch Trilogy is his apex (Time Fades Away > On The Beach > Tonight's The Night), most of his Crazy Horse stuff slays, he had an amazing late-career resurgence (from around '94-'05), and then strat seems to enjoy the Promise of the Real stuff much more than I do. There are some one-offs that are worth checking out too.

Not to be missed
After The Goldrush
Harvest
Time Fades Away
On The Beach
Tonight's the Night
Zuma
American Stars N' Bars
Reactor
Ragged Glory
Sleeps With Angels
Mirror Ball
Silver & Gold
Prairie Wind

Silver & Gold is very good. Any love for Hawks and Doves and Comes a Time?

PostPosted: Sun July 07, 2019 8:44 pm 
Fake NYC Setlist Relayer

Yeah, at one point or another. I most often go back to Everyone Knows This Is Nowhere. But have been meaning for many years to find the missing Crazy Horse albums since I tend to like those the most.

PostPosted: Sun July 07, 2019 8:47 pm 
Production Police

washing machine wrote:
tragabigzanda wrote:

Not to be missed
After The Goldrush
Harvest
Time Fades Away
On The Beach
Tonight's the Night
Zuma
American Stars N' Bars
Reactor
Ragged Glory
Sleeps With Angels
Mirror Ball
Silver & Gold
Prairie Wind

Silver & Gold is very good. Any love for Hawks and Doves and Comes a Time?

I find Hawks & Doves to be a very mixed bag. I'd personally put Comes A Time in the "When you have the time to get to it" category, but by all means make your case.

PostPosted: Sun July 07, 2019 8:58 pm 
Looks Like a Cat

I really like that down home sound.

PostPosted: Sun July 07, 2019 9:12 pm 
NEVER STOP JAMMING!

I’ve sent out the Strat Signal

PostPosted: Sun July 07, 2019 9:17 pm 
tl;dr

"Rust Never Sleeps" is probably my favorite Neil Young album, and absolutely belongs on any "must-hear" list, certainly over the likes of "Re-Ac-Tor" and "Prairie Wind." Though personally I find Neil's career has far fewer low points than the received wisdom would have you believe. Everything up through the mid-2000's is either (a) very good to essential, or (b) a weird/interesting failure that at least contains a few top-shelf songs ("Landing on Water" may be the one exception to this). And even since then, there's plenty that's worth your time (I like "Le Noise," "Americana," "Psychedelic Pill," "A Letter Home," and "Storytone"; I'm less crazy about "Fork in the Road," "Peace Trail," and the Promise of the Real stuff).

PostPosted: Sun July 07, 2019 9:20 pm 
Production Police

Kevin Davis wrote:
"Rust Never Sleeps" is probably my favorite Neil Young album, and absolutely belongs on any "must-hear" list, certainly over the likes of "Re-Ac-Tor" and "Prairie Wind." Though personally I find Neil's career has far fewer low points than the received wisdom would have you believe. Everything up through the mid-2000's is either (a) very good to essential, or (b) a weird/interesting failure that at least contains a few top-shelf songs ("Landing on Water" may be the one exception to this). And even since then, there's plenty that's worth your time (I like "Le Noise," "Americana," "Psychedelic Pill," "A Letter Home," and "Storytone"; I'm less crazy about "Fork in the Road," "Peace Trail," and the Promise of the Real stuff).

D'oh, can't believe I forgot Rust Never Sleeps. Was just a lazy oversight on my part.

PostPosted: Sun July 07, 2019 9:21 pm 
The Master

tragabigzanda wrote:

Not to be missed
After The Goldrush
Harvest
Time Fades Away
On The Beach
Tonight's the Night
Zuma
American Stars N' Bars
Reactor
Ragged Glory
Sleeps With Angels
Mirror Ball
Silver & Gold
Prairie Wind

False. I hate the POTR stuff. They're an incredible live band for him but the material is god awful except for maybe 1 ridiculous song.

PostPosted: Sun July 07, 2019 9:21 pm 
The Master

oh hey guys

PostPosted: Sun July 07, 2019 9:23 pm 
tl;dr

tragabigzanda wrote:
Kevin Davis wrote:

D'oh, can't believe I forgot Rust Never Sleeps. Was just a lazy oversight on my part.

Figured as much, as the rest of your list was pretty on-point. I'm definitely on board with any list recommending "Trans" and "Silver and Gold."

PostPosted: Sun July 07, 2019 9:25 pm 
The Master

I legit think Trans is a fantastic record. Some really great melodies and riffs in there. Amazing experiment that yielded a very worthy result.

Fork in the road has some great songs as well. Title track, just singing a song, light a cadle, johnny magic.... Then it has the absolute hilarity of Cough up the Bucks. That song was kind of the beginning of the downhill slope for Neil up through the promise of the real stuff. Psychedelic Pill and Americana are wonderful though.

PostPosted: Sun July 07, 2019 9:26 pm 
The Master

Other latter day must haves are "are you passionate" and "prairie wind"

PostPosted: Sun July 07, 2019 9:28 pm 
Production Police

Strat wrote:
tragabigzanda wrote:

Not to be missed
After The Goldrush
Harvest
Time Fades Away
On The Beach
Tonight's the Night
Zuma
American Stars N' Bars
Reactor
Ragged Glory
Sleeps With Angels
Mirror Ball
Silver & Gold
Prairie Wind

False. I hate the POTR stuff. They're an incredible live band for him but the material is god awful except for maybe 1 ridiculous song.

I must have seen "STRAT :heartbeat: s PUTR" scrawled on a restroom wall somewhere and misread it.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 11585 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 316, 317, 318, 319, 320, 321, 322 ... 580  Next

Board index » Word on the Street » Other Bands