The board's server will undergo upgrade maintenance tonight, Nov 5, 2014, beginning approximately around 10 PM ET. Prepare for some possible down time during this process.
FAQ    Search

Board index » Word on the Street » Other Bands

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 11584 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 190, 191, 192, 193, 194, 195, 196 ... 580  Next
 Post subject: Re: Post Random Music-Related Thoughts You Have
PostPosted: Wed October 18, 2017 3:44 pm 
Posting (live)

Strat wrote:
Justin Vernon has one of the most magnificent voices to ever fly across this land

http://www.npr.org/event/music/55830967 ... gle-person

Man, I love him.

PostPosted: Wed October 18, 2017 3:47 pm 
Production Police

theplatypus wrote:
tragabigzanda wrote:
:? I watched the first half of the vid, and didn't see anything dickish; he even pokes fun at himself for being part of the old guard.

Did you see the part where someone calls out the name of his book, and his first instinct was to run towards that person to confront them, assign malice to their actions and talk about their "massive elitist ego"? That was pretty dickish

You mean when the girl said "Get on the bus!"? Man, I read that situation totally differently. Seemed like his "massive elitist ego" talk was just him continuing the thought train he had been on with the camera crew, and the girl didn't look upset to me at all; looks like she's positively beaming to be meeting one of her heroes.

PostPosted: Wed October 18, 2017 3:57 pm 
NYUCK NYUCK NYUCK

Well, the dickishness of your actions is not determined by the reactions of other people. Also, to me, they all seemed put off by how weird he was being ("you don't have to be paranoid...") but trying to play it off.

Get in the Van is the name of his autobiography

PostPosted: Wed October 18, 2017 4:00 pm 
The Master

tragabigzanda wrote:
Strat wrote:
Justin Vernon has one of the most magnificent voices to ever fly across this land

Go back to bed, you're still drunk.

Ill murder you

PostPosted: Wed October 18, 2017 4:01 pm 
Production Police

theplatypus wrote:
Well, the dickishness of your actions is not determined by the reactions of other people.

Isn't it though? If one makes a joke and the audience laughs, then the comedian has read the room properly; if people are offended, then the comedian has misunderstood something.

theplatypus wrote:
Get in the Van is the name of his autobiography

Yeah, my mind spit out the Spike Lee movie instead of the Henry Rollins book.

PostPosted: Wed October 18, 2017 4:03 pm 
NYUCK NYUCK NYUCK

tragabigzanda wrote:
theplatypus wrote:
Well, the dickishness of your actions is not determined by the reactions of other people.

Isn't it though?

I don't think so

I don't know if you've been following the Ben Affleck mini-scandal, but if you have, did you see how he groped that reporter's boob on camera, and she laughed it off (and much later revealed that she found it very disturbing)? It's a dick move regardless of how she reacted outwardly to it in the moment

PostPosted: Wed October 18, 2017 4:18 pm 
Production Police

theplatypus wrote:
tragabigzanda wrote:
theplatypus wrote:

Isn't it though?

I don't think so

I don't know if you've been following the Ben Affleck mini-scandal, but if you have, did you see how he groped that reporter's boob on camera, and she laughed it off (and much later revealed that she found it very disturbing)? It's a dick move regardless of how she reacted outwardly to it in the moment

I have been following the Affleck scandal a little bit, but I thought the girl said she was fine with it, that it was an act for the camera? But your point stands. And of course Henry has definitely said some boneheaded things in the past (his thoughts on suicide being one recent example). I just didn't get the vibe that anyone in this particular video was upset, and certainly not trying to suppress a similar emotion. But maybe I'm just misreading them? Or maybe she needs you to tell her how upset she should be. Either scenario is totally possible.

PostPosted: Wed October 18, 2017 4:21 pm 
Posting (live)

Strat wrote:
tragabigzanda wrote:
Strat wrote:

Go back to bed, you're still drunk.

Ill murder you

Want an alibi?

PostPosted: Wed October 18, 2017 4:25 pm 
NYUCK NYUCK NYUCK

tragabigzanda wrote:
theplatypus wrote:
tragabigzanda wrote:
theplatypus wrote:

Isn't it though?

