The board's server will undergo upgrade maintenance tonight, Nov 5, 2014, beginning approximately around 10 PM ET. Prepare for some possible down time during this process.
FAQ    Search

Board index » Word on the Street » Other Bands

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 11584 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 202, 203, 204, 205, 206, 207, 208 ... 580  Next
 Post subject: Re: Post Random Music-Related Thoughts You Have
PostPosted: Tue January 30, 2018 7:19 pm 
Looks Like a Cat

It's catchy as hell, though. It's got a great beat. And they do look good together.

PostPosted: Tue January 30, 2018 7:22 pm 
The Master

theplatypus wrote:
Pop's in a good place. There is some unbearable garbage (like that gratingly schmaltzy Ed Sheeran and Andrea Bocelli song, or that eye-gougingly boring "Rockstar" song), but there's also some interesting, inventive and well-crafted stuff that blends genres together in cool ways. At the very least, the current pop landscape can't possibly be worse than when the Black Eyed Peas were active.

Aw man, you mean the Post Malone song? He’s great.

PostPosted: Tue January 30, 2018 7:23 pm 
NYUCK NYUCK NYUCK

I just think that song is SOOOOOOO BORING

PostPosted: Tue January 30, 2018 7:23 pm 
NEVER STOP JAMMING!

i dig that song, but i also really dig 21 Savage

PostPosted: Tue January 30, 2018 7:24 pm 
The Master

washing machine wrote:
bune wrote:
Anders wrote:
washing machine wrote:
Do we categorize Cardi B as pop? I really enjoy Cardi B's approach.

Had to look her up. The first video I found:

I feel like I'm watching a crossover episode of Fresh Prince and In Living Color.

I like this song okay, but it also hits on everything I dislike about pop music in 2018. This obsession with nineties style and references in an attempt to reconnect with the audience's childhood. I don't like how it just reinforces the millennial (sorry LV) tendency to avoid "adulting." Also, most of these artists and their primary audience were like six years old when the nineties ended.

I don’t think this stuff is attempting to reconnect with childhood or avoid being an adult at all. It’s just fashion, and it’s pretty normal for generational style to be informed by aesthetics that influenced them in thier formative years.

PostPosted: Tue January 30, 2018 7:25 pm 
Future Drummer

Holy '80's Batman! :shock:

Btw, not that anyone cares but Uptown Funk was Mark Ronson featuring Bruno Mars, so love it or hate it, he didn't write it.

PostPosted: Tue January 30, 2018 7:26 pm 
NEVER STOP JAMMING!

i totally get the appeal behind Bruno Mars, no doubt about it. and i'm asking this honestly, bc i have no idea... but who's his target audience? i ask, bc i feel like everything he does is just a rehash of something that's been done before. his songs, his aesthetic, his videos, his dancing. if his audience is younger, do they not know better and think he's original? if his audience is older, is he tapping into nostalgia? or maybe it's both, and he's hitting all ages at full stride.

PostPosted: Tue January 30, 2018 7:27 pm 
Looks Like a Cat

bodysnatcher wrote:
i dig that song, but i also really dig 21 Savage

ugh

PostPosted: Tue January 30, 2018 7:27 pm 
The Master

bodysnatcher wrote:
i totally get the appeal behind Bruno Mars, no doubt about it. and i'm asking this honestly, bc i have no idea... but who's his target audience? i ask, bc i feel like everything he does is just a rehash of something that's been done before. his songs, his aesthetic, his videos, his dancing. if his audience is younger, do they not know better and think he's original? if his audience is older, is he tapping into nostalgia? or maybe it's both, and he's hitting all ages at full stride.

This is a big part of why I find him boring. His whole schtick is based on being derivative. It’s not interesting at all.

PostPosted: Tue January 30, 2018 7:31 pm 
NEVER STOP JAMMING!

LoathedVermin72 wrote:
bodysnatcher wrote:

This is a big part of why I find him boring. His whole schtick is based on being derivative. It’s not interesting at all.

completely agreed. he's just not original at all.

PostPosted: Tue January 30, 2018 7:32 pm 
NEVER STOP JAMMING!

