The board's server will undergo upgrade maintenance tonight, Nov 5, 2014, beginning approximately around 10 PM ET. Prepare for some possible down time during this process.
FAQ    Search

Board index » Word on the Street » Other Bands

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 11496 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 481, 482, 483, 484, 485, 486, 487 ... 575  Next
 Post subject: Re: Post Random Music-Related Thoughts You Have
PostPosted: Mon August 01, 2022 4:11 pm 
NEVER STOP JAMMING!

His recent album did kinda suck though

PostPosted: Tue August 02, 2022 2:26 am 
Future Drummer

Pearl Jam has this big hit song called "Better Man". Therefore they suck and deserve to die in prison.

PostPosted: Tue August 02, 2022 2:40 am 
10Club Complaint Department

bodysnatcher wrote:
Is Joni Mitchell sort of like Bob Dylan? They’ve been heralded by the upper echelon as geniuses and we’ve just been told to and shamed into liking them?

At the risk of incurring the wrath of Jorge: yes.

PostPosted: Tue August 02, 2022 3:56 am 
An enigma of a man shaped hole in the wall between reality and the soul of the devil.

Wendy Carlos's Twin wrote:
Pearl Jam has this big hit song called "Better Man". Therefore they suck and deserve to die in prison.

BetterMan hasn't hurt anyone. Big Yellow Taxi set back music and environmentalism at least 10000 years.

“And truly, if life had no purpose, and I had to choose nonsense, this would be the most desirable nonsense for me as well."

PostPosted: Tue August 02, 2022 9:19 pm 
10Club Complaint Department

are you able to separate the art from the artist? i personally know a few people who will still listen to ryan adams, including my wife sometimes. he's had struggles with addiction, but also is a dirtbag. same with mark kozelek, although i don't know he's an addict.

anyway, i won't stop my wife or anyone around me, for that matter, if they played an artist who's dirtbaggery has overshadowed their art.

i used to like and purchase music made by ducktails' matt mondanile, also formerly of real estate. i really enjoyed his ducktails stuff. after the allegations came out, and he doubled down on his accusers and got dropped by domino, i stopped listening. same thing with kozelek. i'm sure there are artists i listen to currently who could one day be exposed as dirtbags as well. i mean, who knows what those other guys were thinking about when writing the songs i came to love?

i've seen some folks here post in the ryan adams thread, mostly discussing his continuous decline.

does anyone else have an issue separating the two?

PostPosted: Tue August 02, 2022 9:52 pm 
The Master

No I don’t separate them and will often skip someone’s creative project if I think they are horrible.

But in the case of Louis Ck, whose work I love, I still consume the art. I just accept that I’m making a moral compromise any time I pay for his art.

Last edited by tragabigzanda on Tue August 02, 2022 10:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Tue August 02, 2022 9:55 pm 
Rank This Poster

Was watching the Daredevil TV show and heard a song I could maybe like. Looked it up, it's hardcore punk rock band "The Warriors." Worth diving into?

PostPosted: Tue August 02, 2022 10:20 pm 
NYUCK NYUCK NYUCK

dad wrote:
are you able to separate the art from the artist? i personally know a few people who will still listen to ryan adams, including my wife sometimes. he's had struggles with addiction, but also is a dirtbag. same with mark kozelek, although i don't know he's an addict.

anyway, i won't stop my wife or anyone around me, for that matter, if they played an artist who's dirtbaggery has overshadowed their art.

i used to like and purchase music made by ducktails' matt mondanile, also formerly of real estate. i really enjoyed his ducktails stuff. after the allegations came out, and he doubled down on his accusers and got dropped by domino, i stopped listening. same thing with kozelek. i'm sure there are artists i listen to currently who could one day be exposed as dirtbags as well. i mean, who knows what those other guys were thinking about when writing the songs i came to love?

i've seen some folks here post in the ryan adams thread, mostly discussing his continuous decline.

does anyone else have an issue separating the two?

Varies case by case. Usually influenced by a variety of factors, such as the extent of their horribleness, how much their work meant to me before discovering said horribleness, and how much of the horribleness is evident in the work itself. When I really love a movie or a song I tend to love it very deeply, and I usually can't just make myself unlove it because of something else the maker did. Just not wired that way.

PostPosted: Tue August 02, 2022 10:31 pm 
NEVER STOP JAMMING!

Good answer Jorge.

Had not heard about Matt Mondanile. Really love Real Estate’s Atlas album.

PostPosted: Tue August 02, 2022 10:32 pm 
NEVER STOP JAMMING!

Agreed with Jorge’s take. For instance, I still really enjoy American Beauty and House of Cards. I still have extremely fond memories of the Cosby Show as a kid. Were the things they did horrible? Of course. Maybe I draw a line in the sand and anything new they made I’d avoid. For instance, let’s say Eddie Vedder got accused and admitted to something terrible next year. It wouldn’t taint or affect what his music meant to me from 1992 to 2022. But would I buy any more projects? No.

But also… for instance your examples of Ryan Adams or the Mark Koz guy. I hate both of their music, before they were discovered to be monsters. So now I feel justified in just hating and avoiding all of their catalogue in general.

PostPosted: Tue August 02, 2022 10:35 pm 
The Master

Yeah on par with Jorge and bodysnatcher:

Certain works by Woody Allen resonated with me very deeply before I took a real look at things that had been there, but of which I was only vaguely familiar. Fortunately his more recent movies suck, so it’s easy to let him go now that I have a better sense of what a creep he is/was

PostPosted: Tue August 02, 2022 10:50 pm 
Future Drummer

There are a few people who are/were so horrible that I can’t enjoy anything they’re in. For instance I was never a huge Werner Herzog fan but anything with Klaus Kinski is now an automatic no from me since his daughter’s book.

PostPosted: Tue August 02, 2022 10:52 pm 
Future Drummer

I do get a lot of self-satisfaction mileage out of never having liked Louis CK and having pointed out the creepiness of his show before everything came out

PostPosted: Tue August 02, 2022 10:55 pm 
The Master

Curious what you found creepy? The stuff with Adlon?

PostPosted: Tue August 02, 2022 10:57 pm 
Future Drummer

There is literally an ep where he tries to chat up a black girl at the store, and she’s not receptive so he follows her home and accosts her outside her apartment wanting to know why she’s not attracted to him. There might be bits that I’m remembering wrong but that’s the gist

PostPosted: Tue August 02, 2022 11:01 pm 
NYUCK NYUCK NYUCK

He straight up tries to rape Pamela Adlon in one of the later episodes. That was very weird

PostPosted: Tue August 02, 2022 11:02 pm 
The Master

bart wrote:
There is literally an ep where he tries to chat up a black girl at the store, and she’s not receptive so he follows her home and accosts her outside her apartment wanting to know why she’s not attracted to him. There might be bits that I’m remembering wrong but that’s the gist

Oh yeah I loved that episode

PostPosted: Tue August 02, 2022 11:38 pm 
Rank This Poster

isn't josh homme a huge asshole? i love his music.

PostPosted: Wed August 03, 2022 12:49 am 
An enigma of a man shaped hole in the wall between reality and the soul of the devil.

I love all these people.

“And truly, if life had no purpose, and I had to choose nonsense, this would be the most desirable nonsense for me as well."

PostPosted: Wed August 03, 2022 12:51 am 

Fuck Mark Ruffalo though. Or people of his ilk.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 11496 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 481, 482, 483, 484, 485, 486, 487 ... 575  Next

Board index » Word on the Street » Other Bands