I don't think so

I have been following the Affleck scandal a little bit, but I thought the girl said she was fine with it, that it was an act for the camera? But your point stands. And of course Henry has definitely said some boneheaded things in the past (his thoughts on suicide being one recent example). I just didn't get the vibe that anyone in this particular video was upset, and certainly not trying to suppress a similar emotion. But maybe I'm just misreading them? Or maybe she needs you to tell her how upset she should be. Either scenario is totally possible.

You're thinking of the wrong girl -- I'm talking about the one who was groped without her consent, not the one who got on his lap as part of a running joke

But yes, I think you're misreading. You are Trag

PostPosted: Wed October 18, 2017 4:34 pm 
The Master

I like My War

PostPosted: Wed October 18, 2017 4:48 pm 
Mind Your Tanners

tragabigzanda wrote:
theplatypus wrote:
bune wrote:
Reading "Do I Come Here Often?" from Hank Rollins and holy balls that guy's a dick. Insufferable even. And he's in his mid-thirties when he wrote it? He's exactly the person he's hating on through the whole book! Talking shit to fans who just want to talk to him and have him sign a record, holy crap.

Yeah he is / was a fucking dick. Here he is being a comple asshole to some people who have the audacity to: 1) be young, 2) recognize him in a public setting. He comes off as super insecure about being the "old-guard".

He seems to have mellowed out a bit with age. His episode of Hot Ones was good.

:? I watched the first half of the vid, and didn't see anything dickish; he even pokes fun at himself for being part of the old guard.

He's always been both extremely literal, and extremely intellectual; I don't think he values emotion too much. He did a good episode of his podcast recently where he talks quite a bit about how difficult it is for him to connect with people socially, how it feels so unnatural to him, and that's why he tends to spend most of his time by himself, reading and writing.

He's not a major hero of mine or anything, but I've always found him to be very perceptive to the masculine mind set, and he seems to have a good sense of humor about himself.

That's what I've known about him as well so to read this is more than a little weird.

PostPosted: Wed October 18, 2017 4:56 pm 
Production Police

theplatypus wrote:
tragabigzanda wrote:
theplatypus wrote:
tragabigzanda wrote:
theplatypus wrote:

Isn't it though?

I don't think so

You're thinking of the wrong girl -- I'm talking about the one who was groped without her consent, not the one who got on his lap as part of a running joke

Ah, I had not heard about that.

PostPosted: Wed October 18, 2017 5:11 pm 
The Master

Oh, man. That Henry Rollins video. Geezes, and i thought I was insecure about getting older

PostPosted: Wed October 18, 2017 5:12 pm 
Production Police

That's it, I'm filming a "Leave Henry Alone!" video as soon as I get home.

PostPosted: Wed October 18, 2017 5:12 pm 
The Master

tragabigzanda wrote:
That's it, I'm filming a "Leave Henry Alone!" video as soon as I get home.

If Eddie Vedder acted like that you'd be all over him. Sure as shit.

Go back to bed, ice cream man.

PostPosted: Wed October 18, 2017 5:38 pm 
NEVER STOP JAMMING!

when I was 15, i took a "Liar" cd single to a school dance and convinced the DJ – who had never heard of it – to play it. he turned it off once the first chorus hit.

PostPosted: Wed October 18, 2017 5:52 pm 
Production Police

bodysnatcher wrote:
when I was 15, i took a "Liar" cd single to a school dance and convinced the DJ – who had never heard of it – to play it. he turned it off once the first chorus hit.

The surprising prologue is that his mind was so blown that he started a hardcore/funk/jazz fusion band the next day.

PostPosted: Wed October 18, 2017 5:54 pm 
NEVER STOP JAMMING!

tragabigzanda wrote:
bodysnatcher wrote:

The surprising prologue is that his mind was so blown that he started a hardcore/funk/jazz fusion band the next day.

i'm pretty sure he was recently arrested with heroin, so makes sense

PostPosted: Wed October 18, 2017 6:23 pm 
Rank This Poster

LetMeSleep wrote:
Strat wrote:

Man, I love him.

I really dislike his voice. And most of his music.

PostPosted: Wed October 18, 2017 6:26 pm 
The Master

I have no idea how anyone could hate that voice. its so full and beautiful and perfect. From deep baritone to angelic

You are all a bunch of monsters.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 11584 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 190, 191, 192, 193, 194, 195, 196 ... 580  Next

Board index » Word on the Street » Other Bands