LV what'd you think of that Kendrick performance at the Grammys?

PostPosted: Tue January 30, 2018 7:33 pm 
NYUCK NYUCK NYUCK

bodysnatcher wrote:
LoathedVermin72 wrote:
bodysnatcher wrote:

Originality is nice but it's not a requirement; a previously existing idea can be executed in an engaging and exciting way. The problem is his stuff is tepid and characterless.

PostPosted: Tue January 30, 2018 7:34 pm 
10Club Complaint Department

NEVER STOP JAMMING!

bodysnatcher wrote:

Not sure, but:

«To date, he has sold over 200 million records worldwide, making him one of the best-selling artists of all time. Seven of his singles are among the best-selling singles of all time: in order of release date, "Just the Way You Are", "Grenade", "The Lazy Song", "Locked Out of Heaven", "When I Was Your Man", "Treasure", and "Uptown Funk". As of 2018, the singer’s total single sales exceed 180 million singles worldwide. According to the Recording Industry Association of America (RIAA), he is the sixth-bestselling digital-single artist in the United States with sales of 52.5 million.»

The Master

bodysnatcher wrote:
LV what'd you think of that Kendrick performance at the Grammys?

I didn’t watch the Grammys, but while I like Kendrick, I usually find his TV performances to be poor. I think the way they are conceived and orchestrated is often emptily provocative in a banal way that misrepresents what makes the music compelling.

Looks Like a Cat

LoathedVermin72 wrote:
washing machine wrote:
bune wrote:
Anders wrote:
washing machine wrote:
Do we categorize Cardi B as pop? I really enjoy Cardi B's approach.

Had to look her up. The first video I found:

I feel like I'm watching a crossover episode of Fresh Prince and In Living Color.

I like this song okay, but it also hits on everything I dislike about pop music in 2018. This obsession with nineties style and references in an attempt to reconnect with the audience's childhood. I don't like how it just reinforces the millennial (sorry LV) tendency to avoid "adulting." Also, most of these artists and their primary audience were like six years old when the nineties ended.

I don’t think this stuff is attempting to reconnect with childhood or avoid being an adult at all. It’s just fashion, and it’s pretty normal for generational style to be informed by aesthetics that influenced them in thier formative years.

That's not been my experience. When I see this stuff shared on facebook and see young people play this for each other on their phones at the bar I work at, it's usually bundled with other traits of arrested development. More enlightened music fans and the artists themselves can dig deeper, but I think a majority of people this is marketed to are addicted to nostalgia and afraid of fully embracing the future.

PostPosted: Tue January 30, 2018 7:35 pm 
The Master

theplatypus wrote:
bodysnatcher wrote:
LoathedVermin72 wrote:
bodysnatcher wrote:

Originality is nice but it's not a requirement; a previously existing idea can be executed in an engaging and exciting way. The problem is his stuff is tepid and characterless.

Yep

PostPosted: Tue January 30, 2018 7:37 pm 
NEVER STOP JAMMING!

LoathedVermin72 wrote:
theplatypus wrote:
bodysnatcher wrote:
LoathedVermin72 wrote:
bodysnatcher wrote:

Yep

yeah, agreed. by originality, i guess i didn't mean inventing some brand new thing no one's ever seen. everything is copied or used as an inspiration, but i find the ones that stick out to me are the ones who are able to put their own new spin on it. Bruno Mars, on the other hand, has no spin.

PostPosted: Tue January 30, 2018 7:37 pm 
NEVER STOP JAMMING!

I don’t think there is a single other artist out there that could pull off an orignal The Police inspired song, and make it sound as authentic as Mars.
So really don’t know what you are talking about.

PostPosted: Tue January 30, 2018 7:39 pm 
The Master

Anders wrote:
I don’t think there is a single other artist out there that could pull off an orignal The Police inspired song, and make it sound as authentic as Mars.
So really don’t know what you are talking about.

This is a weirdly specific hypothetical concept to laud someone for

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 11584 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 202, 203, 204, 205, 206, 207, 208 ... 580  Next

Board index » Word on the Street » Other Bands